Rams select Davis Allen (TE) with the 175th pick.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
I’d like to see Hunter Long’s scouting report, please; I’d bring it myself, but I’m on my phone, and my computer is broken.

Allen is a better prospect IMO. Long sounds more like an in-line TE than move so probably will not see the field much behind Higbee

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

oldnotdead

Legend
Both Allen and Long are role players. It will be interesting if the Rams don't trade or release Higbee this year. If Tyler is a post June one release the Rams recoup $6.7M of cap. It would explain why they considered jumping up into the first round for Kincaid in a trade at #20 with Detroit. But the cost was too high and personally, I think they made the right choice.

The Rams could go with Allen, Long, and Hopkins. But they could simply stay where they are and release Hopkins and draft a TE next year. Frankly, in light of all their other releases, $9.1M for a moderately productive TE is a lot. He's a poor blocker who even missed chip blocks. Time for an upgrade at the position and I think either one Allen or Long can fill that production. I believed the rumors they tried to trade him during the draft but had zero takers, especially for that cap number. It was the primary motivation to insist upon Long being included in the Ramsey trade. Higbee's production has been in decline for the past 3 years. His best year was 2019 under Goff and was only 734 yards and 3 TDs and it has been downhill ever since. Higbee is a fan favorite, but his cost makes no sense if they are really trimming fat.

Funny how fans discount the value of Jefferson and inflate the value of Higbee. With this large draft class the Rams will need to clear more cap. Releasing Higbee post June 1 makes a whole lot of sense. That $6.7 M is exactly what they need in terms of cap clearance to go into the season. He's gone next year regardless (this is the last year of his contract).

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
Both Allen and Long are role players. It will be interesting if the Rams don't trade or release Higbee this year. If Tyler is a post June one release the Rams recoup $6.7M of cap. It would explain why they considered jumping up into the first round for Kincaid in a trade at #20 with Detroit. But the cost was too high and personally, I think they made the right choice.

The Rams could go with Allen, Long, and Hopkins. But they could simply stay where they are and release Hopkins and draft a TE next year. Frankly, in light of all their other releases, $9.1M for a moderately productive TE is a lot. He's a poor blocker who even missed chip blocks. Time for an upgrade at the position and I think either one Allen or Long can fill that production. I believed the rumors they tried to trade him during the draft but had zero takers, especially for that cap number. It was the primary motivation to insist upon Long being included in the Ramsey trade. Higbee's production has been in decline for the past 3 years. His best year was 2019 under Goff and was only 734 yards and 3 TDs and it has been downhill ever since. Higbee is a fan favorite, but his cost makes no sense if they are really trimming fat.

Funny how fans discount the value of Jefferson and inflate the value of Higbee. With this large draft class the Rams will need to clear more cap. Releasing Higbee post June 1 makes a whole lot of sense. That $6.7 M is exactly what they need in terms of cap clearance to go into the season. He's gone next year regardless (this is the last year of his contract).
What rumour, the one you literally just started? Average? Really?

"Just the absolute consistency that guy has – he came off a tough injury late during our playoff push last year, and he was hurting to get out there with the boys and everything," right tackle Rob Havenstein said. "The amount of work that guy puts in, the amount of time he puts in to his body, the playbook, the team in general, is absolutely awesome for him. He's one of our bigger sparks on offense, he brings a lot of swag, and it's fun to see and something for the team to build off of."

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Last thing I’m going to do is under estimate or not value Van Jefferson. He could have a break out year like 2021.In 2020 though he didn’t even beat out Reynolds. Just saying.
Higbee could be one of The Best Rams TE’s ever. You need to go back to being a Charger Fan because you got spoiled over there.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Meh. Looks too slow for the NFL level and scouting report doesn't exactly say he is a great blocker.

But who knows, maybe he will be a weapon with the ability to highpoint the ball and box out the defender.

You nailed it. His first catch was exactly that. Flanked by a defender on each side, he hauled in a pass in traffic in the middle of the field. Very impressive and encouraging.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

He looked fantastic. Didn't look like he will ever drop a pass.

And he looked like he was exhausted before every snap but still managed to play at a high level, with high concentration.

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
Rams seem to have had a very solid 5th round in the last draft with all 4 players looking like they'll make contributions.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Rams seem to have had a very solid 5th round in the last draft with all 4 players looking like they'll make contributions.
Hopefully the wrote down their new criteria for evaluating talent and continue using it in the future.

Plus, instead of Snead trading for Sixth round picks he needs to request fifth round picks.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I love when Davis just ripped away from that tackler. On the other hand he seemed to have trouble attaching a helmet snap and proceeded to false start.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
whether you are excited or down on a player we must remember this is preseason football. i know in the past they have cut players that i thought they would keep and kept ones i thought were sure cuts. so i guess i'll wait till the real games start.

Tano

Legend
whether you are excited or down on a player we must remember this is preseason football. i know in the past they have cut players that i thought they would keep and kept ones i thought were sure cuts. so i guess i'll wait till the real games start.
I bet you said "Bobby Evans" every year

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Really impressive game this past week from him!

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Really impressive game this past week from him!
Indeed! 8 catches on 8 targets in one of his first practices? Yikes! This kid could have a very high ceiling. I know he's a bit slow but what a game. And Stafford will only accelerate his progress. I can't wait to see what Mcvay draws up for him in the next pre-season game.