Rams make 2y offer to RFA Center Ryan Groy(Buffalo)/Bills match offer

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And Bills would have to cover that 3.5m for a backup C if they wanted to match?
Yes when they just paid their starter and two other Guards who also have center experience were extended/resigned.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
From a bills fan in their forum:

"And yet based on reality and the actual offer he was given, it looks like the Bills assigned him the correct value. Another team did make him an offer, and it is even less than what the higher tender would have cost us. So now we get to keep him at a discounted rate because, again, the Bills properly assessed his market value."
Bills fan I believe is incorrect. We offered 2 years for a total of 5 million. Their offer is 1 year for $1.8 million.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
This is one of those things that will drive ya nuts if it goes on for the full five days

Cause you know the Bills know what their gonna do

Psycho_X

Legend
Like has been said the Bills have put a lot of money to their interior line already this offseason. It would be hard to justify putting more to it.

His salary cap number this year would be $3.5 million and $1.5 million next season. Because both roster bonuses are set to be guaranteed in the next several weeks so both would count on this years salary cap even though one of them is for next year. $3.5 mil for a backup center when already investing a lot on interior o-line might be too much.

I hope they pass though. The draft will be soooo much more interesting if we aren't desperate for a starting center. Can focus on BPA for the most part.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Well hopefully they don't match since he's their backup... Not sure if they want to spend that much on a backup lineman, especially when they already have 9 OL on their roster and another OT RFA... Meaning if they match they'll have 11 OL on their roster which seems very high.

I wont hold my breath that they don't match, but they're pretty full up, especially when they have so many needs elsewhere. You spend that kind of cash on a backup center when you're good elsewhere, not when you have other holes in your roster.... But the Bills aren't exactly a team known for years of continued success so they may just do that.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
I guess it's a good thing it doesn't matter what fans think.
One thing is nice though

It's nice to know the Rams are going after players that are very well liked and respected by their teams fans

speaks volumes

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Doesn't seem like Kromer "had to have him" with that contract offer.

No, it was an appropriate contract offer, which to me is a huge relief. I was worried that the Rams offered him starter money, because I don't see him as a legit answer. If he comes in on that deal and surprises, that's cool. But gotta give the Rams credit here for not going desperate and overpaying too much.

Bills might not match it, who knows. Either way the Rams are still likely to add a Center in the draft. There are some really nice ones who can help us, just a matter of how things fall out and that value question in terms of when they'll pull the trigger.

Jeff Lacz

UDFA
Name
HOOSIER
This Rams Brain trust knows what they are doing! They know something we don't! Have faith!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
. 2 lineman, a receiver and a corner. Really encouraged by what they are doing.
First time I can remember when the needs of the team, discussed in forums....was actually addressed in free agency.

LT - Whitworth = 6'7" - 330
LG - Saffold = 6'5" - 332
C - Groy = 6'5 - 320
RG - Brown = 6'4 - 323
RT - Robinson = 6'5" - 332
Fixed it for ya River-rum!!!!! Damn sure wanna eat some of that BBQ too!;)

Not sure I agree, would still like to see what Kromer can do with Brown, Donnal, D.Williams & Wichmann
Exactly....especially Brown & Donnall....I'll see what Cody Wichmann comes in like.
Brown, Wichmann, Donnal, Havenstein and Grob. Best case would have Grob and Havenstein filling the last two spots. It will be interesting.
You too fearsome.. Brown & G-Rob

0 sacks allowed in 7 games in 2016 is a good upgrade?
I'd say pretty good...and he's not a natural center. All the Badger linemen are cross-trained....So are the dudes at Iowa.

Great move by Les...Great contracts by Kev....

All this almost makes me want to punch Fisher in the mouth....Sorry...it's not right, but I just love my Rams and hate to see someone bring them down....These needs were obvious....for years...yet for some reason Fish and Williams wanted "their" guys....even if they could play or not.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

So, by Friday, we'll know for sure if the Rams scored another Big one! This will mean that we have acquired, thru FA, an OT - WR - CB and Center!! Really nice work!! Great Pre-Draft moves, along with our Player-cuts/ releases!

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
So, by Friday, we'll know for sure if the Rams scored another Big one! This will mean that we have acquired, thru FA, an OT - WR - CB and Center!! Really nice work!! Great Pre-Draft moves, along with our Player-cuts/ releases!
The Player cuts / release is probably just as important , as the new players their signing

Just getting rid of Jeff Fishers dead weight has already improved this team

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I think Saturday. It's expected to be signed today, and the Bills will have 5 days from then.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Rams signed Tim Barnes to a 2yr 5.6m deal. They are offering Groy 600,000 less. Pretty surprising IMO if those numbers are right.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
http://www.buffalorumblings.com/201...center-ryan-groy-offer-sheet-los-angeles-rams Groy, 26, proved in seven games last year that he’s more than capable of starting at center in the NFL. However, the Bills have a starting center entrenched on the line in Eric Wood. While Wood is entering a contract year, it’s hard to envision him playing anywhere else past next year, and at 30 he should still have a few good years left. It’s hard to see the Bills matching this offer. While it’s fair market value for Groy (probably a bit on the lower side), he doesn’t really have a spot in Buffalo to earn that money unless someone ends up on injured reserve again. Given the needs that remain at other positions, notably wide receiver and defensive back, it’s hard to justify the team sinking starter money into a backup position.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No, it was an appropriate contract offer, which to me is a huge relief. I was worried that the Rams offered him starter money, because I don't see him as a legit answer. If he comes in on that deal and surprises, that's cool. But gotta give the Rams credit here for not going desperate and overpaying too much.

Bills might not match it, who knows. Either way the Rams are still likely to add a Center in the draft. There are some really nice ones who can help us, just a matter of how things fall out and that value question in terms of when they'll pull the trigger.
I don't disagree at all, in fact I feel 100% the same way.
If we don't get him, so be it