Rams release chris long jared cook and jl55

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
This news is going to take some time to digest. I can handle the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. JL and CL not being in horns for any reason other than retirement? Yep. Gonna take some time. Think before you post. Right? Well Fuck that. Feels like a death in the family. Time will heal. I was a proud fan in 99. I was a proud fan 1-15. Not proud right now.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This news is going to take some time to digest. I can handle the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. JL and CL not being in horns for any reason other than retirement? Yep. Gonna take some time. Think before you post. Right? Well freak that. Feels like a death in the family. Time will heal. I was a proud fan in 99. I was a proud fan 1-15. Not proud right now.

Exactly how I am feeling....

It's brutal.

RamBill

Legend
John Clayton says that the media was more shocked by the release of Cook than Long and Laurinaitis. He talks about the Rams cuts of the 3 veterans with Randy Karraker and D’Marco Farr. They speculate on where the players might end up. Laurinaitis could end up back with Spags with the Giants.

Listen to Clayton Talk Rams Cuts

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...hearing-from-contenders-may-not-sign-quickly/

Report: Chris Long hearing from contenders, may not sign quickly
Posted by Josh Alper on February 22, 2016

491340704-e1456154694748.jpg
Getty Images

The Rams cut three veterans on Friday as they began remaking their roster for the 2016 season, including defensive end Chris Long.

The second overall pick of the 2008 draft has been limited to 18 games over the last two seasons because of injuries and has seen his production drop when he has been able to be on the field, which led him to make a blunt and accurate statement of his lack of success in a “production business.” Picking up just four sacks in the last two years doesn’t appear to be chilling interest in his services around the league, however.

Peter King of TheMMQB.com reports that Long has already started hearing from contending teams and he expects Long will be “pursued aggressively” by those clubs in the near future. King adds that Long may not be picking a team quickly, however, because his wife is due to give birth to the couple’s first child in the next few weeks.

If that’s the case, Long won’t be able to take full advantage on his head start hitting the open market and teams will have less money to spend if the delay stretches too far into the new league year. It could help him find a better fit as he tries to bounce back from two years that, by his own assessment, “have been s—.”
-----------
I would love to see him add about 15 lbs., and play 3-4DE for the Bears. If I remember correctly, he was around 280-285 in college, playing in a 3-4 under Al Groh.

They don’t need him to get 12 sacks, but he can play the run, and beat 1 on 1 matchups when he gets them to keep the QB from stepping up in the pocket. Justin Smith made a conversion to a 3-4 after 5 years in Cincy, and was about the same size as Long is now. (6’4, 275).

The Bears need bodies on the DL. Mitch Umrein was playing significant minutes towards the end of the year. That is not a good thing for your defense.
----------
Besides, it’s just his agent drumming up business before they all go to the combine all the GMs and agents get together. He will be on a team before the draft.
----------
I’m sure he is waiting for a huge deal from Buffalo

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
I think, with all the cap space we just opened-up, it pretty obvious the Rams are planning on being really active this off-Season in the FA market, the Draft, and in making post-Draft moves!
We now need, in no special order, a QB, #1 WR, MLB, OC, OG and above all we need to re-sign " ALL " of our FA's!! JMO

if we resign our fa imho I see only 2 holes to fill qb and wr. could be we use cap space to sign fa wr then use draft picks to move up for qb

RamBill

Legend
James Laurinaitis discusses his surprising release from the Rams, the reasoning behind the decision and why he’s excited to be a free agent for the first time. He talks with Mike Florio.

Watch Laurinaitis Interview

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
John Clayton says that the media was more shocked by the release of Cook than Long and Laurinaitis. He talks about the Rams cuts of the 3 veterans with Randy Karraker and D’Marco Farr. They speculate on where the players might end up. Laurinaitis could end up back with Spags with the Giants.

Listen to Clayton Talk Rams Cuts
John Clayton says that "The media was more shocked by the release of Cook than Long and Laurinaitis."
Farr "They must not have TV's."
:rolllaugh:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'd bank on seeing a Mario Williams or JPP in horns, certainly all those DBs, hopefully Alshon if he's available or Marvin Jones if not.

Mario Williams would not surprise me in the least. I think he's potentially one of the best FA signings this offseason if he is picked up by a good defensive staff because they'll be buying low on a very good player.

RamBill

Legend
ESPN NFL Nation Rams reporter Nick Wagoner delves into the release of James Laurinaitis, Chris Long and Jared Cook, why each of the three were released by the team as well as what the Rams are going to do at the QB position. He appears on ESPN Radio.

Listen to Wagoner Interview

RamBill

Legend
Chris Long: I’m excited for a new opportunity

DE Chris Long joins Russillo and Kanell to discuss how it felt to be cut by the Rams and what he wants to do now moving forward. (2:18)

Watch Long Interview

RamBill

Legend
Chris Long: No Hard Feelings About Being Cut

Free agent DE Chris Long dishes on his reaction to being cut by the Rams, how he found out about his release, his future and players’ sentiments about Rob Gronkowski.

Listen to Long Interview

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
if we resign our fa imho I see only 2 holes to fill qb and wr. could be we use cap space to sign fa wr then use draft picks to move up for qb
We could also sign a WR and QB during FA and have a "Wide open Draft"! :D

RamBill

Legend
A Warm St. Louis “Thank You” to Chris Long and James Laurinaitis

Posted by: Bernie Miklasz in Bernie Miklasz, National Football League February 22, 2016

http://www.101sports.com/2016/02/22/warm-st-louis-thank-chris-long-james-laurinaitis/

The Los Angeles Rams severed more ties with the St. Louis Rams on Friday by releasing defensive end Chris Long and middle linebacker James Laurinaitis. They tried everything they could, in vain, to help transform the STL Rams into a winner. Talk about giving up your athletic prime for a lost cause …

If you’re one of the people that whines about St. Louis media talking or writing about the LA Rams — the franchise moved so forget about it! — here’s my response: Long and Laurinaitis didn’t play a single down for the Los Angeles Rams.

And they don’t own the team. Which means, well, you know, they aren’t Stan Kroenke and they didn’t move the team. And they had nothing to do with the blatant corruption of the NFL relocation process.

But Long and JL were members of the St. Louis sports community for a long time, combining to play 15 seasons and 226 regular-season games here.

I wasn’t going to allow their termination by the westward-ho Rams to go by without comment.

Long and JL not only gave the best years of their careers to the St. Louis Rams, but they made a true effort to connect to the St. Louis community with their investment of time and money in worthy causes.

Stand-up guys in every way.

Long was the No. 2 overall pick in the 2008 NFL draft. Laurinaitis was drafted into St. Louis in 2009, chosen by the Rams in the second round, 35th overall. Long averaged 10.3 sacks over four seasons (2010-2013) but faded because of injuries. Laurinaitis finished his Rams career as the leading tackler in franchise history and never missed a game, starting 112 consecutive contests. (During the Rams’ 21 seasons in St. Louis only Isaac Bruce, Orlando Pace, Torry Holt, and Steven Jackson started more games than the indefatigable JL.) But Laurinaitis slowed noticeably in 2015, and Pro Football Focus rated him No. 83 among 97 linebackers that played a qualifying number of snaps.

I certainly can understand why the Rams made the decision to clear salary-cap space by cutting Laurinaitis, Long and tight end Jared Cook. The three moves saved the Rams just under $24 million cap dollars. And while team was in good shape with the salary cap going into 2017 — with $37 million available for spending before Friday’s three releases — the Rams now have about $65 million to play with on the free-agent market. (That figure includes money unspent by the team in 2015 that’s carried over to the new season.)
chris long-4

Former Rams DE Chris Long leaves the field following the team’s loss to the Bears at the Edward Jones Dome on November 15, 2015.

For the first time in many years the Rams are now flush with salary-cap money, and being part of the first LA-based NFL franchise since 1994 should have significant appeal for NFL free agents. (The timing is all just a coincidence of course. Sure.) In short, the Rams can now attempt to build a winner by buying it. And Long, JL and Cook didn’t fit — not at those prices and not with so many attractive free agents about to hit the market.

Long played eight seasons without being selected to a Pro Bowl. Laurinaitis played seven years here and never was voted to a pro Bowl. In some ways, yes, their STL careers were disappointing on an individual basis.

I think it’s fair to say that the Rams and their fans expected more substantial impact from Long, simply because of his lofty entry status as the No. 2 overall pick in the draft. The expectations were high. And while Laurinaitis was steady, solid and dependable, his cerebral and understated game wasn’t much for generating headlines and acclaim.

But the one thing I won’t do is blame these guys for the Rams’ chronic losing.

That would be stupid.

Between 2008 (Long’s first season) and 2015, the Rams ranked dead last in the NFL in offensive points scored, averaging just over 16 points per game. The Rams defense wasn’t much better in some of those years, but the unit finished in the top half of the league rankings for fewest points allowed in five of the previous six seasons. Under head coach Jeff Fisher the STL Rams generally put a play0ff-caliber defense on the field, and Long and JL were a big part the crew. Laurinaitis was the team captain, and Long was a component in one of the NFL’s most disruptive pass rushes.

Long and Laurinaitis were paid very well for their jobs. Overpaid, even. And their bodies paid a price. Laurinaitis never missed a game but played through all sorts of injuries, some of which would have caused other players to beg out of the lineup. And Long absorbed quite a battering. They never complained about the team’s pathetic offense, always stayed positive, and never lost hope of putting together winning seasons and making it to the playoffs.

Long and Lauriniaitis never enjoyed a winning season here.

They never even had the chance to feel somewhat satisfied by the largely symbolic progress of an 8-8 season.

When Long started a game the STL Rams went 29-65-1 … and were 33-80-1 overall when he played in a contest.

In JL’s 112 starts, the STL Rams went 37-74-1.

But I can’t stress this enough: between 2008 and 2015 the Rams managed to put up the league-average points total (around 22 points) in only 28 percent of their games. And a dragging offense often put the Rams’ defense in terrible field position. Not only that, but the Rams defense was often drained by being on the field so much.

But I respected Long and Laurinaitis because they remained faithful to the cause, never allowed themselves to become demoralized or bitter, and always played hard. To quote the Bruce Springsteen song: no retreat, no surrender.

I just wanted to thank Chris Long and James Laurinaitis for being fixtures on the St. Louis sports scene for so many years. They’re two good dudes that gave their best for a largely futile endeavor, wasting their prime years for a franchise that was poorly run and abysmally coached. And even though their release undeniably made sense from a salary-cap standpoint, in the end Long and Laurinaitis were abandoned on the Rams’ way out of town … same as the St. Louis fans. Given the relentless frustration of their years here, it was an oddly appropriate ending for Long and Laurinaitis.

Thanks for reading …

–Bernie