Rams Grab Kicker Matt Gay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
And let's not forget about McQuaide, our own version of Tormund Giantsbane! I'd show a picture of him, but I feel kinda lazy today.
Yes, and I know who Tormund is. Great comparison.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
1605899966344.jpeg
Somebody just yelled, FG unit!!!!

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

The elite of Westeros elite: Jon Snow, Tormund Giantsbane, Ser Jorah Mormont, Sandor "The Hound" Clegane, and Beric Dondarrion.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
What would really add some positivity round here would be MG nailing a couple 45+ yard field goals. :biggrin:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I actually quite like this signing.

Young kicker, but picked up (timing wise) kind of in the right spot to find a diamond in the rough. This is how a lot of kickers make it in this league. It can take a road to travel sometimes.

He didn’t flame out as a young guy who couldn’t cut it... and still had the confidence of the Colts to be on their practice squad.

Now... a year of the big leagues under his belt... he’s got some of the early career “things you need to go thru” out of the way. Primed to take off?

Good signing. Potential he could stick, IMO. GO MATT!

Rams4life

Rookie
Name
Bud
I actually quite like this signing.

Young kicker, but picked up (timing wise) kind of in the right spot to find a diamond in the rough. This is how a lot of kickers make it in this league. It can take a road to travel sometimes.

He didn’t flame out as a young guy who couldn’t cut it... and still had the confidence of the Colts to be on their practice squad.

Now... a year of the big leagues under his belt... he’s got some of the early career “things you need to go thru” out of the way. Primed to take off?

Good signing. Potential he could stick, IMO. GO MATT!

Yep. Think 1990. Lansford was hurt. So they picked up John carney and he didn't miss. Even though the Rams cut him, SD signed him off waiver and he had a very long career.

Bootleg

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I don't know if this has been brought up but apparently MacGinnis and Gay will compete tomorrow for the Monday night kicking gig.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

"Matt's going to get an opportunity to come in here Saturday to compete, and we're going to make the best decision for the Rams." – McVay
  • The Rams are getting closer to solidifying their plans to replace kicker Kai Forbath while Forbath heals from an ankle injury. Veteran Matt Gay will compete against Austin MacGinnis, who is currently on the practice squad, tomorrow, then the team will make its decision.
  • McVay also said MacGinnis "has had two good practices now, and (it's) definitely been a positive."

madrid311

RomandeacondickersonolsenwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Madrid311
I'm so excited. a diamond in the rough kicker might make the difference in a possible super bowl run. to be a fly on the wall today at kicker tryouts would be awesome. go kickers!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm so excited. a diamond in the rough kicker might make the difference in a possible super bowl run. to be a fly on the wall today at kicker tryouts would be awesome. go kickers!

I concur I'm a tad excited too, but my hope is for one to emerge and relieve us all, of the weekly special team drama.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
They could both be active.

One attempts FGs from a distance of odd #s (41, 43, 45), while the other guy tries to kick the even #s.

I mean, it’s absurd, ridiculous and stupid but ... Why not?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think the "competition" thing has sort of stood in the way this year of good decisions because I don't trust Bonamego. I think he's a fucking moron.

Gay is the guy who was talented enough to get selected in the 5th round. He has an actual 58 yard field goal at the NFL level and against us no less. He hit at a 72 percent rate from 50+ in college. Rams have been pissed about things like hang time on kickoffs in addition to the misses so they need someone who has a strong leg. Gay has a strong leg.

Calling it now... Bonamego has been bonding with MacGinnis due to his roster time so he'll be declared the winner. Just makes sense since the guy seems to make bad evaluation calls at every fucking turn.

Rams4life

Rookie
Name
Bud
I think the "competition" thing has sort of stood in the way this year of good decisions because I don't trust Bonamego. I think he's a fucking moron.

Gay is the guy who was talented enough to get selected in the 5th round. He has an actual 58 yard field goal at the NFL level and against us no less. He hit at a 72 percent rate from 50+ in college. Rams have been pissed about things like hang time on kickoffs in addition to the misses so they need someone who has a strong leg. Gay has a strong leg.

Calling it now... Bonamego has been bonding with MacGinnis due to his roster time so he'll be declared the winner. Just makes sense since the guy seems to make bad evaluation calls at every fucking turn.

Post of the year guy. I'm hoping you're wrong, but Mcvay has been pumping how good McGinnis has been this week.

On the positive side, i live in Southern Ohio and I'm close to Kentucky. McGinnis was known as a kicker that had ice in his veins and was money with the game on the line.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

Bonamego has almost two whole fucking strikeouts against him.

Strike one: Advocating the drafting of Sloman. I hate to admit it, but I was wrong about Sloman.

Strike two: Putting Cooper Kupp back on punts instead of, oh, say, Nsimba Webster: a kid who showed potential and, oh, yeah: isn't a starting receiver.

Strike three: Not using a kid (Raymond Calais) on kickoff returns when you know that he could easily break one - and he fucking did in the one game he played in (believe it was Buffalo).

Strike four: Signing Kai Forbath when he knew that he has a noodle leg over someone like Gay and sticking with him until he got injured.

Strike five: Having the kickoff and punt coverage suck monkey balls ever since he came in.

I bet that he starts MacGinnis as well, so that'll be a sixth strike - and a second K.

McVay needs to get a handle on this; Bonamego should not be our special teams coach next year. Whether he's fired after the season or given a blank check to get the fuck out of here, he should not be here. We can do so much better.

Rams4life

Rookie
Name
Bud
Bonamego has almost two whole fucking strikeouts against him.

Strike one: Advocating the drafting of Sloman. I hate to admit it, but I was wrong about Sloman.

Strike two: Putting Cooper Kupp back on punts instead of, oh, say, Nsimba Webster: a kid who showed potential and, oh, yeah: isn't a starting receiver.

Strike three: Not using a kid (Raymond Calais) on kickoff returns when you know that he could easily break one - and he fucking did in the one game he played in (believe it was Buffalo).

Strike four: Signing Kai Forbath when he knew that he has a noodle leg over someone like Gay and sticking with him until he got injured.

Strike five: Having the kickoff and punt coverage suck monkey balls ever since he came in.

I bet that he starts MacGinnis as well, so that'll be a sixth strike - and a second K.

McVay needs to get a handle on this; Bonamego should not be our special teams coach next year. Whether he's fired after the season or given a blank check to get the fuck out of here, he should not be here. We can do so much better.

Another great post. Hoping Gay is the guy