Rams select Davis Allen (TE) with the 175th pick.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexasRam

Legend
Meh. Looks too slow for the NFL level and scouting report doesn't exactly say he is a great blocker.

But who knows, maybe he will be a weapon with the ability to highpoint the ball and box out the defender.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Meh. Looks too slow for the NFL level and scouting report doesn't exactly say he is a great blocker.

But who knows, maybe he will be a weapon with the ability to highpoint the ball and box out the defender.
He's interesting.
40 time is lame, but he's elite in the 10 yard split and decent in the 20.. and has a 38 vert at 6'6".... A good contested catch guy would be nice.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Tight ends have a role in the Rams offense and they don’t need to blow by guys to be involved. Think about the way Blanton and Hopkins were just open in our Super Bowl run. This dude can catch and win on contested balls. This could be a sneaky good pick.

His ceiling will depend on his blocking.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
There's a couple different key roles for these TEs. You have the guys who block on the end of the line, the classic TE responsibility, which they refer to as Y around the league. Not sure what the Rams call it. Then you have the F which is the dude who moves around like a special unicorn doing different shit from lining up in the slot to backfield activities. This is the guy who can be a real threat in the pass game. Skow does a bit of that for us, it's the role I am sure they wanted Harris to perform but unfortunately he has hands of stone.

Anyway the problem has been McVay doesn't want to take a wideout off the field for a 12 set due to the fact our TEs have been shitty. Basically if we had better TEs I am certain we wouldn't lead the NFL in 11 sets. I don't know that anything changes this year but we do have a new TE coach so maybe he can get a breakout year from Hopkins. He's the only one in that window, but of course for him if he doesn't break out he might find out he's really in the cut window.

Londoner

Twitchy sophomore.
There's a couple different key roles for these TEs. You have the guys who block on the end of the line, the classic TE responsibility, which they refer to as Y around the league. Not sure what the Rams call it. Then you have the F which is the dude who moves around like a special unicorn doing different shit from lining up in the slot to backfield activities. This is the guy who can be a real threat in the pass game. Skow does a bit of that for us, it's the role I am sure they wanted Harris to perform but unfortunately he has hands of stone.

Anyway the problem has been McVay doesn't want to take a wideout off the field for a 12 set due to the fact our TEs have been shitty. Basically if we had better TEs I am certain we wouldn't lead the NFL in 11 sets. I don't know that anything changes this year but we do have a new TE coach so maybe he can get a breakout year from Hopkins. He's the only one in that window, but of course for him if he doesn't break out he might find out he's really in the cut window.
For a team with such a rich and storied history, the fact that we’ve never had a truly outstanding TE is something of a mystery.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
He’s much more athletic than meets the eye and was the move TE in Clemson’s scheme. Sounds like a great fit for McVay’s offense. It would really help out our running game if we played a lot less 11 personnel. Looking at our WRs I expect that to be the case i.e. more balance between sets

“An All-ACC Academic Team selection who earned third-team All-ACC honors in 2022, Allen was consistently productive throughout his college career and his 12 career touchdown receptions are tied for second all-time among Clemson tight ends”

Interestingly Zielein scouts him as an “in-line tight end” which is a mistake! Allen plays well in space and is adept at blocking defenders from a move position. Taking this, and Hunter Long, into consideration we should be in much better shape in our TE room this year than perhaps any previous year including our SB run - provided we get more consistency than we did from Everett who never performed in the clutch

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
Here’s some more:

Despite some inconsistent quarterback play last season, Allen flourished when given the chance.

“I think he’s got his best football ahead,” Kelly said. “It was an interesting year for Clemson offensively. At the next level he’s going to have the opportunity to further show what he’s capable of doing.”

“Whether you’re passing or run-centric, Allen is a guy who can give you both,” Kelly said. “He knows how to utilize his size.”

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
This evaluation was evident at the Senior Bowl where Allen did well. He dropped to where we picked because of his 40 and because Clemson had a down year. Note: We might just have found the third best TE after the big first two

“Allen plays a versatile role for the Tigers. Clemson’s offense lines the former three-star recruit up in the slot, at H-back, in-line, and occasionally at outside wide receiver. The offense frequently sends him in motion to set up run plays as well. Allen is a very consistent skill player. He rarely drops the ball or commits penalties and operates as a security blanket for DJ Uiagalelei. Allen excels at finding openings in zone. He displays quick footwork and does a good job sinking at the top of his stem, which allows him to run crisp routes. The Georgia native’s basketball background translates to the field. He dominates in contested catch situations, high pointing the football and rising above defenders to meet it with soft hands. Allen’s long arms extend his catch radius and help him win as a blocker. He understands and executes his blocks in the running game at a high level, although there’s still room for his pad level and hand placement to improve. Allen is a mobile blocker who takes smart angles to eliminate second-level targets. While he’s not a mauler, Allen displays good pop at the point of contact. He has the strength to seal edge rushers and has a strong understanding of horizontal leverage. Unfortunately, Allen lacks high-end physical traits. He’s not sudden or twitchy, and his speed doesn’t threaten defenses vertically”

I am pretty excited about this pick for our offense!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
FWIW I love this pick, Allen can block, that's right a TE that can actually block. My prediction is that Allen will be TE2 this year with Hunter Long being TE3 and Brycen Hopkins being released. It just seems they don't have confidence in Hopkins, although Hopkins seems to have very good hands.

Tano

Legend
FWIW I love this pick, Allen can block, that's right a TE that can actually block. My prediction is that Allen will be TE2 this year with Hunter Long being TE3 and Brycen Hopkins being released. It just seems they don't have confidence in Hopkins, although Hopkins seems to have very good hands.
Hopkins cannot block worth a damn.

He is a WR who is too slow to be a WR

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
That's how I see it (in terms of seeing the field) but we should keep all 4 IMO because we need to use more TE sets [Note, I agree Tano but lets not forget what Hopkins did in the clutch when called upon]

That would help our OL, WRs (in terms of route development) and RBs no end

I have heard commentators who I respect say that McVay is going back to, let's call it, his Washington OC roots for 2023

If so, more physicality and a stronger running game would also help our young defense in terms of time of possession

Psycho_X

Legend
Yeah the more I watch on this kid the more I like this pick. He is a bit lumbering at top speed but really like how he moves his frame. He definitely boosts our blocking capabilities when needed but will be a great dump off weapon to exploit in the 0-10 yard range. If he's got good instincts he'll be a good target against holes in underneath zone.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like this draft but this may be one of my favorite picks. Would like to add the ND St TE too in UDFA if he isn't gone, haven't looked yet.
I like the ND state kid a whole lot. Friggin Seahawks sniped him

Tano

Legend
That's how I see it (in terms of seeing the field) but we should keep all 4 IMO because we need to use more TE sets [Note, I agree Tano but lets not forget what Hopkins did in the clutch when called upon]

That would help our OL, WRs (in terms of route development) and RBs no end

I have heard commentators who I respect say that McVay is going back to, let's call it, his Washington OC roots for 2023

If so, more physicality and a stronger running game would also help our young defense in terms of time of possession
Oh he can get open as a tight end and does a good job catching the ball, but he can't block and in this offense he needs to be able to block. In the super bowl, we couldn't run at all because of the TE blocking but he did do a good job catching the ball when thrown to.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
Oh he can get open as a tight end and does a good job catching the ball, but he can't block and in this offense he needs to be able to block. In the super bowl, we couldn't run at all because of the TE blocking but he did do a good job catching the ball when thrown to.
Tano,
All I know is that on 4th and 1 with the Super Bowl hanging in the balance the Rams ran Cooper Kupp on a jet sweep and Brycen Hopkins blocked Sam Hubbard out of the play allowing Kupp to cut it up inside to convert to a first down.
The Rams continued the drive and scored with about a minute left to win the Lombardi.
Mebbe the biggest block in Rams history.
Just sayin'...

~ArkyRamsFan~

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Tano,
All I know is that on 4th and 1 with the Super Bowl hanging in the balance the Rams ran Cooper Kupp on a jet sweep and Brycen Hopkins blocked Sam Hubbard out of the play allowing Kupp to cut it up inside to convert to a first down.
The Rams continued the drive and scored with about a minute left to win the Lombardi.
Just sayin'...

~ArkyRamsFan~
It worked, but let's not pretend that he wasn't supposed to block the guy at the LOS instead of getting pushed back a couple yards, which would have allowed Kupp to break a longer run outside.

Tano

Legend
Tano,
Just sayin'...

~ArkyRamsFan~
That's probably the only block that I ever saw him do that I would grade an A

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
For a team with such a rich and storied history, the fact that we’ve never had a truly outstanding TE is something of a mystery.
Yea, but look at our RB history. There's not a team in the league that has had that much success at that position. Maybe any position.