Rams release chris long jared cook and jl55

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
I hate to see both Chris Long and James Lauranitis gone , I mean I get it , and I understand it , but still pretty bummed , Chris Long has been one of my favorite players for 8 years now , although it is kind of hard to believe it's been 8 years

But I hate to see this happen to any players like Chris Long and James Lauranitis , they spend their whole career with one team , and never once even sniff the playoffs , because you know these guys had the chance to move on to better teams , but chose to stick it out with a crappy team , only to be released just before things got good

I would just like to give a big Thank You to both players

This sums up how I feel as well. I feel bad these two guys never had a chance to play for a ring with the Rams.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Cook was pretty good the first two years, but this last year he was just going through the motions. It's a shame, because that man could get open.

Long was no surprise, he didn't play well, and was due a huge amount of money.

JL55 I'm kind of upset about, he was durable, and we only saved 5 million by cutting him.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I know for many of you, the last few months have been super awesome...

For me, today was a nail in the coffin of a very sad and painful year. My team moved away, two of my all time favorite players have been cut, I hate our owner, I hate the way that many ROD members acted towards upset Missourians, I hate the NFLs leadership by Goodell and Kroenkes lapdog Grubman....

I'm glad everyone is so happy about the "good business decisions"....
Personally, I could give a shit less about the business.
The NFL isnt a sport, its entertainment. If all I cared about was winning to validate my fandom or smart business decisions, I'd be a Patriots fan and a pharmaceutical rep....

Fuck this offseason.

kmramsfan

Old School Ram Fan
Name
Keith

My emotions say maybe JL and CL come back at a friendly deal. I was afraid this was going to happen to them. But it's time to go young and retain Tru, Barron, JJ, McCleod and Hayes, in that order. I sense this move is part of a bigger plan for the off season roster moves. Lets retain as much of our own talent as we can, just say no to big $$ FA's, and get the BPA each round.
Or maybe a huge draft day trade is part of the thinking .........:shocked::boxing:

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Apart from having a JL55 jersey, I'm not upset at all about these moves. Good teams do this all the time, and I think all three of these moves were smart.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I would think but could be wrong here but Rodger Saffold is most likely still under the doctor's rehab schedule & nowhere close to 100%. Saffold is still trying to lift those 2 1/2 pound dumbbells more than twice a set.
Saffold has already missed at least 3 or 4 games in 2016

RamBill

Legend
Nick Wagoner ‏@nwagoner

One reason #Rams made moves today? They have voluntary informational meeting for player about/in LA set for early March.

They didn't want players who weren't going to be on the roster to travel to a meeting and look for places in LA area.

RamBill

Legend
Rams cleared cap space in order to keep their own
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...clearing-cap-space-in-order-to-keep-their-own

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- For the Los Angeles Rams to keep many of their key pieces, they had to let three go.

Ultimately, that's what Friday's release of veteran leaders Chris Long, James Laurinaitis and Jared Cook boiled down to. It wasn't easy to say goodbye to the locker room staples, especially Long and Laurinaitis. That much was evident in coach Jeff Fisher's lengthy statement about the moves. It also wasn't a surprise.

Simply put, Long, Laurinaitis and Cook made too much money relative to their production, and the Rams have younger, ascending players that they can't afford to lose.

Such is the cycle in the NFL. It wasn't so long ago that Long and Laurinaitis were those young, ascending players the Rams signed to lucrative long-term contracts. Long signed a four-year extension worth $48.2 million and Laurinaitis inked a five-year, $41.5 million deal just before the 2012 season. In the time since, Long and Laurinaitis became the team's longest-tenured players. They won over teammates and coaches with their leadership skills and professional approach, and fans with their personalities.

"I'm just disappointed we didn't accomplish more," Laurinaitis said. "I thought we'd be a playoff contending team by now, especially since [Fisher] came over. I really thought after that first year, I thought that next year might be it. I was really hoping on getting over that hump and being able to be a part of the turnaround. That's probably the most disappointing thing.

"I love that group of guys that's in the locker room. I'm going to miss those guys. Knowing that Chris got released today as well and there's [only a few] guys that were there before Fish now, so I'm going to miss the guys in the locker room. I had relationships with a bunch of them and friendships. It's just really one of those moments where you're like, 'Man, it's going to stink not playing with those guys again.' "

Ultimately, the big picture always will take center stage, and that's exactly what happened.

In parting with Long, Laurinaitis and Cook, the Rams saved about $24 million in salary cap space, according to ESPN Stats & Information. Although the final cap number isn't set yet, the Rams figure to have approximately $60 million in cap room available this offseason.

While that probably will lead to a big spending spree, it will be focused on players the team already has in house. Namely, cornerbacks Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson as well as safety Rodney McLeod and safety/linebacker Mark Barron. The Rams have invested four years in the first three and found a fit for Barron when he filled in for an injured Alec Ogletree for most of the 2015 season.

The Rams would like to retain all four of those players, and though they already had their share of money to spend, they now have enough flexibility to make deals with all of them without having to wonder where they'd fit under the cap. Of course, that doesn't mean such deals are imminent. Yes, the Rams are well-positioned to strike a deal with that secondary quartet, but it would be unusual for players to re-sign this close to the start of free agency.

That doesn't mean the Rams won't try. Next week's scouting combine will yield meetings with the representatives for all four of those players and talks probably will gain more traction then. Those talks could lead to deals early in the "legal tampering" window, which starts on March 7. Being only a couple of weeks from the new league year, it probably would take an offer too good to pass up to keep a player from at least exploring what the market could bring.

The additional cap space also should give the Rams a chance to lock up other important pieces such as ends William Hayes and Eugene Sims. It also could mean progress can be made on a long-term deal for defensive tackle Michael Brockers, who is under team control for 2016 but still could be in line for an extension.

As for replacing the trio of Long, Cook and Laurinaitis, the Rams believe they have in-house options in place. One likely scenario would see Ogletree moving to middle linebacker with Barron taking over at weak side linebacker should he re-sign. Hayes also could step into the starting role he filled for Long, again assuming the team is able to retain him. And while the Rams signed Lance Kendricks to a long-term contract last offseason, they will be in the market for another tight end this offseason.

Long, Cook and Laurinaitis, meanwhile, can begin seeking other opportunities, perhaps even one that will result in a chance to win a championship. Days like Friday aren't much fun for players, teams or fans. But as the NFL constantly reminds us, they're always going to be necessary.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Wow, a move to L.A......more franchise value, more attractive destination for free agents.....cutting older vets, saving a truckload of money, possibly signing their own free agents they don't want to lose, more than likely signing key free agents from outside the organization.....if I didn't know better, as always looking for that 'other shoe'..... I'd think the Rams are making solid decisions that may put them in the upper echelon of the NFL.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8383/alec-ogletree
The Rams are expected to move Alec Ogletree to middle linebacker.
The Rams plan to re-sign Mark Barron to play the weak side. Moving Ogletree inside should improve a run defense that ranked in the bottom half of the league. Ogletree averaged 10-plus tackles per game before going down last year.

I agree with this. I'd make the same call.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Well that sucks seeing CL and JL leave. I hope they get picked up by other teams. I'd love to see CL in a Raider uniform.

If CL and JL need to be cut then dang-it cut Saffold too!!!!! He played 5 whole games then got hurt again, surprise! A waste of cap money.

The Rams better use this money wisely. The Rams need OL and a QB and now a MLB.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Wow, a move to L.A......more franchise value, more attractive destination for free agents.....cutting older vets, saving a truckload of money, possibly signing their own free agents they don't want to lose, more than likely signing key free agents from outside the organization.....if I didn't know better, as always looking for that 'other shoe'..... I'd think the Rams are making solid decisions that may put them in the upper echelon of the NFL.
Or they were sandbagging the past few years.
(not even sure if I should use blue font there)

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
These were unfortunate but necessary moves if we're going to take that next step up.I wouldn't mind CL coming back on a cheaper deal I think he has a lot left barring injury.Unfortunately I don't feel the same about JL,we need a stud at MLB and he's not it.Cook played himself out of a job and he's lucky he got that 1st big contract.These moves will help us hold on to our secondary that IMHO has 3 probowl players on it.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy

I agree too. Put two extremely athletic football players next to each other. I have very little doubt that Greg Williams will be able to succeed with these guys.

I will miss JL55 as I have much respect for him. In my opinion I really hope he just retires. He's done well for his career. He's a smart guy - could probably snag a broadcaster job or even going into coaching.

I really hope we find a way to keep the Long and Hayes pairing together. But I realize that may be unrealistic. (In some ways I see Jeff Fisher just glowing about the new made money and signing someone like Mario Williams - personally I wouldn't sign him due to age and price, but I can see Jeff wanting to bring him in

RamBill

Legend
Jim Thomas ‏@jthom1
Cutting Long, Laurinaitis leaves 4 players under contract who preceded Fisher arrival in '12: G Saffold, DE Quinn, TE Kendricks, LS McQuaide

Heard earlier this offseason that team might place transition tag on CB Trumaine Johnson if unable to get long-term deal.

I think the Rams feel like they have a real good chance of re-signing Barron to play OLB and Hayes to start at LDE (Long's old spot).

While many NFL players are hanging out at beach this time of year, Laurinaitis was working out at Rams Park Fri, when called upstairs,

"I didn't see this one coming," now ex-Rams LB James Laurinaitis told me earlier tonight.

TexasRam

Legend
Had to be done.

But what a complete man up of Chris Long. Listen up Sports athletes, that is how you go out with Dignity.

Long could have went on and on about the lack of recognition he got when leading the lead in Qb pressures.

But he went out a man and a warrior.