Rams Injury Updates 2020

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The Rams placed Noteboom (calf) on injured reserve Wednesday, Kevin Modesti of the Los Angeles Daily News reports.

With the new rules going into affect this season, Noteboom will now have to miss a minimum of three games on IR. The injury occurred in the second half of Sunday's win against the Eagles, and as evidenced by this news, appears to be somewhat serious. David Edwards is expected to handle depth guard duties on the offensive line as long as Noteboom is sidelined.

Rotoworld says may be placed on IR. The CBS says he's on but the guy they cite says McVay indicated he'd go on the IR but McVay's actual quote was he may go on short term IR. Boom still hasn't gone on IR, I only looked to find out who we promoted to occupy the roster spot.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Rams injury report: Guard Joe Noteboom likely headed to injured reserve
Noteboom will likely miss three weeks with a calf injury
By Bill Williamson

The Rams’ offense will be without a key player for at least three weeks as coach Sean McVay said Wednesday left guard Joe Noteboom will likely be put on the injured reserve.

Noteboom left the win over Philadelphia on Sunday with a calf injury.

Everybody participated in today’s walkthrough, but the Rams will give Aaron Donald and Whit a rest day and rest Malcolm Brown (finger) and Darious Williams (achilles tendinitis) as well as Cam Akers (ribs). Sean McVay says Joe Noteboom will probably go on short term IR soon.
— Jourdan Rodrigue (@JourdanRodrigue) September 23, 2020
The minimum stay on the injured reserve is three weeks. Therefore, Noteboom could return in Week 6 at San Francisco, assuming he is put on the injured reserve before Sunday’s game at Buffalo. It is likely David Edwards will replace Noteboom.

The rest of the Rams’ injury news (see above tweet) isn’t bad. The only question is whether rookie starting running back Cam Akers will be able to play against the Bills this weekend. He is day-to-day with a ribs injury that he suffered against the Eagles. If Akers can’t play, Darrell Henderson will start for him. Henderson had 81 rushing yards vs. Philadelphia in place of Akers.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"Anyway, can’t imagine playing RB in the NFL with separated rib cartilage. That would hurt like a MF’er. Glad they have powerful pain masking medication, but still..."

As long as the doctor doesn't puncture your lung giving you the injection. :ROFLMAO:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think I know why you didn't use the blue font.
You just couldn't find a shade of Blue dark enough to represent the
amount of sarcasm you wanted to apply to that statement.
Don't blame you, he would be one of the very last coaches I would want
to leave our staff.
If the Rams fired him, I don't think he would last a week before being hired elsewhere.

It’s just nice to see what he has meant to The Rams. Especially coming into the Buffalo game. Zak has been solid as well. I’ve liked Dickerson as well. He is hands on,but not touchy feels like the Perv that is now in Philly. Saw Ted Rath doing his thing Sunday.
ast season was tough with Mcvay not bringing in a true O.C.Every season they get poached by other teams.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think I know why you didn't use the blue font.
You just couldn't find a shade of Blue dark enough to represent the
amount of sarcasm you wanted to apply to that statement.
Don't blame you, he would be one of the very last coaches I would want
to leave our staff.
If the Rams fired him, I don't think he would last a week before being hired elsewhere.

A few months ago someone listed Kromer's successful Oline groups over the years. They all consisted of two or three good inherited veterans or veterans from other teams. There is this idea that he's a great talent evaluator and very good with coaching up young players. But there is not a lot of evidence of it in the past. Even with our great/almost great 2017/2018 Oline he inherited Saffold, Havenstein, Whitworth and Sullivan. Most successful lines in the NFL have at least two very good players, sometimes three. It masks the deficiencies of the lesser players.

The only problem I see in releasing him in favor of another is who do you hire. I thought McVay would bring in Bill Callahan. Some of us were very hopeful. If Loney can keep getting hired its proof that NFL teams are desperate to hire any O line coach.

People don't understand what a grade 2 muscle strain is. It's just short of a complete tear or muscular rupture. It's not something you just rest for a week or two. If they bring him back too early they can really hurt him. Normally a grade 2 strain takes at least a month to heal then there is several weeks of rehab. Don't believe me? Here's a quote from an HSS a professional orthopedic service.

Grade 2: More extensive damage with more muscle fibers involved. However, the muscle is not completely ruptured. These injuries present with significant loss of strength and motion. These injuries may require two to three months before a complete return to athletics.

Who are the Ram's kidding? He's got to be IR'd at this point. Who are the Rams kidding? 3 months means he wouldn't play until January. This is why you don't play guys out of position, i.e. who don't have the physical metrics for the position. They have Evans and Shelton who are built like OGs why not play them? This is why I'm concerned about playing Edwards who is even taller than Noteboom at OG. It's why he struggled to play low last year. OG is about playing with leverage and that means keeping your pads low. Edwards at 6'6" has problems playing that way. Both Noteboom and Edwards are natural OT's. The Rams will need both next year.

Anchrum is built like a center but they have him practicing as a LT?

I tend to agree. As much as I like Edwards over Noteboom, he looks more like an ORT to me. Anchrum looks like a center and I had hoped he'd be the backup center to Blythe over Allen. I mentioned before that its possible they see Corbett playing Center in the future. There is an emphasis on mobility with the blocking scheme they are using, which makes it even more puzzling that they'd draft Edwards to play guard. Either way, I hope Edwards can lock down the guard position and block Noteboom from taking it back.

Rams injury report: Guard Joe Noteboom likely headed to injured reserve
Noteboom will likely miss three weeks with a calf injury
By Bill Williamson

The Rams’ offense will be without a key player for at least three weeks as coach Sean McVay said Wednesday left guard Joe Noteboom will likely be put on the injured reserve.

Noteboom left the win over Philadelphia on Sunday with a calf injury.

The minimum stay on the injured reserve is three weeks. Therefore, Noteboom could return in Week 6 at San Francisco, assuming he is put on the injured reserve before Sunday’s game at Buffalo. It is likely David Edwards will replace Noteboom.

The rest of the Rams’ injury news (see above tweet) isn’t bad. The only question is whether rookie starting running back Cam Akers will be able to play against the Bills this weekend. He is day-to-day with a ribs injury that he suffered against the Eagles. If Akers can’t play, Darrell Henderson will start for him. Henderson had 81 rushing yards vs. Philadelphia in place of Akers.

I don't know much about separated rib cartilage, but it sounds like a long slow recovery. He said he's had the problem since his last year in college, and it isn't better yet? So I doubt it would be good for him to play at all. Masking pain of injured ribs to play RB in the NFL sounds like a bad idea. And with an existing injury it causes me to question the wisdom of using A second round pick on him. Maybe it isn't as bad as I'm speculating?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
2020 season David Edwards PFF grade 61.2 from only 29 snaps- zero penalties zero sacks allowed.

2020 season Joseph Noteboom PFF grade 42.4 from 113 snaps with one sack allowed.

With all the bad news on Noteboom & the likelihood of being IR'd for a period of time(back to back season IR'd).....Edwards will now getting his 2nd opportunity to secure a starting position @ LG.

I not sure why Kromer just does not like this ex-college starting OT David Edwards in this position. Just makes good sense to me. This time I hope he will leave him there & let him grow into a very solid NFL LG.

Edwards had a small adjustment period when he came in. His first few snaps were not as good as the rest. So I'd say with only 29 snaps it would affect his grade and think aside from his slow start his grade would be even higher.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Edwards had a small adjustment period when he came in. His first few snaps were not as good as the rest. So I'd say with only 29 snaps it would affect his grade and think aside from his slow start his grade would be even higher.
I agree. I believe it would work well for Kromer if he would finally tell David Edwards this LG post is his & let him take it from here plus take full advantage of playing next to an all-pro like Whitworth.

Rookie David Edwards did not have that luxury last season when most of his starts came when he was working a duo with another rookie Bobby Evans @ RT in 2019.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
tough with Mcvay not bringing in a true O.C

IMO That has been one of the most understated issues from last year.
I think it affected Goff with his mechanics, but I think it affected McVay just as much.
I have no problems calling plays by myself, but when you have another offensive mind that you trust
with you on game day, It can make a huuuge difference.
Your calling plays you may not have called on your own. You have instant feedback.
another set of eyes on the D and it just seems like it makes it so much easier
to get in that rhythm or zone. You have two minds double teaming the DC.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
A few months ago someone listed Kromer's successful Oline groups over the years. They all consisted of two or three good inherited veterans or veterans from other teams. There is this idea that he's a great talent evaluator and very good with coaching up young players. But there is not a lot of evidence of it in the past. Even with our great/almost great 2017/2018 Oline he inherited Saffold, Havenstein, Whitworth and Sullivan. Most successful lines in the NFL have at least two very good players, sometimes three. It masks the deficiencies of the lesser players.

I think Kromer did a good job last year considering the circumstances and I think
he has our oline playing well now.
He also has been strapped down having to be our run/OC. Which I never cared for.
No position coach should ever have coordinating responsibilities. Especially at
this level.
We have already seen McVay has no qualms about replacing coaches that he is
not satisfied with. I truly believe that if Kromer was a weak link in any shape or form
he would not be here. JMHO.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Shame about Noteboom's injury but considering that Edwards was an improvement at LG when he stepped up, I'm not nervous at all going into Sunday.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
IMO That has been one of the most understated issues from last year.
I think it affected Goff with his mechanics, but I think it affected McVay just as much.
I have no problems calling plays by myself, but when you have another offensive mind that you trust
with you on game day, It can make a huuuge difference.
Your calling plays you may not have called on your own. You have instant feedback.
another set of eyes on the D and it just seems like it makes it so much easier
to get in that rhythm or zone. You have two minds double teaming the DC.

Adding to the coaching staff big.Waldron was out of his element.

Kromer is one of the best O”Line coaches & has can concentrate more there. The Rams were very inexperienced going into 2020.

McSnead got burned pressing there luck. The Depth upfront was be against the Eagles. Last season Edwards would have been lost.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Shame about Noteboom's injury but considering that Edwards was an improvement at LG when he stepped up, I'm not nervous at all going into Sunday.

who is the next guard up ?? Not that I want to find out about the depth chart.

J. Kolone is sitting on the door step ?
Brian Allen is in line at some point.
Still not sold on either at Guard,but Blythe seems like the choice to play RG ?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

More injury rehab lies in Joe Noteboom‘s future. After recovering from ACL and MCL tears to return to the Rams’ starting lineup, the team’s top left guard will return to IR.

The Rams shelved Noteboom for at least three weeks after he suffered a Grade 2 calf strain against the Eagles. This will provide another interruption to the former third-round pick’s run as a starter. After letting Rodger Saffold head elsewhere in free agency, Rams turned to the TCU product last season. Noteboom started six games but went on IR after his knee injury. However, he returned in time for Week 1 of his third NFL season and has started both Rams games thus far. Los Angeles has used 2019 trade acquisition Austin Corbett as its other guard starter. David Edwards, a 2019 fifth-round pick, replaced Noteboom last week and is expected to start opposite Corbett on Sunday in Buffalo.

(y):)OC/OG Jeremiah Kolone is back again for the third straight season on the Practice Squad. Was sorta thinking they might sign an LT from someone's PS.....guess they are a very rare commodity these days in the NFL. Cabral was a starting LT for 2 seasons???

LB'ers Natrez Patrick is back on the active roster again.

Last edited:

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29

More injury rehab lies in Joe Noteboom‘s future. After recovering from ACL and MCL tears to return to the Rams’ starting lineup, the team’s top left guard will return to IR.

The Rams shelved Noteboom for at least three weeks after he suffered a Grade 2 calf strain against the Eagles. This will provide another interruption to the former third-round pick’s run as a starter. After letting Rodger Saffold head elsewhere in free agency, Rams turned to the TCU product last season. Noteboom started six games but went on IR after his knee injury. However, he returned in time for Week 1 of his third NFL season and has started both Rams games thus far. Los Angeles has used 2019 trade acquisition Austin Corbett as its other guard starter. David Edwards, a 2019 fifth-round pick, replaced Noteboom last week and is expected to start opposite Corbett on Sunday in Buffalo.

(y):)OC/OG Jeremiah Kolone is back again for the third straight season on the Practice Squad. Was sorta thinking they might sign an LT from someone's PS.....guess they are a very rare commodity these days in the NFL. Cabral was a starting LT for 2 seasons???

LB'ers Natrez Patrick is back on the active roster again.

Hope Natrez gets some defensive snaps.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A few months ago someone listed Kromer's successful Oline groups over the years. They all consisted of two or three good inherited veterans or veterans from other teams.

But really, wouldn't that be just about every OL Coach at just about every job they've ever had? Most teams have a few good O-Linemen, and I can't remember a team ever going with all Rookie and 2nd year players on the O-Line.