Rams Draft Developmental QB?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Stafford just turned 33. Maybe it’s too early... But, anyone imagine a scenario we draft a QB? Or we set with Wolford?

Maybe a later round development type? Me; I don’t. Not enough picks.

But, even if not the Rams... anyone have a dark horse QB that could surprise from this class? So much of the buzz is around the top 4-5.

RANKNAMEQBSCHOOLYEARHEIGHTWEIGHTCONFERENCE
Trevor Lawrence
QBClemsonJunior6'6"220 lbsAtlantic Coast - Atlantic
Justin Fields
QBOhio StateJunior6'3"223 lbsBig Ten - East
Zach Wilson
QBBYUJunior6'3"210 lbsFBS Independents
Trey Lance
QBNorth Dakota StateRS Sophomore6'3"224 lbs--

Mac Jones
QBAlabamaRS Junior6'2.5"217 lbsSEC - West
Kyle Trask
QBFloridaRS Senior6'5"239 lbsSEC - East
Davis Mills
QBStanfordSenior6'4"222 lbsPac-12 - North
Jamie Newman
QBGeorgiaRS Senior6'3"235 lbsSEC - East
Kellen Mond
QBTexas A&MSenior6'2.5"205 lbsSEC - West
Sam Ehlinger
QBTexasSenior6'1.5"222 lbsBig 12
Feleipe Franks
QBArkansasRS Senior6'6"234 lbsSEC - West
Shane Buechele
QBSMUSenior6'1"207 lbsAmerican Athletic - West
Peyton Ramsey
QBNorthwesternRS Senior6'2"205 lbsBig Ten - West
K.J. Costello
QBMississippi StateRS Senior6'5"222 lbsSEC - West
Zac Thomas
QBAppalachian StateRS Senior6'1"210 lbsSun Belt - East
Brady Davis
QBIllinois StateSenior6'4"210 lbs--
Ian Book
QBNotre DameSenior6'0"210 lbsFBS Independents
Zach Smith
QBTulsaRS Senior6'3"228 lbsAmerican Athletic - West
Brady White
QBMemphisRS Senior6'3"215 lbsAmerican Athletic - West

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Too early... Just traded two #1s for this guy so you better expect he gives you at least 4 yrs.

At the earliest, draft one next yr when you have a lot more picks.

oldnotdead

Legend
Davis Mills checks a lot of boxes but most of all coming from Stanford the Rams would have the inside info via Carberry. I like Mills as a developmental prospect. He's got an NFL caliber arm with decent accuracy. He's physically prototypical for the position. He's a pocket passer with enough movement skills to extend.

He's not a finished product by a long shot. But his skill set translates to what Stafford brings in so far as a pocket passer, with good length with enough mobility to scramble. His issues are coachable, case in point he's inconsistent when working his progressions. His issues tend to land on the technique side of the equation.

The chances are good the Rams will lose Wolford next year. But with a year of development Mills could potentially give them a long term starter after Stafford as he has the basic talent to be an NFL QB.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Rams also have a decent third string QB. Last year they picked Josh Love and Bryce Perkins as udfa’s

Are any QBs on that list good enough to displace the one they retained? I think it was Perkins.

I like Mond. I just don’t know if he’s better than Perkins

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the Rams have spent plenty on the QB position from trading up to get Goff, paying Goff, and then trading for Stafford. They are set right now with a more than adequate back up in Wofford. they do not have enough picks this year, and maybe next, to draft a developmental QB prospect in my opinion, but I'm not them.

Psycho_X

Legend
Agreed with no picks to use this year as we need to be able to fill a lot of depth with all of the role playing free agents that left. But wouldn't rule out a UDFA being added. I think they like Wolford and Perkins though so I'd assume they give them one more year to develop and maybe go a different direction next year if needed.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I say no..... so they'll probably draft 2.

If they do, I hope it's Feleipe Franks. He's a friend of my son's so maybe I can get some sideline passes or something.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Stafford just turned 33. Maybe it’s too early... But, anyone imagine a scenario we draft a QB? Or we set with Wolford?

Maybe a later round development type? Me; I don’t. Not enough picks.

But, even if not the Rams... anyone have a dark horse QB that could surprise from this class? So much of the buzz is around the top 4-5.

RANKNAMEQBSCHOOLYEARHEIGHTWEIGHTCONFERENCE
Trevor Lawrence
QBClemsonJunior6'6"220 lbsAtlantic Coast - Atlantic
Justin Fields
QBOhio StateJunior6'3"223 lbsBig Ten - East
Zach Wilson
QBBYUJunior6'3"210 lbsFBS Independents
Trey Lance
QBNorth Dakota StateRS Sophomore6'3"224 lbs--

Mac Jones
QBAlabamaRS Junior6'2.5"217 lbsSEC - West
Kyle Trask
QBFloridaRS Senior6'5"239 lbsSEC - East
Davis Mills
QBStanfordSenior6'4"222 lbsPac-12 - North
Jamie Newman
QBGeorgiaRS Senior6'3"235 lbsSEC - East
Kellen Mond
QBTexas A&MSenior6'2.5"205 lbsSEC - West
Sam Ehlinger
QBTexasSenior6'1.5"222 lbsBig 12
Feleipe Franks
QBArkansasRS Senior6'6"234 lbsSEC - West
Shane Buechele
QBSMUSenior6'1"207 lbsAmerican Athletic - West
Peyton Ramsey
QBNorthwesternRS Senior6'2"205 lbsBig Ten - West
K.J. Costello
QBMississippi StateRS Senior6'5"222 lbsSEC - West
Zac Thomas
QBAppalachian StateRS Senior6'1"210 lbsSun Belt - East
Brady Davis
QBIllinois StateSenior6'4"210 lbs--
Ian Book
QBNotre DameSenior6'0"210 lbsFBS Independents
Zach Smith
QBTulsaRS Senior6'3"228 lbsAmerican Athletic - West
Brady White
QBMemphisRS Senior6'3"215 lbsAmerican Athletic - West

like I said last year Wolford was the guy & The Rams won’t bring in a veteran QB.

Zac Robinson took over as The QB coach. Both old QB coach knew he
was on McVays promotion list imo.
His last interview (video) he said Stafford would get together with him.

Zac Robinson was the QB dealing with both QB’s during the end of the year drama.
Bryce Perkins won the 3rd string QB spot & Blake Bortles was brought back out of respect Mcvay has in him as a solid Guy.

IMO I think Mcvay might or was thinking to add a little something something with Bryce Perkins at QB.
This towards the end of the season before Bortles & Stafford were both added to the roster.

My answer is IMO The Rams are set at QB.Bortles I don’t think is even resigned & don’t believe he will comeback even though he is list on the roster.Either way I McVay likes Perkins,but always like to have 4 qb’s early in camp.The QB Love from SJS might be brought back though as well ?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I say no..... so they'll probably draft 2.

If they do, I hope it's Feleipe Franks. He's a friend of my son's so maybe I can get some sideline passes or something.

Mcvay would be looking up to him.Looks like the biggest QB in the draft. Hopefully not at 2, or with The Rams. Maybe if he is drafted by a team The Rams play during the season.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like the idea of having a QB under contract for 4 years with a late round draft pick, however the Rams do have Wolford under contract for cheap this year, and then would have 2 RFA years of quasi control. So I'd think they'll stick with him unless there's a guy on their board they just have to have

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not that the Rams will draft a guy.

I like the potential of Mond, Mills and Trask (He’s no Peter Dinklage but he’ll do***X-men joke).

Mond has that Dal Prescott feel to him. Both Mills and Trask have size, arm strength, and time under center. They do need coaching regarding pocket presence & working their reads beyond primary. Would be a nice 4 yr stash as others have mentioned.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would consider it rounds 4 and later yes. Or maybe after round 4. But that stuff is driven by a player you really like being there.

I wouldn't try to force a QB or anything.

TheTackle

Starter
David Mills should have stayed in college for one more year, so could be a steal. But, will we really carry three QBs?

oldnotdead

Legend
This team is essentially built. IMO most of the draft will be focused upon depth, i.e. developmental players and QB is one of those positions. As an undrafted FA coming in and as a backup player I don't see the Rams offering a 1st or 2nd round tender on Wolford. Williams is an outstanding starter so a 1st round tender is appropriate. IMO the trade for Stafford locks him in for at least 4 years. It's a perfect opportunity to develop a QB in your system. Snead is always drafting for the future and QB could potentially be a position he might think of.

I like Wolford but the playoffs showed his limitations. He could end up being here long term as a backup but that isn't a given. There are a couple of QBs in this draft that could fill that definition should they fall into the 3rd day.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
David Mills should have stayed in college for one more year, so could be a steal. But, will we really carry three QBs?

No. We'd put Wolford on the PS or cut him. Remember, the Rams loved Austin Blythe. The Rams loved Malcolm Brown. The Rams loved Michael Brockers. The Rams loved JJ, Troy Hill, Samson Ebukam, Josh Reynolds, etc. etc. etc.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Ehhh, I feel this is another fan fantasy. When was the last time a QB was "groomed" to take over for the old vet? If you need a QB you'll either trade for/up one or sign one to big money in FA.