Rams sign Tre'Davious White

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
If for some reason Harrison WR is available at 19 yeah I say BPA vs Need.
But Need/BPA takes precedent. Do you take a CB Vs Edge Vs DT or QB/WR?
It's really not that difficult.

Step 1

Rank the players according to talent in pods - Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 3, etc.

Step 2

Rank your needs from greatest to least - E.g. Edge>DT>CB>WR...

Step 3

When your number comes up, take BPA at your greatest need.

Examples:

- Say there is a Tier 1 DT and WR. Take the DT because that need ranks higher than the WR need.
- Say the player left in Tier 1 is a WR or another position far down on the needs list. You either 1) take that player, or 2) trade down to a range where you can a Tier 2 player at a more acute need. In your example, I would take Tier 1 WR, Harrison over Tier 2 DT, Byron Murphy.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Rams defense still could use (notice I didn’t say need to allow for roster promotions) an Edge1 (Young solid at Edge 2), FS, ILB2, DT/DE.
Yeah they have needs all over. But there are varying strengths of need I think.

Corner for example they have options who may step up.

Edge was our top need before AD retired and now it's a nuclear need. Shit's glowing. DT is damn near as bad, when you consider some of these guys may not look too good when they have no snaps next to AD, whose impact affected everyone on that front.

ILB would be nice but you can get away subbing safeties and shit in that role.

FS may be a pretty high need but it's hard to say given that we do have some young players in that room with upside. Like with corner when you have guys who may step up, even if it's not likely that still puts that position at a lower need level than a spot where you have nothing.

Defensive front is almost surely the priority of this draft. Doesn't mean they won't take a corner at 19 of course. If you don't get a good trade offer to move down, and don't like what else is there then take the corner. Or take the LT or whatever else. But out of those first four picks they need to juice this front.

Ram65

Legend
Glad to see a CB added before the draft. I'm sure the Rams checked TD White's health with a fine tooth comb. Tighter coverage will help the pass rush. if they can get a solid edge and a LB with some speed/quickness the defense could be solid enough with a potent offense to make a playoff run.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Perceived by whom? What were the perceived needs back in 2014? LT and what else WR? QB?

Langford? He had a good year in 2013, was relegated to backup in 2014 (thanks to AD) and gone before 2015 (which would have been the 4th year of his Rams contract). In fact he was basically a nobody by 2016 playing 8 games in 2016 and 2017. Perhaps some "experts" had over valued him?

Hell, that's all I'm saying. I'm calling "BPA, BPA, BPA", BS. I'm simply saying BPA with NEED is the best way to go. Many internet experts believe there's a board from #1 to #whatever and teams take #11 if the other 10 are gone when their slot arrives. Yet, Snead has said the Rams target "buckets of players", which to me means "here's these 10 BPAs we have. Who fills the biggest need?"
Perceived by anyone who watched the team the prior season I suppose. Hard to believe that anyone could see a team that's got an improving 1st round pick and a free agent signee coming off a good season starting at DT could go into a draft thinking a DT is such a need to use a 1st round selection at the position. BTW, as I recall Lanford had a good season with the Colts but then had an issue with his knee which pretty much did him in.

All this stuff including info from Bernie and even the late Gil Brandt saying that Odell Beckham was who they wanted was gone over ad nauseum on the realramsfans.com forum.

As mentioned earlier, my guess is that BPA has always been BPA within reason for most, if not all folks. Sure, there are a few that forget that maybe Kiper, Mayock, or whoever's board isn't the end all and that there are 32 different actual draft boards that really matter. But the subject seems to be approached yearly as if most believe in BPA no matter what and those posters get pounced upon and are never rarely given the opportunity to explain, IMO.

Last edited:

LA_vision

Hall of Fame
Finally some adults in the secondary. Last year felt like a bunch of frat boys doing the dumbest shit possible.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Finally some adults in the secondary. Last year felt like a bunch of frat boys doing the dumbest shit possible.
Yeah, seems to be a good mix too if everyone is healthy but I wouldn't pass on a stud CB if one's there. Great time for a rookie to learn with our vets now. I see a lot of DTs I like and quite a few WRs and RBs. It's that Edge and CB I don't think you can pass on at 19. If you don't like either, I'd try and trade down.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion

Step 1

Step 2

Step 3

Examples:

- Say there is a Tier 1 DT and WR. Take the DT because that need ranks higher than the WR need.
- Say the player left in Tier 1 is a WR or another position far down on the needs list. You either 1) take that player, or 2) trade down to a range where you can a Tier 2 player at a more acute need. In your example, I would take Tier 1 WR, Harrison over Tier 2 DT, Byron Murphy.
For what its worth, based off what I’ve seen reported in past drafts, it feels like the rams bake their needs(anong other variables) into their big board. That way they can focus on their board on draft day. But their board isn’t the same as ESPNs board.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
For what its worth, based off what I’ve seen reported in past drafts, it feels like the rams bake their needs(anong other variables) into their big board. That way they can focus on their board on draft day. But their board isn’t the same as ESPNs board.
Yes, if you do these steps, your big board would have need baked into it. You would rank all Tier 1 players from greatest need to lowest need, then Tier 2 players from greatest need to lowest need, and so on.

Snead has said that they position players with similar ratings in groupings - i.e. Tiers.

Memphis Ram

Legend

Step 1

Step 2

Step 3

Examples:

I wonder how much depth at a certain position in a draft class might affect this line of thought.

For example. Let's say WR is a team's biggest need and teams believe (like myself) that this WR draft class rivals the 1996 WR draft class.

Today
Keyshawn Johnson is being played by Marvin Harrison Jr.
Terry Glenn is being played by Malik Nabors
Marvin Harrison Sr. is being played by Rome Odunze.

But that class also had Eric Moulds, Amani Toomer, Mushin Muhammed, Bobby Engram, Terrell Owens, & Joe Horn.

Could the team making the selection be better off going with the 2nd highest need first and going WR in the next round?

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
FWIW, I think the top of this draft class at edge are all number 2 type edges. I don't think there's a dominate edge to be found. Now, I think Murphy and to a lesser extent Newton can be dominant DTs. I think grabbing one of them and another secondary edge type like Young is most likely our best bet in this draft. And that's the pass rush we'll need to live with next year.
@Memento just had a heart attack!

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
@Memento just had a heart attack!

Fucking typos...if I see "dominate" over "dominant" just one more time...

Jennifer Lopez Prime Video GIF by Shotgun Wedding

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
I think there were a few great CBs who became safeties later in their career. Can't remember who off the top of my head.
There are. But that does not mean White will be one of them. As I explained Lott had played the position a lot. And when Aeneas Switched, he still moved to slot CB in nickel.

Rod Woodson did it. And others.

But you have to look at their history, their playing style, what that were doing outside their designated positions.

Just watch what they do. With White, I don't see what you are suggesting in the near future -- if ever. Others doing it does not mean he will.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
I especially liked it because he used it correctly in his next sentence!

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
But some separate DT and DE/OLB, instead of just saying DL. We had Brockers, Langford and Cudjo (UDFA, who was gone in 2014). We didn't have a "need" at DT? I think we did and Donald fit BPA/Need to a T.

Perceived by whom? What were the perceived needs back in 2014? LT and what else WR? QB?

That's right. DT was not a "need" it was a priority ... they wanted someone to upgrade Kendall Langford. At the time Fish loved tall, power DTs. And they were targeting a couple, not in 1st but perhaps 2nd round.

Mike Wauffle pounded the table and make strong statements -- threatened to quit if Rams didn't take Donald --- not that we would have. But he was making a point === DRAFT DONALD

Had they taken someone else in round 1, other than Donald round two they were targeting Ra'Shede Hageman and Stephon Tuitt. One of those would have been a Rams. Kind of a Brockers clone

Joyner would not have been taken/

So, in 2014 was DT as "need" as you ask? Maybe not as big as we think, but Rams thought it was ...

All I can say is praise be to Mike Waufle. He turned the room around.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Other than 2020, that is not a good trend.
You're right, it's just one of a couple red flags ---
1. injury
2. declining production

He does not have the "age" red flag, he's still young ...

but that is why they call its a calculated risk. If he's right, he's going to be upgrade to Spoon.