Rams make 2y offer to RFA Center Ryan Groy(Buffalo)/Bills match offer

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
From a business perspective I agree with you, we didn't take an unnecessary risk financially. But I'm wondering if we were trying to get him at a bargain, and arrived at that number not necessarily from what we thought he was worth, but what we thought Buffalo would spend.

Who knows, but regardless how do you evaluate which is the better decision? Spending an extra million to get him versus the potential performance dropoff of settling for Mangold or a rookie? The unknown is what's risky to me and Kromer knows this guy.

Yup Kromer knows the guy yet they still paid what they did should say somthing

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams offered him a backups salary.Groys cap number is 2.5 mil. this year.
Bills are paying their starting center,Woods 7.5 million this year.
If the Rams felt like Groy could be our starter,they should have offered more than
they did.

Maybe the Rams didn't view him as a starter.That is the only way this makes sense.
This one has me scratching my head a bit.
The bills tendered to pay him $1.7 million. The contract the Rams offered him has a first year cap hit of $3.5 million. They doubled it that's not low balling it by any stretch of the imagination. Now if the Rams truly felt he was the answer at center it would have been more than two years. Even if they hadnt matched our offer we still. Don't have a long term answer at Center we merely have a two year stop gap. The Rams obviously either didn't view him as a long term answer or they wanted him to prove he was. The Rams will likely sign Sullivan now, just my opinion, and are still going to draft a center, the same one they would have if we'd signed Groy. My money is on one of Fuller, Toth or Roullier. My two mocks had Roullier in the first and Toth in the second even with signing a vet.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Reading this board you'd think we just missed out on a Hall of Fame center.

Reality is this guy is marginal. But hey I might be crazy right? So just look at the level the Bills tendered him at. Or the contract the Rams offered which was quite low, and keep in mind that was supposedly the winning bid from four teams' interest.

Rams were still going to draft a center and probably start him. Groy was insurance, a backup/marginal starter who could be a fallback to allow them to not go into the draft with big need there. I'm surprised the Bills matched it, but who knows maybe it's an FU to the line coach who left idk, since it was a very affordable deal.

And now that people are going to start raising the value of other options I'll observe again that those guys are all NOT answers for us. Upgrading from Timmy is not the goal. Upgrading to a good starting quality center is the goal. Stay focused people! :p
Exactly! If he was their long term answer it would have been a longer deal with bonuses tied in.

DrHavenstein

Rookie
Name
Ty
Unfortunate, but I think most of us saw this coming. We didn't blow them away with a deal money wise, and they probably like the younger Groy to take over the reigns for Woods.

Back to not knowing who the hell Ryan Groy is.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
True what I was implying is 3.5 million guaranteed versus 1.7 million from the Bills with the last million becoming guaranteed this year not next year. We doubled the Bills guaranteed money.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Now if the Rams truly felt he was the answer at center
And that's the key.After thinking on it,Kromer knows exactly what the kids value is.
Whatever we offered,was his value to us.
We'll move on and continue with Plan B.
Thanks for the response,Brother.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Fuck...

Oh well, i think if Kromer REALLY thought this was the guy we would've upped the money when we first signed him to an offer sheet. In Kromer I Trust...

Rams43

Hall of Fame
What if the Ram tender was merely an opening move to acquire Groy?

If the Bills don't match, we get a starting C at a very affordable price.

Now that the Bills matched, what about a trade where we throw them that Raven 7th we got for Givens? Then we've still got that same starting C at that same very affordable rate.

Rams win.

Bills win.

Groy wins.

Almost makes too much sense, huh?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Bring on Nick Mangold!

Had not his performance dropped off dramatically? Played in only 8 games & his play the last few seasons is average. He refused to take a pay cut what was it near 9 million ??? He graded as a bottom-15 center at PFF. My understanding he is coming off ankle surgery to boot. His 2015 season was full of nagging injuries a neck then his hand then there was another injury I forgot.His 2014 season was a nagging long lasting high ankle sprain. ...there's a reason he is still out there...looks to be used up for the most part the other part is he thinks he demands all pro $$$$.

I don't know if Nick will ever be healthy enough again to remain on the field of play. At the moment Tim Barnes looks really good to me. I heard that Barnes continued to play even after a nasty snapped ankle.

Last edited: