Rams select Stetson Bennett (QB) with the 128th pick.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tano

Legend
McVay is a smart guy, I think we all agree, so why would he draft a backup QB in the 4th round? Teams that have a legit QB, usually get their back ups in 6th or 7th, even undrafted. Or why not keep Wolford for another season, if its all about a high draft choice next draft?

Teams that draft well, or are plain lucky can get potential starters in the forth round, so why would McVay waste a pick?

train
I wouldn't say wasted even if he was just a back-up.

A good back-up is hard to find at a cheap price.

And a fourth round back-up QB is a cheap price for the Rams to pay.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
With what money?

He doesn't have the football scholarship money anymore

This goes for all college football players not just Stetson

Or if they leave after 3 years, they better have a back-up plan if they get hurt or not drafted
You're making too much of this. How did he have the money to be at Georgia in the first place as a walk-on.

The dude is gonna be making somewhere over $3M in his four years as a draft pick. He'll either save a bit to finish up just in case, or maybe his parents have him covered. Who knows.

WestCoastRam

Legend
McVay is a smart guy, I think we all agree, so why would he draft a backup QB in the 4th round? Teams that have a legit QB, usually get their back ups in 6th or 7th, even undrafted. Or why not keep Wolford for another season, if its all about a high draft choice next draft?

Teams that draft well, or are plain lucky can get potential starters in the forth round, so why would McVay waste a pick?

train

Cause we own a cheap contract now and have a guy who we feel can win a game or two in replacement in this league.

But trust me, no one will ever confuse Bennett for a starter.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Cause we own a cheap contract now and have a guy who we feel can win a game or two in replacement in this league.

But trust me, no one will ever confuse Bennett for a starter.

-train is on the right track,but not sure where he’s going?

Your point is very valid & I trust you & The Rams that Stenson is not The QB of The Future.Then again he will be on the roster with as much chance as say Wolford who started a Playoff game? There is always that.
Perkins or Wolford never had good arms. Perkins has that thing that New NFL QB’s have more now a days. Electric running ability.

Bennett is who we think he is. A winner who will do well running the practice squad(2nd unit) for game prep. He has upside & his window is just being framed. He is cheaper than the other 2 QB’s would have been ?

Oldbutnotdead imo understates the plan. Les Snead & Sean Mcvay identified him when they made the trade back.He from what they said was ALWAYS going to be that pick in the 4th if he was still there.

Les Snead is GREAT at slotting players & value.He has made so many trade backs & still drafted the player The Rams wanted.

Havienstien
Everett Are the bigger names that Les Snead moved back for.An excellent concept.

Ogletree was one of the first we’re he did that with as well.

The trading up has been a disaster? IMO- then again we’ll never know. HATE - the small guys,but Tutu Atwell is primed & ready. Even though The Rams didn’t move up for him was a reach. That said it takes time for players to develop.
—Prediction that Bennett will have better preseason numbers than John Wolford ever did.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Except he didn't go to college to get a degree. He went to play football and get drafted into the NFL. And he did.

If that's considered being an idiot then wth are we, talking about him as a fan on an online forum?

If you’re spending seven years in college - on a fully paid scholarship, no less - you should at least realize that football isn’t forever. One injury, bad play, etc. could get you out of the league, and since he didn’t graduate, that limits him.

The fact that he didn’t care enough to graduate - after seven years full of classes - makes him an idiot. He had a full free ride for seven years. That’s plenty of time to graduate at some class, some major.

oldnotdead

Legend
There now Snead has finally put the issue to bed. Bennett is what at least some of us thought he was to be. Their backup for the next 4 years. He's not a scheme fit for the position of a franchise QB1 in this offense. But as a backup, he doesn't have to be. He's a scheme fit for probably 75% - 80% of the offense which is enough for a backup. That's the part that gives them a move the chains type of offense.

It also confirms what I've heard that they have a targeted QB1 in next year's draft to groom behind Stafford for a year and expect to have to trade up to get him. That accounts for their saving their draft capital. The Rams fully expect to be a playoff team this year and next. Their SB runs start now. They have their foundational talent on the roster. If they make the playoffs and at least get to the divisional round I think AD will stay to play in 2024. That $34M will be hard to walk away from.

I honestly believe their plan would be to draft their QB1 follow-on rookie next year. That would give them a year to groom him into the position to start in 2025. The idea is to become a sustainable Super Bowl Contender for the long haul. If you are only drafting for 1-3 starters each year it's a lot easier to sustain that roster. That is what all the biting the bullet this year is about. Snead will be more selective in how he uses that "Fuck them picks" attitude. I think they feel that with 2 firsts and a third they can move up high enough in the first round to get their targeted player. With Stafford and AD's career on the line they won't tank besides it's not in McVay's DNA.

Tano

Legend
You're making too much of this. How did he have the money to be at Georgia in the first place as a walk-on.

The dude is gonna be making somewhere over $3M in his four years as a draft pick. He'll either save a bit to finish up just in case, or maybe his parents have him covered. Who knows.
You're talking about one player.

I am putting Stetson in a group of all college football players who didn't graduate.

Yeah sure Stetson might have money to go back but I still think it is stupid to not graduate when you had 7 years in college banking on making the NFL. One bad injury in college and bam - there goes his NFL career.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

I am putting Stetson in a group of all college football players who didn't graduate.

Yeah sure Stetson might have money to go back but I still think it is stupid to not graduate when you had 7 years in college banking on making the NFL. One bad injury in college and bam - there goes his NFL career.
Finishing college is of course ideal. But too much is still being made of that I think. If he partied and slayed fine ass alone that's 7 years well spent I think. Because he'll be able to go back and finish. Players do that frequently.

The key for any player I think is being good enough to stick on rosters for two or three years. If they can do that, which includes special teams type roles, they make enough to go back to college as long as they're not being stupid with their spending.

Not knocking your take or anything here either. But we all have our priorities. If you don't get your degree even in 4 years and don't make that cut for an NFL roster you fall into that realm of being an idiot for fucking yourself. But even then I am sure the college will happily extend them the necessary credit to finish up their degree. So not ideal but live and learn.

Tano

Legend
Finishing college is of course ideal. But too much is still being made of that I think. If he partied and slayed fine ass alone that's 7 years well spent I think. Because he'll be able to go back and finish. Players do that frequently.

The key for any player I think is being good enough to stick on rosters for two or three years. If they can do that, which includes special teams type roles, they make enough to go back to college as long as they're not being stupid with their spending.

Not knocking your take or anything here either. But we all have our priorities. If you don't get your degree even in 4 years and don't make that cut for an NFL roster you fall into that realm of being an idiot for fucking yourself. But even then I am sure the college will happily extend them the necessary credit to finish up their degree. So not ideal but live and learn.
This - unfortunately I hear waaaaaayyyyyy too many stories of football players spending all their money and then not having a college degree to help them out and they end up being shit out of luck.

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor

My nephew signed a minor league contract with the Brewers. Part of the deal was a $40,000 dollar escrow account to be used to finish his senior year at Cal. I’m sure others in the professional sports industry have similar deals.

nighttrain

Legend
I should also add that a lot of college football players are idiots due to not completing their degree

I hear stories all the time of college players not having a degree and never making the NFL and having nothing to fall back on.
They do make great truck drivers
train

Tano

Legend
They do make great truck drivers
train
Yeah they can talk about their college football days and how they scored 4 TDs in a game in high school
Happy Season 2 GIF by Sony Pictures Television

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

That's the point, he doesnt belong in a group with other players who are in school for 4-5 years. He's been a college student for 7 years.
7!!!!
Kids graduate from Law school after 7 years and he doesnt have a diploma?
Its an embarrassment, and Georgia should be ashamed of itself.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
The hate this dude gets is excellent. Everyone's doubted him his whole life and all he's done is win Back to Back Natty Titles. Keep the hate going, and maybe he'll win us back to back Super Bowls!

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
The hate this dude gets is excellent. Everyone's doubted him his whole life and all he's done is win Back to Back Natty Titles. Keep the hate going, and maybe he'll win us back to back Super Bowls!
Agreed. Also, I thought one of RODs rules is that we aren't supposed to insult members of the Rams organization? Tisk tisk!!! Shame on you meanies.