Rams make 2y offer to RFA Center Ryan Groy(Buffalo)/Bills match offer

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"based much more on footwork, knowledge of assignment/scheme, and hand use (and grip strength) than brute strength" You may have just described Andrew Donnal. If I am Kromer I am grooming J.Brown to replace Saffold day one of Training Camp! Cody Wichmann is looking for a roster spot badly now with the GRob addition to the right side. So you would have to consider him too. Like I said a couple of day ago don't forget interior OL David Arkin either he has some center in him.

Another UFA who has some center in him is UFA former starting OG for the Saints Tim Lelito.

Yep, Lelito is a guy we might look into, as he filled in decently for Max Unger this year.

I think, as you pointed out, Donnal's height might hurt him a tad. But then again, he's only just over half an inch taller than Wichmann.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
What if the Ram tender was merely an opening move to acquire Groy?

If the Bills don't match, we get a starting C at a very affordable price.

Now that the Bills matched, what about a trade where we throw them that Raven 7th we got for Givens? Then we've still got that same starting C at that same very affordable rate.

Rams win.

Bills win.

Groy wins.

Almost makes too much sense, huh?

My understanding was that once Bills match, there's nothing we can do.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
We want NO bridge players with past BACK injuries. Thats the worst RED FLAG you can get. Not just kinda worried about our #94 but VERY. You never come back from back surgeries. Just watch Watt after 2 in a row, I've had 2 and to think Quinn can do his bend around the corner anymore to sack a QB is almost insane thinking.

No Sullivan or Mangold. Totally Run from them. Lets offer our 7th if not already and Toth is a weightroom year at least away from starting on our OL. Elflein from OSU would be our 2nd or super lucky if he drops to our 3rd rounder. Personally don't see it. Nor would that be my plan with so many ways it can go wrong. Folks know we have Need now. I like Kromer taking young Wichman and making a stud who has played center before into a diamond. So tired of all the Boudreau love we saw wasted here. we may already have our guy and Groy was just a backup pure and simple. Now we draft that backup where we would have used that pick in 6-7 other ways with all our depth needs.

I'm more shocked at giving up on BC for Dunbar over losing Groy. Kromer was as much sought out by you guys here on this board than any FA we have picked up. Lets see him work his magic. Plus our STUD OLT only practices once a week and the extra help he will give in training up our guys will show as it did in the Bengals OL, that has had so many sought after players this off season. I see no coincedince in that at all as Mountain man only practiced once a day for the Bengals all season. McVay will assure Goff and Gurley will have an OL and the nightmare we saw for years under fish is OVER.

No crips with Back issues on our OL. No wasted money there. Its Wichman and some will scream but any player coached at IOWA is the best OL school in America in MPO. We have one in the ORT that played for them and Donnal can do anything asked of him. I believe he will end up starting for us in another spot after Kromer see's what we have. May not get the best prospects but that head coach and his son use the NFL system to a "T" and very low ceilings out of IOWA OL. Wisconsin gets better young men on average but the history of IOWA OL is unmatched. Yes I'm aware of a couple duds. No need to show me the over hyped.
I'm an SEC guy too by the way. Bama gets top picks as does OSU but what they teach and how at IOWA is very special. Coach has turned down the NFL many times to stay there coaching with his son. McVay and the Skins took an IOWA kid #1(top 6 I think) just as we grabbed Havenstein and the rest. Lets just see what we do next. Shalom.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Meh Rhaney was a round 6, those late round guys are very low percentage hits even for centers. But Jones was a miss, no doubt.

I want to see the Rams invest some draft capital into the position. This year's center class isn't insane like some other positions, so they're probably going to need to maneuver around to marry up value and need at the position. Might need to reach more than they want to, as well, if they decide they covet one of them.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Bummer, I was hoping they would let him be a starter, but they have plans for him. There will be another Bills player on the market then unless they decide to carry 11.

I trust the staff will find a replacement. If all else fails, Timmy is still there.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
He would have been a nice addition, but offering less money than Tim Barnes on average over two years indicates they did not think he was the long term solution at center.

On the bright side both McVay and Kroemer successfully converted a 6'5 career guards to center last year with good results. Maybe they see some center potential in Donnal, Wichman, or Brown. Saffold's injury history is concerning, but we have to put the best 5 on the field if Brown ends up being the best option at center.

Last edited:

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
If all else fails, Timmy is still there.

IMG_1295.PNG

I dunno bro. He has an injury history. We should look for better.

jjab360

Legend
How likely is that though? Seems far fetched.
I may be wrong but I feel like there's a history of it happening. Might be the Bills only reason for matching was so that they could get something out of losing him kind of like it seemed like we were trying to do with TruJo.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I like all the moves.The center position will be solved. This guy was not all that.Worth a try though.

Glad The Rams got Connor Barwin. He fits the Olb position & can mentor.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
What are the centres like in this year's draft? I've not looked into them yet - nobody jumps out at me though...

Draft
Elfein
Pocic
Roullier
Orlosky
Toth
Fuller
Wheeler

FA
Mangold
Sullivan
Johnson
Wallace

Anybody worth pulling the trigger for - or are we looking at converting a G?