Rams Grab Kicker Matt Gay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

"Matt's going to get an opportunity to come in here Saturday to compete, and we're going to make the best decision for the Rams." – McVay
  • The Rams are getting closer to solidifying their plans to replace kicker Kai Forbath while Forbath heals from an ankle injury. Veteran Matt Gay will compete against Austin MacGinnis, who is currently on the practice squad, tomorrow, then the team will make its decision.
  • McVay also said MacGinnis "has had two good practices now, and (it's) definitely been a positive."

This is amusing after we spent the entire preseason trying to evaluate three guys. Now it's down to one workout and the day before a big game.

Ok, we're desperate, but not hopeless. At least we have two pretty credible candidates.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
I forgot - stopped paying attention to baseball for a while now: Are 5 strikes bad?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I forgot - stopped paying attention to baseball for a while now: Are 5 strikes bad?

Used to be four strikes to a strikeout and twelve balls for a walk about a hundred years ago. Maybe it was your time? :p

But yeah, five strikes is terrible; it means that the umpire sucks as well as the player.

Six strikes? Yeah, that's a level of futility unmatched by almost everyone.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
McVay needs to get a handle on this; Bonamego should not be our special teams coach next year. Whether he's fired after the season or given a blank check to get the fuck out of here, he should not be here. We can do so much better.
No doubt. It's amazing when you see how great the DC hire was, and the contrast of how bad Bonamego was as a hire. Basically IMO what we are seeing is a young head coach learning the hard way that special teams matters. He probably figured "oh hey here's a vet ST coach" and figured that takes care of that. Whereas the DC hire was inspired (he targeted the scheme he wanted and identified a young candidate with experience calling it in college) and you can see the difference in the outcome.

What we'll see this offseason is McVay unfuck it too. I'll bet he goes young. College ranks if possible to get a hot runner who fits this staff.

But at this point all I care about is they somehow find a kicker who can give us the 40-45 range kicks without us needing to shit our pants. Just do that and it should get us through this season.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
1474016065-simpsons-grandpa.gif

Ellard80

Legend
very pleased with this for my online madden playing - forbath had a weenie leg and could barely kil a 50 yarder.

Gay can hit up to 58-59

Now how he will do IRL who knows...

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good let people around here freak out for an extra day :D

At least we won't have people claiming how many players missed on the tryout day like we had for 2 of our 50 practices in preseason :D

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Looked up some articles about Gay with the Bucs in 2019 and... welp. Not good. Fans were not happy with him.

So I’m pulling for MacGinnis because there still isn’t a fan base that’s learned to hate him yet.

. MacGinnis was (I think?) perfect on all FG’s and XP’s as a “pro” in the XFL. Hope he gets his chance. We’ll find out tomorrow...

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Looked up some articles about Gay with the Bucs in 2019 and... welp. Not good. Fans were not happy with him.

So I’m pulling for MacGinnis because there still isn’t a fan base that’s learned to hate him yet.

. MacGinnis was (I think?) perfect on all FG’s and XP’s as a “pro” in the XFL. Hope he gets his chance. We’ll find out tomorrow...
He was an 80% kicker at Kentucky in college, that's enough to get you hated around here.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gay would have to be pretty bad in practice for him to not be the kicker tomorrow night. If I understand it correctly, the Rams dont get a covid exemption to go over 53 since the players on the covid IR were practice squad players. So if they activate McGinnis from PS, they will be short a man on the 53

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gay would have to be pretty bad in practice for him to not be the kicker tomorrow night. If I understand it correctly, the Rams dont get a covid exemption to go over 53 since the players on the covid IR were practice squad players. So if they activate McGinnis from PS, they will be short a man on the 53
Yeah logic tends to lead us to think it's Gay's job at least for tomorrow.