Rams release chris long jared cook and jl55

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
These moves came early
So I have to think Saffold still could be the next to go but there are more considerations in regards to the offensive line with lack if depth as oppose to our defense

RamBill

Legend
Rams cut ties with mainstays Long, Laurinaitis
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_71283598-349d-50c0-99d8-9b5828820849.html

Middle linebacker James Laurinaitis started 112 games in seven seasons. In the 21 seasons for the Rams in St. Louis, only Isaac Bruce (179), Orlando Pace (154), Torry Holt (146), and Steven Jackson (119) started more.

Because of injuries the past two seasons, defensive end Chris Long fell short of 100 starts. But in terms of overall tenure — eight seasons — only nine players were part of the team here longer — a group that includes Andy McCollum, Chris Massey, Marc Bulger, Jeff Wilkins and Leonard Little, in addition to Bruce, Pace, Holt, and Jackson.

So we’re talking two mainstays of the team in St. Louis. But as of Friday, they’re former Rams who won’t be making the trek to Los Angeles because the team announced it was releasing Long, Laurinaitis and tight end Jared Cook.

The moves save the Rams $23 million in salary cap space, broken down as follows: Long ($11.75 million), Cook ($5.7 million) and Laurinaitis ($5.25 million).

But to say the moves were totally cap-related would be incorrect. Because based on salary cap figures on file with the NFL Players Association, the Rams already had $37 million in cap space before Friday’s cuts — based on projections of a $155 million cap figure per team in 2016.

Throw in $6 million of carryover money unspent from the 2015 season, and the Rams are on track to have nearly $66 million in cap space once the free agency and trading period begins March 9.

Even before Friday’s moves, the Rams had far more cap room than they’d had available in any of the 21 offseasons for the team in St. Louis. Suffice it to say the Rams plan to make a big splash in free agency and/or trades as they return to Los Angeles.

“This is the time of year when all NFL teams are faced with difficult decisions regarding their veteran players,” coach Jeff Fisher said in a statement released by the team. “Chris and James are the epitome of what it means to be a pro in this league, and it’s been an honor to coach them both.

“They’ve been the pillars of our defense for many years and not enough can be said of their love for the game and for their teammates. Beyond the field, they took pride in mentoring the younger players and doing their part to make a real difference in the St. Louis community.”

Nice words, to be sure. But truth be told, the Rams simply think they can do better than Long, Laurinaitis and Cook at their respective positions.

“I didn’t see this one coming,” Laurinaitis told the Post-Dispatch in a phone interview Friday night.

In the weeks since league owners approved the Rams’ relocation to Los Angeles, the team had asked Laurinaitis to do a few media interviews in the LA market. And he had made himself available.

“So I was like, if they’re gonna call and ask me to do that, I must be all right,” Laurinaitis said. “I thought maybe at worst, a pay cut. I still felt like I was producing.”

Laurinaitis, 29, led the Rams in tackles in his first four seasons in St. Louis. This past season, he became the franchise’s career tackles leader. Over his seven seasons with the Rams, Laurinaitis missed only a handful of snaps, and as a team captain provided much-needed leadership to what has been perennially one of the league’s youngest teams since Fisher arrived in 2012.

Laurinaitis kept playing despite a nagging foot injury in 2014 and an elbow injury this past season that basically had him playing with one arm over the past 10 games of the season. If he were a baseball pitcher, he would’ve needed Tommy John surgery. But for football, the elbow did not require surgery.

Laurinaitis was at Rams Park working out Friday when he got called upstairs to Fisher’s office.

“He said it was one of the toughest (cuts) he’s had to do in his career — up there with (Steve) McNair and (Eddie) George,” Laurinaitis said.

All indications are that the Rams plan to move Alec Ogletree inside to fill Laurinaitis’ spot and re-sign free agent Mark Barron and have him play outside linebacker.

“That makes sense,” Laurinaitis said. “Alec will do a good job there. It’s a new chapter now. It’s the first time in my career I get to look around and see where I want to go.”

Neither Long nor Cook could be reached to comment Friday, but Long, 30, posted the following message on his Instagram account during the afternoon:

“Just heard that I’m about to be unemployed. I just want to personally thank the city of St. Louis again for all your support over eight years. . . .

“Bottom line is, this is a production business. No excuses, the last two years have been (bleep). It’s been painful to experience because I care deeply about my performance and my responsibility to my teammates. Before the last two years, I’m very proud of what I was able to accomplish in St. Louis.”

Severe injuries cost Long 14 games combined in the 2014 and 2015 seasons. But from 2010-13, Long was one of the league’s top pass rushers, registering 41½ sacks over a four-year period.

Cook joined the Rams from Tennessee via free agency in 2103, signing a five-year, $35.1 million contract.

“Jared made an immediate impact when he joined the team in 2013,” Fisher said in his statement. “It’s been a pleasure watching him grow from the time I drafted him in Tennessee to seeing him set franchise records in St. Louis.”

In 2013, Cook caught 51 passes for 671 yards, a franchise record for receiving yards by a tight end. He posted similar numbers in 2014, but was called upon to block more in 2015 and his production dropped to 39 catches for 481 yards.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
How can Nick Wagoner post this nonsense? The Rams likely did not need cap room to resign their free agents, certainly not immediately to resign the key "Migos" in the secondary, and if it was even close, cutting any one of the three vets would have sufficed. No, this is about something entirely different: a big splash in free agency. The question is, what is their strategy? A free agent quarterback? If so, who? A wr? Alshon Jeffries? A DE? The only other reason would be to max out front loading of the resign contracts in this year, something Demoff is well versed in, to save money for coming years... but this seems less likely to me.

Ants

Starter
Great... now this means that the rams will draft more defensive players and continue to ignore the offense! I hope there are free agents that will be worth signing and are upgrades because they are screwed if there aren't any.

:thinking: Yes, Like T. Austin, Gurley, and um...all the offensive line players we drafted last year?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jim Thomas ‏@jthom1
Cutting Long, Laurinaitis leaves 4 players under contract who preceded Fisher arrival in '12: G Saffold, DE Quinn, TE Kendricks, LS McQuaide

Heard earlier this offseason that team might place transition tag on CB Trumaine Johnson if unable to get long-term deal.

I think the Rams feel like they have a real good chance of re-signing Barron to play OLB and Hayes to start at LDE (Long's old spot).

While many NFL players are hanging out at beach this time of year, Laurinaitis was working out at Rams Park Fri, when called upstairs,

"I didn't see this one coming," now ex-Rams LB James Laurinaitis told me earlier tonight.

Sorry JT you forgot Eugene Sims, drafted in the 6th round of 2010 and has played his entire career for the Rams.

lordbannon

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I havent read anything in this thread - Ive been stuck at work the entire past week without a breath of air. That said, I would HATE it if we didnt find a way to bring back at least one of laurinitis/long on a discount. They may not be tearing things up, but as a young D, I feel like we need cornerstones like them. I would love both of them back in a backup role. Even at more than backup rates. I dont necessarily want either as the starter next year, but something as simple as having Long here would make it easier to resign Hayes. And having JL here would ease any transition at MLB, whether it be Tree in the spot, or someone new. I feel both athletes are aware of their lacking at this point, and as long as they arent completely dissed, they would be willing to come back around.

But who knows, I'm sure teams with real deficiencies at either position will throw more money at them than they are worth to us at face value.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He is on an expiring contract.
Yes and no, free agency hasn't started yet his contract is still good with the Rams he cannot sign with anybody else. Very soon (March 9th) he'll be a free agent but as of right now he's a Rams player.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
Yes and no, free agency hasn't started yet his contract is still good with the Rams he cannot sign with anybody else. Very soon (March 9th) he'll be a free agent but as of right now he's a Rams player.

Correct.gif

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Two things:

1) several have asked "why now?" The answer is two fold. One is that the Rams have a voluntary meeting in LA to discuss relocation logistics among other things in early March and they didn't want anyone committing anything who wasn't going to be there. Second, Fisher has a history of making early cuts that give players a better chance of finding employment elsewhere. That's one thing players really respect about Fisher, if he's done, fine, at least cut them and let them make a living unlike some coaches who'll use a guy as a pawn and it may cost that guy an entire season for no reason other than gamesmanship.

2) Ryan Clark was stating that under the new CBA there is essentially two FA periods. For guys cut now, they can sign with anyone. They do not need to wait. I dunno if it's a glitch in the CBA (wouldn't be the first) or if Clark got it wrong, but if he's correct, we may be able to sign someone liked Tulloch now. He may not want that because the full market doesn't open up until March 8 or w/e, but unless I'm mistaken, Chris Long, JL and Cook can sign immediately after their releases are finalized by the league.

RamBill

Legend
James Laurinaitis looking for chance to 'get the trophy' at next stop
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...ing-for-chance-to-get-the-trophy-in-next-stop

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Always one to look at the bright side of even the worst situation -- something he had plenty of practice doing playing for the Rams the past seven years -- linebacker James Laurinaitis was already looking ahead to his next destination just hours after the only NFL team he'd ever known released him Friday.

"I’m not done at all," Laurinaitis told ESPN. "I feel like I have a lot of good years left. I don’t know what to expect. This is my first time being a free agent. I’m going to look at what the interest is and let my agent go and talk to teams and see kind of who is out there. I obviously want to have a chance to get in the tournament and a chance to get the trophy. It will be fun to kind of have this process play out for the first time for me."

Laurinaitis was caught off guard when he was called into coach Jeff Fisher's office Friday. He was at the team facility working out at the time. He immediately knew something was up.

"Coach just thanked me for what I meant to the organization," Laurinaitis said. "He really thought that I was first class and the blueprint for what a pro should be and was just grateful for all I’d done. Basically, he wished me luck in the future and I was told they are going to go a different direction at the 'Mike' linebacker position."

"I’m more just, I was surprised by it, I was shocked at first," he said. "But I also know this is a business and when you start to move toward the front of the parking spaces and get a little older, all those people in front of you have left so you are not any different than anybody else who is getting up there. I’m going into Year 8 and I’m still 29 and I still feel like I’m playing at a productive level. I was a little shocked from that point of view but man, other than that, it’s a business.

"Once you get to Year 8, you really allow yourself to kind of sit back and be like, ‘You know what, I’m not going to be surprised by anything.’ I have seen a lot of things and seen a lot of people go. I have been grateful to have seven years with the same team. That’s rare in and of itself. I’m not bitter about that. Just a little surprised it happened this year but that’s football."

Laurinaitis has made plenty of money in his career, but he has never been on a team that finished .500, let alone with a winning record or in the playoffs. He's coming off a season in which he battled an elbow issue for most of the year but still played more defensive snaps than any player in the league. And he posted his seventh consecutive season of 100 or more tackles, on his way to becoming the franchise's all-time leader in that category.

"Goodness, for me, I want to get to 10 or 11 years," Laurinaitis said. "I think I’ve still got four years left in me, if not more. It all depends on the organization. I want to win, I want to compete, I want to get to the playoffs and experience that. I want to play in a good scheme, I loved playing for (defensive coordinator) Gregg Williams. Him and Blake (Williams) and that scheme is one of my favorites. I’m excited to see what other schemes are out there and what could be a good fit."

Though Laurinaitis didn't think he'd be looking for such a fit so soon, he even found a silver lining in the timing of it all, as the Rams have a voluntary players meeting set for early March in Los Angeles.

"I am happy about that," Laurinaitis said. "At least they told me so I don’t have to go out there with my wife and daughter and try to look at places and go through all that to be cut at a later date. I think it’s good now that teams are aware I’m a free agent and that I’ll be available. So the one thing I’m trying to look at as a positive is the timing."

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
That last part is key. Don't think vets don't pay attention to stuff like that. There are guys who know they are going to get cut and will be late cuts as leverage for contract negotiations for the guy their teams ultimately sign.

Fisher and Snead didn't do that. They cut early when they can to give guys a shot at finding another gig.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
How can Nick Wagoner post this nonsense? The Rams likely did not need cap room to resign their free agents, certainly not immediately to resign the key "Migos" in the secondary, and if it was even close, cutting any one of the three vets would have sufficed. No, this is about something entirely different: a big splash in free agency. The question is, what is their strategy? A free agent quarterback? If so, who? A wr? Alshon Jeffries? A DE? The only other reason would be to max out front loading of the resign contracts in this year, something Demoff is well versed in, to save money for coming years... but this seems less likely to me.

I don't think a big splash in free agency is likely. Every team got extra cap room to go all in on their best players.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Rams hope to play Ogletree at MLB and Barron at WLB. I get it the idea of putting their most athletic players on the field, but I have never considered Ogletree to be a MLB, despite playing there in Georgia. He is best in space. He is not a great block shredder.

Interesting experiment if true.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Regarding Long, I thought he was a likely cut because he was very slow this year and when he started last year teams like the Giants had great success running right at him. Our edge defense sucked the last two years. Washington had success running outside too. Laurinitis was too slow and not sideline to sideline anymore. That hurt the run D on the outside and long was a weakness there too so the moneymaker sense. It isn't reasonable to assume their play would have improved. It likely would just decline more next year.