Rams select Stetson Bennett (QB) with the 128th pick.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
As I listened to the 11 podcast today and thought about the Rams situation, overall…. I decided that the Rams are being very clear about their plans.
Bennett was drafted to be a backup .. rookie deal is four years.
Rams used highest pick on an Olineman.. kept Noteboom and added an experienced guard in preseason.
They’re rolling with Stafford the next few years.
Makes @Merlin right, most likely, about drafting a tackle in the first.

WestCoastRam

Legend
As I listened to the 11 podcast today and thought about the Rams situation, overall…. I decided that the Rams are being very clear about their plans.
Rams used highest pick on an Olineman.. kept Noteboom and added an experienced guard in preseason.

Sure sounds like Stafford is in their plans for 24 and 25 keeps getting named these days so I'm starting to assume they think he'll be around for that.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well I will clarify that of course what the Rams do will come down to the board, other teams, etc. But yes philosophically I think the most efficient approach is prioritizing the line starting with LT.

As things pertain to QB, however, I would think we draft one. Either up top, or by midrounds, and whichever way they go the backup job likely goes to that pick.

Again and for the record I think he can do the backup job. But timing matters too and the inevitable investment next year suggests Bennett ends up elsewhere.

Nothing against him. I like his style, I prefer cocky QBs and think he has enough but the Rams will likely take a shot on a QB who might be able to start in a year or so. And that is probably not Bennett.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Stafford is definitely the plan for 24/25 because of his contract.
Which is why drafting a QB in 24 makes so much sense. Let him ride the pine for a season and possibly take over the next

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Which is why drafting a QB in 24 makes so much sense. Let him ride the pine for a season and possibly take over the next
I agree.
Let’s not wait until we are in desperate need of a QB to grab one.

It’s a fair assumption, that Stafford is on his last contract.
We need to take advantage of what he has left and start grooming the next QB.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
This was a complete failure to vet the kid before drafting him. He's a bust before he ever played a game. Here would have been his golden opportunity to show he belongs in the NFL. Critical break downs of his preseason were generally negative. He needed this opportunity. If he never puts on a Rams uniform again it's fine with me. Just a completely wasted pick.

Why the Rams didn't take someone like Tanner McKee is a mystry to me. He played better in preseason than Bennett and offers upsides as a future starter that they don't have in Bennett. He's got better length, better arm talent with good deep accuracy. They wouldn't be shopping for castoffs. They could have simply shut Stafford down to let him heal completely, perhaps at most keep him available for backup duty. They could have used the rest of this season to develop McKee who is a very good fit for McVay's offense whereas Bennett was never going to be anything but a backup here.

McVay got complacent about his backup QB and the Rams are paying for it. I love McVay but I'm not blind to his faults and he has several.
How many QBs in the last draft won 2 National titles? Bennett may have still been on the board a round or 2 later, but he obviously had something no QB in the draft had. 2 titles and going from walk on to National Champion isn't just a fluke. It sucks he isn't available right now, but if it's because he is getting help that he needs he will be better from it in the end.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I encourage everyone to listen to the latest 11 Personnel podcast for information on Stetson. She's vague enough that I don't think it's worth trying to report what she says word for word as people will just run in whatever direction they want... BUT it's made me slightly re-examine my priors here (I suspect the focus is more on mental health vs alcohol - though the two are inextricably linked) and I wouldn't hold my breath he's back with Rams going forward though people who she talks to says there's hope.
I listened to her segment on Stetson and came away feeling like I had no idea what was going on with him. A couple times she repeated that there was "nothing sinister" going on with him, but I have no idea what the fuck that's supposed to mean. (I was not concerned that he was part of a ritualistic cult that performed blood sacrifices... right, nothing "sinister").

there's nothing "sinister" about rehab or counseling. So really, I have no idea what Stetson's dealing with.

Jourdan says that McVay has shown genuine empathy and human concern for Stetson, so that's good to hear. But she seemed to offer no clues as to what the underlying issue is. Which is fine, I guess we'll all find out if and when Stetson decides to reveal whatever he's dealing with.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How many QBs in the last draft won 2 National titles?
Not to re-hash an old argument, but being the QB of a National Champ team (2x even worse) has no correlation to success in the NFL. In fact, many of the QB's who won amount to nothing or even less. Hurts, Lawrence and Burrow seem to be bucking the trend, but they have prototypical measurables. Alas.... Hope the kid gets the help he needs and I remain disappointed in so many who have cast such aspersions on the kid without even knowing what happened.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It is hard to believe this is still a secret in this day and age. You would think he would have popped up on someone's phone, or a friend or family member would have talked, or something. No reason to be ashamed of anything.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It is hard to believe this is still a secret in this day and age. You would think he would have popped up on someone's phone, or a friend or family member would have talked, or something. No reason to be ashamed of anything.
Hipaa laws protect us all, even if media caught wind they wouldnt dare post anything that could violate the law. He's entitled to his privacy.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Very bad pick then; even worse now. Tbd for future (but outlook is not encouraging)

WestCoastRam

Legend
Hipaa laws protect us all, even if media caught wind they wouldnt dare post anything that could violate the law. He's entitled to his privacy.
Oh man, this is a common misconception. HIPAA is mostly (but not fully) about health entities not sharing medical data that's electronically transmitted (though some that's not). If you're not a health provider, doesn't matter and even if you are, in some small cases it may not matter. Oh, and then there's the exemptions to the law which there are a few wide ranging and important ones.

People throw around HIPAA all the time but it's actually a somewhat narrow law. And if you're not the health entity, it's immaterial.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I listened to her segment on Stetson and came away feeling like I had no idea what was going on with him. A couple times she repeated that there was "nothing sinister" going on with him, but I have no idea what the fuck that's supposed to mean. (I was not concerned that he was part of a ritualistic cult that performed blood sacrifices... right, nothing "sinister").

there's nothing "sinister" about rehab or counseling. So really, I have no idea what Stetson's dealing with.

Jourdan says that McVay has shown genuine empathy and human concern for Stetson, so that's good to hear. But she seemed to offer no clues as to what the underlying issue is. Which is fine, I guess we'll all find out if and when Stetson decides to reveal whatever he's dealing with.
Her wording there threw me a little as well.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think half of the Rams' desire to keep quiet on all this is due to them knowing they missed whatever it was in their draft evaluations. It is convenient for them that his rights to privacy jives with all that.

I mean they could easily say he is in rehab and leave it at that. Or that he's in counseling for mental illness. Or whatever it is, but then the questions would inevitably turn to "why and how" they missed that in their evals.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think half of the Rams' desire to keep quiet on all this is due to them knowing they missed whatever it was in their draft evaluations. It is convenient for them that his rights to privacy jives with all that.

I mean they could easily say he is in rehab and leave it at that. Or that he's in counseling for mental illness. Or whatever it is, but then the questions would inevitably turn to "why and how" they missed that in their evals.

When have The Rams done that ?

I just wonder what part Matthew Stafford played in it? Like was that part of Kelly say he doesn’t get young players anymore?

Just wondering if you don’t think The Rams don’t believe in Stensejn ?

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If we draft high enough this year, we should get the QB. We might not have this good a chance in the future.

TXRams86

The Infamous
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if this guy never makes it back to the Rams facility.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I suppose there's an alternate universe in which Bennett panned out as the team hoped and helped the Rams get a big win today in Stafford's absence.

In this universe, sadly, he's probably going to go down as a wasted pick.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

I think their possible embarrassment has nothing to do with not saying anything.

It’s none of our business, quite frankly.