Rams Injury Updates 2020

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Andrew Whitworth heads to IR, but Los Angeles Rams hopeful he can return in 6-8 weeks
Los Angeles Rams coach Sean McVay said Monday that left tackle Andrew Whitworth, safety Taylor Rapp and kicker Kai Forbath will be placed on injured reserve after each suffered significant injuries in a 26-13 victory over the Seattle Seahawks on Sunday.

Whitworth, who was carted off the field in the second quarter, has a grade 3 MCL and PCL tear, but McVay expressed optimism that the 15-year-pro will be able to return in six to eight weeks."We were all worried it was for sure going to be season-ending," McVay said. "And that's not going to be the case."

Whitworth, who turns 39 next month, will be replaced by third-year pro Joe Noteboom, whom the Rams selected with a third-round pick in 2018."He was somebody that we always anticipated when we drafted him out of TCU that he could be a big-time player at the tackle spot," McVay said about Noteboom, who started two games at left guard this season before he was placed on injured reserve because of a calf injury. The Rams activated Noteboom last week.

Rapp, who has started five games this season, departed Sunday's game in the first half after he suffered a grade 2 MCL sprain, McVay said. He will miss at least three to four weeks, according to McVay."It definitely is a big loss with Taylor," McVay said. "I thought he was really playing well."

Rapp has an interception and a forced fumble. In a defense that often utilizes three safeties, backup Nick Scott -- mostly a special teams player -- could be called upon to play alongside John Johnson III and rookie Jordan Fuller.

Forbath, who has appeared in two games since the Rams signed him last month, has a sprained ankle. No time frame was provided for his return.McVay said the Rams will sign kicker Matt Gay from the Indianapolis Colts practice squad to compete with Austin MacGinnis, currently on the Rams' practice squad, for the open spot.

Under 2020 rules, players are eligible to return from injured reserve after three weeks. The Rams are 6-3 and will play the 7-3 Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Raymond James Stadium in Week 11 on Monday Night Football.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Look guys. I'm telling you that Whit will not play again this season.
At the VERY LEAST, he'll give it a try during our first playoff game, and will realize it hurts and is not stable.

We all love Whit. But his season is over. I promise.
I wish I was wrong.

edit: No I do not claim to have a crystal ball. This is only my opinion based on what I saw the night of the injury during that particular play, and Whit's demeanor afterwards when headed to the locker room.

dang

Legend
At the VERY LEAST, he'll give it a try during our first playoff game, and will realize it hurts and is not stable.

I wish I was wrong.

edit: No I do not claim to have a crystal ball. This is only my opinion based on what I saw the night of the injury during that particular play, and Whit's demeanor afterwards when headed to the locker room.
Thanks. you have stated your opinion emphatically.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame

I wish I was wrong.

Great googly moogly, give it a rest already!

I'd give ya a pass if you'd man up and eat some crow, but to come on here and still troll us with "his season is over" even after you've been proven wrong? You keep saying you "promise" you know Whit's condition better than the Rams' team doctors, even though it's beyond obvious you have no idea what you're talking about?

You seem like a friendly dude and all, so why are you indulging your inner troll? When your wife gets home from clothes shopping, do you tell her, "Honey, those new jeans make you look fat!" Do you not understand basic social rules?

Trying to be lighthearted, but WTF, man! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

BriansRams

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Great googly moogly, give it a rest already!

I'd give ya a pass if you'd man up and eat some crow, but to come on here and still troll us with "his season is over" even after you've been proven wrong? You keep saying you "promise" you know Whit's condition better than the Rams' team doctors, even though it's beyond obvious you have no idea what the hell you're talking about?

You seem like a friendly dude and all, so why are you indulging your inner troll? When your wife gets home from clothes shopping, do you tell her, "Honey, those new jeans make you look fat!" Do you not understand basic social rules?

Trying to be lighthearted, but WTF, man! :ROFLMAO:

Hmmm. Yes, I do kinda feel I'm a friendly person, and a devout Rams fan. You'll notice if you look at any of my posts past and present that I never attack another poster. I at times completely disagree with them, but never attack them or call them names. I've never even called anyone a troll on this board.

May I ask you to take a good look at yourself and ask yourself WHY you get so vehemently angry because some guy states his opinion or prediction? How does it hurt you in any way? Really that's all it is. I'll be here front and center on this thread if Whit comes back and plays this season, to, as you say, eat crow. That's how strongly I feel about my armchair diagnosis of Whit's injury. At his age, at his physical size, at the position he plays, he will not play again this season! Will you be here if my opinion and prediction is correct? :giggle:

====== I don't wish this on Whit. I wish to hell he never got injured, or even that he can come back in 7 weeks and play well for us. But I don't see that happening. I hope I'm wrong about it. Great googly moogly!

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I tore my MCL in high school. A was back to normal in about 6 weeks. I was 18 and not 39 though.

His 38 or 39 is probably nearly as good as my 18...That's probably not totally true because I was in great shape back then, but you get my drift...So many elite athletes these days are such physical specimens that they come back to playing NFL football sooner than I would even be getting going on rehab for a lot of these injuries...Good news for them is that they also have access to the best trainers, doctors and equipment that most of us can only dream of...Wow, that got overly long and kind of disjointed...Sorry, I'm guilty of that sometimes...

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Hmmm. Yes, I do kinda feel I'm a friendly person, and a devout Rams fan. You'll notice if you look at any of my posts past and present that I never attack another poster. I at times completely disagree with them, but never attack them or call them names. I've never even called anyone a troll on this board.

May I ask you to take a good look at yourself and ask yourself WHY you get so vehemently angry because some guy states his opinion or prediction? How does it hurt you in any way? Really that's all it is. I'll be here front and center on this thread if Whit comes back and plays this season, to, as you say, eat crow. That's how strongly I feel about my armchair diagnosis of Whit's injury. At his age, at his physical size, at the position he plays, he will not play again this season! Will you be here if my opinion and prediction is correct? :giggle:

====== I don't wish this on Whit. I wish to hell he never got injured, or even that he can come back in 7 weeks and play well for us. But I don't see that happening. I hope I'm wrong about it. Great googly moogly!
not trying to be disrespectful but you stated your opinion after Whit got injured. Now the Rams say there's a good chance he may be back. Why don't we leave it at that. You don't have to keep reminding us your opinion on it, we got it, you don't think he can make it back.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame

Aw crap, I’m sorry dude. I didn’t like your post, but I should have done better at making it seem less personal. I sure didn’t mean to come across as “vehemently angry”, cuz I’m not.

I have no doubt you are both a friendly guy and a passionate longtime Rams fan.

And yes, I’ll be here to eat crow if Whit is unable to play again this season. But I’ve rehabbed from three separate sports-related knee surgeries, and I trust the docs know what they’re talking about with timelines. I also trust you will be here to eat crow if the opposite is true, and gladly so!

Lastly — I’ll certainly take your word for it that you are not intentionally trying to troll anyone, and I’m sorry for implying you were. But between the “I promise Whit is done” thread and the “would you trade goff for Wilson” thread, I wish you were less good at “accidentally” riling ppl up! Bottom line though, again, my apologies.

Last edited:

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
MCL 3rd Grade can comeback anywhere between 4 and 8 weeks normally.

Now Rams get close or look like we're going to be in playoffs, I think Whit is out there in that time frame 6 to 8.,If no playoffs in sight,we're out,just rest him till next year.

BTW when someone post a Ram Player is Done, especially posting it without a Medical Report, They Should some Expect some Heat is coming.

This isn't a Hags Whiner or Cards Board Right ???

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
not trying to be disrespectful but you stated your opinion after Whit got injured. Now the Rams say there's a good chance he may be back. Why don't we leave it at that. You don't have to keep reminding us your opinion on it, we got it, you don't think he can make it back.

This all day!!! (y)

The dead horse has been beaten, drawn and quartered.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Personally, I'm hoping that NoteBOOM is playing at such a high level that they don't risk bringing back Whit. Boom is our future, Whit is likely retiring this offseason.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Personally, I'm hoping that NoteBOOM is playing at such a high level that they don't risk bringing back Whit. Boom is our future, Whit is likely retiring this offseason.
Since they're such a large amount of salary-cap $$$ involved/tied to Andrew Whitworth in the 2021 cap & even $$$ in 2022 it is evident the Ram Org. has already planned to have AW under contract & available to play in 2021 @ some capacity.

My thoughts here is if AW is physically able to recover to full health in that left knee & desires to continue to play in 2021 @ 39/40 yrs old.......AW will be an active OL'er for this 2021 Ram team mainly here to provide veteran leadership to a very young OL cadre. My thoughts here are AW will be utilized mainly as a top reserve to youngsters Noteboom & Edwards @ LT/LG in case of injury to those two.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Since they're such a large amount of salary-cap $$$ involved/tied to Andrew Whitworth in the 2021 cap & even $$$ in 2022 it is evident the Ram Org. has already planned to have AW under contract & available to play in 2021 @ some capacity.

My thoughts here is if AW is physically able to recover to full health in that left knee & desires to continue to play in 2021 @ 39/40 yrs old.......AW will be an active OL'er for this 2021 Ram team mainly here to provide veteran leadership to a very young OL cadre. My thoughts here are AW will be utilized mainly as a top reserve to youngsters Noteboom & Edwards @ LT/LG in case of injury to those two.
Looking at it 2021 isn't a bad thing if he retires, slight cap relief and 2022 is golden then of course. Looks like if I'm reading correct base salary of $7 million in 2021 and his roster bonus is guaranteed for $2.5 million (no idea how retirement affects that) and prorated signing bonus of $2.33 million so that would save a little over a million next year again not knowing how retirement affects guaranteed roster bonuses. I've been wrong before but it doesn't look that bad in 2021, yes I'd like to have him still if he's healthy and wants to play though.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck

I think it's probably the way you say that you, "promise" when there's no way you can.

Also, the way you try to diagnose better than a team doctor because of what you saw in a replay?

Also we're trying to keep a positive attitude about a player that we absolutely love while you're promising and diagnosing without really knowing diddley.

I can only speak for myself here but those would be my guesses.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'd still bring back Whit. Even if Noteboom is a stud, you can find ways to use Whit. Imagine him as a 6th OL in heavy packages.

BriansRams

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
I think it's probably the way you say that you, "promise" when there's no way you can.

Also, the way you try to diagnose better than a team doctor because of what you saw in a replay?

Also we're trying to keep a positive attitude about a player that we absolutely love while you're promising and diagnosing without really knowing diddley.

I can only speak for myself here but those would be my guesses.

I here ya. Choice of words probably not the greatest. So these next words will probably piss you off and I'm sorry for that.

Do you think that us "keeping a positive attitude" will heel his injury faster?

Yes I do promise Whit won't play again this season. And yes, there's no other way to spin it, in that in this case I do feel I know more than the team doctor ... and yes, from only watching the replay and Whit's reaction afterwards. THAT even sounds crazy to me as I re-read it, haha. But I'm right. I promise.

Tano

Legend
I here ya. Choice of words probably not the greatest. So these next words will probably piss you off and I'm sorry for that.

Do you think that us "keeping a positive attitude" will heel his injury faster?

Yes I do promise Whit won't play again this season. And yes, there's no other way to spin it, in that in this case I do feel I know more than the team doctor ... and yes, from only watching the replay and Whit's reaction afterwards. THAT even sounds crazy to me as I re-read it, haha. But I'm right. I promise.
From what I have read on the situation, I think you will be eating crow and probably gladly too.