Rams Select Braden Fiske, DL at #39 Overall.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
He has a fucking Kittle jersey in the background. A San Fran Kittle jersey. Tells me all I need to know.

If he didn't see Fiske as a top fifty player, I don't know what to say. I'm dumbfounded at his stupidity. Dumbfounded. The tape doesn't fucking lie. Yes, Fiske has short arms. Aaron fucking Donald, the best defensive tackle ever, had short arms. Aidan Hutchinson, who is one of the single best 4-3 ends in the game, has short arms, and wins similarly to Fiske - and it matters a HELL of a lot more at edge than it does at defensive tackle, where the offensive guards and centers often have short arms themselves.
He actually calls himself a Rams fan and Dodgers fan. Not sure what kind of Rams fan has a framed Kittle and Metcalf jersey. Seems pretty whack to me.

That said... Just because he claims to be a Rams fan, does it mean he knows anything or that we should take his word for anything but a grain of salt? If he's right, that's a bummer. But I think he is doing what we've seen many times. He's making a knee jerk assessment and now is going to double down. Meh. I'll let the play on the field tell me what kind of player is Fiske.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
He actually calls himself a Rams fan and Dodgers fan. Not sure what kind of Rams fan has a framed Kittle and Metcalf jersey. Seems pretty whack to me.
Maybe he is trying not to show his pro-Rams bias. Maybe he has Rams stuff that is not behind the camera.

That said... Just because he claims to be a Rams fan, does it mean he knows anything or that we should take his word for anything but a grain of salt?
No on has too. But it is often good discussion material to have someone who has an opposing view. Guys like Jake Ellenbogen and Travis Rodgers of and Doug McKain and others are very biased. They kiss the Rams butt on everything, it seems. Why should anyone take their word for anything?

I am not saying this dude is right or wrong. I am saying he does a lot of work. I know that because I looked him up and then watched some of his videos going back. It was impressive the amount of knowledge he has.

If he's right, that's a bummer.
He could be right. He could be wrong. Or somewhere in the middle.

But I think he is doing what we've seen many times. He's making a knee jerk assessment and now is going to double down. Meh. I'll let the play on the field tell me what kind of player is Fiske.
Rams fans are the ones making knee-jerk reactions more than this guy.

People can feel however they want to, I know I do.

Memento said:
He has a fucking Kittle jersey in the background. A San Fran Kittle jersey. Tells me all I need to know.
So you judge what people say based on who they root for?

If he didn't see Fiske as a top fifty player, I don't know what to say. I'm dumbfounded at his stupidity. Dumbfounded. The tape doesn't fucking lie.
Like him or not, disagree or not, he does his work. He's watched more tape than all of us on this board. He's been right and he's been wrong. He does what he does to make money and has a ton of followers.

I really don't think he anti-Rams. He's a guy who studies and puts his work out there.

Yes, Fiske has short arms.
If you listen to what he says in full you'd see he said that as an aside ... as part of the issue. What he said was Fiske cannot stop the run very well, for a guy to be taken that high. His opinion (right or wrong) is based on him watching a lot of college football and doing it year-round and then evaluating it.

Cannot see anything wrong with that.

As someone who liked the pick, who said before the draft that he fit the Rams for what they were doing ... I fully admit I could be wrong. But I am not going to keep upset if someone who does far more work than me as a different conclusion.

There is a difference been opinion and fact and he makes money giving opinions.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Maybe he is trying not to show his pro-Rams bias. Maybe he has Rams stuff that is not behind the camera.

No on has too. But it is often good discussion material to have someone who has an opposing view. Guys like Jake Ellenbogen and Travis Rodgers of and Doug McKain and others are very biased. They kiss the Rams butt on everything, it seems. Why should anyone take their word for anything?

I am not saying this dude is right or wrong. I am saying he does a lot of work. I know that because I looked him up and then watched some of his videos going back. It was impressive the amount of knowledge he has.

He could be right. He could be wrong. Or somewhere in the middle.

Rams fans are the ones making knee-jerk reactions more than this guy.

People can feel however they want to, I know I do.

Like him or not, disagree or not, he does his work. He's watched more tape than all of us on this board. He's been right and he's been wrong. He does what he does to make money and has a ton of followers.

I really don't think he anti-Rams. He's a guy who studies and puts his work out there.

If you listen to what he says in full you'd see he said that as an aside ... as part of the issue. What he said was Fiske cannot stop the run very well, for a guy to be taken that high. His opinion (right or wrong) is based on him watching a lot of college football and doing it year-round and then evaluating it.

As someone who liked the pick, who said before the draft that he fit the Rams for what they were doing ... I fully admit I could be wrong. But I am not going to keep upset if someone who does far more work than me as a different conclusion.

Meh. I've seen many a bad take from people who "watch a lot of film". I'd rather go with success rate of people that have to be right in order to keep their jobs. Talking heads never have to pay - even when they have a shitty track record. As long as they can get clicks, they survive. Means nothing to me. Yep. Zero. Zilch.

Of course I am fine with you posting it. But IMO you are going way overboard and trying too hard to try to prove a point that at this time is literally unprovable.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Meh. I've seen many a bad take from people who "watch a lot of film". I'd rather go with success rate of people that have to be right in order to keep their jobs. Talking heads never have to pay - even when they have a shitty track record. As long as they can get clicks, they survive. Means nothing to me. Yep. Zero. Zilch.
And I see worse takes from people who don't even watch Rams film. Thus just watch the games on TV. SO yeah, people who watch closely can be wrong.

And can be right.

This guy, if you'd do your research actually visits past drafts and grades himself on success and failure. Why does that matter? It doesn't other than he's not what people are saying about it.

Of course I am fine with you posting it. But IMO you are going way overboard and trying too hard to try to prove a point that at this time is literally unprovable.
And what point is that?

I was in favor of Braden Fiske being taken. I also think it's fine they traded up to get him.

The main point is people shouldn't get offended when someone criticizes the Rams. That someone's opinion should not be dismissed as biased just because we don't agree.

I am not trying to say Fiske is going to be good, average, or bad. I don't know and have said so. I just post things that are critical of the pick so folks can see what the arguments from the people who are saying them.

I disagree with that AJ Shulte guy ... on Braden. But I also recognize he was pretty informed in general, just wasn't up to snuff on details.

But I have seen Blaine Grisak get more wrong than AJ, but AJ never gets grief because he's a Rams fan and almost always has pro-Rams in his takes.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Agree or disagree with him, I do think he's pointing out the issues that will pop up if he's a failed pick.
That's my opinion too. He's only getting grief because he's not kissing Rams' butts and saying how wonderful the pick is.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
And what point is that?
That the Rams severely "overpaid" for Fiske. Most if not all of your posts are attempts to drive that home.

It's not a real big deal but I don't see how you feel we need redundant reminders that some talking heads think we fucked up with the traded picks or that you should feel obligated to constantly remind us through pundits that you feel we overpaid.
Yawn.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Fiske might have too much gristle for today's world. But that's what is going to shine on the field. Sometimes "old school" methods are not very sexy but they will make you spend extra time in the ice tub after you encounter them. Stock up on ice NFL!!!!!

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I have no idea if Fiske will turn out to be a good player. Or any other pick for that matter. I never buy into the excitement over a pick perceived to be a good one. And I don't buy into someone's assessment a guy will be a disappointment. I prefer to wait and see how it plays out on the field when it counts. And that process takes a few years. I'm pretty sure all these guys who grade players and drafts get more wrong than right.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
That the Rams severely "overpaid" for Fiske. Most if not all of your posts are attempts to drive that home.
Wrong. Why? Because I don't agree with the premise. I don't think Rams "severely" overpaid. I think they overpaid and it was worth it based on certain factors. I have said more than once it's not a big deal. That is made sense.

It's not a real big deal
Wow. Exactly what I have been saying.

but I don't see how you feel we need redundant reminders that some talking heads think we fucked up with the traded picks or that you should feel obligated to constantly remind us through pundits that you feel we overpaid.
Some people like to read opposing opinions. Some do not. If you don't like them, don't engage by quoting. I engage people who engage me. If you don't want to, just ignore it.

This is a Rams board. Rams decisions are under scrutiny and that is topic for conversation. it's why all chat boards exist.

No one is making you read them. No one is making you form opinions that you've got nothing to gain from these talking heads. No one is making you say that the answer to who is right and who is wrong is unknowable at this point.

You posted those things.

If you don't care what talking heads have to say on the matter or if you've seen bad takes from smart people. If it means nothing to you, -- zero, zilch then zero and zilch should have been the number of times you quoted the original post.

IMO you are trying too hard to hide the fact that opposing views on this issue do matter. You're just more subtle than Memento. I think "Meh" and "Yawn" are not actually how you feel about this.

Amazing to me how people get so offended over nothing - a few posts that are not just sycophanticly pro-Rams.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
I have no idea if Fiske will turn out to be a good player. Or any other pick for that matter. I never buy into the excitement over a pick perceived to be a good one.
Agree

And I don't buy into someone's assessment a guy will be a disappointment. I prefer to wait and see how it plays out on the field when it counts.
Agree. Which is why I don't get too much into Draftnik stuff. Some people like it. I care only to a degree to be informed. I watch them play in the NFL and see how they fit, what they are made of and enjoy seeing them play.

I'm pretty sure all these guys who grade players and drafts get more wrong than right.
I bet that's right. Both pro and con. Interestingly this last guy I posted goes back at all his proedections and comments if he's right or wrong. That was what was most impressive about him. I'd never heard of him until a few days ago. But I looked at his YouTube and went and listened to his past predictions for the Rams and then listened to him grade himself.

So, there are times I want to learn something and now I have a source on YouTube I can go to and at least I know he's reasonable and fair. Right or wrong? To me does not matter. What matters is I can listen to him rattle off names and have something intelligent to say about all of them.

For me, learning about football is satisfying and enjoyable even if some talking head people get some things wrong.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Wrong. Why? Because I don't agree with the premise. I don't think Rams "severely" overpaid. I think they overpaid and it was worth it based on certain factors. I have said more than once it's not a big deal. That is made sense.

Wow. Exactly what I have been saying.

Some people like to read opposing opinions. Some do not. If you don't like them, don't engage by quoting. I engage people who engage me. If you don't want to, just ignore it.

This is a Rams board. Rams decisions are under scrutiny and that is topic for conversation. it's why all chat boards exist.

No one is making you read them. No one is making you form opinions that you've got nothing to gain from these talking heads. No one is making you say that the answer to who is right and who is wrong is unknowable at this point.

You posted those things.

If you don't care what talking heads have to say on the matter or if you've seen bad takes from smart people. If it means nothing to you, -- zero, zilch then zero and zilch should have been the number of times you quoted the original post.

IMO you are trying too hard to hide the fact that opposing views on this issue do matter. You're just more subtle than Memento. I think "Meh" and "Yawn" are not actually how you feel about this.

Amazing to me how people get so offended over nothing - a few posts that are not just sycophanticly pro-Rams.

Love how you name dropped me and talked about how I feel as if you know exactly how I feel. Way to go. Your shtick is so old that the Triassic dinosaurs have probably used it.

And you know what? I hate to break it to you, but this is a pro-Rams site. Homerism, pro-Rams, this is literally what this entire site was founded on. It was founded on us being a bunch of fans shooting shit at a bar, being respectful.

So, of course you're getting pushback, and then you hide behind the guise of "realism" and "if you don't like, don't read" and express amazement at "people getting so offended over nothing - a few posts that are not just sycophanticly (spelled it wrong, by the way; it's "sycophantically") pro-Rams."

Memento

Name
Jemma
Damn straight I do. It's called being a "fanatic" and not liking rival teams or teams that have really screwed us over. If this guy has a San Fran Kittle jersey and a D.K. Metcalf Seattle jersey, and he's giving a literal "F" on a pick that a rival team of both of the teams whose jerseys are in his house, how can I trust that he's being objective?

Jay Zygmunt and Billy Devaney made a ton of money and ran the Rams into the ground with their decisions. Just because he makes money to give an opinion on a rival team doesn't mean it's the end-be-all, that we should agree with what he says.

Scouts said Aaron Donald couldn't stop the run. Scouts said that Aiden Hutchinson was a tweener because of his arms and "didn't have the potential of Travon Walker". Scouts said that Maxx Crosby was not athletic enough.

I've watched the tape myself. I honestly have that time on my hands because I'm disabled. I don't claim to be perfect - far from it - but from what I see, Fiske gets into the backfield with a quick first step and motor. Even when he himself is not stopping the running back, he is at least slowing him down for other players to attack the backfield, to combine for a stop for a loss or - at the very least - a one-yard or two-yard gain. That is stopping the run in a nutshell.

Like it or not, teams value pass-rushing more than run-stopping. Fiske provides the former and does well enough with the latter. I made the comparison of an older Bryan Bresee, and I'm sticking to it.

I will agree on that. And if I'm wrong, I'll admit it.

All I will say is that my opinion and his are not different. The fact that he makes money with opinions that aren't the least bit objectional does not make his opinion worth more or less than mine. The phrase, "opinions are like assholes" comes to mind with this.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Love how you name dropped me and talked about how I feel as if you know exactly how I feel. Way to go. Your shtick is so old that the Triassic dinosaurs have probably used it.

And you know what? I hate to break it to you, but this is a pro-Rams site. Homerism, pro-Rams, this is literally what this entire site was founded on. It was founded on us being a bunch of fans shooting shit at a bar, being respectful.

So, of course you're getting pushback, and then you hide behind the guise of "realism" and "if you don't like, don't read" and express amazement at "people getting so offended over nothing - a few posts that are not just sycophanticly (spelled it wrong, by the way; it's "sycophantically") pro-Rams."
You got me on the misspelling. Guilty as charged.

The rest? Someone it seems gets offended very easily and strikes out with vituperation. (spell check that, please)

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
If this guy has a San Fran Kittle jersey and a D.K. Metcalf Seattle jersey, and he's giving a literal "F" on a pick that a rival team of both of the teams whose jerseys are in his house, how can I trust that he's being objective?
Do some research. Read or watch more than one thing he's done. My opinion is you don't judge a book by its cover. Maybe he has a DK jersey because he touted DK and criticized the teams that passed on him. He talks about "me guys", guys he watches and likes.

I learned all this because I looked into his background. I thought to myself there is no way a guy with 100,000 YouTube followers was as bad as you and others said.

Right or wrong, good or bad, he covers all 32 teams and I did not detect any pro 49er bias or Rams hate. When you look into him you may find differently, but at least do the due diligence.

Memento

Name
Jemma
You got me on the misspelling. Guilty as charged.

The rest? Someone it seems gets offended very easily and strikes out with vituperation. (spell check that, please)

Only because you started with your supercilious verbiage (please use dictionary.com to explain those two words to you; anyone can use that) from the very jump when you've been warned multiple times. I've tried to be patient and give you the benefit of the doubt before the draft. You're the one who is "guilty as charged", and instead of taking an introspective glance into whom you are as a person, you blame everyone else for not being able to handle your "realism", because - as you clearly ignored what I said in the middle paragraph I typed - this is not a site for bashing based on pessimistic takes disguised as "realism". The specific mission of this site has always, is always, and will always be for the homers to have a safe haven from the people who would bash the organization for what they do. I'm not saying they don't make mistakes, that we can't call people out on making mistakes, but posting constant negative, "contrarian" videos on a Rams player that hasn't played a game yet? Really? That's really the hill you're going to die on?

Normally, I don't give a shit about the spelling and grammar of people here, and people here can vouch for me when I say that I try not to argue a lot out of spite. You have constantly flouted the rules here, constantly annoyed people who have been members longer than you've known this site existed, constantly shown that you are not willing to listen to other people or take their thoughts into consideration (i.e., constantly spoiling picks during the draft and ignoring people who were asking you politely not to do it multiple times), constantly proved your online (as I will give you the benefit of the doubt and say you aren't like this offline) character.

I'm only "offended" that you haven't learned a damned thing and continue to do the same arrogant, rule-flouting shit that you've made your M.O. from the first post on. Yes, you do know a lot about football, probably more than I do, but that does not excuse your behavior as a person.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
I'm only "offended" that you haven't learned a damned thing and continue to do the same arrogant, rule-flouting shit that you've made your M.O. from the first post on. Yes, you do know a lot about football, probably more than I do, but that does not excuse your behavior as a person.
You're offended because some guy who studies tape -- in good faith -- does not have a lemming-like pro-Rams mentality. For whatever reason you see it as some sort of personal shot at the Rams or Fiske.

It's just a guy doing what he likes and you accusing him of being antiRams when he is actually a Rams fan. But not a pure enough Rams fans for your tastes.

Good rant, though. LOL

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
You're offended because some guy who studies tape -- in good faith -- does not have a lemming-like pro-Rams mentality. For whatever reason you see it as some sort of personal shot at the Rams or Fiske.
I'll take most of my opinion on your posts to PM to save the board this back and forth. But let me say that it is not that it is some guy who studies tape bagging on the Rams. It is that a member of this forum keeps posting shit from people like that on this board.