Rams make 2y offer to RFA Center Ryan Groy(Buffalo)/Bills match offer

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
If Bills match , can the Rams then up the offer

No, I asked earlier, it's a one time offer... I hope that Kromer left on good terms and has had informal 'discussions' with Buffalo's FO - if you know what I mean ;-)

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
No, I asked earlier, it's a one time offer... I hope that Kromer left on good terms and has had informal 'discussions' with Buffalo's FO - if you know what I mean ;-)
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for , you would assume the Rams put in their homework before they made their offer

sdakotaram

Rookie
Name
sdakotaram
http://www.buffalorumblings.com/201...center-ryan-groy-offer-sheet-los-angeles-rams

Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle (an authority on contract figures) is reporting that the two-year deal is worth $5 million, with a base salary of $1.5 million in each season.

According to Tom Pelissero of USA Today, the Rams are willing to pay $3.5M guaranteed, $2.5M of which comes from his $1.5M salary in 2017 and a $1M signing bonus. There’s also a 2018 signing bonus if Groy is on the roster in a week.

The Bills have five days to match the Rams’ offer. Since Groy was an undrafted free agent and the Bills tendered him at the lowest value, they will receive no compensation if they decide to pass.

The Rams have a gaping hole on the depth chart at center. Last year’s starter, Tim Barnes, was released with one year left on his deal earlier this month. The Rams’ new offensive line coach is Aaron Kromer, who coached Groy in Buffalo last year and is entirely aware of his abilities.

Groy, 26, proved in seven games last year that he’s more than capable of starting at center in the NFL. However, the Bills have a starting center entrenched on the line in Eric Wood. While Wood is entering a contract year, it’s hard to envision him playing anywhere else past next year, and at 30 he should still have a few good years left.

It’s hard to see the Bills matching this offer. While it’s fair market value for Groy (probably a bit on the lower side), he doesn’t really have a spot in Buffalo to earn that money unless someone ends up on injured reserve again. Given the needs that remain at other positions, notably wide receiver and defensive back, it’s hard to justify the team sinking starter money into a backup position.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for , you would assume the Rams put in their homework before they made their offer

I know I would if i was in their situation. That's why we cut Barnes IMO, this was being lined up. They know it's essential to upgrade the line, Kromer has experience with Groy, must think it will be a good move.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I like this offseason so far. Hopefully the Bills won't match that offer. It doesn't sound likely they will considering they have their starter. But it ain't a done deal till its a done deal.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What's the bills cap looking like? Do they have 3.5 to spare?
Edit: they've got about 18 million. They could eat 3.5 if they wanted to. Guess it depends on what the market value is for a starting center and how much they're willing to pay a backup on their roster

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Considering that we may have overpaid another Bill, the universe should give this one to us

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Interesting so his 2018 roster bonus is if he's on the roster in a week from now? So the up front would be basically 3.5 of the 5 million.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Interesting so his 2018 roster bonus is if he's on the roster in a week from now? So the up front would be basically 3.5 of the 5 million.
Then you extend him once you have him. Let him play out the year and then look long term ?

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe

And Bills would have to cover that 3.5m for a backup C if they wanted to match?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Doesn't seem like Kromer "had to have him" with that contract offer.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
From a bills fan in their forum:

"And yet based on reality and the actual offer he was given, it looks like the Bills assigned him the correct value. Another team did make him an offer, and it is even less than what the higher tender would have cost us. So now we get to keep him at a discounted rate because, again, the Bills properly assessed his market value."

DrHavenstein

Rookie
Name
Ty
Seems matchable if the 18million of cap is right. Just depends on how many other holes they need to fill.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack

I thought they already paid Wood his bonuses. Which is why they waited to tender an offer sheet for Groy.

fearsomefour

Legend
Assuming this signing goes through the Rams have improved the two most important positions on the line, LT and C. Fair to say LT has received a massive upgrade and good upgrade at C.
Assuming Saffold stays and has one G spot locked down it leaves a lot of competition for the G and RT spot.
Brown, Wichmann, Donnal, Havenstein and Grob. Best case would have Grob and Havenstein filling the last two spots. It will be interesting.