Rams Offensive Line 2021

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I would hope that ROD members who can attend the open TC's can shed some complete info on Booby Evans & just how well he can progress.

I just do not see a good starting OG in Evans. I do see a decent starting RT though. If the OL coach does move Corbett to center (still questionable), the vacated RG post is in an outstanding position to be filled with excellent prospective young starting RG's with Tremayne Anchrum, Bobby Evans & Chandler Brewer. In this case, the Rams have themselves in good shape.

I would not even rule out Coleman Shelton giving all of those three a good bit of competition too. Shelton is a RFA in less than a year & is sure to desire to place himself in the best position now entering his 3rd season for contention for an open interior position.

I still remain positive that ROD's favorite whipping child, Brian Allen (who is entering his 4th season & endured some serious setbacks can be a good interior reserve for all 3 posts this season if he does not win the OC post. Allen was primarily a starting OG in college. If the 6-1 & 7/8th tall Anchrum can play OT then Allen certainly can play some OG if needed.

It will interesting to watch the two new rookie UDFA LT's in TC for anyone who gets to attend. Max Pircher & Alaric Jackson reports will catch my attention instantly.

Your right on. I agree with you with Noteboom being the backup LT only.If need be he can play LG. In the preseason try another LT such as Brewer. Anchrum says he likes the Right Side. RT & RG and is a solid swing guy there.

-Not sure I agree with this though ? I’ll post more later.Brian Allen is a player I see different than yourself though.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Anchrum says he likes the Right Side.
I've read a couple times that Anchrum was quoted as saying he can play all five spots on the OL. He said that pre-draft and has said that with the Rams.

But I have never heard him say he prefers the right side. Where did you see that?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And btw if I had to put money on who starts at RG it would be Anchrum. I think he makes a ton more sense than some of these other guys.

Brewer they seem to like at OT, and also he's just too much of an unknown. I have a way better feel for Anchrum just based on his Clemson tape let alone all the buzz I've heard on the guy from the Rams.

Also Boom is too weak, now maybe he really has a great offseason like SJD did the other year and remakes himself but barring that he's too light in the ass to start at this level. I cannot stand OL that get knocked back into the pocket. Fuck that.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
OL will be my main focus at TC 'IF' fans are allowed to attend. I've been trying to find out where TC will be, with no success. If my memory serves, Rams TC contract with Irvine was only through 2020. Otherwise all of TC will be at Cal St. Northridge and they haven't allowed fans there. (I can't imagine they would have all of TC without fans).

Two months til TC and we are all still in the dark as to where, when and what kind (if any) covid restrictions will be in place.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I've read a couple times that Anchrum was quoted as saying he can play all five spots on the OL. He said that pre-draft and has said that with the Rams.

But I have never heard him say he prefers the right side. Where did you see that?

It’s his rookie interview. He is only 22 still & 6th youngest which seems crazy to me.His head is on straight no doubt.Here is talking about. I don’t think he wants to play Center.I really think he might actually like RT best?
—Bobby Beown is 6”4 320lbs & only 20 years old. Cam Akers is 2nd youngest & still only 21.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
And btw if I had to put money on who starts at RG it would be Anchrum. I think he makes a ton more sense than some of these other guys.

Brewer they seem to like at OT, and also he's just too much of an unknown. I have a way better feel for Anchrum just based on his Clemson tape let alone all the buzz I've heard on the guy from the Rams.

Also Boom is too weak, now maybe he really has a great offseason like SJD did the other year and remakes himself but barring that he's too light in the ass to start at this level. I cannot stand OL that get knocked back into the pocket. Fuck that.

Lol - imo Anchrum still needs time to groom a bit.I don’t get where you see it any different.Just going from my vision.Brewer to me is not ready either & not confident like Tre.
—Noteboom is stronger than you think.Bobby Evans is better 90% better than getting credit for.
—Corbett & Allen are the wild cards imo.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
If PFF knows what they're talking about, Stafford will be quite happy coming from Detroit to play behind our OL.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Replacing Whit is the only big issue i'm seeing. Better QB play this year will erase a lot of the perceived pressure issues we've seen the last couple years.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Noteboom played well for Whitworth when he got hurt.He also was coming of a knee injury & has been The Rams starting LG to start 2019 & 2020.I know there is a New OC,but that doesn’t give Joesph Noteboom a reason not to compete.He is going into a Contract Year.
I thought so too. We lost 3 games (of 7) after Whitworth went down. The first was SF.....and I don't want to beat a dead horse here but...after taking a 20-17 lead with 14:17 left in the game, we allowed a 44 yd FG to tie it. After the kickoff, we started at our 25 with 3:11 remaining, needing a FG to win. We needed to gain 42 yards in a tick more than 3 minutes and we could have attempted a 30 yard FG. We had 3 time outs. Our plan of attack was pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, after Cam Akers gained 78 yards on his previous 6 carries. How much did that have to do with missing Whitworth?

The next game we lost was to the Jets. Did that have ANYTHING to do with Whitworth? They scored 23 points on us after scoring 34 in their previous 3 games. I'm going to call "unprepared" or "took them lightly" which a team cannot allow to happen when they are fighting for the division title.

Win those 2 games and we're 12-4....

Did we miss Whitworth? Sure we did. But did Noteboom perform well enough to cover for that loss? I believe he did. And I'll add one more thing. IMHO, Whitworth was beginning to show his age in 2020 and I don't mean because he was injured.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It’s his rookie interview. He is only 22 still & 6th youngest which seems crazy to me.His head is on straight no doubt.Here is talking about. I don’t think he wants to play Center.I really think he might actually like RT best?
—Bobby Beown is 6”4 320lbs & only 20 years old. Cam Akers is 2nd youngest & still only 21.
In that interview he said he was comfortable playing on the right side which was because he was a rookie at that time and had played RT in college. But even then he said he was prepared to play anywhere on the line.

There is a difference between saying you are comfortable on the right side and saying you prefer to play on the right side. Which you made sound like that was his preference. And that is not true.

He is definitely in play at RG this year or LG in the event they want to move Edwards next to Havenstein to mash. And he's probably already stronger than Boom tbh, who has had much more time in a pro regimen but who still has not managed to avoid being pushed around.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Replacing Whit is the only big issue i'm seeing. Better QB play this year will erase a lot of the perceived pressure issues we've seen the last couple years.

WE not ME - Big Whit has been mentoring Joseph Noteboom coming on his 4th Training camp.There’s examples,but I’m going to focus on Noteboom here.There was not a lot of drop off with him as the starting LT.

IMO he will get signed for a team friendly contract.There is a lot of doubt,but I don’t think McSnead has that same sentiment.His knee & play maybe worth waiting for,and what Demoff & Snead like to do of late? I don’t know how the contract works either & come September it will start to settle one way or another.

Austin Corbett is more of the concerning of his future.The Rams have some nice depth though.The Rams have been very young & developing the Offensive Line has been a process.

dang

Legend
My guess is that McVay and his offense addiction was fixated on a long term WR who could stretch the field. Not sure if Eskridge or Atwell was his first choice at R2.57 but IMO he wasn’t to be denied with his 1sr pick. He wasn’t going to add anything on offense until he had that home run threat on board.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
After the Rams 2020 regular season & 2021 Playoff run ended, I ranked the Rams Offensive line at about the 9th to 12th overall unit.

In my opinion the Rams O-Line was not as good as PFF and a few other NFL pundits ranked them when the season ended but I don't believe they're as bad or in shambles as some of the other NFL talking heads believe they are heading into the 2021 season.

As of today I'm estimating the Rams O-Line talent to be above average but just outside of the top 10.

On paper for the 2021 season my gut feeling is they rank somewhere in the range of 11 through 15.

11 through 15 is an above average to good O-Line but nothing special to hang your hat on.

They might end up being a top 7 to 10 O-Line but as of today it feels like they rank in 11 to 15 area.

Reading and Listening to the off-season rumors, there will be some moving parts and experiments on the O-Line during camp and the preseason.

The O-Line is clearly one of the most speculated and anticipated position groups to follow as a Rams fan prior to the start of the 2021 season.

mystery-and-suspense-901x755.jpg

dang

Legend
I like to put things in perspective by adding an objective viewpoint. For the 2020 season: Did the Rams offense control games? Were they able to hit a consistent sustaining rhythms? Were they able to come back in the 4th quarter when needed? I think we know the answer to these questions. So the remedy was to either beef up 2-3 positions on the OL or find a more skilled QB. The Rams track record clearly pointed to the latter option. While we all wanted an c
upgrade at OC perhaps one was not available anywhere near R2.57 in the draft. So in McVay we trust but there still needs to be some care and feeding for the OL (e.g. LT, OC).

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I really have to wonder why Corbett at Center is portrayed as such a gamble among ROD membership, what is it that you witnessed while he was playing RG last season or LG the season prior that has you so concerned about his ability to make the transition ? I'm not saying the job is nailed down yet, there are other competitors including a former starter presumably, but why is Corbett such a long-shot to succeed for so many of you ?

Last edited:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
In my opinion the Rams O-Line was not as good as PFF and a few other NFL pundits ranked them when the season ended but I don't believe they're as bad or in shambles as some of the other NFL talking heads believe they are heading into the 2021 season
Honestly the only source where i've heard that the OL is in shambles is in here.

Having a need to upgrade at one(or two) spots on the line doesn't qualify.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I like to put things in perspective by adding an objective viewpoint. For the 2020 season: Did the Rams offense control games? Were they able to hit a consistent sustaining rhythms? Were they able to come back in the 4th quarter when needed? I think we know the answer to these questions. So the remedy was to either beef up 2-3 positions on the OL or find a more skilled QB. The Rams track record clearly pointed to the latter option. While we all wanted an c
upgrade at OC perhaps one was not available anywhere near R2.57 in the draft. So in McVay we trust but there still needs to be some care and feeding for the OL (e.g. LT, OC).
I agree and falling in line with that, the Lions have put more emphasis on upgrading OL than the Rams. Why? Because they're also smart and understand who their QB is.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
In that interview he said he was comfortable playing on the right side which was because he was a rookie at that time and had played RT in college. But even then he said he was prepared to play anywhere on the line.

There is a difference between saying you are comfortable on the right side and saying you prefer to play on the right side. Which you made sound like that was his preference. And that is not true.

He is definitely in play at RG this year or LG in the event they want to move Edwards next to Havenstein to mash. And he's probably already stronger than Boom tbh, who has had much more time in a pro regimen but who still has not managed to avoid being pushed around.

You know Merlin, if your right your right.That’s all good by me.I watch the games & the interviews just as you do.I’d say in most case we would already know.This is all new with OTA’s & training camp.There was no preseason so I go by what I think is right.
My view on Bobby Evans & J.Noteboom are a lot different than yourself.I’ve been fooled & I’ve been wrong big time.They are the veterans though right now.
T.Anchrum is impressive and a unbelievable gem The Rams found.He already made the decision to become a RAM even before he was drafted.That is crazy how fast it goes down & teams communicate with these players. Bobby Brown in one of his interviews was excited when asking The Rams or chargers had talked to him pre-draft.Anchrum & Brown both are so Big & Mature for there age.They are only 21 & 22 years of age & there is so much growth for both of these players because of it .

—Cheers it’d be nice if they both became All Pros for The Rams.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I agree and falling in line with that, the Lions have put more emphasis on upgrading OL than the Rams. Why? Because they're also smart and understand who their QB is.

Jared Goff was a solid QB for The Rams & helped change the culture.
He is very competitive,but I think he was limited in the pocket.We will get to see how it all plays out.

The fact The Rams gave up 2 1’s & a 3rd rd draft pick. Plus did not draft a OFFENSE LINEMAN in 2021 makes me believe they feel comfortable about there O’Line.Les Snead & Sean Mcvay both said a little bit about it as well.