Rams make 2y offer to RFA Center Ryan Groy(Buffalo)/Bills match offer

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
That's what you get for lowballing. If you want the player, pay for him. Cheap bastards.
I'm so tired of this narrative. Everyone is always complaining we overpay for talent but when the front office plays it smart on a player our oline coach knows well all the sudden they are cheap bastards. Given what Kromer should know plenty about groy an an that's all they were willing to spend one woukd imagine there's good reason. Had we paid more and groy flopped worse then Barnes these same people would be back to the overpaying narrative. Ya cant have both sorry

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
A lot of anger here. Buffalo is just doing what is best for their team. Give it time - the kid can still be traded.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!

Zero

Pro Bowler
Lol how did they go cheap on this? They offered double what he was offered from Buffalo. I don't get that complaint.
The Rams offered him a backups salary.Groys cap number is 2.5 mil. this year.
Bills are paying their starting center,Woods 7.5 million this year.
If the Rams felt like Groy could be our starter,they should have offered more than
they did.

Maybe the Rams didn't view him as a starter.That is the only way this makes sense.
This one has me scratching my head a bit.

MachS

Hall of Fame
I'm so tired of this narrative. Everyone is always complaining we overpay for talent but when the front office plays it smart on a player our oline coach knows well all the sudden they are cheap bastards. Given what Kromer should know plenty about groy an an that's all they were willing to spend one woukd imagine there's good reason. Had we paid more and groy flopped worse then Barnes these same people would be back to the overpaying narrative. Ya cant have both sorry

I get what you're saying 100% but the whole playing it smart theory goes out the window when they match. Of course he can still flop and end up not being a good player but all signs point to the contrary.

I think not overpaying is more important when you have a lot of other players you need to sign. Free agency is winding down, and we still have a decent amount of cap room. We've made our big impact singing already. IMO he's the younger, bigger, and better fit to Mangold at this point in his career. And he has to be a better option than a rookie Center right?

IDK I'm kind of frustrated with this. I think Les is trying to flex and got too cute here..JMO.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Reading this board you'd think we just missed out on a Hall of Fame center.

Reality is this guy is marginal. But hey I might be crazy right? So just look at the level the Bills tendered him at. Or the contract the Rams offered which was quite low, and keep in mind that was supposedly the winning bid from four teams' interest.

Rams were still going to draft a center and probably start him. Groy was insurance, a backup/marginal starter who could be a fallback to allow them to not go into the draft with big need there. I'm surprised the Bills matched it, but who knows maybe it's an FU to the line coach who left idk, since it was a very affordable deal.

And now that people are going to start raising the value of other options I'll observe again that those guys are all NOT answers for us. Upgrading from Timmy is not the goal. Upgrading to a good starting quality center is the goal. Stay focused people! :p

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
The Rams offered him a backups salary.Groys cap number is 2.5 mil. this year.
Bills are paying their starting center,Woods 7.5 million this year.
If the Rams felt like Groy could be our starter,they should have offered more than
they did.

Maybe the Rams didn't view him as a starter.That is the only way this makes sense.
This one has me scratching my head a bit.

Agree. Could have at least matched Barnes $3.mil (two years-$6.mil) former salary. I believe Groy has a higher ceiling than Barnes ever did when he was pushed into the starting role. jmo.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
I get what you're saying 100% but the whole playing it smart theory goes out the window when they match. Of course he can still flop and end up not being a good player but all signs point to the contrary.

I think not overpaying is more important when you have a lot of other players you need to sign. Free agency is winding down, and we still have a decent amount of cap room. We've made our big impact singing already. IMO he's the younger, bigger, and better fit to Mangold at this point in his career. And he has to be a better option than a rookie Center right?

IDK I'm kind of frustrated with this. I think Les is trying to flex and got too cute here..JMO.

How does it go out the window if they match? The whole playing it smart is putting down the money your willing to spend, not a penny more and if they match so be it. They did their research and came to said number and didn't panic and overspend just to go a avg to potentially below average player.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
We still have options....

Let's remember that Groy was an undrafted guy who excelled under Kromer - maybe a guy drafted this year or a guy that's currently on our roster now can show equal promise under Kromer as well.
Hell we mighy even draft 2 Centers

Going to get another 6 pack now

Last edited:

Zero

Pro Bowler
How does it go out the window if they match? The whole playing it smart is putting down the money your willing to spend, not a penny more and if they match so be it. They did their research and came to said number and didn't panic and overspend just to go a avg to potentially below average player.
That's the only thing I can figure.They just didn't value him as much
as some of us thought.Kromer spent time with him,so he knows what the kid is worth.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Reading this board you'd think we just missed out on a Hall of Fame center.

Reality is this guy is marginal. But hey I might be crazy right? So just look at the level the Bills tendered him at. Or the contract the Rams offered which was quite low, and keep in mind that was supposedly the winning bid from four teams' interest.

Rams were still going to draft a center and probably start him. Groy was insurance, a backup/marginal starter who could be a fallback to allow them to not go into the draft with big need there. I'm surprised the Bills matched it, but who knows maybe it's an FU to the line coach who left idk, since it was a very affordable deal.

And now that people are going to start raising the value of other options I'll observe again that those guys are all NOT answers for us. Upgrading from Timmy is not the goal. Upgrading to a good starting quality center is the goal. Stay focused people! :p
Agreed we can no longer play the good ole Fisher plan of putting lipstick on a pig. We need to fix the issues and quit just patching holes with dollar store tape

Zero

Pro Bowler
Agreed we can no longer play the good ole Fisher plan of putting lipstick on a pig. We need to fix the issues and quit just patching holes with dollar store tape
Hey Rabid.What if they turn around and trade for him,for a low
pick.They get the kid at a reduced rate,Bills get a pick out of the deal
and everybody is happy.A prearranged deal.
Yea I know I am being goofy,but if that were the case
I would be calling Snead a Genius.LOL

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Hey Rabid.What if they turn around and trade for him,for a low
pick.They get the kid at a reduced rate,Bills get a pick out of the deal
and everybody is happy.A prearranged deal.
Yea I know I am being goofy,but if that were the case
I would be calling Snead a Genius.LOL
I would be fine to potentially throw a low pick out in a trade. As long as they stick to there potential production to value and don't over pay for a realitivly unproven player.

One of our biggest issues for a while now is paying to much for what we get. I'm liking the new regime so far. They seem to have an idea on what they want and what it's worth to them.

MachS

Hall of Fame

From a business perspective I agree with you, we didn't take an unnecessary risk financially. But I'm wondering if we were trying to get him at a bargain, and arrived at that number not necessarily from what we thought he was worth, but what we thought Buffalo would spend.

Who knows, but regardless how do you evaluate which is the better decision? Spending an extra million to get him versus the potential performance dropoff of settling for Mangold or a rookie? The unknown is what's risky to me and Kromer knows this guy.

Zero

Pro Bowler
I would be fine to potentially throw a low pick out in a trade. As long as they stick to there potential production to value and don't over pay for a realitivly unproven player.

One of our biggest issues for a while now is paying to much for what we get. I'm liking the new regime so far. They seem to have an idea on what they want and what it's worth to them.
Yes they do,and it's been a long time comin,Brother.