Rams select Davis Allen (TE) with the 175th pick.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
That TE coach might be a good addition. We've already seen Hopkins flash (reportedly) in camp. Higs has looked great too.

TexasRam

Legend
Doing a good job catching the rock and fighting with contact for sure. Not exactly ready to crown his ass.

Still looks too stiff to me.

Hopkins is much more athletic and the one I would put my money on. He might oust Higbee this year if Higbee does his yearly injury thing.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Still looks too stiff to me.

Hopkins is much more athletic and the one I would put my money on. He might oust Higbee this year if Higbee does his yearly injury thing.
I thought he looked the part. But, he always looked gassed or something was off with his body language, to me anyway.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He might oust Higbee this year if Higbee does his yearly injury thing.
Higbee has missed only 4 regular season games due to injury in his entire 7 year career
I'm pretty enthused about what Allen has shown because we've needed a solid TE #2, and heir apparent for a while. But let's be real about Higs, he has his flaws no doubt, but availability aint one of them

TexasRam

Legend
Higbee has missed only 4 regular season games due to injury in his entire 7 year career
I'm pretty enthused about what Allen has shown because we've needed a solid TE #2, and heir apparent for a while. But let's be real about Higs, he has his flaws no doubt, but availability aint one of them
He plays a lot of games beat up and then becomes a liability in the run and pass game.

I realize he gets on the field but due to the way Mcvay uses him on those inline blocks his position is critical and the play breaks down if he isn’t 100 percent, which is quite a lot.

The point is he needs his Gerald Everett to spell him and keep him fresh. I can see Hopkins getting a bigger share of playtime this year and eventually taking over.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Indeed! 8 catches on 8 targets in one of his first practices? Yikes! This kid could have a very high ceiling. I know he's a bit slow but what a game. And Stafford will only accelerate his progress. I can't wait to see what Mcvay draws up for him in the next pre-season game.

I agree! And I don't care if You're a little slower if you make the catches, and some plays.

We've had athletes at TE that didn't pan out.

Tano

Legend
I agree! And I don't care if You're a little slower if you make the catches, and some plays.

We've had athletes at TE that didn't pan out.
You don't have to be fast to play TE imho

Just be able to find the holes in the secondary to get those critical first downs and be the block and go TE near the end zone

If he can block well - we have a keeper

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I thought he looked the part. But, he always looked gassed or something was off with his body language, to me anyway.

I noticed that too. He hasn’t been playing much in camp so I’m thinking he still isn’t in football shape. That’s an easy fix.

The effort is there and so are the hands. The first catch was his “calling card” per his scouting report. The second catch was equally impressive. He reached for a “down and away” throw that is a tough catch for anybody and hauled it in. He catches with his hands.

I liked the pick because I liked the highlight reel compared to his scouting report, and that’s the guy I saw on Saturday night.
Great start.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good to see my guy do well in first action. Still always room to improve but this was a good step.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He plays a lot of games beat up and then becomes a liability in the run and pass game.

I realize he gets on the field but due to the way Mcvay uses him on those inline blocks his position is critical and the play breaks down if he isn’t 100 percent, which is quite a lot.

The point is he needs his Gerald Everett to spell him and keep him fresh. I can see Hopkins getting a bigger share of playtime this year and eventually taking over.
Higbee has been over extended, no doubt because like I said they've desperately needed a TE2 for years. Higbee is a solid blocker but for a team that wants to run the ball, they ought to have an inline TE, which they've havent had.
Hopkins is a bust, I'd be shocked if he makes the final 53

Tano

Legend
It's not the availability - he plays thru his injuries

It's his trying to play thru these injuries that gets me sometime

Sometimes he looks like he is at 50% health in the games

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's not the availability - he plays thru his injuries

It's his trying to play thru these injuries that gets me sometime

Sometimes he looks like he is at 50% health in the games
Playing thru injuries is part of the NFL, fact is he does play thru them. Dude's a warrior and plays hurt, that's a bad thing? The bad thing is that they haven't had a viable alternative or supplement to him.

Tano

Legend
Playing thru injuries is part of the NFL, fact is he does play thru them. Dude's a warrior and plays hurt, that's a bad thing? The bad thing is that they haven't had a viable alternative or supplement to him.
Oh I don't have a problem with him trying to play thru his injuries.

I have a problem that we have never had a back-up since Everett who could go in and do a decent job when he was hurt

And he would have these injuries frequently thru his career.

And I bet McVay would have loved to play someone else when he was injured and showing 50%

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh I don't have a problem with him trying to play thru his injuries.

I have a problem that we have never had a back-up since Everett who could go in and do a decent job when he was hurt

And he would have these injuries frequently thru his career.

And I bet McVay would have loved to play someone else when he was injured and showing 50%
What's worse is that Everett wasnt a back up, they ran 2 TE sets with Higbee, Everett and/or Mundt. Since both those guys left Higbee taking high 80% of snaps

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Yeah Higs is just a second tier TE. We've been waiting for him to take that next step and live up to his talent (which is very high) and in his favor his hands have improved a ton over the years but he looks right now like he is who he is. Which is a valuable player, kind of guy you need on a roster to win but he's not an impact type or big play threat.

I wonder what his reps will be asking for with his next contract. Probably comes down to whether he can make a move this season and show a bit more. Which I'd be fine with tbh even if it means he plays himself off the team.

Re: Hopkins I am hopeful this is the year for him. But I'm gonna have to see it show up on the actual field.

Tano

Legend
What's worse is that Everett wasnt a back up, they ran 2 TE sets with Higbee, Everett and/or Mundt. Since both those guys left Higbee taking high 80% of snaps
Did they? Honest question.

I know the Rams have run primarily a 11 personnel for quite some time.

I believe they were even primarily using it the years they had Everett. But I could be wrong.

But the last couple years I know for a fact that McVay used a 11 personnel over 75% of the time with Higbee being the TE even when he was hurt. No decent back-up.

I bet if Higbee is looking like he is limited, McVay will be willing to put in Hopkins or Allen this year.

Edit - other than the 11 personnel question, I just realized we are saying the same thing just in different ways lol

Last edited:

dpjax

Starter
Camp Reporter
That TE coach might be a good addition. We've already seen Hopkins flash (reportedly) in camp. Higs has looked great too.
That’s the first thing I thought of when McVay mentioned Caley in his presser. Both Higbee and Hopkins looked great from what I saw in Irvine and now Davis Allen shows out in his first game action. Could be just a coincidence but maybe we’ve got something with this new coach.