Rams make 2y offer to RFA Center Ryan Groy(Buffalo)/Bills match offer

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Please...

No Nick Mangold. There's no upside for the Rams, tbh.

Expensive

We can do better. Much better.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Had not his performance dropped off dramatically? Played in only 8 games & his play the last few seasons is average. He refused to take a pay cut what was it near 9 million ??? He graded as a bottom-15 center at PFF. My understanding he is coming off ankle surgery to boot. His 2015 season was full of nagging injuries a neck then his hand then there was another injury I forgot.His 2014 season was a nagging long lasting high ankle sprain. ...there's a reason he is still out there...looks to be used up for the most part the other part is he thinks he demands all pro $$$$.

I don't know if Nick will ever be healthy enough again to remain on the field of play. At the moment Tim Barnes looks really good to me.

This ^. After the Scott Wells nightmare, I don't want another injury-plagued, old center. I wouldn't really be enthused about taking him at the $$ value we offered Groy, and definitely not at the big $$ that is his asking price.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Maybe kromer just wanted his boy to get paid. They make a fair offer, if the bills pass the Rams get an ok Centre and if the bills match so be it. Groy wins either way.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No big deal. We can address the Center position in FA or the draft. I'm not worried about Kromer figuring it out. Groy was a UDFA and a cast-off before Kromer.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
No big deal. We can address the Center position in FA or the draft. I'm not worried about Kromer figuring it out. Groy was a UDFA and a cast-off before Kromer.

Sign John Sullivan to a one year deal and draft Jon Toth Kentucky.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would bet there are a few interior Ram reserve Ol'ers right now practicing being a center with the ball in their hand.;)

UFA John Sullivan was with McVay last season so he has inside information on John. He only started one game with the Skins last season. Reason was his multiple back surgeries in 2014 with the Vikings (Lumbar Microdiscectomy). Missed all of 2015 season due to those multiple back surgeries. In 2016 he couldn't make it through the first roster pre season cuts in Minnesota 2016 OL which was one of NFL worse in 2016. Skins lost their starting center so he landed with McVay. He may be a decent sign as a reserve at the moment.

Last edited:

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I think I'd pass on Sullivan.
I would take Sullivan as a bridge guy. He already knows McVay's system and he isn't getting too many offers, so he wouldn't be expensive. We just need a bridge/depth guy until we get the position finalized.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame

I'm trying to look at it that way jrry but damn it, I wanted Groy for insurance even if he ended up being a stop gap hair above average center. I put a "High Premium" on the Center position with our new QB still getting his feet wet.

It would be a jackpot if the Rams can find a 8-10 year center that Goff can grow with so maybe this will force the Rams to select one higher in the draft as opposed to the later rounds if Groy had ended up a Ram.

I was hoping a solid vet would be signed so we wouldn't have to worry about it for 2017, while a likely drafted rookie center was being groomed for 2018. Oh well fingers crossed a rookie stud falls in their lap on draft day..

I will try to look at this loss as A...............

blessins.jpg

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I would be fine to potentially throw a low pick out in a trade. As long as they stick to there potential production to value and don't over pay for a realitivly unproven player.

You know in this particular draft those late round selections are going to have more value than normal. There are going to be some players sliding into that range, even if it's some positions we don't need. I'd say RB for sure, which is a deep class, and which teams know they can get later in a normal draft let alone a deep one like this. Probably gonna be a nice TE or CB, S, etc that would be a midrounder in another draft, depending on how the selections go.

So personally I would not give up a pick to the bills for Groy. I'd let them overpay their backup and do what we should have done five years ago and draft a damn center. If they can get a good center prospect in here this line might be pretty nice right out the gate. So that's my hope.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Cross-train Wichmann imo.

Yep think he's the guy who probably already got a phone call from Kromer lol, tellin him to get ready mentally to move over. And it makes sense, since he will probably be an odd man out at OG. Both him and Donnal IMO.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
That's what I was coming to say. Sure there isn't much communication between the coaches and the players right now. But I bet most players hear those press conferences and when Mcvay said "cross train the guards and centers" I saw it as him telling those guys that this is their opportunity to come to OTA's with an ability to snap the ball. . . Mostly Wichmann.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
I'd rather go J Brown. Stronger than Wichmann. Pass protection for center requires less footwork at that position and more brute strength.

Agree with everyone else, sign Sullivan to a one year deal, 2nd year team option.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Cross-train Wichmann imo. Draft a Center early.

Wichmann makes the most sense, however, you would have to draft someone early either Pat Elflein or Jon Toth as you have suggested in different mocks.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd rather go J Brown. Stronger than Wichmann. Pass protection for center requires less footwork at that position and more brute strength.

Agree with everyone else, sign Sullivan to a one year deal, 2nd year team option.

Mentally, the game gets more difficult as you move towards the middle of the LOS. I think Brown is a better off at OG. And I'd like to have him there for Saffold's inevitable injury.

I also disagree on pass protection for the Center. Pass protection for the Center is based much more on footwork, knowledge of assignment/scheme, and hand use (and grip strength) than brute strength. It's why you often see the guys who are too small to play OG shift inside.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
It's why you often see the guys who are too small to play OG shift inside.
Nah, easier to see and throw over a guy 6'1" than 6'5". Tho that didn't matter for Sadford.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Mentally, the game gets more difficult as you move towards the middle of the LOS. I think Brown is a better off at OG. And I'd like to have him there for Saffold's inevitable injury.

I also disagree on pass protection for the Center. Pass protection for the Center is based much more on footwork, knowledge of assignment/scheme, and hand use (and grip strength) than brute strength. It's why you often see the guys who are too small to play OG shift inside.

"based much more on footwork, knowledge of assignment/scheme, and hand use (and grip strength) than brute strength" You may have just described Andrew Donnal. If I am Kromer I am grooming J.Brown to replace Saffold day one of Training Camp! Cody Wichmann is looking for a roster spot badly now with the GRob addition to the right side. So you would have to consider him too. Like I said a couple of day ago don't forget interior OL David Arkin either he has some center in him.

Another UFA who has some center in him is UFA former starting OG for the Saints Tim Lelito.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nah, easier to see and throw over a guy 6'1" than 6'5". Tho that didn't matter for Sadford.

That would go just as much for OGs as it does Center. You're much more often throwing over the OGs than the Center. The reason the smaller guys get moved to Center is that they're more often taking on blitzers or doubling with another OL than facing a guy 1-on-1. Thus, it's best to have a technically sound and smart guy there than a big, strong dude. Look at how many 325+ pound OGs there are. Now, look at how many 325+ pound Centers there are.