Rams select Zach Evans (RB) with the 215th pick.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
blue font, bruh? My gut still clenches at the thought Wendall swinging that arm out with the ball, running in traffic...:mad:
Yeah, that brings back a lot of nightmares for sure. I really hated when Wendell was interviewed and he would say rubbish like. "All the good backs fumble." Sorry, Wendell only someone like Barry Sanders can say that and you ain't Barry Sanders....

~ArkyRamsFan~

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, that brings back a lot of nightmares for sure. I really hated when Wendell was interviewed and he would say rubbish like. "All the good backs fumble." Sorry, Wendell only someone like Barry Sanders can say that and you ain't Barry Sanders....

~ArkyRamsFan~
He traumatized the earlier version of me. I seriously could not enjoy ANY of his long runs, because it seemed vey likely the ball would get punched out in the end. HE DROVE ME NUTS!

I was so glad when he was gone.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yeah I am. Gotta be honest. Tired of that position relying on guys who cannot be relied upon. Feel like I'm on crazy pills when it comes to the Rams and RB.

Again though we are due to hit on one of these dice rolls. Maybe we hit on this one. Or maybe Akers is so damn good it doesn't matter.
It is kind of strange. Gurley’s injury hurt the team once he couldn’t run anymore.

Then they draft Henderson who ended up being pretty fragile.

Then Akers who was fumbling too much.

Now another back who has had the fumbles and injuries both.

It seems injuries and funblitis has plagued the Rams backs in recent years. So, why not say, “ let’s focus on durability and sure handedness when drafting RBs.”

Maybe they got that with Kyren Williams, but he’s a situational runningback.

I hope Evans pans out. He could be a great weapon.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It is kind of strange. Gurley’s injury hurt the team once he couldn’t run anymore.

Then they draft Henderson who ended up being pretty fragile.

Then Akers who was fumbling too much.

Now another back who has had the fumbles and injuries both.

It seems injuries and funblitis has plagued the Rams backs in recent years. So, why not say, “ let’s focus on durability and sure handedness when drafting RBs.”

Maybe they got that with Kyren Williams, but he’s a situational runningback.

I hope Evans pans out. He could be a great weapon.
Exactly and they passed on a guy in McBride who personifies what we need.

But @OldSchool is correct that I have gone a bit off the deep end on this dude. Went back and re-read this thread and it surprised me how many posts I had on him so don't let it be said I can't admit when I've gone a bit far. We'll see.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

But @OldSchool is correct that I have gone a bit off the deep end on this dude. Went back and re-read this thread and it surprised me how many posts I had on him so don't let it be said I can't admit when I've gone a bit far. We'll see.
McVay is our HC, and you know what he wants in a HB.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'm not saying this guys the next great Rams RB and we have had many of those we're lucky as a fan base. But I'm not planning which RB's we can pick up in free agency or the draft next year already. Edge and CB were mine and quite a few others primary needs and some of the choices there leave a bit to be desired but we're waiting for game time. As Jrry said McVay has his type of RB and people around here want to change our coaches MO. They want a FB they want a bruiser RB they want the OL full of huge beef. It's not likely to change his style is what makes his offense work and I'm not sure there's anybody on the staff or in the front office that's going to change him. I thought last year we might get some movement with Jay Gruden being brought in with a minor role but it didn't happen. Not sure anybody else short of Rat Boy being his OC or worse yet his boss being able to change these things.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm not saying this guys the next great Rams RB and we have had many of those we're lucky as a fan base. But I'm not planning which RB's we can pick up in free agency or the draft next year already. Edge and CB were mine and quite a few others primary needs and some of the choices there leave a bit to be desired but we're waiting for game time. As Jrry said McVay has his type of RB and people around here want to change our coaches MO. They want a FB they want a bruiser RB they want the OL full of huge beef. It's not likely to change his style is what makes his offense work and I'm not sure there's anybody on the staff or in the front office that's going to change him. I thought last year we might get some movement with Jay Gruden being brought in with a minor role but it didn't happen. Not sure anybody else short of Rat Boy being his OC or worse yet his boss being able to change these things.
I think fans just want durability and sure-handed runningbacks. We see how it holds the Rams back. Maybe McVays requirements from a RB is basically a unicorn outside round 1.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think fans just want durability and sure-handed runningbacks. We see how it holds the Rams back. Maybe McVays requirements from a RB is basically a unicorn outside round 1.
"You BASTID!" ~ Wendell Tyler

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
blue font, bruh? My gut still clenches at the thought Wendall swinging that arm out with the ball, running in traffic...:mad:

Only a true long time LOYAL Ram fan would know that I was being sarcastic.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
First that's fine to want that's what this board is for to discuss our wants and thoughts. Secondly hold us back from what? Winning a Super Bowl?

Lastly the last few SB winning RB's were:
Pacheco a 7th round pick that nobody thought would do what he did except apparently Andy Reid. With 76 yards rushing
Akers who this board largely can't stand for various reasons with 21 yards on 13 carries
Damien Williams now we get finally to a game with a good RB performance 17 carries for 104 oh from an UDFA who nobody knew was going to run like he did. He was an UDFA that I think 2 years later is out of the league.
You have to go back to us losing to the Pats to find a 1st round Back and highly touted draft pick that actually won the game at RB.

So I can't help but wonder who's right and who's wrong with us and McVay. He's winning SB's. The guy widely considered the best offensive coach if not the best coach right now Andy Reid seems to have a similar philosophy if not an even more extreme version of McVay's since he seems to change his main RB every year on day 3 of the draft. Again we all want a steady leading back to ease our fears. But if you honestly thought McVay needed or wanted the kind of running back fans wanted he wouldn't go out and get it? All I'm saying is give the kid a break he didn't ask for fans to dislike McVay's type of RB's or the way McSnead uses the draft.

And maybe we all should come around to his way of thinking because I don't see a future without him coaching and very rarely does a coach completely overhaul his offense without taking a break from coaching so we might want to get used to the Akers, Henderson and Evans type of backs being on this team.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The few times I saw Evans running the ball, he looked confident and ready to hit and get hit. His vision could be better, but then my sample size isn't large enough to be sure. Just hold on to the damn ball, Zachary!

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Seems like some posters think finding good running backs is kind of easy because every year there are some really good ones drafted in the mid/late rounds. Isaiah Pacheco has been mentioned as a recent example.

Pacheco was a great pick late in Round 7 last year. However, what about the RBs drafted before Pacheco?

Here is a list of all the RBs drafted, starting with Round 3, up until Pacheco in Round 7.
Rachaad White
Tyrion Davis-Price
Brian Robinson
Dameon Pierce
Zamir White
Isaiah Spiller
Pierre Strong
Hassan Haskins
Tyler Allgeier
Connor Heyward
Zander Horvath
Snoop Conner
Jerome Ford
Kyren Williams
Ty Chandler
Kevin Harris
Tyler Badie
Keontay Ingram
Trestan Ebner
Brittain Brown

Some decent RBs, and its still very early but don't you think (running styles and offensive systems aside) almost all the teams that drafted a RB above might wish they had taken Pacheco instead?

How about the Raiders? They took Brittain Brown with the 29th pick in Round Seven ... one spot before their rivals, the Chiefs, took Isaiah Pacheco.

Just saying that while 2 or 3 really good running backs can be found with mid and late round picks, those good ones are 2 or 3 out of 20-25 RBs taken in those rounds. Identifying the right 2 or 3 ain't easy.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
First that's fine to want that's what this board is for to discuss our wants and thoughts. Secondly hold us back from what? Winning a Super Bowl?

Lastly the last few SB winning RB's were:
Pacheco a 7th round pick that nobody thought would do what he did except apparently Andy Reid. With 76 yards rushing
Akers who this board largely can't stand for various reasons with 21 yards on 13 carries
Damien Williams now we get finally to a game with a good RB performance 17 carries for 104 oh from an UDFA who nobody knew was going to run like he did. He was an UDFA that I think 2 years later is out of the league.
You have to go back to us losing to the Pats to find a 1st round Back and highly touted draft pick that actually won the game at RB.

So I can't help but wonder who's right and who's wrong with us and McVay. He's winning SB's. The guy widely considered the best offensive coach if not the best coach right now Andy Reid seems to have a similar philosophy if not an even more extreme version of McVay's since he seems to change his main RB every year on day 3 of the draft. Again we all want a steady leading back to ease our fears. But if you honestly thought McVay needed or wanted the kind of running back fans wanted he wouldn't go out and get it? All I'm saying is give the kid a break he didn't ask for fans to dislike McVay's type of RB's or the way McSnead uses the draft.

And maybe we all should come around to his way of thinking because I don't see a future without him coaching and very rarely does a coach completely overhaul his offense without taking a break from coaching so we might want to get used to the Akers, Henderson and Evans type of backs being on this team.
I just answered your question. I didn’t criticize Evans. I hope he works out. I don’t like drafting oft injured players in general though. It hasn’t really worked in the Rams favor.

The ‘holding back’ comment wasn’t referring to winning the Super Bowl. It was referring to gaining the tough yards in some games. We saw what Sony was able to do. We also saw the affects of having an injury prone RB and one that fumbled three times in a playoff game.

Nobody is trying to change McVay’s mind. But people are entitled to their opinion and I think are justified if they get frustrated. It’s just venting. No admonishments are required.

btw: Unless you can see into the future, McVay has won one Super Bowl so far.

Tano

Legend
Seems like some posters think finding good running backs is kind of easy because every year there are some really good ones drafted in the mid/late rounds. Isaiah Pacheco has been mentioned as a recent example.

Pacheco was a great pick late in Round 7 last year. However, what about the RBs drafted before Pacheco?

Here is a list of all the RBs drafted, starting with Round 3, up until Pacheco in Round 7.
Rachaad White
Tyrion Davis-Price
Brian Robinson
Dameon Pierce
Zamir White
Isaiah Spiller
Pierre Strong
Hassan Haskins
Tyler Allgeier
Connor Heyward
Zander Horvath
Snoop Conner
Jerome Ford
Kyren Williams
Ty Chandler
Kevin Harris
Tyler Badie
Keontay Ingram
Trestan Ebner
Brittain Brown

Some decent RBs, and its still very early but don't you think (running styles and offensive systems aside) almost all the teams that drafted a RB above might wish they had taken Pacheco instead?

How about the Raiders? They took Brittain Brown with the 29th pick in Round Seven ... one spot before their rivals, the Chiefs, took Isaiah Pacheco.

Just saying that while 2 or 3 really good running backs can be found with mid and late round picks, those good ones are 2 or 3 out of 20-25 RBs taken in those rounds. Identifying the right 2 or 3 ain't easy.
Honest question - how many of the above running backs were drafted before the 4th round or even 5th round

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Honest question - how many of the above running backs were drafted before the 4th round or even 5th round
IMO, you need to put a timeline on that question, are we communicating in the last decade? Because my answer to your question is look at the hall of fame running back list.