Rams’ offensive line problem isn’t as bad as it looks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think I’ve landed here on the offensive line...

Draft didn’t present a ton of upgrade options.

The offseason looks like a tough one to “groom picks” for 2020. Later selected offensive lineman for sure.

Linemen need to grow and gel. One thing we saw last year... stretches of good play. That tells me growth is likely.

We have a LOT of quality depth along the line. The starters... okay... we need to sort that... but the player collection isn’t bad.

The Rams have a strategy. They’ve earned my trust to see it play out. I think I see it now.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Les Snead Confident Pieces Are In Place Along Offensive Line

1588125130385.png

It is no secret that the offensive line was hardly an area of strength for the Los Angeles Rams in the 2019 NFL season.

The Rams were able to avoid any significant turnover by re-signing left tackle Andrew Whitworth and center/guard Austin Blythe in free agency. Regardless, many expected head coach Sean McVay and general manager Les Snead to potentially explore shoring up some quality depth up front through the 2020 NFL Draft.

However, that was hardly the case after they used only one selection to take Clemson guard Tremayne Anchrum with the 250th pick in the seventh round. Their approach seems to be indicative of the confidence they have in the pieces that are available.

“When Sean mentioned yesterday trading for Austin Corbett, it was just a couple of years ago that he was the 33rd pick in the draft,” Snead said. “Even this year, we wouldn’t have been able to pick an Austin Corbett. We’ve been adding those players, and fortunately or unfortunately a lot of them got to play last year, with David Edwards and Bobby Evans in particular. They got a chance to play when we were really going to spend a year developing them as backups. We felt confident that if we continued grooming and developing these players, they’d have a chance to become a very solid offensive line.”

Snead’s comments just go to show the level of confidence both him and McVay have in offensive line coach Aaron Kromer. Of course, it remains to be seen just how much this group is capable of improving with the pieces at his disposal. After all, any chance at a potential resurgence from the offense in the 2020 NFL season will undoubtedly need to begin up front.

As Snead noted, one of the few silver linings that came out of this group sustaining so many injuries was that it allowed several young players a chance at some quality snaps early on. Although being thrown in right away was hardly ideal, the experience should certainly help pay huge dividends for them moving forward.

The question now is which of them have benefitted the most from the uptick in playing time. Aside from Whitworth, there could be some intriguing position battles taking place up front this offseason.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I'm talking about the current stuation. A third and fourth are about what I'm talking about, and Penny is always injured. They're running successfully without him.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Watched a few games using the all 22 on NFL Gamepass. When it comes to the running game, I noticed a few things:

1) OLinemen missing assignments and/or an overall lack of cohesion among the group was an huge issue. Oftentimes, it looked as if these guys weren't on the same page. Whether the team was running outside zone, inside zone, gap, or whatever. Oftentimes, it looked like they hadn't completely mastered one. Is that OLine talent? Coaching? Lack of Experience? It's probably all three, but most seem to want to focus on OLine talent and disregard the rest.

2) Nobody mentions this, but the TEs and WRs were missing or or had ineffective blocks about often as the OLine.
Not a fan of using those tight WR sets so often. These WRs are far better blocking in space down the field than in those tight formations.

3) Gurley was big, powerful, and fast. But, he wasn't the quickest back and didn't make too many defenders miss. Yes, there were many plays where he didn't stand a chance. But, he missed his fair share of opportunities, too. Just an overall lack of cohesion in the running game.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
When you have 'three players', who are pro-bowlers, and playing at a high level = your OL is likely great

I think the OL will surprise, but doubt we can return to that level

The way to do so, once we have the cap space, will probably be through free agency

We have to be realistic, but all things considered (including health, experience, and competition) I expect the OL to play much better this year

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I think the OL will surprise, but doubt we can return to that level

We have to be realistic, but all things considered (including health, experience, and competition) I expect the OL to play much better this year

Reality? I agree. I doubt the OL can return to "that level" for the start of the 2020 season. Midway? That's a far more realistic expectation. It sure is going to be interesting to watch.....and let's face it EVERYBODY will be watching closely, so this will certainly be revisited time and again as the season unfolds.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well, first off the OL has to build cohesion and I'm not sure with the Pandemic if the opportunity is going to exist. With that being posted, that is why I believe most likely Blythe will be the starting Center, he knows the offense really well and when he took over for Allen the line got better...Also I felt Blythe played better in that role, although many others love to point to him as a problem.

I would really love to see Austin Corbett get a shot at Center because I believe Kromer felt back when he was drafted in 2018 that Center would be a good position for him, not sure if he will get that opportunity. Also I'm glad Whit is back, but we cannot count on him long term, the Rams must find a solution and I do believe and hope before years end, Joseph Noteboom will take over at LT a position IMO, he is far more comfortable playing.

As to the others I felt Edwards hit a wall last year, seem to not be as effective towards in the end and committed several penalties as well. Bobby Evans seemed to improve game by game and showcased the ability to move his man, very physical although he got quite a bit of help from Johnny Mundt in pass protection. Austin Corbett as a LG was solid and did not seem to give up many sacks, but all of them needed better push in the run game.

Again I'm not sure how the starters will shake out and I would be shocked if Blythe is not the starting Center and a reserve, but I would be pleased if somehow Noteboom took over at LT and Corbett at Center with Evans at LG, but again, not sure that happens and it could be possible as well that Gerald Everett could be traded for a bonafide Starter, but again, doubtful.

dang

Legend
Curious who you wished they had selected, and where.

I have posted twice that while I like both Akers and Jefferson, I wish the Rams would have taken Ezra Cleveland at 52 or 57 but would not have expected much from him in n 2020.
It’s sounds like McVay was high on Akers. It’s water under the bridge but I wonder if we could have picked Ezra Cleveland at R2.57. Then Lewis at R3.84 and gotten Jefferson (who I am warming up to quickly) at R3.104. Thoughts?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It’s sounds like McVay was high on Akers. It’s water under the bridge but I wonder if we could have picked Ezra Cleveland at R2.57. Then Lewis at R3.84 and gotten Jefferson (who I am warming up to quickly) at R3.104. Thoughts?

Not sure Jefferson lasts until 104....Cushenberry might have been the pick at 84 and went to Denver at 83, but they picked Lewis very quickly, so Lewis might have been the target all along. The key is Joseph Noteboom, who showcased the ability to play very good at LT in 2018, but did not get much push at LG before his injury...If Boom is healthy IMO, LT is the right position for him.

Memphis Ram

Legend

Heard during draft weekend that the Jets were set to take Jefferson just 2-3 spots after the Rams made the selection.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
it could be possible as well that Gerald Everett could be traded for a bonafide Starter, but again, doubtful.

Everett is such an enigma. First reaction to trading him is, 'i'm always on the edge of my seat when he gets the ball' but I realize, last year of contract; hasn't fullfilled the 'promising prospect' when he was drafted; and then I'm okay with it....but I still think, "but man, I'm always on the edge of my seat when he gets the ball, particularly with momentum. Dude is fun to watch. '

Memphis Ram

Legend
Everett is such an enigma. First reaction to trading him is, 'i'm always on the edge of my seat when he gets the ball' but I realize, last year of contract; hasn't fullfilled the 'promising prospect' when he was drafted; and then I'm okay with it....but I still think, "but man, I'm always on the edge of my seat when he gets the ball, particularly with momentum. Dude is fun to watch. '

I never understood why the Rams drafted him only to follow up that selection with Kupp. I may be in the minority on this one, but I really believe that minus Kupp, Everett would be the superstar in the slot position.

Even with the 4th round Hopkins selection, I hope the Rams hold on to him for the season and see how much money Kupp and his agent are talking about prior to free agency.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Les Snead Confident Pieces Are In Place Along Offensive Line

View attachment 35996

It is no secret that the offensive line was hardly an area of strength for the Los Angeles Rams in the 2019 NFL season.

The Rams were able to avoid any significant turnover by re-signing left tackle Andrew Whitworth and center/guard Austin Blythe in free agency. Regardless, many expected head coach Sean McVay and general manager Les Snead to potentially explore shoring up some quality depth up front through the 2020 NFL Draft.

However, that was hardly the case after they used only one selection to take Clemson guard Tremayne Anchrum with the 250th pick in the seventh round. Their approach seems to be indicative of the confidence they have in the pieces that are available.

Snead’s comments just go to show the level of confidence both him and McVay have in offensive line coach Aaron Kromer. Of course, it remains to be seen just how much this group is capable of improving with the pieces at his disposal. After all, any chance at a potential resurgence from the offense in the 2020 NFL season will undoubtedly need to begin up front.

As Snead noted, one of the few silver linings that came out of this group sustaining so many injuries was that it allowed several young players a chance at some quality snaps early on. Although being thrown in right away was hardly ideal, the experience should certainly help pay huge dividends for them moving forward.

The question now is which of them have benefitted the most from the uptick in playing time. Aside from Whitworth, there could be some intriguing position battles taking place up front this offseason.
I totally agree. And Snead is right... where they were picking, they were more than likely not going to get a guy who would have been a definite improvement if at all. And I love the fact that they are doing what they are supposed to be doing...coaching guys they have in vested in already. That's the way it should be. the fact that those young (and new) guys got thrust into service early last year was both a detriment (to their knowledge and abilities at the time) and a blessing at the same time. they seemed to be learning, competing and improving. A lot of our woes on offense were most likely from the fact those guys were not quite ready when put right into the fire. But now they should all have benefited from the time playing and time to really digest their roles in the schemes.

I think we will see a better unit this yr. The only concern that i have is that we must start finding out who Big Whit's successor will be. I think we are pretty good at the OG and RT spots. We have guys who can play there. the C spot will sort itself out. I believe we brought in the C from U. Wash. 2018 class? So we have more competition there than it at first seems. But that LT spot in the not so distant future ... We need to find that out for sure by the next off season.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I never understood why the Rams drafted him only to follow up that selection with Kupp. I may be in the minority on this one, but I really believe that minus Kupp, Everett would be the superstar in the slot position.

Even with the 4th round Hopkins selection, I hope the Rams hold on to him for the season and see how much money Kupp and his agent are talking about prior to free agency.
I doubt Kupp is going anywhere. He is not just a fan fave, but also a guy who McVay truly loves. Also, CK seems to be a very level headed guy. He loves his team and teammates. Unless the Rams try and low ball him, I think he will take a "fair deal". One that is fair to both sides. IMHO, The rams draft showed me a couple things... They plan on making sure that JR and CK remain. they will have the cap to get both done...but guys like JJ-III, Everrett, JRey maybe even Hill ... Probably not so.

Ram65

Legend

Interesting way to look at it. IDK if resigning Kupp is a forgone conclusion. I want to keep Everett this year. It Could be Kupp cost too much or wants too many years etc.. to get a deal done. Having Everett and drafting Jefferson gives the Rams good options.

jap

Legend
Keep in mind that besides the valuable experience gained in 2019, these young guys get to practice against Aaron "The Kraken!" Donald and hold the fort long enough for Jerad to complete passes against Jalen Ramsey & his Merry Bunch of DBs before the Leprechaun turns them loose upon the rest of the NFL.

dang

Legend
Any insight on how serious the Rams were kicking the tires on Trent Williams and how they would have pulled that off with their cap situation?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Keep in mind that besides the valuable experience gained in 2019, these young guys get to practice against Aaron "The Kraken!" Donald and hold the fort long enough for Jerad to complete passes against Jalen Ramsey & his Merry Bunch of DBs before the Leprechaun turns them loose upon the rest of the NFL.
True. This sagacious Ram DL front trio will be a pugnacious & combative assignment for the best NFL OL's. The Rams' #1 interior OL will be a brand-new look in 2020 TC & preseason. No longer will Noteboom & Blythe be the #1 OG's & Allen will have a major battle just for the #2 center spot. This Interior OL should get strengthen/ toughen up by the start of the regular season.

Not so sure that Kromer will be giving veteran well seasoned Whitworth/Havenstein duo as much activity in the early trenches as the younger OT's like top swing OT reserves Evans & Brewer. I would also expect that #1 RG Edwards & Rookie right OL'er Tremayne Anchrum will see some time @ RT post too.

I totally agree. And Snead is right... where they were picking, they were more than likely not going to get a guy who would have been a definite improvement if at all. And I love the fact that they are doing what they are supposed to be doing...coaching guys they have in vested in already. That's the way it should be. the fact that those young (and new) guys got thrust into service early last year was both a detriment (to their knowledge and abilities at the time) and a blessing at the same time. they seemed to be learning, competing and improving. A lot of our woes on offense were most likely from the fact those guys were not quite ready when put right into the fire. But now they should all have benefited from the time playing and time to really digest their roles in the schemes.

I think we will see a better unit this yr. The only concern that i have is that we must start finding out who Big Whit's successor will be. I think we are pretty good at the OG and RT spots. We have guys who can play there. the C spot will sort itself out. I believe we brought in the C from U. Wash. 2018 class? So we have more competition there than it at first seems. But that LT spot in the not so distant future ... We need to find that out for sure by the next off season.
I would bet that 2nd yr OT Evans will have the primary #1 LT responsibilities early in TC. Evans is sure to own the LT post with Brewer also seeing action once again as the #2 LT. I see no changes from this until LT Noteboom sheds his "no contact" jersey colored jersey. Once Joseph Noteboom is up to speed (time still unknown) then this pattern will change significantly.

That Washington OC was Coleman Shelton. I have just a feeling that Kromer really like CS mostly for his interior versatility LG/OC/RG. CS did it all @ Washington. CS is slowly trending upwards in his NFL career path. Having spent his entire 2018 season with the 9ers & Cards on the practice squad then being upgraded to the active 53 roster @ the beginning of the 2019 season. Now with 2 NFL seasons worth of weight training under his belt CS must come into TC with a sizeable increase in upper-body strength if he wants to earn a starting position @ 6-4/300 lbs or beat our last seasons starting center Brian Allen for the #2 OC spot. The Rams back up OC competition should be one of the biggest & hottest battles in TC.