Rams make 2y offer to RFA Center Ryan Groy(Buffalo)/Bills match offer

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Bills fan I believe is incorrect. We offered 2 years for a total of 5 million. Their offer is 1 year for $1.8 million.

I believe that bills fan post is in reply to someone saying the bills messed up by not offering him a 2nd rd tender which he said would cost them 900k more, or 1 year $2.7m. so in terms of $/year matching would be a slight discount compared to the 2nd round tender cost. Either way, the point is they werent willing to offer him $2.7m for this season, so maybe they wont be willing to give him the $3.5m or whatever the total is this season with the bonus.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Bills fans are talking about CUTTING Wood and signing Groy to the cheaper contract.

I feel sick.

I thought about this too. Wood is 30,and more expensive. He will continue to be more expensive. They could cut Wood and take the cap hit for one year, and sign Groy. If they signed Groy to a 3-4-5 year deal they could have a much better cap situation in the long run. Troy looked very good in 7 games last year.

See above

No, it was an appropriate contract offer, which to me is a huge relief. I was worried that the Rams offered him starter money, because I don't see him as a legit answer. If he comes in on that deal and surprises, that's cool. But gotta give the Rams credit here for not going desperate and overpaying too much.

Bills might not match it, who knows. Either way the Rams are still likely to add a Center in the draft. There are some really nice ones who can help us, just a matter of how things fall out and that value question in terms of when they'll pull the trigger.

If they get Groy then they don't have to draft one early.

Rams signed Tim Barnes to a 2yr 5.6m deal. They are offering Groy 600,000 less. Pretty surprising IMO if those numbers are right.

That is part of why Barnes needed to go. He was overpaid for his production.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Seems like if the Bills go in on Groy, they'd have to consider cutting Woods. And then we'd make a play for Woods. Feel like the Rams are doing a nice job on this one. Even if they get neither, think they're handling it just right.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Does anyone know how the Bill's other backup, Lewis, fits into the picture? He's on the books for approx 1.5 mil. With only 7 O-lineman active on any Game day, how many O-lineman can they afford to keep?

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
At least we know the rams feel they need a FA center so if the bills match look for maybe mangold. Going after groy also says to me that they don't want to spend their first couple selections on a center in the draft.

Now get barwin

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Myles Simmons‏Verified account@MylesASimmons 12m12 minutes ago

Groy started seven games at C last year for the Bills in place of injured Eric Wood. In those 7 games, BUF averaged 176.4 yards rushing.

DrHavenstein

Rookie
Name
Ty
Every post/stat I hear about Groy (aka Yorg according to Wikipedia lol) I want him more and more.

According to Sportrac, Bills have about 23 million in cap. Plenty of space to keep RG if they choose to have the depth. That being said, they also have 7.5m of a cap hit tied up on Wood, and 1.5 on their other C. It's up to them if they want to add 3.5m (I believe that's the cap hit, correct if I'm wrong gents)to that. I think that's the deciding factor. 12.5 million is a lot to pay your three centers.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
This signing would go a long way to deciding what we do with our draft, as others have already said. I just can't see us spending any 2nd or 3rd round picks on a C/G -- we've got to reserve those picks to adequately address WR / CB / OLB. TE would be a plus.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Wonder what the plan will be if the Bills match the offer?

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
think we shoulda offered a little more. everything starts with the o-line and Groy would be a great piece for the future

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
think we shoulda offered a little more. everything starts with the o-line and Groy would be a great piece for the future
One would think the Rams would have already known what it was going to take , before they made the offer

A little insider information maybe

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
A little insider information maybe

God I hope so or maybe there is somebody in the draft they really like and they feel can play Center from day one, but I sure would feel better with Groy and rank his signing right up there with Whitworth.

Psycho_X

Legend
I'm scared to look at this thread anymore because I'm expecting someone to post a tweet that Buffalo has matched.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Everything I read is saying this guy might be an up and coming stud and at this time he's already a good center. His performance during the 7 games last year and the Bills 176yrs rushing per game during that stretch, makes me think they see him as valuable. With the cap space we have and if Kromer wanted him, why wouldn't we make sure he's a Ram?

3.5M seems a little risky to me. I'm praying!!