Rams’ offensive line problem isn’t as bad as it looks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Can we all agree that it all hinges on the effectiveness of our play at C?

One of Blythe, Allen, Corbett, or Shelton simply must step up and do the job. If one of these guys does then I like our overall OL.

you are right that the center play is critical but whitworths age and havenstiens return to good play are maybe not as critical but very important.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Just out of curiosity, how many above average to good centers are there in the NFL? Aren't there more simply solid guys manning the pivot around the league?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Why does it have to be one or the other Mojo.
It doesn't. The question/scenario was which is more likely. IMO the B option is much more likely to have throttled our offense last year. Injuries have to be considered in either scenario as well. Allen, Havenstein, Noteboom.

For myself, I find it hard to believe that losing one elite Guard and one experienced but old Center was the primary reason for the huge dropoff last year. Same coaching, same scheme, same QB, same anchor LT. Even with a talent dropoff it shouldn't have been that bad.
I don't see elite OL's around the league losing a key piece or two and disintegrating like we saw from our front last year. It can happen when you lose your LT or RT. Snowball effect.

Im not buying into it being as big a personnel issue as others make it out to be. Stale scheme and injuries. That's my take.

Does anyone really think that all of a sudden we just have bad Olinemen across the board? We lost one blue chip guy after the Super Bowl and went out and grabbed some help. I feel like the Rams would have hard charged the position(s) again in FA and the draft this year if they felt the OL room wasn't good enough.

JMO

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Does anyone really think that all of a sudden we just have bad Olinemen across the board? We lost one blue chip guy after the Super Bowl and went out and grabbed some help. I feel like the Rams would have hard charged the position(s) again in FA and the draft this year if they felt the OL room wasn't good enough.
I subscribe to the belief you need two "plus" guys up front to have a good line. And if one of them isn't your LT then you're still gonna struggle in the passing game.

Question for the Rams is who is the other guy? Whit is still a plus LT, but he's slipping. I'd go with Edwards personally, but it's no given. IMO the Rams rolled the dice on the unit and probably because they had to eat Gurley's & Cooks' contracts.

I don't hate our OL room by any means. I just don't think it's the level of talent you want for a contending offense. But we might get lucky, so I am hopeful.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
As plus players go along the OL, Whit I agree is a slipping plus player. I like Evans as the other plus player; but just need to get him settled into a starting position asap either RT or LG. Edwards isn't far behind tho.
I think if somehow Hav can pass pro for 3.5 secs on the regular we will be in excellent hands. Having Hav regain his starting spot and allowing Evans to pair w/ big Whit would be huge imho

TexasRam

Legend
As plus players go along the OL, Whit I agree is a slipping plus player. I like Evans as the other plus player; but just need to get him settled into a starting position asap either RT or LG. Edwards isn't far behind tho.
I think if somehow Hav can pass pro for 3.5 secs on the regular we will be in excellent hands. Having Hav regain his starting spot and allowing Evans to pair w/ big Whit would be huge imho

Havenstein was rated the best run blocking tackle in 2018. I have faith in the guy. He does need help at times with Elite pass rushers, especially the fast ones. Overall he is a plus tackle to me.

Noteboom I still have faith in. I think he has a chance to be an excellent LT. Just was miscast inside at guard when we had a dire hole created by not resigning Saffold.

Edwards appears to be a solid guard but probably maxed out, while Evans has a lot more development to go, but has more power so might have a higher ceiling. Not sure if he gets there with his bad hand usage.

I am optimistic about Blythe since he was injured apparently. He is an excellent technician and actually played real well in 2018 when Brown went down injured and played so well, he replaced Jamon Brown if you recall. And that was at guard. Blythe doesn't have the power to be a pro bowl guard but he is assignment sound when healthy, if last year injury was really the reason for the falloff.

Corbett - Not sure he will become a plus player for us. I guess we will see.

Notice how good Blythe was in 2018.

Top Rated Guards in the NFL @PFF : LosAngelesRams

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
And if they are not right, the season most likely be disappointing. And now the thread has come full circle.

View attachment 36095
Nice pick den looks like Chandler Brewer is in @ the Andrew Whitworth LT post against Denver.

If Noteboom is more healthy than I believe & he gets the chance to participate in the TC & preseason it would hurt Brewers chances a bit. Both 3rd round selections Evans & Noteboom would stand to get a ton reps in place of the two starting veteran OT's. Brewer would likely be removed from the OT reserve contention he had over the later half of the 2019 season. Brewer, a RG in college then would become more involved with the top reserve swing OG position to compete with Shelton/ Anchrum/ Kolone & even Allen.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Nice pick den looks like Chandler Brewer is in @ the Andrew Whitworth LT post against Denver.

Brewer, a RG in college then would become more involved with the top reserve swing OG position to compete with Shelton/ Anchrum/ Kolone & even Allen.

Well, one thing for sure, I will take Brewer over Demby, that's for sure. I will give Brewer this, he never looked over matched. If he got beat, he still had the ability to push his man away for example. I'm assuming the Rams will only keep 9 OL to start the season....I still believe in Noteboom, but David Edwards tired as the season went on, so let's see if Edwards got stronger in the off season as that could create another opportunity for Brewer.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think we've beaten this O-line discussion to death, but one thing I do not want to see anymore is guards playing tackle and tackles playing guard. Saffold is really the only player who successfully made the switch but, IIRC, Fisher said he had the body of a guard. I don't mind seeing the Rams cross-training guards to play center or visa versa, or having tackles trained to play either side, but I believe the Rams are overdoing it. For example, I believe (and I think we all agree) that Noteboom is a better tackle than guard. And with all the guards we currently have on the roster, hopefully we've seen the last of Boom at guard. I also believe Edwards is a better tackle than guard... but I will leave that one for Kromer to decide. Evans can probably play either position. Again, I will leave that up to Kromer to decide. But once they decide what the best position is for that particular player... leave him alone, or at least just use them in an emergency. JMHO.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Watched a few games using the all 22 on NFL Gamepass. When it comes to the running game, I noticed a few things:

OLinemen missing assignments and/or an overall lack of cohesion among the group was an huge issue.

Oftentimes, it looked as if these guys weren't on the same page. they hadn't completely mastered....
Is that.... Lack of Experience?

most seem to want to focus on OLine talent and disregard the rest.

the TEs and WRs were missing or or had ineffective blocks....

These WRs are far better blocking in space down the field

Just an overall lack of cohesion in the running game.
Yep.
Rookies
One guy playing a new position
Injuries
And yet by the end of the season they were starting to get it together, albeit slowly.

I think a full training camp with these guys training for a specific position on the line *could* really start having it together by midseason.

It is our best and really ONLY chance to have a good offensive line.

There is no magic wand and there is no draft pick that could come in and fix this problem.

And that's where the coaching and consistency can lead to cohesion.

There's no other way really.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yep.
Rookies
One guy playing a new Position
Injuries
And yet by the end of the season they were starting to get it together, albeit slowly.

I think a full training camp with these guys training for a specific position on the line *could* really start having it together by midseason.

It is our best and really ONLY chance to have a good offensive line.

There is no magic wand and there is no draft pick that could come in and fix this problem.

And that's where the coaching and consistency can lead to cohesion.

There's no other way really.

Of course I’ll sound like a broken record. It wasn’t hard to figure out.
I’ll start even more from the beginning.

Kromer was given to much responsibilities. Andy Dickerson is a
solid coach,not sure what Zak was doing as far as the O”Line goes.Years past he was organizing for the drills. He took Demby away for personal fundamentals.

The last 3 seasons the Rams depth has not been there. For ANY RAMS fan didn’t notice MCSNEAD was lucky to not have any injuries.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Kromer & McSnead are trying to build the Offensive line the right way.

1. Year 1 Kromer said The Rams had enough talent & needed to add to other positions.(Robinson,Brown,)
Brown Won the RG spot.The Rams started to get rid of big contracts from players that didn’t fit moving forward.
-Austin Blythe stepped up as a solid C/G back up.
Year 2.Kromer went all in with Noteboom,Allen, & Demby. Brown failed his test & sent away. Blythe of all things won the starting RG spot. Which by the end of the season was clear The Rams needed to upgrade.

Year3.Saffold was a cap hit & The Rams decided to go with 2 players with very little experience.They never found a starting RG,let Sullivan go who was the All Pro play caller & excellent Mentor. Gave NOTEBOOM & ALLEN the starting jobs & NEVER gave them EXPERIENCE. Drafted Evans & Edwards who were both JR’s with ANOTHER YEAR of college Ball.Havenstien came into 2019 FAT & Out of Shape.

Year 4 - The Rams held packed. Resigned Whitworth & Blythe who both bring leadership. Colbertt is a player who should solidify the LEFT Side. Blythe I Hope starts, but would be a excellent backup C/G. Havenstien hopefully is EMBARRASSED & Earns the RT spot. The R.I.C.E rehab should help his balance & core. EVANS(23) got some really good NFL experience. Brewer(22)should be better all around.
Edwards never played guard in his career & improved a lot as the starting RG.
Demby,Colone will be in there 3rd seasons. Shelton Coleman was on the roster for 14 weeks. It’s really basic thoughts.

PressureD41

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Just wonder how these virtual meeting will go! Cohesion is everything!!!

PressureD41

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Wonder is Bobby Evans can be a LT option, or is he strictly a RT guy?... Thoughts?

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Honestly, he is a good guard option. Not really a spectacular tackle option at the NFL level.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

I don't think Evans can play LT, but I sure think he can play RT. I will give Havenstein the edge and would love to see Evans at RG over Edwards, but one step at a time. I need to see more of him at RT.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
It doesn't. The question/scenario was which is more likely. IMO the B option is much more likely to have throttled our offense last year. Injuries have to be considered in either scenario as well. Allen, Havenstein, Noteboom.

For myself, I find it hard to believe that losing one elite Guard and one experienced but old Center was the primary reason for the huge dropoff last year. Same coaching, same scheme, same QB, same anchor LT. Even with a talent dropoff it shouldn't have been that bad.
I don't see elite OL's around the league losing a key piece or two and disintegrating like we saw from our front last year. It can happen when you lose your LT or RT. Snowball effect.

Im not buying into it being as big a personnel issue as others make it out to be. Stale scheme and injuries. That's my take.

JMO
You could also add in the super bowl hang over. I think the team, players and coaches, were wore out, physicly and mentaly. The success they had also fooled them into thinking they could plug and play. Plus i think it is human nature to relax a little and loose focus. Having a disappointing season has refocused them and that by itself will contribute to better prep and better play.

Last edited:

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I am optimistic about Blythe since he was injured apparently. He is an excellent technician and actually played real well in 2018 when Brown went down injured and played so well, he replaced Jamon Brown if you recall. And that was at guard. Blythe doesn't have the power to be a pro bowl guard but he is assignment sound when healthy, if last year injury was really the reason for the falloff.

Is it known when Blythe's shoulder issues began? Any chance it was late 2018 when he seemed to drop off?