Rams Grab Kicker Matt Gay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, for this week at least we are all Gay lovers

Wait a sec, that didnt sound right....

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Well, for this week at least we are all Gay lovers

Wait a sec, that didnt sound right....
Not that there's anything wrong with it.

Yeah. The potential is certainly there.
Which is much more than we've had all season.

After such a bad start to the season with that position, it appears we all seem to appreciate him. I think he's on a longer rope for us fans, than he would have been if he started the season as our Kicker.

Psycho_X

Legend
I have confidence that a field goal can be made over 40 yards again and that's great. Doesn't mean he will but I at least have confidence that it is possible. If he can end the year hitting his XPs and 80% of his field goals I'll be happy considering what we started with and hope they can sign him to a 2-3 year contract. The touchbacks are wonderful as well. Hopefully we found a gem that the Bucs gave up on too quickly.

Tano

Legend
I am just really happy that almost all his kickoffs have been TBs and that he has made all his XPs

Field goals are just a luxury at this point in time

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Strong leg. Balls seem to come off his foot nice, end over end, etc.

We got him at the point in his career, timing wise (still at the very start but not a rookie) that many kickers bloom. Fingers crossed we found a guy to build with.

Aulac

UDFA
Name
Smileless
I didn't see any Matt Gay thread so I decided to make one.

I always thought Matt Gay was a veteran journeyman kicker so when I heard the Rams got him from the Colts practice squad, I was pretty meh. When I did further research, I realize that last year he was only a rookie who kicked 77.1% (25 out of 32) and was perfect from 50 yards plus. All of his miss came inside 40 yards or less. He did however cost the Buccaneers two games versus the Giants and Falcons respectively.

I'm not sure if 77.1% for a rookie kicker or any kicker is good or not? I did however found out that he is a former Lou Groza winner and the reason he doesn't start for the Colts is because Hotrod is also a Lou Groza winner who ironically have trouble kicking past 50 yards. Not all Lou Groza winner pan out in the NFL but the fact that he won the Lou Groza award mean he not another Sam Sloman and there is hope!

Matt Gay one miss was under 40 yards which kind of scare me since that was why the Bucs released him in the first place. Hopefully he does better on his 2nd team and become the kicker he was in college.

What are your thoughts on Matt Gay so far?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Matt Gay thread fell to the second page:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I don't care if it's Gus, the football kicking mule.

If whoever can kick touchbacks and be solidly above 85% from inside 50yds, I just...don't...care.