Rams have slowly painted themselves into a corner and I don’t envy McVay right now…

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Not buying much of the OP’s premise, especially leading with “let’s be honest” it doesn’t make anything following it factual.

One thing that is factually correct, the Oline has been decimated and no one knows what the reality would be had they been healthy all year.

McVay didn’t forget how to coach. The FO and staff have been raided over the last 5 years. The players still have to perform.

The one thing I would change, quit using the preseason the way they do it. Everyone needs to knock the dust off, it should not be happening in regular season games.

On Von, he fucked over the Rams with his negotiations taking so long and leaving the Rams hanging. He said he was coming back and reneged, classless bitch.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
The Rams have a city to win over and a new stadium with all its beauty but is shared with another team. The Rams had to be the first team in So Fi to win a SB. So they went all in and shot their wad but it worked. The Rams won a Super Bowl in LA and there is not one other teams front office that would say it was a bad decision.
The Rams will be back, this is an injury problem we are going through and next season will be better.
I for one am going to watch every game till the end and I'm going to enjoy them and when I get down after a loss I will look on my wall and see the Rams Super Bowl poster.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I don't know why people are so quick to give up on Bruss. Offensive linemen take a while to grow into themselves, and Bruss was hurt, which slows his growth. I'm predicting that next year, he'll be our starting left guard and a fixture on the offensive line.

I'm not as concerned about McSnead's drafting. Atwell and Evans were clear misses, true, but I'd put our drafting on the third day up against any team, and I'm confident we'd come out ahead.

Honestly, this is just not our year, due to injuries ravaging our offensive line and important players. I say that we could trade some of our underperforming/unneeded players for extra picks in the offseason (and we're getting four compensatory picks - five, if Morris is signed as a HC), play the younger players this year, shut down Donald, Ramsey, Stafford, etc. , re-sign guys like Gaines and Gay, get a couple of interesting free agents (running back is particularly stacked), and focus on next year.

Last edited:

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Rams won the Super Bowl last year.

This year the team, particularly the OL, has been decimated by injuries.

The end.
Both of those statements are simultaneously true.

But you’re ignoring multiple warning flags that are waving and have been for some time.

Drafting
Play calling
Lack of genuine running game for several years.
Overreliance on 11 personnel packages. League has figured out how to stifle that.
Neglecting staffing TE room to permit legit 12 personnel packages.
Weak results for literally years from scouts in terms of yielding good RB’s, TE’s, OL, and Edge.
Puzzling decisions on which players to play or not play (Atwell, Akers, Rapp, Kendrick vs Brady, Evans, Carter, etc).

There’s more going on here than just OL injuries. The Emperor has no clothes.

I fervently hope that McVay does some SERIOUS self scouting this offseason. I want to see him and the Rams come roaring back in 2023.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
1668921679439.png

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Imo, the current problems are an accumulation of mistakes made by Snead, McVay, and Rams scouting dept.

First, let me stipulate that OL injuries this year have been catastrophic. Worst I can ever remember in any half-season going back to the 60’s. Such injuries would cripple ANY Offense in the league.

But I maintain that the OL injuries alone are not solely responsible for our plight. Hear me out.

Other factors, many of them, have cumulatively deprived Rams of other options that could have alleviated the current problems.

Let’s start by being objective about Snead’s drafting. It’s been largely mediocre for years. He hit an apparent HR with Jones, but what other near Pro Bowler has he drafted with his 2-4th round picks lately? Yeah, he’s found ‘starters’ but that’s kinda like picking the tallest midget, isn’t it? Others have posted articles breaking down our drafts in the premium (non-1st rounders) rounds and it’s been a rather paltry list since that great 2017 class.

I’m sure I’m in the minority on this one, but was that Von Miller trade really a long term positive for Rams? Sure, we won a SB with him, but we gave up a 2nd and a 3rd for half a season of Miller. And we might have won the SB without him, anyway. Meanwhile, we now miss the benefits that would have come from players taken with those premium picks for the next 10 years. Including this season, I might add. Then Rams compounded the problem by letting him get away without an early extension. Did Rams bungle the negotiations or did they prefer to let this so-called difference maker get away as part of the cost of doing business since they now had that beautiful Lombardi in their trophy case? Either way I call it a FO screwup and a big one, at that.

I may never get over the colossal error of drafting Atwell over Humphrey. Especially after Snead has stated that he learned his lesson after the Bobby Wagner fiasco. Was it Snead or, as I strongly suspect, McVay’s mistake? Either way the ripple effects of this mistake will be felt for 10 years. This was a classic unforced error. Maybe McVay should confine himself to outlining the types of players he likes at the respective positions and let Snead do the actual picking? Ya think?

Remember that scout (I think it was a scout) that was so excited about drafting Bruss that he jumped into the pool? THAT hasn’t aged well, has it? While I’m at it, why have Rams sucked at certain positions in their evals and picks for years? RB, TE, OL, and Edge specifically? And why has it been tolerated for years? I can understand some misses because drafting is an not an exact science. But year after year? Maybe Snead needs to take a hard look at his scouting dept in those areas? Duh!

I’m not gonna criticize Snead for his strategy of trading 1sts for proven players because I understand the rationale and I think it makes sense and is sustainable. But it IS predicated on hitting on a good amount of his 2nd-4th round picks and Snead hasn’t really been doing that. That has to change.

Now let’s talk about McVay for a little bit. Frankly, I LOVE him and think he’s the best Ram HC of my lifetime.

However…

He is far from perfect. For example, is he looking for the ‘right type’ of OL players and RB’s? I’m not so sure. Rams rushing attack has been rather pitiful since Gurley left if we’re being honest. That starts with the HC, y’all.

The current trend in the NFL is a resurgence of the running attack and away from the passing game and yet McVay stubbornly is bucking that trend. Many pundits have recently published on this topic. Want a recent prime example? McVay only ran the ball maybe 15 times behind his backup QB Wolford and an overmatched OL vs Cards. He literally set Wolford up for failure with that strategy. I rest my case.

Want more painting-in-corner examples? McVay either cannot or will not run 12 personnel sets because he doesn’t think that either Blanton or Hopkins can handle it. This 12 set attack might alleviate his OL current shortcomings and make Stafford’s life a lot easier. Whose fault is it that our TE room is so weakened? And btw, why not give this Carter kid a few snaps at either TE or FB? WTH is there to lose at this point?

Speaking of giving youngsters a chance, why not Atwell, McCutcheon, and Hardy? Again, what’s to lose at this point? McVay is too stubborn on such matters.

Also, McVay seems to be obsessed with adding Offensive skill players but seems to have a blind spot when it comes to his OL. Even when fully healthy this OL wasn’t keeping opposing DC’s up at night. So, if we’re being honest, this OL has been treated like a red headed stepchild for far too long. That’s on McVay.

Like I said up top, Rams have slowly painted themselves into this corner metaphorically for years and we’ve all been overlooking it because of the exciting winning seasons, the playoff appearances, and winning the last SB. Well, now the chickens have come home to roost. Time to face facts.

Solutions?

Get back to basics.

Snead has to draft better in rounds 2-4. He needs to shake up his scouting dept, maybe starting with the dude who jumped into the pool after drafting Bruss. Lol. The OL and RB would be great places to start the reload.

McVay needs to do some SERIOUS self evaluation. He needs to establish a credible running game or he’s finished. The league no longer fears his passing game by itself. He probably needs to let Snead pick the players at draft time, too. McVay should focus on what’s in his own lane.

MCVay needs to do a ruthless eval on his current asst coaches. Some of them are not producing needed results as was the case back in the day.

Glad I got that off my chest. I feel better now.

I don't necessarily disagree with your comments, but would you rather have all that or a super bowl ring for SB 56 and we address these issues next season?

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Yep. The were convinced Allen was the guy since 2020.

As for Bruss...come on. Dude was injured in camp for cryin' out loud.
Yep, and I’ve never been a big fan of Allen. Still not.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker

But you’re ignoring multiple warning flags that are waving and have been for some time.

Drafting
Play calling
Overreliance on 11 personnel packages. League has figured out how to stifle that.
Weak results for literally years from scouts in terms of yielding good RB’s, TE’s, OL, and Edge.
Puzzling decisions on which players to play or not play (Atwell, Akers, Rapp, Kendrick vs Brady, Evans, Carter, etc).

I fervently hope that McVay does some SERIOUS self scouting this offseason. I want to see him and the Rams come roaring back in 2023.
Such nonsense.

Before this year:

5 seasons
4 playoff appearances
3 division titles
2 Super Bowls
1 Championship

Now, despite the most obvious reason (injuries, particularly on OL), you’ve decided that there is a deep rooted problem that’s been percolating for years.

Please.

The Emperor is fully clothed.

The problem is you, and other fans who childishly demand near perfection, ignore the obvious reasons why things aren’t going well, and feel the need to cast blame.

You’re not being insightful. You’re being impatient and impertinent.

So, again…

No.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Are you kidding me? The Rams wouldn't have won the Super Bowl without Von Miller and OBJ moves.

Who knows if Miller would have redone his contract at the time of the trade. The Bills stepped up with 3-year deal money. Very hard to second guess this without knowing all the facts. Personally, I doubt the Rams really had a chance once the Bills decided VM was their signing to win the Super Bowl as the Rams did.

Atwell has proven to be a very poor draft pick. I don't think the Rams had Humphrey on their radar as they liked Allen.

Still early.

I haven't been a total Snead fanboy but, drafting is hard. That's why making big trades and getting the players he acquired got the Rams a Super Bowl WIN. Locally the Eagles drafted Jalen Reagor over Jefferson. That's as bad as it gets. It happens all the time. Maybe it's time to make a few changes to the Scouting Department as overall they haven't done a great job. Of course, they haven't had a lot of early picks to work with,

The Brian Allen LIKING is BS!!
He was behind Austin Corbett & Shelton Coleman coming out of OTA’s.

I was one of the first Ram Fans ever in SOFI. I will say my picks & GM decisions would have been different.

I also think I would have done better over the years at Top draft picks. I also have ALWAYS seen value in draft picks.

I will not sit here & say I’m better than Sean Mcvay or Les Snead.

I think the BIG picture is being LOST at where The Rams are or have Accomplished

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yep, and I’ve never been a big fan of Allen. Still not.

I have NEVER been a Brian Allen Fan. I also go back in HISTORY to state what I would have done & The Biggest Mistakes.

Still think most of The Monday Night QB(player personnel) have things a little off & McSnead as I use to Call Them DO A GREAT JOB!!

AZ Ram has it wrong though.

I go back to Brian Allen’s draft value & how Sean Mcvay was finding himself.

There has been a process that I won’t get into unless asked.

I’ll just say Austin Corbett was a GOD Send for The Rams.Brian Allen earned his contract extension as well.

—Brian Allen last week from a PFF last week was upsetting.I also think The Rams are doing a good job with there O’Line.

Then again ? I was John Sullivan & Austin Blythe Fan. I also think Aaron Kromer was The Best O’Line coach The Rams have EVER had? Just off hand & no knowledge from myself.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Such nonsense.

Before this year:

5 seasons
4 playoff appearances
3 division titles
2 Super Bowls
1 Championship

Now, despite the most obvious reason (injuries, particularly on OL), you’ve decided that there is a deep rooted problem that’s been percolating for years.

Please.

The Emperor is fully clothed.

The problem is you, and other fans who childishly demand near perfection, ignore the obvious reasons why things aren’t going well, and feel the need to cast blame.

You’re not being insightful. You’re being impatient and impertinent.

So, again…

No.

AGREE!! A’Jackson is a PERFECT example of The RAMS Scouting Finding a A-Plus player & Sean Mcvay & Co developing him.

Blood Clot ? WOW

As for Looking Forward I’d say I wanted a Bigger RB, but just looking at Williams being healthy could be s STEAL in the 2022 draft.

I’m also excited for Bobby Brown to get a chance & maybe Cutch to maybe get some grass time as well. Those 2 guys I really liked in training camp.

Durant & Kendrick both have excellent futures. Wondering if Mcvay is looking to up Hill’s & D. Long’s value as FA’s ?

Taylor Rapp IMO has been a bust for being such a High draft pick,but then once again Sean Mcvay & staff have a Pro Bowl type player in Nick Scott.

Another example is what happens to David Edwards? Bobby Evans Solely got Matt Stafford hurt & was the CAUSE of Tampa Bay loss. WHY MCVAY didn’t see it or take action ?

Trusting coaches & things in place I understand. A 911 call every 6 years might have been a way to safe Kupp & Stafford health. I know you can’t say if 1 happened the other 1 wouldn’t have,but I just did.

Ellard80

Legend

Drafting
Play calling

lack of running game fore several years lol? Don't let facts get in the way of your diatribe.

Also, people who constantly bitch about 11 personnel... Do you watch the NFL?

That is the base package for nearly EVERY nfl team. That is why the buffalo bills play nickel defense all downs. (you can guess who started this nfl 11 personnel trend around 2017 that everyone else copied?).

Last edited:

Ellard80

Legend
Here are the league averages for personnel grouping last year First stat is 11 personell... second stat is 12 personell

1668953090935.png

oldnotdead

Legend
I’m trying to remember who this good TE (better than Higbee) is that got traded but I can’t. I must be missing something obvious. But I can’t think of any TE that McVay has traded away - and one better than Higbee too.

T.J. Hockenson was to Goff what Higbee is to Stafford. Goff had two legit receivers in Hockenson and St Brown. Now he has only St Brown who has been out on occasion with injuries, as his #! RB Swift. It makes it painfully easy to cover Goff's receivers. Hockenson isn't better than Higbee I used it as an illustration as Detroit's offense misses him as much as the Rams miss Higbee.

Ellard80

Legend
T.J. Hockenson was to Goff what Higbee is to Stafford. Goff had two legit receivers in Hockenson and St Brown. Now he has only St Brown who has been out on occasion with injuries, as his #! RB Swift. It makes it painfully easy to cover Goff's receivers. Hockenson isn't better than Higbee I used it as an illustration as Detroit's offense misses him as much as the Rams miss Higbee.
at this very moment our receiver core is prob worse without kupp.. debatable though.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

I question some of that logic,but the funny thing is The Rams won the Superbowl without Higbee & a player with no real NFL experience helped The Rams win it.
Funny Johnny 82 & Hockenson are playing together now. Is there something to that ? We’ll see Oldnitdead?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
at this very moment our receiver core is prob worse without kupp.. debatable though.

Debatable in what sense ? Higbee being health with Jefferson back ?

Cooper Kupp IMO doesn’t get into the HOF. Mcvay’s play call against SF really messed The Rams up with that injury. Then playing Bobby Evans hurt against Tampa Bay the whole game.
Wolford set him up for injury.
—Kupp’s history will be hurt beyond some easy yards left on the Grass 2022.. That void will hurt his numbers big time.

oldnotdead

Legend
Kupp’s history will be hurt beyond some easy yards left on the Grass 2022.. That void will hurt his numbers big time
Oh I don't know about that. Look at his first injury. He came back a completely different WR. This wasn't a spontaneous injury like OBJ's. This was due to contact. He's got a long career ahead of him.

If Robinson doesn't step up now then it's time to turn to McCutcheon who is a legit X WR a big body WR with legit speed to play the entire route tree. Robinson is due for a big payday in 2025 with the Ram's out year being 2024. This gives them this year and next year to see if McCutcheon is for real.

With Jefferson back, Robinson, Skowronek, Harris, McCutcheon, Powell and yes Tutu the Rams are hardly bereft of WRs. If Aboushi can just play his normal average self, and if Kolone can hold the fort until Thomas can play the Rams can make a run if not for the division then for a wildcard. Once in the playoffs they can be dangerous. If the OL simply plays average for the rest of the season I can see the Rams getting a wildcard berth if not better.

Basically we have to figure Kupp is out for the year. McVay needs to retool his offense. Play dink and dunk until the OL finds its rhythm.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I wouldn't trade the Superbowl back cuz it was worth it. However, with that said, their drafting at the beginning of the draft sure needs to improve (not including Bruss here cuz the poor guy got hurt). Yes I'm saying it, that Creed pick would have solved at least our center problem but all that is done so nothing we can do about it anyways. Plus we need to start investing in our o-line with higher picks for lineman with a better pedigree. To follow, we fucked up not giving Von an actual deadline since that POS had us in a holding pattern in FA. Wish we were more active there. All in all, the reality is we still won the Superbowl and we suck ass this year after suffering so many injuries on the offensive line. I will continue to root for our team to win and hope they right the ship this coming off-season.