Rams select Davis Allen (TE) with the 175th pick.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
FWIW I love this pick, Allen can block, that's right a TE that can actually block. My prediction is that Allen will be TE2 this year with Hunter Long being TE3 and Brycen Hopkins being released. It just seems they don't have confidence in Hopkins, although Hopkins seems to have very good hands.

Gotta say I disagree with Hopkins having good hands, dude lets way to many catches into his body. Thankfully he does come up with many of them.

WestCoastRam

Legend
FWIW I love this pick, Allen can block, that's right a TE that can actually block. My prediction is that Allen will be TE2 this year with Hunter Long being TE3 and Brycen Hopkins being released. It just seems they don't have confidence in Hopkins, although Hopkins seems to have very good hands.

Yeah, I'll wait to see if we can reclaim Long but I put it at 50/50 right now that Hopkins actually beats him out. Allen should take the TE 2 spot and give us that blocking presence we've missed since Mundt left (and was injured in 2021). He will probably be able to add more to the passing game than the TE 2's we've had in the past too.

If I remember correctly, we lost Mundt to injury in 2021 and when we wanted to juice the running game, ended up bringing Noteboom in as a third tackle/TE in some packages. Hopkins has been a below average blocker at best so having a guy who can block will be great and can free up Skow for some other assignments.

Last edited:

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
Gotta say I disagree with Hopkins having good hands, dude lets way to many catches into his body. Thankfully he does come up with many of them.
This is Hopkins’ prove it or lose it year but he still provides veteran depth at relatively little money

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I have not seen him drop any, especially on the final drive in the Super Bowl.

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
Like this pick - if he runs a 4.6 he probably goes 2 rounds earlier. If he can block and get open on third down, heck he’ll play for us for the next 5-10 years. If he doesn’t then, we used a 5th rounder on him - no biggie.

Last edited:

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
He looks damn good to me. Catches with his hands, not his body. He catches in traffic and when the ball has a little mustard on it.
And he blocks!

I don’t know what else you want from a rookie TE coming into camp. Excellent pick—one of my favorites.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I’m fine with the Davis Allen pick. He was good at Clemson - not flashy, but very effective. If the Rams think he’s the eventual Higbee replacement after this year, I’d have to agree.

Long and - especially - Hopkins better step up, or they will be left behind really soon.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Davis Allen and Brycen Hopkins draft report comparison

Davis Allen TE - Clemson

HEIGHT:
6'5 1/2"

WEIGHT: 245

HAND: 10"

ARM: 32 1/4"

WINGSPAN:

40-YARD DASH:

3-CONE: N/A

SHUTTLE: N/A

VERTICAL: 38.5"

BROAD: 10'5"

2022 STATISTICS

— 14 G, 39 REC, 443 YDS (11.4 AVG), 5 TD

STRENGTHS

—Capable of tracking passes from many angles. Good sideline awareness, taps quick feet to stay in-bounds.

—Knee-bend and technique are good and Allen shows decent power when his hands hit the target.

—A fluid mover capable of creating some separation over the middle of the field, he has the long arms and soft hands to provide a sizable catch radius.

—Good body control to reach back for the pass behind him. High-points passes and has good vertical, timing and hand-eye coordination in jump-ball situations.

—Good effort at the point of attack and second level as a blocker. Intelligent and will quickly acclimate to an NFL offense.

WEAKNESSES

—Struggles tracking the ball over his shoulder.

—Won't overwhelm opposing defensive backs with speed and athleticism.

—Not a burner and doesn’t have elite suddenness, which is problematic considering his average size.

—Has constantly ran a limited route tree.

OVERALL

Allen possesses a large frame, reliable hands, the strength to seal defenders as a run blocker, the size to play over smaller defenders, and a high football IQ, but he lacks standout athletic traits that many teams covet in modern tight ends.

GRADE: 72

---------------------------------------------------------

Brycen Hopkins TE - Purdue​

HEIGHT: 6'5

HAND: 10.13"

WINGSPAN:

40-YARD DASH:

VERTICAL: 33.5"

BROAD: 9'6"

2019 STATISTICS

— 12 G, 61 REC, 830 YDS (13.6 AVG), 7

STRENGTHS

—More athletic than his 4.66-second 40 time; has enough wiggle and power to be dangerous after the catch.

—Can go up and get the football at its highest point in a crowd; catch-in-traffic rating is a plus.

—Fits the mold of a slot/move tight end; not much of an in-line tight end.

—Good body control to twist and turn to haul in off-target throws.

—Great vision to track the ball and reel it in; doesn't let the ball get into his body.

WEAKNESSES

—Lacks ideal size and strength to be an in-line tight end; scheme-specific prospect who will mainly play in the slot.

—Struggles to create separation with his routes or body shielding; has to make the catch in traffic.

—Limited run-blocker who wasn't asked to block much at Purdue; needs to develop strength with his hands and a willingness to be a blocker.

—Has good speed for a tight end but slow for a slot receiver.

—Too many drops on tape are a major concern.

OVERALL

Drops are hard to overlook, but the rest of Hopkins' game screams high-level contributor in the NFL. He's athletic, versatile and a natural athlete in space. Given opportunities to work up the seam or split out wide, he should produce early in his NFL career.

GRADE: 73

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Davis Allen and Brycen Hopkins draft report comparison

Davis Allen TE - Clemson

HEIGHT:
6'5 1/2"

HAND: 10"

WINGSPAN:

40-YARD DASH:

VERTICAL: 38.5"

BROAD: 10'5"

2022 STATISTICS

— 14 G, 39 REC, 443 YDS (11.4 AVG), 5 TD

STRENGTHS

—Capable of tracking passes from many angles. Good sideline awareness, taps quick feet to stay in-bounds.

—Knee-bend and technique are good and Allen shows decent power when his hands hit the target.

—A fluid mover capable of creating some separation over the middle of the field, he has the long arms and soft hands to provide a sizable catch radius.

—Good body control to reach back for the pass behind him. High-points passes and has good vertical, timing and hand-eye coordination in jump-ball situations.

—Good effort at the point of attack and second level as a blocker. Intelligent and will quickly acclimate to an NFL offense.

WEAKNESSES

—Struggles tracking the ball over his shoulder.

—Won't overwhelm opposing defensive backs with speed and athleticism.

—Not a burner and doesn’t have elite suddenness, which is problematic considering his average size.

—Has constantly ran a limited route tree.

OVERALL

Allen possesses a large frame, reliable hands, the strength to seal defenders as a run blocker, the size to play over smaller defenders, and a high football IQ, but he lacks standout athletic traits that many teams covet in modern tight ends.

GRADE: 72

---------------------------------------------------------

Brycen Hopkins TE - Purdue​

HEIGHT: 6'5

HAND: 10.13"

WINGSPAN:

40-YARD DASH:

VERTICAL: 33.5"

BROAD: 9'6"

2019 STATISTICS

— 12 G, 61 REC, 830 YDS (13.6 AVG), 7

STRENGTHS

—More athletic than his 4.66-second 40 time; has enough wiggle and power to be dangerous after the catch.

—Can go up and get the football at its highest point in a crowd; catch-in-traffic rating is a plus.

—Fits the mold of a slot/move tight end; not much of an in-line tight end.

—Good body control to twist and turn to haul in off-target throws.

—Great vision to track the ball and reel it in; doesn't let the ball get into his body.

WEAKNESSES

—Lacks ideal size and strength to be an in-line tight end; scheme-specific prospect who will mainly play in the slot.

—Struggles to create separation with his routes or body shielding; has to make the catch in traffic.

—Limited run-blocker who wasn't asked to block much at Purdue; needs to develop strength with his hands and a willingness to be a blocker.

—Has good speed for a tight end but slow for a slot receiver.

—Too many drops on tape are a major concern.

OVERALL

Drops are hard to overlook, but the rest of Hopkins' game screams high-level contributor in the NFL. He's athletic, versatile and a natural athlete in space. Given opportunities to work up the seam or split out wide, he should produce early in his NFL career.

GRADE: 73

I’d like to see Hunter Long’s scouting report, please; I’d bring it myself, but I’m on my phone, and my computer is broken.

Memphis Ram

Legend

I still wonder how a team so tight up against the salary cap can keep Highbee at a $9.125 million cap number.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Tano,
All I know is that on 4th and 1 with the Super Bowl hanging in the balance the Rams ran Cooper Kupp on a jet sweep and Brycen Hopkins blocked Sam Hubbard out of the play allowing Kupp to cut it up inside to convert to a first down.
The Rams continued the drive and scored with about a minute left to win the Lombardi.
Mebbe the biggest block in Rams history.
Just sayin'...

~ArkyRamsFan~

That's probably the only block that I ever saw him do that I would grade an A
Hopkins failed his assignment on that play. Hubbard read the play and made the move to stop the outside run, which Hopkins was trying to prevent him from doing. Kupp saw it play out and decided to turn it up inside. It was his only choice to get any yards.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
Hopkins failed his assignment on that play. Hubbard read the play and made the move to stop the outside run, which Hopkins was trying to prevent him from doing. Kupp saw it play out and decided to turn it up inside. It was his only choice to get any yards.

I saw it completely the opposite. When I played some ball we had what we called an option block. If the DE crashed inside you would take him that way and the runner would read it and bounce outside. If he played it wider you would block him out toward the sidelines and let the runner cut it back up inside. Which ever way the DE went you took him on a ride that way and the runner would read it and cut inside or out.
Looked to me that's what happened on that play. The Cincy DE, Sam Hubbard, took a wide approach to defend the edge and Hopkins blocked him out wide and Kupp cut inside and got about 8 yards for the first down.
I do believe if we hadn't of converted that 4th down we don't win the Lombardi. An incredible moment in Rams football history.
Just my .02

~ArkyRamsFan~

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I saw it completely the opposite. When I played some ball we had what we called an option block. If the DE crashed inside you would take him that way and the runner would read it and bounce outside. If he played it wider you would block him out toward the sidelines and let the runner cut it back up inside. Which ever way the DE went you took him on a ride that way and the runner would read it and cut inside or out.
Looked to me that's what happened on that play. The Cincy DE, Sam Hubbard, took a wide approach to defend the edge and Hopkins blocked him out wide and Kupp cut inside and got about 8 yards for the first down.
I do believe if we hadn't of converted that 4th down we don't win the Lombardi. An incredible moment in Rams football history.
Just my .02

~ArkyRamsFan~
That play was big.There were many moments like that though.

The niner DB missing the easiest (duck) pass that went right through his hands.
Nick Scott’s flag for ( PF) hitting Debo that got picked up.
D.Henderson’s 3rd & 10 catch for a 1st.dwn. on the Kupp drive.
—John Sullivan & the fathom holding call against NE will also be one of those moments.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I still wonder how a team so tight up against the salary cap can keep Highbee at a $9.125 million cap number.
IMO Higbeast will have an excellent season & The Rams go with more 12 personnel.
Tyler is a solid Ram whoThe Rams really respect.This is probably his last seastwith The Rams or will have to take a pay cut.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
Isn’t that how the play is designed? One cut based on movement? Poor old Hopkins, it turns out he failed, even though we didn’t :)

Some players will always be whipping boys even when they contribute to a SB title I guess. That’s not to say he has made much progress since. He needs to show enough tangible improvement this season to stick as part of a 4 not 3 TE room

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Isn’t that how the play is designed? One cut based on movement? Poor old Hopkins, it turns out he failed, even though we didn’t :)

Some players will always be whipping boys even when they contribute to a SB title I guess. That’s not to say he has made much progress since. He needs to show enough tangible improvement this season to stick as part of a 4 not 3 TE room
It’s not about being a whipping boy. It’s that people heap praise on Hopkins for a single play, and that play, although pivotal in the Super Bowl, was not executed the way it is explained.

It’s similar to the narrative that had OBJ not been injured, then he assuredly would have been the MVP in that game. 2 catches in one quarter is a strange way to correlate that conclusion. But many people believe it, because that’s what they want to.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Just my .02

~ArkyRamsFan~
Watch Hopkins initial move. He wanted to block Hubbard to the outside. Hubbard beat him to the edge so yes, Hopkins had to shield him from going back inside. It didn’t matter though because Kupp had already turned upfield.

I think people just like to romanticize certain thinks instead of seeing them for what they are. If Hopkins has mastered the blocking technique so well, then why couldn’t he repeat it? It seems to me that Kupp’s vision and quick decision making made that play work.