Rams sign Tre'Davious White

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Maybe we went BPA and maybe we didn't. You don't believe DT was a need for the Rams in 2014? Brockers was going into his 3rd year and who else? Cudjo? I say DT was a need. Can you say with certainty AD was their #1 BPA there and not Cooks? Or Zach Martin? Sure BPA is BS.
Snead actually stated in a recent interview that DT wasn't really a need when they drafted AD. They just couldn't pass him up. I'm thinnin that meant they viewed him as BPA.
Sorry a simple typo mistake was so offensive it required your mod powers be used :laugh4:
Never deprive someone of their O.

Tano

Legend
Interesting Point.

I was trying to think of a Cornerback that came back from a torn Achilles but couldn't come-up with one.

Then I tried to think of a good CB that failed to come back from a torn Achilles. Again, couldn't think of one.

Then I got tired, and took a nap.

Seriously, I did not do a deep-dive but other than Jason Verrett (who had an assortment of serious injuries),
I can not think of CBs who have suffered torn Achilles. There must be some.

When you posted your comment, were you thinking of any specific cornerbacks?
Ram CB in 2017 or so who tore his achilles.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Good question and to be fair I haven't really watched much of him, just like I haven't really read Mobey Dick. In the case of the former and later, I use a Cliff Notes. My cliff notes happen to be Nate Tice and Dane Brugler. And I've watched just a bit of his tape.

Arm length is gonna be an issue at the next level and I think you could see it against stiffer competition in college. It's not like UCLA was tusseling with the big boys a lot. I think he's gonna have a hard time getting a hand on good tackles. His speed and bend seem good but not elite and sounds like he may not be able to add strength to his frame to help out with the run and speed to power moves.

It sounds like he's maxed out athletically so I think he'll probably be a boom and bust run defender who will outwork some tackles for sacks with great technique and tenacity. Definitely some second effort success.

But he doesn't have the speed, athleticism, height, arm length, and prospect for growth athletically that would make him a top 10 talent or even top 15 talent in this draft.

Now if someone has watched a ton of him, happy to hear differently, or they think there's some untapped potential in him athletically that can be mined, sure. BTW, nothing wrong with being a 2nd tier rusher and hope if we grab him he'll be a high end one! I suspect there's better players for us to draft at 19 though. Of course, maybe I watch more tape and change my mind.

Bad year for edges. No Will Anderson, Bosa, Hutchinson (not really sure he's not a super high 2 himself), Josh Allen, Brian Burns to be found here.
Excellent and well thought out response honestly. I've seen a fair amount of him, but, you are not wrong in the fact that he didn't play a ton of NFL talent. But, he did play well if every game. Really no down games, which is pretty rare for any prospect. I honestly liked Hutch better then Anderson coming out and, as far as on field performance, like Latu's college tape more then Andersons. Of course, Anderson was playing against the SEC while Latu was playing the PAC12. Although, based on this years draft, it does suggest the PAC12 had some pretty great OL's.

Athletically, he isn't going to blow you out of the water, nor is he a slouch. IMO, he is far and away superior to the other prospects with his technique coming out. Another thing I love about him is, he is not a negative in pass coverage. He actually excelled in dropping back when the play called for it.

An elite pass rusher, an above average athlete. Perhaps he is athletically maxed out, but, I'd give the NFL trainers a few years with him and determine that. Of the guys you mentioned, I'd rank them (coming out): 1. Bosa 2. Hutch 3. Latu 4. Anderson (who stole the DROY from Turner 100% ).

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Ram CB in 2017 or so who tore his achilles.
Kayvon Webster? He played only 2 games each in 2018 and 2019 but was that because of the achillles or because he wasn't talented? He started 2 games in 4 years prior to signing in LA and hardly played years 2-4, insanely low snap counts. Then he started 11 games with the Rams.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Excellent and well thought out response honestly. I've seen a fair amount of him, but, you are not wrong in the fact that he didn't play a ton of NFL talent. But, he did play well if every game. Really no down games, which is pretty rare for any prospect. I honestly liked Hutch better then Anderson coming out and, as far as on field performance, like Latu's college tape more then Andersons. Of course, Anderson was playing against the SEC while Latu was playing the PAC12. Although, based on this years draft, it does suggest the PAC12 had some pretty great OL's.

Athletically, he isn't going to blow you out of the water, nor is he a slouch. IMO, he is far and away superior to the other prospects with his technique coming out. Another thing I love about him is, he is not a negative in pass coverage. He actually excelled in dropping back when the play called for it.

An elite pass rusher, an above average athlete. Perhaps he is athletically maxed out, but, I'd give the NFL trainers a few years with him and determine that. Of the guys you mentioned, I'd rank them (coming out): 1. Bosa 2. Hutch 3. Latu 4. Anderson (who stole the DROY from Turner 100% ).
I mean, I'll cheer the crap out of him if we get him. But I think I'd be more excited with a Murphy at 19 or a Verse if he's there. Any guy we get at 19 will have some warts, even in the 1st. I think the noodle that keeps noodling my head is how good a prospect Murphy is (not a Donald) and not really being sure there's such a crazy drop off with edge going into top of 2nd*. That's a dangerous game though... trying to predict how the draft will go. So if the Rams love a guy, just grab him and let the draft come to you as you go on.

* @DzRams or someone made a good point, that the draft is more nuanced than saying it's top heavy or deep. That the talent can pool at certain spots. That many of the RBs will be worth valued around the 100 pick in the draft give or take 20 spots. I think the edge talent has some depth picks 20-50 but not much on either side of that. I wonder if there's much difference between Darius Robinson, Kneeland or Ellis and a guy like Laiatu as holisitc prospects (Laiatu seems to have his own benefits of being highly refined in technique).

And then there's Chop Robinson who's probably the best edge prospect in the draft if he was just more consistent. I don't know what to think of him.

Tano

Legend
Kayvon Webster? He played only 2 games each in 2018 and 2019 but was that because of the achillles or because he wasn't talented? He started 2 games in 4 years prior to signing in LA and hardly played years 2-4, insanely low snap counts. Then he started 11 games with the Rams.
I felt he was playing really well when starting for the Rams and really coming into his own as a CB. But then boom he hurt his Achilles and was never heard from again.

And I feel there have been other achilles injuries besides the two I have brought up that the players really had their ability go down

But I can't remember them.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Interesting Point.

I was trying to think of a Cornerback that came back from a torn Achilles but couldn't come-up with one.

Then I tried to think of a good CB that failed to come back from a torn Achilles. Again, couldn't think of one.

Then I got tired, and took a nap.

Seriously, I did not do a deep-dive but other than Jason Verrett (who had an assortment of serious injuries),
I can not think of CBs who have suffered torn Achilles. There must be some.

When you posted your comment, were you thinking of any specific cornerbacks?
Richard Sherman in 2017. Made the Pro Bowl and 2nd team All-Pro in 2019. Though I keep seeing ruptured when referring to his injury, so I don't know if it's a full tear.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Like this signing. But lets be realistic, he's coming off two major injuries. He's not going to be 2020 Tre'davious White. It still absolutely should NOT take us out of the running for a CB in R1.

I'm still taking Cooper DeJean in R1. Played A LOT of zone at Iowa like we do here. He's played inside, outside and CASH which is similar to our former STAR position.

We evidently don't give a shit about our pass rush right now, so load up on another DB and make the QBs hold the ball longer. And then go DL/EDGE next 2 picks.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
We evidently don't give a shit about our pass rush right now, so load up on another DB and make the QBs hold the ball longer. And then go DL/EDGE next 2 picks.
That's one option. Another would be "give a shit" about our pass rush and go that direction with #19. I would think a rookie pass rusher would be as helpful as a rookie CB. And as it stands right now, the secondary is in better shape than the pass rush, regardless what version of T. White we get.

dang

Legend
That's one option. Another would be "give a shit" about our pass rush and go that direction with #19. I would think a rookie pass rusher would be as helpful as a rookie CB. And as it stands right now, the secondary is in better shape than the pass rush, regardless what version of T. White we get.
Seems we see a couple Rookie CBs excel coming out of the gate. I don’t recall hearing the same about edge rooks. But again I don’t recall knowing where I put my keys most mornings.

WestCoastRam

Legend
We have enough needs that picking the best defender available at 19 may be the way to go. We have needs at OLB, DT, DE, CB, S... I'm not sure we should be so picky.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Seems we see a couple Rookie CBs excel coming out of the gate. I don’t recall hearing the same about edge rooks. But again I don’t recall knowing where I put my keys most mornings.
Micah Parsons, Joe Tryon-Shoyinka, Odaf Oweh, Jaelan Phillips, Will Anderson

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Micah Parsons, Joe Tryon-Shoyinka, Odaf Oweh, Jaelan Phillips, Will Anderson
Byron Young. His 8 sacks 8 tfl 2 forced fumbles for a 3rd round pick is absolutely excelling coming out of the gate. I mean one more sack 2 less tfl and 2 more forced fumbles than the guy that won the popularity contest for DROY and people seem to not consider him around here as somebody to help our defense keep progressing.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
We have enough needs that picking the best defender available at 19 may be the way to go. We have needs at OLB, DT, DE, CB, S... I'm not sure we should be so picky.
Absolutely. Hell, we could even go OT. I hope not because all of the holes are on defense. But as they say, the draft is as much about the future as it is about the now. Alaric is on a 1 year deal and Havenstein has 2024 and 2025 left on his. Plan ahead!

Many say, 'we need edge/pass rush' or 'we need CB/secondary' or 'we need DT/DL'. But I remember (as we all should) there was always a need for OL and every draft it went in another direction. They would say, 'we have them in house'. It wasn't popular but it worked. Who's to say they don't feel that way about the secondary or pass rush?

The one thing I know about our staff....we never know what they're gonna do in the draft. And when it comes to the draft, that's half the fun for me. I love it when a fan, who's done hours of research says, "they should have taken ______ instead". Like the staff was throwing darts at the wall.

dang

Legend
Byron Young. His 8 sacks 8 tfl 2 forced fumbles for a 3rd round pick is absolutely excelling coming out of the gate. I mean one more sack 2 less tfl and 2 more forced fumbles than the guy that won the popularity contest for DROY and people seem to not consider him around here as somebody to help our defense keep progressing.
It’s seems most of his production was in the first 10 games. I’m pulling for his progression but not sure he’s the wrecking ball we covet.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It’s seems most of his production was in the first 10 games. I’m pulling for his progression but not sure he’s the wrecking ball we covet.
Seems you're wrong? Two sacks in December and one in the final game against the Whiners in January's sole game for 3 sacks in the final 5 weeks.

And 1/3 of Will Anderson's production came in one game against a shitty Atlanta team with 4 sacks in the final 5 weeks. Those 4 sacks were 2 against the Titans and 2 against Denver. Clearly he's not a wrecking ball either in spite of a DROY award.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Snead actually stated in a recent interview that DT wasn't really a need when they drafted AD. They just couldn't pass him up. I'm thinnin that meant they viewed him as BPA.

Never deprive someone of their O.
Mike Waufle pounded the table -- "threatened to quit" if Rams didn't take Donald. Rams were going to take manziel perhaps with 2nd first ...

in 2nd round Rams were going to take either Hageman or Tuitt ... to match with Brockers ...

After they got Donald they changed that ... too good to pass up, as you said ... because Waufle knew that Donald was special -- thank goodness