Rams’ offensive line problem isn’t as bad as it looks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think I'm thinking outside the box a bit but I would not be surprised if the Rams took a wideout at 52. As a cooks replacement. If they trade cooks post June it shows they save about 12 million cap space. Regardless if they trade him they have Reynolds and the rook. The rook gets some valuable playing time with Reynolds who would help hold it down probably play for his next contract elsewhere ......and next year if it worked out and the dude we pick is good which in this draft is quite possible the rec. core remains intact maybe better if the dude we draft is fast and big.
Snead said (paraphrasing here) that WR would be among BPA options throughout this draft pretty much, and I agree with that sentiment and I wouldn't rule it out at any position.

For 52 the question is whether that "non-need" BPA prospect that might be there is high enough on the Rams' board to where they say fuck it and take the guy. Or by extension whether the "need" BPA possibility is actually there where they're drafting, and if not is a move down offer available.

So trying to predict this pick is madness tbh. Better to just discuss the guys who fit so we all have a good feel for them if/when they're the pick.

Ram65

Legend
It’s true that all the kids will probably be better with a year in the program under their belts but I’ve read stuff about how the line came together near the end. Is that really the way it was? Seemed like against the tougher defenses like the niners it was all smoke and mirrors, there was nowhere to run and no time to throw. That’s when McVay started the boots and rollouts, using Higbee in the middle, but if your qb can’t run( like Goff) aren’t you handcuffing your offense? If you’re rolling out you cut down on your receiving options, unless you’re Mahomes. The Rams were getting throttled and were in the niner game cuz McVay used every trick he could come up with, and then there’s Baltimore, same story can’t run or throw.
I don’t think we can just put any old FA back there at rb, I think we need a little more size. The run game has to be there, Whit is slipping and these young guys are still learning pass pro. This offense needs a quality run game.

Having Goff rollout against the Whiners is a good idea. It wasn't something new though. McVay has been moving Goff's launch point for a while now. A lot of the good plays to Higbee were on rollout throwing back against the grain. A lot of rollouts give the allusion of run one way and Goff rolls the opposite way. It would be great if Goff could sit back like Brady and have all day long to throw in every game. He has gotten time in many games even though teams know the Rams will throw a lot and use longer routes. Goff is not slow and can run better than some give him credit for. He is just as fast as Wentz.

It would have been great to add a new player to the offensive line. Unfortunately in too many games, the Rams defense let them down. The Rams had to improve the run defense as well as the run offense. They made choices to resigned the Whitworth and Blythe. It would have been nice to add a new offensive lineman. They can still draft one. I wouldn't underestimate Henderson and I'm sure the Rams have another RB target or two in the draft.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It would be great if Goff could sit back like Brady and have all day long to throw in every game.
Yep it sure would. He had time to throw and a good run game balance in 2018 and it resulted in our first Super Bowl in 17 years. So here's hoping we can get back to good OL play.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
I think the bpa draft approach is a little over rated because I don't think there are very many times that when your pick comes up there is only one player rated highest. early in the draft I think most times when your pick comes up you have 3,4 or maybe 5 guys rated the same so if 1 fills a position of real need you take him. it is my opinion that we don't even do that. if at our draft position we have 4 or 5 players rated the same we trade down and we keep trading down until there are only 1 or 2 of those higher rated players left. this to me is how we wound up with rapp last year. every once in a while if a player that we rate really high drops we may trade up to get him might be where Henderson came from. any way I guess I believe in the bpa at a place of need.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams have 3 to 4 healthy RT post prospects & 1 healthy LT & NO healthy reserve LT prospects.

Agree with this, but I still wonder if Edwards would make a better LT than guard? This kid was a very good athlete until he grew too big. I still think he has the highest ceiling out of the three youngsters.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For 52 the question is whether that "non-need" BPA prospect that might be there is high enough on the Rams' board to where they say fuck it and take the guy. Or by extension whether the "need" BPA possibility is actually there where they're drafting, and if not is a move down offer available.

This^... it all depends on the offer they get at #52. If Snead can drop back and pick up an extra pick, I think he would jump on it.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Snead said (paraphrasing here) that WR would be among BPA options throughout this draft pretty much, and I agree with that sentiment and I wouldn't rule it out at any position.

So trying to predict this pick is madness tbh. Better to just discuss the guys who fit so we all have a good feel for them if/when they're the pick.

We all remember his first year with Brian Quick. Then you look at what The Rams have since Kromer & Mcvay upfront vs Greg Robinson.
—I liked the Big Rob,J.Brown, & that long hair dude ? Sometimes Les has been hit & miss.
-example Edwards & Evans. Going back in to get Edwards.Needing help upfront after letting Sullivan go & Saffold.
—Noteboom & Allen because of such a
need.Kromer not taking a lineman his first draft.

-Point being The Rams will come away with a RB & a pass rusher. Snead will work the board to make that happen.I can’t see The Rams taking a WR with the first pick. The WR position has so much depth.

I know you already think I’m nuts.I think The Rams need a Safety as well.
Eric Weedle & Blake are gone.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
True. But also, don't look at it as a static entity that was the same for all 16 games. It was most definitely better at the end of the season than at the beginning.

As good as '17 and '18? No. There is still an awful lot of work to get to that level

Better in game 16 than in game 1. Absolutely.

Trending in the right direction? Yes.

Were a lot of valuable reps gained by Evans, Edwards, and Corbett? Yep, and it will at least give us quality depth in the future.

Other than Demby, I don't think there is anyone we have that is a hopeless case that absolutely MUST be replaced. If we can get better guys than the ones we have, go for it.

The run blocking improved with the personnel changes. But it's tough to get a real read on the pass blocking with all of the movement by Goff. And why did McVay feel the need to implement it in the first place? To hide the warts of the Oline maybe?

As far as hopelessness goes I think you can throw Allen in the mix, maybe Noteboom. Neither is good enough at second level blocking and Allen can't pass block either.

The other guys are still a question mark imo. Did they improve? Sure but was it enough to think these guys will be good or will they just be average? Good lines always have at least two very good players in them, often three. I don't see that the Rams even have 1. They've got to start adding a few. If they'd kept Saffold they would at least have one above average guard to very good guard playing next to Whitworth, which elevates Whit's play. Instead Whitworth's job got a little tougher with a guard that played below Saffold's level. The lines work as a unit, as many have stated, but being a unit is not enough. There still has to be a few studs in the mix. Maybe Evans becomes one. I really think Edwards is too stiff and upright to be a top caliber Guard. Corbett couldn't crack Cleveland's starting Oline. Blythe displayed his shortcomings in the Superbowl. He may be the best Center they have right now, but that doesn't mean he is actually good.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think the bpa draft approach is a little over rated because I don't think there are very many times that when your pick comes up there is only one player rated highest. early in the draft I think most times when your pick comes up you have 3,4 or maybe 5 guys rated the same so if 1 fills a position of real need you take him. it is my opinion that we don't even do that. if at our draft position we have 4 or 5 players rated the same we trade down and we keep trading down until there are only 1 or 2 of those higher rated players left. this to me is how we wound up with rapp last year. every once in a while if a player that we rate really high drops we may trade up to get him might be where Henderson came from. any way I guess I believe in the bpa at a place of need.

BPA is mostly a fan theory. Teams rate players in tiers. They group them together and when their turn to pick comes up they hope to have one or more of their highest rated group to choose from. That way they can pick who they feel is the Best Player Available at a position of need.

If the guys they hoped would be available aren't , then the team will try to trade back.. If they can't find a deal that they like, then they go BPA at that point. Another instance of BPA would be if a player that they had rated much higher than their draft position were to fall to them. If they think the player is much better than anyone remaining on their draft board of better than they ever thought they could land.can

Snead came from the Falcon's. Dimitroff is one of the more need drafting GM's in the league. Snead learned from him.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
As far as hopelessness goes I think you can throw Allen in the mix, maybe Noteboom. Neither is good enough at second level blocking and Allen can't pass block either.

I'm not going to throw either of those two in just yet. Noteboom didn't even finish 5 full games before he went down, and he was playing out of position. He's just not built to be a guard. I am worried about his injury though, as it was pretty damn bad. That's one thing that would put him into the hopeless column.

Allen certainly struggled, and I think he's probably going to start the year on the pine, but I'll give him another training camp at least before I throw in the towel. Players can and do improve. Nothing is guaranteed either way, but let's at least see what he does next preseason before we render a verdict.

The other guys are still a question mark imo. Did they improve? Sure but was it enough to think these guys will be good or will they just be average? Good lines always have at least two very good players in them, often three. I don't see that the Rams even have 1. They've got to start adding a few.

We can only project at this point. I'm certainly not against the Rams trying to improve the group through personnel acquisitions, through the draft, UDFAs, or any other FA that shakes loose from a team. Or even trades for that matter. On the other hand, we had two guys in Evans and Edwards who looked hopeless in the preseason and then got thrown into action far earlier than planned. Rather than continuing to look hopeless, they made strides and were definitely better players by the end of the season. They gained a shit ton of valuable reps and now have an offseason to digest it and go into training camp with some valuable experience.

Hey, Jackie Slater didn't even start until his 4th season. He turned out ok by my reckoning.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
This^... it all depends on the offer they get at #52. If Snead can drop back and pick up an extra pick, I think he would jump on it.
Hmmm.... seems to me we have depth at a number of positions now. What we need are playmakers in no particular order at ER, MLB, OL and/or RB. I would like to see us keep #52 and use it on an impact player at one of these positions. Don't want us to trade out of the second round and doubt that we would get much for dropping within it. Imo another lower round pick doesn't help as much this year as a BPA at 52.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
LA Rams' offensive line counting on boost from continuity
By GREG BEACHAM/AP Sports Writer

If NFL teams are unable to hold offseason workouts amid the coronavirus pandemic, Andrew Whitworth and Austin Blythe believe continuity will be a valuable commodity this fall.That's an area where the Los Angeles Rams' offensive line should be much stronger this season.

Whitworth and Blythe are both returning to their starting jobs on the line after re-signing with the Rams as free agents. Whitworth has been Los Angeles' starting left tackle for each of coach Sean McVay's three seasons, while Blythe has started at all three interior spots on the line over the past two years.

Injuries and turnover were key factors in the offensive line's less-than-stellar performance last season, but all five starters are returning this year. They expect to be tougher and more dependable and after spending much of last season frantically filling injury holes. “I look forward to us having a fantastic rebound,” Whitworth said Thursday.

After the Rams' offensive line had remarkable durability and consistency during McVay's first two seasons, it went through upheaval last year. Second-year pros Brian Allen and Joseph Noteboom took over starting roles with little NFL experience, and both incurred season-ending injuries that forced more shuffles.

“Other guys had to step up and play, so having that experience is going to help us a lot coming into training camp,” Blythe said. “I think it will let us hit the ground running, even at the end of OTAs if we’re getting to go out there and do some football stuff. But if it happens to be training camp before we get on the field, that’s going to serve us really well.”

When the Rams hosted the Bears last November, they had four starters playing new positions on the offensive line, including Blythe moving to center from right guard. Aside from Whitworth and Blythe, the Rams' other three starters against Chicago - Bobby Evans, David Edwards and Austin Corbett - had barely played in the NFL.

“A lot of these guys unfortunately didn’t to play a lot of football before they got thrust in there to play a lot of football,” Whitworth said. “Considering at one point we had three guys who had never played in an NFL football game starting, that’s a heck of a challenge. I don’t care where you are. I think there’s a lot to build off of. I think we have a lot of young guys that will step up and play well, and they’re going to grow up and mature."

The backups are mostly all back with a year of experience. Allen, Noteboom and right tackle Rob Havenstein also are returning to the Rams' offensive line, which will be blocking for a new running back. Los Angeles released Todd Gurley last month to get out from under his onerous contract extension before it had even kicked in, leaving career backup Malcolm Brown and second-year pro Darrell Henderson as the Rams' top running backs.Whitworth didn't sugarcoat the setback for the Rams' offense, saying Gurley will be missed in the locker room and on the field.

“He’s just somebody who’s infectious with his attitude, and really just his toughness and how much he loves football,” Whitworth said. “Guys just gravitate to him because of that."

Whitworth officially agreed to a three-year deal this week to return for his 15th NFL season, but he isn't thinking about his future beyond the current season. To that end, he built a weight room in his garage in California over the past month to make sure his training doesn't slip while he's unable to go to the Rams' training complex.

Whitworth knows he'll need every advantage to stay on top at 38 years old, and he started planning for this possibility well before North American sports had come to a standstill. Whitworth and his wife parked their cars in the driveway, and their four children helped with the cleanup and sterilization of the garage before he trucked in plenty of weights with help from the Rams.

“I was paying attention enough to realize things would be changing and be different,” Whitworth said. “I really started almost a month ago ordering equipment and stuff that I thought I might need, and now I’ve got a full-fledged weight room at the house. The only problem is she wants to know what in the world we’re going to do with all of it when things go back to normal. So I’ve got to figure that one out, but other than that, we’re good."
Ummm ... find a way keep it? I don’t know how anyone wouldn’t appreciate his sense of humor :)

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

“A lot of these guys unfortunately didn’t get to play a lot of football before they got thrust in there to play a lot of football,” Whitworth said. “Considering at one point we had three guys who had never played in an NFL football game starting, that’s a heck of a challenge. I don’t care where you are. I think there’s a lot to build off of. I think we have a lot of young guys that will step up and play well, and they’re going to grow up and mature."

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well you now see why I think The Rams don’t draft a O”lineman.I go back to 2017 MCSNEAD’s first draft. This even more of a point that Kromer was a part of these Lineman as well.
I look at The Rams drafting playmakers. Mcvay said when he first got here that you could never have enough of those type of players in a team. Playmaker as well being a DE/OLB.
Blythe has been the starting OG so I see Allen being the backup center & Blythe being the backup RG. Just like you always said Roger Saffold was the backup LT, which I never believed. Thankful we never found out. I also don’t think Brian Allen deserved playing time in 2018,but should have had to earn the starting center spot. I actually liked Sullivan better than both,but also thought The Rams needed to sign a OG last year , especially when Saffold left.was on board with Noteboom playing guard as well.He needed preseason reps as well that he did not get. I believe because Mcvay played it scared both players got injured when real bullets were being fired. —Confidence plays apart in the development of players imo.

— I think it was said that the 3 years(2) that Whitworth signed was because of Notebooms health. He should be the LT of the future. I could see him being brought on slowly & signing him to a long term contract without much starting experience.
Bobby Evans or Brewer will more than likely be the backup LT until then. I think they were in 2019 as well ??
Ref. McVay's desire for playmakers....McVay had them all over the roster last season on his offense except the OL. I would hope that he fully knows that without a smooth functioning OL all those high paid playmakers (Gurley/ Goff/ Cooks/ Higbee/ Woods) do nothing & was a waste of salary cap $$$. Same can be said for the recent highly valued draft selections investments assets like Kupp & Everett....the result was the same as with the high cost playmakers.

Your thoughts being the Rams will likely pass on an OL'er has some merit. Your position would not be in a majority here @ ROD as you know. I have a slightly more positive outlook on the Rams current OL than most. You are more positive than I am.

IMO this Ram OL as a whole, has big serious questions involving every OL'er under contract including Whitworth. Whitworth is the only OL'er that I can say positively will start @ his 2019 assigned post. Late 2019 seasons starting OL'ers Evans/ Edwards/ Corbett & Blythe may all be playing a different posts elsewhere or riding the bench. So much remains unsettled & uncertain.

A few examples ...... Three former starting OL'ers are coming off major injuries & surgeries with one most likely being PUD'd for the first quarter of the regular season. Three will be entering their first training camp with the Rams. Two OL'ers (Havenstein & Demby) playing performances were in total fail mode resulting in benching. Neither suited up for the last 7 games. Two have never played in a regular season NFL game. I could go on & on with this......bottom line only one starting post is settled. I would also say there is a good chance the late season 39 yr old LT will not be the player he was in 2019 to the point where improvement is needed by another OL'er. The other four starting OL posts will be involved in big battles to see who will earn the title starter.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Agree with this, but I still wonder if Edwards would make a better LT than guard? This kid was a very good athlete until he grew too big. I still think he has the highest ceiling out of the three youngsters.
No I do not think David Edwards would be productive starting @ LT. I do agree with the rest of your comments.

We just never know.....sure makes TC & preseason exciting for me to find out a few more elements of these many OL unknowns.

It's my position that David Edwards has the talent to play three OL posts in the NFL. RT/ RG/ LG. Other ROD members feel differently. DE has good RT size in length & wing span being over 6-6/310. I have the feeling if DE was to be selected to battle for the RT post with Rob Havenstein & Bobby Evans, DE would beat both of them out. Mentioning Evans....If Evans tightens his game up & gets his pass blocking sharpened up... Snead will trade Havenstein before the2020 trade deadline. Evans will be our starting RT in 2020.

It appeared DE best 2019 start came when he was @ LG. Problem there @ LG is Austin Corbett sure looks like a premium ideal starting prospect @ LG. I see no reason to jerk/yank Corbett out of what may be his best starting situation just to insert DE in there. Once Corbett gets a full Ram TC & preseason @ LG his production is sure to increase.

I certainly do not see Austin Blythe Or Brian Allen being able to dislodge DE out of his final 2019 landing starting post @ RG. IMO the only real solid looking RG prospect other than DE would be 2nd yr OL'er Chandler Brewer. I feel that Brewer will end up wining the swing OG OL position when the preseason is completed. Another noteworthy RG prospect would be Jeremiah Kolone who will enter his 3rd TC & preseason with the Rams/Kromer.

Last edited:

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My two cents says draft O line early and often in this draft. When Goff has adequate time he's in the Pro Bowl(not saying he's the top QB just way better). When Goff has time the Offense clicks. Play action, routes, time of possession and points are a wonderful thing! The added bonus is a few more sustained drives keeps the defense off the field. When AD has a fresh tank look out Sack record.

I know there are needs. The protection and up right position of their QB should be the team's first need IMO.

Personally, unless it's the top rated C in the draft I'd hope for an LT or best OL available with the 52nd pick. That or Snead gets Riverboat Ron to trade Trent Williams for Shiny Speedster Brandin Cooks. Dreamers can dream! Right???

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Ref. McVay's desire for playmakers....McVay had them all over the roster last season on his offense except the OL. I would hope that he fully knows that without a smooth functioning OL all those high paid playmakers (Gurley/ Goff/ Cooks/ Higbee/ Woods) do nothing & was a waste of salary cap $$$. Same can be said for the recent highly valued draft selections investments assets like Kupp & Everett....the result was the same as with the high cost playmakers.

Your thoughts being the Rams will likely pass on an OL'er has some merit. Your position would not be in a majority here @ ROD as you know. I have a slightly more positive outlook on the Rams current OL than most. You are more positive than I am.

IMO this Ram OL as a whole, has big serious questions involving every OL'er under contract including Whitworth. Whitworth is the only OL'er that I can say positively will start @ his 2019 assigned post. Late 2019 seasons starting OL'ers Evans/ Edwards/ Corbett & Blythe may all be playing a different posts elsewhere or riding the bench. So much remains unsettled & uncertain.

A few examples ...... Three former starting OL'ers are coming off major injuries & surgeries with one most likely being PUD'd for the first quarter of the regular season. Three will be entering their first training camp with the Rams. Two OL'ers (Havenstein & Demby) playing performances were in total fail mode resulting in benching. Neither suited up for the last 7 games. Two have never played in a regular season NFL game. I could go on & on with this......bottom line only one starting post is settled. I would also say there is a good chance the late season 39 yr old LT will not be the player he was in 2019 to the point where improvement is needed by another OL'er. The other four starting OL posts will be involved in big battles to see who will earn the title starter.

True - I’ll chill.

My point is growth with offensive lineman. I also believe youth SUCKS
in OL. Look back at even Whitworths career. It takes awhile for experience(technique)plus filling out. I’ll continue to state that

Evans would have been a possible 1st rd pick coming out of Oklahoma 2020. He had cameout his Jr yr.

Edwards in his sophomore season was rated as a 1 or 2nd rd pick 2019. His injury changed that.He should get a lot stronger this offseason. He had never played OG at all. He is only 22 as well & would have been a higher draft pick than that BADGERS BADASS center
seems a lot of like posters want.
I’d rather have the MLB from that squad. Personally I’d trade up for Johnathan Taylor & think it wAsn’t Badass that made him. I also think Gurley fell off so much 2018 & CJ Anderson made the difference ofnThe Rams going to the SuperBowl. He isn’t even playing anymore ???

Point about PLAYMAKERS is Defense. Aaron Donald & RAMsey . I think D. Williams is going to be a playmaker. This kid has such good hands, I can see him being a top 10 Int guy ? I believe he takes over for Nick Coleman Robey??? Now that is a crazy prediction. — Truth is that playmaker will be a edge rusher/ LB ?? Queen is a guy I want to slip.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
What would have been flv's betting odds on the outcome of having to start two rookie NFL OL'ers (Evans/ Edwards) next to each other for the final seven games last season in an offensive OL that had 4/5ths of its entirety being different from when the season started?

Who would have thought that the description of the above state of affairs in the end would be anything different than a crumbling degenerated occurrence.

I do agree with you that all three of these new Ram starting OL'ers will have learned greatly from last season OL collapse.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

I agree Evans fall off, he was playing hurt his. Brewer came in for him & The Rams didn’t want to risk Big Rob. He was still doing his RICE thing. He should be a lot stronger from it imo.Building up the core vs surgery.

Noteboom is a big question mark.

Cross training is huge, but I also think Demby & Colone bring something to training camp. I believe in experience vs rookies upfront.
In camp Evans & Edwards looked lost. In season they looked a lot better.

Have Kromer focused on the line more than as a OC should benefit these group. Making changes during the season with all the injuries is tough.

I guess I’m totally OFF my Rocker ?? I believe The Rams have more depth upfront than I have SEEN for years.