Rams sign Tre'Davious White

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Perceived by anyone who watched the team the prior season I suppose. Hard to believe that anyone could see a team that's got an improving 1st round pick and a free agent signee coming off a good season starting at DT could go into a draft thinking a DT is such a need to use a 1st round selection at the position. BTW, as I recall Lanford had a good season with the Colts but then had an issue with his knee which pretty much did him in.
Not arguing. I don't remember what were their needs in the 2014 draft? They took LT, DT / S / RB / S / no 5th rd / CB, QB / OL, DB, DE, OL.

QB? They had Bradford. Unfortunately he was injured in preseason and missed the year.
OL? They had Jake Long at LT. Saffold at LG. Wells at C. The acquired Davin Joseph for RG and they had Barksdale at RT. They drafted GRob.
TE? They had Cook and Kendricks
WR? They had Britt, Bailey, Pettis, Quick and Tavon Austin. After Watkins, Evans and OBJ, who was left? Cooks went 20th. Matthews, Davante, ARob and Landry went in the 2nd. Six are still playing from that draft.
RB? They had Stacy, Richardson, Cunningham and Pead. They drafted Mason in the third (the 5th RB off the board) but that was a weak class.

The defense was decent.

They had Quinn, Chris Long and William Hayes who IIRC, played inside and DE.
Brockers and Langford inside. They drafted AD.
At linebacker they had Ogletree, JL and acquired Dunbar.
Corner was solid with Tru Jo, Jenkins and McGee. They drafted EJ Gaines.
Safeties were McLeod and McDonald. They drafted Joyner and Mo Alexander.

I don't remember what their specific needs were though. Looking back that seems like it was a weak draft anyway.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
FWIW, I think the top of this draft class at edge are all number 2 type edges. I don't think there's a dominate edge to be found. Now, I think Murphy and to a lesser extent Newton can be dominant DTs. I think grabbing one of them and another secondary edge type like Young is most likely our best bet in this draft. And that's the pass rush we'll need to live with next year.
Wow! So what you're saying is, given the choice between #2 type Edge rusher and a dominant DT, you'd take the DT? In other words, taking an Edge is drafting more for need than BPA and taking a potentially dominant DT is drafting for BPA more than need? So I guess the BPA guys should be happy with a DT?

Just curious, how would you rank the needs after our UFA performance?

Edge
DT
LB
CB
S

WestCoastRam

Legend
Wow! So what you're saying is, given the choice between #2 type Edge rusher and a dominant DT, you'd take the DT? In other words, taking an Edge is drafting more for need than BPA and taking a potentially dominant DT is drafting for BPA more than need? So I guess the BPA guys should be happy with a DT?

Just curious, how would you rank the needs after our UFA performance?

Edge
DT
LB
CB
S
Well, I don't know that drafting a dominant DT is drafting more for BPA than need, we need a DT too. I do agree with your above paragraph and it's supposition but would add this, we need pass rush help, I don't care if it comes from the edge or DT. And if a far superior DT is available to an edge in the 1st that can provide a robust pass rush, perhaps as good as the edges available (pressures more important than sacks) than get the DT and get an edge in round 2. I don't see a huge drop off between Laiatu and Verse and the rest and a number of edges in round 2 right now. I do see Murphy and Newton being far superior to the DTs below them (though there are a lot of different flavors to DT).

I'd say I'd rank our needs as:
Edge
DT
CB
S
LB

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
Oh damn I didn't realize the off season was over! Time to panic everyone we're going to give up 70 points a game now!
Yes......yes, it is that time of the offseason for me.
Panic Button Netflix GIF by NailedIt

fearsomefour

Legend
White/Curl/Williams for what we're paying them is tremendous value - I don't think any such value exists in the front 7, which is why I think Edge/DT/LB will be priorities in the draft now
I agree.
All good values.
White is interesting given his injury....that said, with the price tag it certainly makes sense.
The Rams are doing the opposite of what I would do (going on a panic induced spending spree) and not overpaying.
Signing and Edge like Chase Young would look nice on paper and his price tag wasn't too high.....but....his effort is in question and its hard to pay a guy who isn't all in.
D Hunter would have been great too, but, if they didn't think he was worth it, so be it.
After this year I do trust the front office.....I do wonder however.

Tano

Legend
There are. But that does not mean White will be one of them. As I explained Lott had played the position a lot. And when Aeneas Switched, he still moved to slot CB in nickel.

Rod Woodson did it. And others.

But you have to look at their history, their playing style, what that were doing outside their designated positions.

Just watch what they do. With White, I don't see what you are suggesting in the near future -- if ever. Others doing it does not mean he will.
Maybe you are right but having watched White the last 4 or 5 years, I think he could possibly move to safety.

This is just a gut feeling so I could be completely wrong about it.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
I wonder how much depth at a certain position in a draft class might affect this line of thought.

For example. Let's say WR is a team's biggest need and teams believe (like myself) that this WR draft class rivals the 1996 WR draft class.

Today
Keyshawn Johnson is being played by Marvin Harrison Jr.
Terry Glenn is being played by Malik Nabors
Marvin Harrison Sr. is being played by Rome Odunze.

But that class also had Eric Moulds, Amani Toomer, Mushin Muhammed, Bobby Engram, Terrell Owens, & Joe Horn.

Could the team making the selection be better off going with the 2nd highest need first and going WR in the next round?
Absolutely! I was creating a very rudimentary algorithm since fans usually only talk about BPA vs. Need.

But I agree, there are layers to it with positional depth being one of the factors. If the team feels they can get a WR that meets their specifications late into the draft but you can't at other critical positions it makes sense to wait.

Closely related to generalized positional depth is what I call positional depth sweet spot. Where is the value at a position and how tightly grouped is it? For example, this year I think the sweet spot for RB is the 3rd to 4th round. 3rd/early 4th for safeties. How does that play into strategy if a RB or a S is a need?

There are other layers that fans don't consider or know as much as the team does. How they classify need would be more specific. Scheme fit is a factor. Talented players fans like may be off their board due to not fitting the scheme.

What if the Rams feel they need an X WR rather than a Kupp replacement? The general WR class may be deep but the X type without major warts you typically have to get early.

There's many layers to it which is what makes it fun.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Absolutely! I was creating a very rudimentary algorithm since fans usually only talk about BPA vs. Need.

But I agree, there are layers to it with positional depth being one of the factors. If the team feels they can get a WR that meets their specifications late into the draft but you can't at other critical positions it makes sense to wait.

Closely related to generalized positional depth is what I call positional depth sweet spot. Where is the value at a position and how tightly grouped is it? For example, this year I think the sweet spot for RB is the 3rd to 4th round. 3rd/early 4th for safeties. How does that play into strategy if a RB or a S is a need?

There are other layers that fans don't consider or know as much as the team does. How they classify need would be more specific. Scheme fit is a factor. Talented players fans like may be off their board due to not fitting the scheme.

What if the Rams feel they need an X WR rather than a Kupp replacement? The general WR class may be deep but the X type without major warts you typically have to get early.

There's many layers to it which is what makes it fun.
this man thinks draft

dang

Legend
Maybe you are right but having watched White the last 4 or 5 years, I think he could possibly move to safety.

So…
White FS
Lake SS
Curl NB
DWill CB
TBD (Draft or Durant) CB

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53

Well, I think I've shown that you don't always see what is actually happening on the field.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So…
White FS
Lake SS
Curl NB
DWill CB
TBD (Draft or Durant) CB
We're moving White to Safety? I still haven't seen the experts prediction about Jalen moving there come true.

WestCoastRam

Legend
FWIW, I think there's still a scenario where we pick Dejean. He starts at outside corner, moves inside to Star. Lake has a more permanent spot at safety opposite Curl (though not sure Lake can handle safety full time?). White takes over outside CB and Dejean moves into STAR/nickel when we go 5 DBs. This gives White the runway to play at an accustomed level without too much on him as he recovers from injury.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
FWIW, I think there's still a scenario where we pick Dejean. He starts at outside corner, moves inside to Star. Lake has a more permanent spot at safety opposite Curl (though not sure Lake can handle safety full time?). White takes over outside CB and Dejean moves into STAR/nickel when we go 5 DBs. This gives White the runway to play at an accustomed level without too much on him as he recovers from injury.
I love DeJean and cannot see any other scenario than pro-bowls in his future

If the draft boards are right trading back into the back end of round 1 looks like where the value is for us in this draft. I can easily see the best CB DT and LB going between pick 28 and pick 50 so want us to slide down in the first and then trade back up in round 2

DeJean
DT best available
Trotter Jr

That would be some haul

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
So…
White FS
Lake SS
Curl NB
DWill CB
TBD (Draft or Durant) CB
Out of all the players on our CB roster Kendrick’s looks best suited to switch positions. He might be an excellent FS but sure is a liability at CB. That’s even if he can make the team in a much improved secondary

Londoner

Twitchy newcomer
I can easily see the best CB…
DeJean is not the best pure CB. Mitchell, Arnold and Wiggins (with the obvious caveat about his weight) are all better in that role.

I doubt that either Mitchell or Arnold falls to our pick, but I wouldn’t hesitate to draft them if they did.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
DeJean is not the best pure CB. Mitchell, Arnold and Wiggins (with the obvious caveat about his weight) are all better in that role.

I doubt that either Mitchell or Arnold falls to our pick, but I wouldn’t hesitate to draft them if they did.
Time will tell… none of them look like stars to me but we will see. DeJean jumps off the screen. If we continue to play zone concepts then I hope we draft him (he is PFFs top rated CB for what it’s worth)

Who did Mitchell play against, remind me?

Last edited: