Rams Offensive Line 2021

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Honestly the only source where i've heard that the OL is in shambles is in here.

Having a need to upgrade at one(or two) spots on the line doesn't qualify.

We aren’t the only ones concerned about the OL, if you look at Twitter and other fans and reporters question it as well. After the draft, one of the first questions McVay and Snead were asked was about their plan with the OL and why they didn’t draft anyone. Articles on the OL were published right after the draft because reporters and the Rams know that ppl are concerned.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
We aren’t the only ones concerned about the OL, if you look at Twitter and other fans and reporters question it as well. After the draft, one of the first questions McVay and Snead were asked was about their plan with the OL and why they didn’t draft anyone. Articles on the OL were published right after the draft because reporters and the Rams know that ppl are concerned.
Those are draft needs that included many positions including a Center, LT, CB, EDGE, ILB, TE etc. Every team has needs.

My claim was that the only source where i'm hearing our OL is in need of serious attention and in shambles(bad) is here. That's not the narrative out there. The strong and consistent narratives that have been out there for the last couple years are that Goff sucks, Whit is old and our LB's are weak.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Those are draft needs that included many positions including a Center, LT, CB, EDGE, ILB, TE etc. Every team has needs.

My claim was that the only source where i'm hearing our OL is in need of serious attention and in shambles(bad) is here. That's not the narrative out there. The strong and consistent narratives that have been out there for the last couple years are that Goff sucks, Whit is old and our LB's are weak.

I’m all in on The Rams offensive line in 2021.I will make a point in favor of
Rod”Ram Fans here.

1. Goff got traded for 2 1’s & a 3rd rd draft pick. Then add Matthew Stafford
and ask the question why the trade? I’d say Stafford will only make the offensive line better.Those pick could have been used to bulk up front.

2.The Offensive Line has a new Main Coach.Dickerson is gone as well as Aaron Kromer.IMO Zak Kromer will still be a bigger part of The O”Line.Having Kevin Carberry to work under will help,add a new energy & maybe even Philosophy as well.

3. Whit is going to be 40 this season,but he still brings that leadership.I will say I don’t understand Joesph Noteboom not getting much love around here though.He cameback after that knee injury in 2020 to start at LG.He then did fairly well at LT when big Whit got hurt.

4. Rams LBers- Floyd was the big FA singing for 2021.The Rams had one of the best defenses in 2020.T.Lewis should be healthy this season.I don’t think he got enough credit play through injuries.I understand the concerns from his past though.

Last edited:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Stafford will only make the offensive line better.
I agree and believe McV knows this.
Those pick could have been used to bulk up front.
True but i think McSnead began to realize how expensive and difficult it was going to be to surround an average QB with perfection(an expensive elite vet OL) in addition to the elite skill guys.

IMO we now are looking at pairing an above average OL w/a good QB rather than an average QB. That's a big deal for the entire offense.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I really have to wonder why Corbett at Center is portrayed as such a gamble among ROD membership, what is it that you witnessed while he was playing RG last season or LG the season prior that has you so concerned about his ability to make the transition ? I'm not saying the job is nailed down yet, there are other competitors including a former starter presumably, but why is Corbett such a long-shot to succeed for so many of you ?
I think some of it has to do with his time in Cleveland where he didn’t do a very good job at C.

Browns trade C Austin Corbett to Rams for fifth-round pick​

AP

BEREA, Ohio (AP) — Austin Corbett moved around on Cleveland's offensive line. His next stop is Los Angeles.
The Browns traded Corbett, who failed to live up to high expectations after being selected with the No. 33 overall pick in the 2018 draft, to the Rams on Tuesday for a fifth-round draft pick in 2021.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Big Rob’s B-Day. The Oldest Tenured Ram Olineman. Has held down The RT spot better than most. Congrats 4 another year wiser.

View: https://twitter.com/RamsNFL/status/1392874074460737536?s=20

Hear Hear! Never got (don't get) some of the negativity thrown his way.
Every position could be improved on (except AD, JR), but the guy's been solid for a long time, and imo, until RH, we have sucked at RT since letting Fred Smith walk after winning the SB.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Hear Hear! Never got (don't get) some of the negativity thrown his way.
Every position could be improved on (except AD, JR), but the guy's been solid for a long time, and imo, until RH, we have sucked at RT since letting Fred Smith walk after winning the SB.
Just a case of looking at where to save cap dollars to keep Williams next yr while utilizing the depth you drafted for the OL the last 4 yrs. And then also getting some draft capital in return even if a later pick that could be used to trade up in an earlier round.

Who knows, maybe if you had just a 5th for Hav, you use that to trade up into round four, then maybe you stick at 88 and draft Menirez since you have that other 4th or 5th rounder.

Just trying to maximize the roster.

In a perfect non cap world there would be no questions, but we don't live in that world.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
My guess is that McVay and his offense addiction was fixated on a long term WR who could stretch the field. Not sure if Eskridge or Atwell was his first choice at R2.57 but IMO he wasn’t to be denied with his 1sr pick. He wasn’t going to add anything on offense until he had that home run threat on board.

I don’t think that is true.Landon Dickerson was a player I believe Les Snead was talking about Red Shirting 2021.The Rams are going to have a hard enough time come September??

Who are your 8 Offensive Lineman your keeping ?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I think some of it has to do with his time in Cleveland where he didn’t do a very good job at C.

AP

BEREA, Ohio (AP) — Austin Corbett moved around on Cleveland's offensive line. His next stop is Los Angeles.
The Browns traded Corbett, who failed to live up to high expectations after being selected with the No. 33 overall pick in the 2018 draft, to the Rams on Tuesday for a fifth-round draft pick in 2021.

Yeah, that's a popular theory, but Corbett barely had a dozen regular season snaps with Cleveland in the year and a half on their roster, and I'm not sure any of those snaps were at Center. The HC that drafted him wanted him to play OT while every pundit in the game had him coming out of college projected as either an OG or Center. Cleveland gave up on him with hardly any effort, it's really a slap in the face to their organization that Corbett was playing LG at a high level just a couple weeks after arriving in L.A.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Just a case of looking at where to save cap dollars to keep Williams next yr while utilizing the depth you drafted for the OL the last 4 yrs. And then also getting some draft capital in return even if a later pick that could be used to trade up in an earlier round.

Who knows, maybe if you had just a 5th for Hav, you use that to trade up into round four, then maybe you stick at 88 and draft Menirez since you have that other 4th or 5th rounder.

Just trying to maximize the roster.

In a perfect non cap world there would be no questions, but we don't live in that world.
You're right - who knows? Trade a known quantity for a fifth to move up to a fourth so you get a guy in the third that's your second pick, and on and on and on... Where btw, there's no guarantee he works out.

Great if it works. My oriignal point however, was that we have a good, known quantity at the right price and I wouldn't fuck with it.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
IMO the only real question is LG as I think as long as Allen is 100% and I've heard nothing to think he isn't, he is the presumptive starter. We know Corbett will be an OG on one side, but will he move back to the left side? I think he might. I think the lack of game experience will hurt Brewer and he will be in a backup role. So I think the other OG will come down to Evans, Edwards, Shelton, and Brewer. I like Brewer and he might have the best mobility of the 4. Although last year he was looked at by Kromer as an OT, like Evans by his build he's an OG perhaps a RT in the NFL. I am not convinced Edwards will continue to start at LG and that will be left to Carberry.

My only issue with the o-line is RT Havenstein. He's paid too much to sit but he's given up 9 sacks over two years and his heavy feet are a huge liability as is his cap of $8.8M. Remember the Rams schedule have them facing largely the top-tier teams. They can't afford an OT who can't block speed rushers because this year they will see a lot of them. He has a manageable dead cap of $3.1M which would clear $5M in cap space if he isn't on the roster. With Jared and Todd still on the dead cap, they can't make Rob a post June 1 release. I don't see why they would wait since he's gone next year anyway. Better one year early than one year too late, i.e. if Stafford gets hurt. Dunlap killed Havenstein last year. Goff got hurt because of bad o-line play.
Dunlop killed Hav?

In three games, he totaled 2 tackles, 0 sacks, 5 QB pressures and 4 QB hits (in 114 total pass plays).

I’d say Hav lived.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Yeah, that's a popular theory, but Corbett barely had a dozen regular season snaps with Cleveland in the year and a half on their roster, and I'm not sure any of those snaps were at Center. The HC that drafted him wanted him to play OT while every pundit in the game had him coming out of college projected as either an OG or Center. Cleveland gave up on him with hardly any effort, it's really a slap in the face to their organization that Corbett was playing LG at a high level just a couple weeks after arriving in L.A.
Sometimes that change of scenery is motivating. Who knows if that, other players around him, scheme or maybe fear of having to find a real job made the difference.

As long as he’s a Ram I’m pulling for him. The coaches know a hell of a lot more about all of them than me.

dang

Legend

True but i think McSnead began to realize how expensive and difficult it was going to be to surround an average QB with perfection(an expensive elite vet OL) in addition to the elite skill guys.

IMO we now are looking at pairing an above average OL w/a good QB rather than an average QB. That's a big deal for the entire offense.
Agreed. I loved Goff and wish him the best but he hit a plateau and proceeded to regress. The Rams either needed to upgrade OC, RG and RT - or - replace Goff in order to improve the passing game. Goff needs a clean pocket to succeed. Even then it was clear that Goff was going to make a horrible turnover at least once a game. Let’s see if Stafford can bridge our less than stellar pass protection.

RocknRam29

Live, Love, Laugh, & Learn
Looks like Corbett at C and Evans at RG with the 1s

20210517_180304.jpg

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
You're right - who knows? Trade a known quantity for a fifth to move up to a fourth so you get a guy in the third that's your second pick, and on and on and on... Where btw, there's no guarantee he works out.

Great if it works. My oriignal point however, was that we have a good, known quantity at the right price and I wouldn't fuck with it.
Well Hav would be replaced by Evans, Edwards or Brewer, but the extra pick could fill a hole this yr or next yr. And the $5M you save this yr and $7M you save next yr, could all be rolled into next yrs cap to resign Williams... Or are you okay with hoping a young guy develops and can replace him?

Like I said would prefer to keep him, but in the cap era you can't keep everyone and l would rather keep Williams next yr than Havenstein this yr.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Thanks Mojo -

I’ll add what I saw in Bobby Evans in the Playoffs was impressive.I thought it would have been Noteboom to start or replace David Edwards.Cam Akers was outstanding for a 21 year old rookie.. -Mcvay(Snead)stated it as well.
-John Wolford Mcvay trusted as well over Jared Goff,and had to switch back due to injury.
—Troy Reeder was another player Mcvay trusted in over Micah Kiser.It showed a lot of trust.
—A player over looked,but I believe needs to be replaced or cut? There is hope with a offseason Justin Hollins will get better.I think T.Lewis takes that starting role though.

All 4 players though had starting spots in the playoffs,which shows
they were being counted on in the biggest games of the 2020 season.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

AP

Well he was behind a Top 5 O’Line were he was expandable.IMO The Rams & McSnead have a way about them with developing players.

Having the youngest teams in The NFL since Les Snead has been a GM.
It’s nice that even with Big Whit at 40(39) the Offensive line is still young. The C. Browns made the trade
Because they knew the talen Austin Corbett brings.

Once again imo I believe Sean Mcvay said players cross train is not a endorsement for Corbett to be the starting Center.The Rams are only going to carry 8 .Austin Corbett fits the Bill as the backup Center.Then again if he does win the starting Center spot he can move back to guard & have the backup Center start in case of emergency which is what is needed.
If he can’t play Center The Rams need to continue grooming Coleman.
It will play itself out,but good luck seeing Corbett in the preseason.