Rams select Zach Evans (RB) with the 215th pick.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Honest question - how many of the above running backs were drafted before the 4th round or even 5th round
Well, you could have just quickly looked it up.

It's about evenly distributed ... three in the 3rd ... five in the 4th ... five in the 5th ... four in the 6th.

But, also an Honest Question, what's your point?

My point was that some posters point to a couple of Running Backs who are mid-to-late round picks each year that turn-out to be really good; and suggest it's easy to find good RBs late in the draft. Isaiah Pacheco and Tony Pollard would be recent examples.

I was pointing-out that for every Pacheco taken in the mid-to-late rounds, there are a dozen RBs that do not turn-out to be any good. Therefore ... it's NOT easy to find a good RB late in the draft.

Tano

Legend

It's about evenly distributed ... three in the 3rd ... five in the 4th ... five in the 5th ... four in the 6th.

My point was that some posters point to a couple of Running Backs who are mid-to-late round picks each year that turn-out to be really good; and suggest it's easy to find good RBs late in the draft. Isaiah Pacheco and Tony Pollard would be recent examples.

I was pointing-out that for every Pacheco taken in the mid-to-late rounds, there are a dozen RBs that do not turn-out to be any good. Therefore ... it's NOT easy to find a good RB late in the draft.
My point is that I could see picking up a good RB by the 3rd round

After that - it's a crap shoot

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I haven’t really studied Pacheco’s game, but I’d believe that the Chiefs Oline had a lot to do with his success. Shanahan’s line and run game design makes late round and UDFA runningbacks look good every year. I’d wager that the same backs would not look as good on many other teams.

Reid has always been very good with the run game and prioritizes the offensive line. The team makeup, coach and style have to factor in.

I do love how hard Pacheco runs and he sees and hits the holes very quickly. Sideways runners, and shifty guys can succeed too but right now that hard hitting type of back seems to be successful. I’m guessing it’s due to so many teams devaluing linebackers and playing more nickel and dime coverage.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I haven’t really studied Pacheco’s game, but I’d believe that the Chiefs Oline had a lot to do with his success. Shanahan’s line and run game design makes late round and UDFA runningbacks look good every year. I’d wager that the same backs would not look as good on many other teams.

Reid has always been very good with the run game and prioritizes the offensive line. The team makeup, coach and style have to factor in.

I do love how hard Pacheco runs and he sees and hits the holes very quickly. Sideways runners, and shifty guys can succeed too but right now that hard hitting type of back seems to be successful. I’m guessing it’s due to so many teams devaluing linebackers and playing more nickel and dime coverage.
Yeah it's the priority on the run game I think as set by the guy calling the shots, having a line that can execute the run game, and the backs matter too, they have to fit what you want to do.

First two things are strongly interrelated. Teams that prioritize the run will practice it more and cuts will be made around that element, so one tends to follow the other. McVay simply doesn't prioritize the run the way some other coaches like say Shanny does, though we don't know that for sure for the record without comparing camp snaps and all that kind of craziness, so it's just an opinion I have on it. Re: McVay's disciples the best of them in the run game has been LaFleur in Green Bay but even he hasn't been a routine showing high on the RB production stats, been more hit and miss. So philosophically they seem to follow his lead which is not a surprise, since both he and they have been successful prioritizing the pass.

Re: the late round picks what is going to be interesting is you have some excellent backs taken this year. Vaughn went before the Evans pick, to Dallas, and isn't a bellcow type but he would have been a really nice fit I think for McVay's offense. And then McBride, who was flat-out one of the best backs in the country, went to the Vikes some picks after Evans. Tucker will probably be a really nice pickup for the Bucs as a UDFA.

In the end though the problem the Rams have had for years now is poor evaluation of the RB position. It goes back to the beginning with McVay's regime. He maximized Gurley who was a back of great rarity. But finding consistency in a guy who can be counted on has been an adventure for him. Strangely enough though he won a Super Bowl and damn near won another one. But I think in spite of all that he probably has two Super Bowl wins if he had simply prioritized CJ in carries in the Super Bowl instead of Gurley, who was at that point simply not the same guy. That loss I think pivoted on two key things, those being the loss of Kupp to injury as well as CJ falling out somehow with the Rams staff and/or not being utilized the way he should have been.

So for me like I've been saying for years now they need to reevaluate how they choose their RBs. There is certainly room for vindication if they hit big on Evans, but even if they do hit on him how long will that be true. Point is I think they need to find their way in the identification of "their" back by tweaking that model a bit so they can do like Shanahan and find these guys cheaply every couple drafts as needed. That should be a goal for them. Not the biggest goal, since running the ball is not their priority, but one of those goals they're working on improving through.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

DUDE your point doesn’t tread water. ITS CHIT PURE CHIT if you haven’t studied Pacheco & KC’S running back.I’d say I’m always for taking a quality RB Zach Charbonnet will be my test in coming seasons.Johnathan Taylor was a value pick IMO.

Would have moved up in the 2020 draft to take Johnathan Taylor at 41. Would the Terrel Lewis 3rd rd pick(81) Terrell Burgees(104) been enough?

Cam Akers was drafted 52(k.Hurt 53). The point being is if your TALKING KC? CLYDE EDWARDS-Helaire was last pick of 1st. Rd KANSAS CITY first RB of 2020 draft.

TALKING about Andy Reid & RB’s vs. other RB’s is CHIT because he draft The NUMBER 1 RB in 2020 & their Offensive Line is what it is.
-Creed Humpries should have been a RAM. Now The Rams have to pass on Zach Charbonnet to draft Steve Averil??? Would have traded up for L. Dickerson.Same type of Big Center/Guard.

The Rams traded up for Darly Henderson like The Rams did for Zach Evens.Bug difference though,because of the COST!! Add Les Snead(Mcvay) screwed up on that one. Tony Pollard was from MTS as was D.Henderson.They traded up for the least of the 2 RB’s from the same school.Trading up was what made me upset.Trying to figure out who the better RB was is another thing.Maybe wait for DUMB LUCK.

Just saying is all -but had to blow your play house down.The Rams have had chances to be BETTER!!! My track record is just that as a Rams Draftnik.

—I wouldn’t question what The Rams did in 2023.Can’t ask for anymore than what they got.You can.but missing on Zach Charbonnet could hurt,especially because he is a SEAHAGs.That is only because of the past drafts as well.Doesn’t change the passing of him. Zach Evans could also be a solid NFL RB.The value is there.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yeah it's the priority on the run game I think as set by the guy calling the shots, having a line that can execute the run game, and the backs matter too, they have to fit what you want to do.

First two things are strongly interrelated. Teams that prioritize the run will practice it more and cuts will be made around that element, so one tends to follow the other. McVay simply doesn't prioritize the run the way some other coaches like say Shanny does, though we don't know that for sure for the record without comparing camp snaps and all that kind of craziness, so it's just an opinion I have on it. Re: McVay's disciples the best of them in the run game has been LaFleur in Green Bay but even he hasn't been a routine showing high on the RB production stats, been more hit and miss. So philosophically they seem to follow his lead which is not a surprise, since both he and they have been successful prioritizing the pass.

Re: the late round picks what is going to be interesting is you have some excellent backs taken this year. Vaughn went before the Evans pick, to Dallas, and isn't a bellcow type but he would have been a really nice fit I think for McVay's offense. And then McBride, who was flat-out one of the best backs in the country, went to the Vikes some picks after Evans. Tucker will probably be a really nice pickup for the Bucs as a UDFA.

In the end though the problem the Rams have had for years now is poor evaluation of the RB position. It goes back to the beginning with McVay's regime. He maximized Gurley who was a back of great rarity. But finding consistency in a guy who can be counted on has been an adventure for him. Strangely enough though he won a Super Bowl and damn near won another one. But I think in spite of all that he probably has two Super Bowl wins if he had simply prioritized CJ in carries in the Super Bowl instead of Gurley, who was at that point simply not the same guy. That loss I think pivoted on two key things, those being the loss of Kupp to injury as well as CJ falling out somehow with the Rams staff and/or not being utilized the way he should have been.

So for me like I've been saying for years now they need to reevaluate how they choose their RBs. There is certainly room for vindication if they hit big on Evans, but even if they do hit on him how long will that be true. Point is I think they need to find their way in the identification of "their" back by tweaking that model a bit so they can do like Shanahan and find these guys cheaply every couple drafts as needed. That should be a goal for them. Not the biggest goal, since running the ball is not their priority, but one of those goals they're working on improving through.
I find it peculiar that the run game has not been a priority, because we constantly hear how McVays offense works off the run. Ideally, even just the threat of a good run game really completes the offense and opens up the passing game.

Another point is that Jourdan reported that last off-season (2022) fixing the run game was McVays number one focus.

I think the culprit is not just the selection of RBs but also fielding a line that was more a pass protection style than run game dominant. Plus they tried to do it with some oft injured talent and a few subpar pieces.

Back to the selection of Evans. He could be a homerun pick. However, it would have been a bit more comforting for them to choose a guy without fumbling or injury concerns. That is one of Snead’s draft trend that I have come to despise.

nighttrain

Legend
I find it peculiar that the run game has not been a priority, because we constantly hear how McVays offense works off the run. Ideally, even just the threat of a good run game really completes the offense and opens up the passing game.

Another point is that Jourdan reported that last off-season (2022) fixing the run game was McVays number one focus.

I think the culprit is not just the selection of RBs but also fielding a line that was more a pass protection style than run game dominant. Plus they tried to do it with some oft injured talent and a few subpar pieces.

Back to the selection of Evans. He could be a homerun pick. However, it would have been a bit more comforting for them to choose a guy without fumbling or injury concerns. That is one of Snead’s draft trend that I have come to despise.
we excelled with Corbett, Whitworth, and Hav, all tough guys.
train

WestCoastRam

Legend

Think McVay and Stafford deserve some criticism together. McVay has been slow to evolve his run game to do other things besides outside zone (he does some for sure, but not a ton) and Stafford prefers shotgun passing and not turning his back to the D. Stafford is a bit of a round peg in a square hole there as McVay's bread and butter is drop back play-action off outside zone running.

So do you do more running from shotgun? Sure but it's not as easy to run outside zone from it not does play-action quite look like it does from a drop back or do you tell Stafford he needs to become more comfortable running the dropback game where everything looks like outside zone whether running or PA?

Trying to mash the two up has been an issue. Not the greatest issue this offense has had to deal with but a significant one.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
we excelled with Corbett, Whitworth, and Hav, all tough guys.
train
Yes and no. Whit and Havenstein were separated by three linemen. At times Corbett looked very good and at other times he didn’t. I never felt he looked particularly powerful.

Edwards was similar. He had one very good year. But he still looked more like an OT than a guard.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Think McVay and Stafford deserve some criticism together. McVay has been slow to evolve his run game to do other things besides outside zone (he does some for sure, but not a ton) and Stafford prefers shotgun passing and not turning his back to the D. Stafford is a bit of a round peg in a square hole there as McVay's bread and butter is drop back play-action off outside zone running.

So do you do more running from shotgun? Sure but it's not as easy to run outside zone from it not does play-action quite look like it does from a drop back or do you tell Stafford he needs to become more comfortable running the dropback game where everything looks like outside zone whether running or PA?

Trying to mash the two up has been an issue. Not the greatest issue this offense has had to deal with but a significant one.
All good points.