Rams “Definitely” Value Austin Blythe

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
You mean Nick Martin?

You want them to sign a center; and then use half their draft picks on the OL, including another center?

Why not? What should we draft, QB?
RB? DT? S? I think the ought to get a WR in the draft and a C. Beyond that, a OT and/or G. A LB would be nice and a CB. Edge if we pass on one of those 6

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Boom's general lack of strength would lead to him bombing at the right OT spot. You gotta have some lead in your ass to play that side.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
The thing about Boom is his salary cap price,plus he is still ascending.Depending on how 2021 season goes The Rams will have a better idea & could lock him up for the future sooner than later ? There is a lot of FA OLineman. Havenstien was coming off an injury & The Rams signed him ? Just saying it isn’t going to surprise me if or when it happens.
I agree.
His depth is important this year.
Getting another year of experience should help.

I'd like to think he's our guy at LT after this season. To have that position solidified after Whit is done would be a nice luxury.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
There is a lot of FA OLineman. Havenstien was coming off an injury & The Rams signed him ? Just saying it isn’t going to surprise me if or when it happens.

The Rams didn't have the same amount of OL depth in August of 2018 when they extended Havenstein as they have today either. It wasn't until 2019 before Evans & Edwards were drafted. Blythe also replaced Jamon Brown at RG mid-season 2018. And this doesn't reflect on any potential OT's that may still be drafted in 2021, so as yet, i'm not seeing RT depth as a problem if Havenstein is moved as a CAP casualty. Saffold's loss following the 2018 season, followed by Havenstein's injury in 2019, gave us Noteboom at LG and Evans at RT temporarily. Had Saffold remained, I would think that Noteboom would have been Havenstein's RT replacement rather than Evans. Fortunately, for 4 or 5 of those first games Evans played were rather exceptional and had the entire fanbase believing we'd found our RT of the future. Unfortunately, Evans tapered off those last couple games, fans came back down to earth and Havenstein was pardoned.
Unless we are talking about a Center, I see no current need for another free agent offensive lineman, the draft should be enough to serve our purposes imo.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The Rams didn't have the same amount of OL depth in August of 2018 when they extended Havenstein as they have today either. It wasn't until 2019 before Evans & Edwards were drafted. Blythe also replaced Jamon Brown at RG mid-season 2018. And this doesn't reflect on any potential OT's that may still be drafted in 2021, so as yet, i'm not seeing RT depth as a problem if Havenstein is moved as a CAP casualty. Saffold's loss following the 2018 season, followed by Havenstein's injury in 2019, gave us Noteboom at LG and Evans at RT temporarily. Had Saffold remained, I would think that Noteboom would have been Havenstein's RT replacement rather than Evans. Fortunately, for 4 or 5 of those first games Evans played were rather exceptional and had the entire fanbase believing we'd found our RT of the future. Unfortunately, Evans tapered off those last couple games, fans came back down to earth and Havenstein was pardoned.
Unless we are talking about a Center, I see no current need for another free agent offensive lineman, the draft should be enough to serve our purposes imo.

I think David Edwards might have been the backup RT ? Who knows. Maybe even Brewer who actually played RT in 2019 ? I followed you all the way until there.Plus when was Havenstien really resigned ? Before the draft of 2019 ? Talk about lack of depth ? Sullivan would have been never been cut if Mcvay had it to do again. He even said that was a big mistake.
—— Austin Blythe I SAID then & will say AGAIN is not a GUARD!!! Why The HECK Mcvay did what he did in 2019 was FOOLISH!!! Horrible mistake.

Any Ram Fan that want to talk crap about Bobby Evans & David Edwards go at it. Mcvay is or Snead still look at that last 9ers game in 2019 & think what if & how close did we come from making the playoffs.

RAMsey & Corbett traded were both amazing trades & changes that 2019 season after an excellent start.Still at 22 years old rookies I was impressed by both those 2’s play.

Rams4life

Rookie
Name
Bud
The Rams can't be serious about keeping Blythe. They have to know he was part of the problem.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams can't be serious about keeping Blythe. They have to know he was part of the problem.
last year Jordan Rodrigue talked about how the Rams offensive line and receivers and everybody really trust Blythe when it comes to calling out protections and stuff like that. And then this year she was saying that she would expect the Rams to want a veteran presence with some familiarity on the offensive line at the center position. So that means they're either going to grab a vet center or they're going to run it back with Blythe I think.

Rams4life

Rookie
Name
Bud
last year Jordan Rodrigue talked about how the Rams offensive line and receivers and everybody really trust Blythe when it comes to calling out protections and stuff like that. And then this year she was saying that she would expect the Rams to want a veteran presence with some familiarity on the offensive line at the center position. So that means they're either going to grab a vet center or they're going to run it back with Blythe I think.
I figured they said they valued him in case a better player feel though and he was the only option. Hopefully that's the plan.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
The Rams re-signed Blythe last year only minutes before free agency officially began, hopefully he gets past the clock this time around.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm sure they love his calls. If only the guy could block.

Crow = Defenses

Cube = Blythe?

tenor.gif

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Why not? What should we draft, QB?
RB? DT? S? I think the ought to get a WR in the draft and a C. Beyond that, a OT and/or G. A LB would be nice and a CB. Edge if we pass on one of those 6
Too many OL.
Assuming Blythe is not resigned, and neither Allen nor Demby have a future with the Rams that still leaves nine OL under contract.

There’s Whitworth, Havenstein, Noteboom, Evans, Edwards, Corbett, Shelton, Anchrum and Brewer.

You’re suggesting adding four more OL to that group (Martin in Free Agency, plus three draft choices).

That’s 13.
Teams usually carry 8-10 OL on their 53; and often have just seven active on game-day, with another 2-3 on the Practice Squad.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Too many OL.
Assuming Blythe is not resigned, and neither Allen nor Demby have a future with the Rams that still leaves nine OL under contract.

There’s Whitworth, Havenstein, Noteboom, Evans, Edwards, Corbett, Shelton, Anchrum and Brewer.

You’re suggesting adding four more OL to that group (Martin in Free Agency, plus three draft choices).

That’s 13.
Teams usually carry 8-10 OL on their 53; and often have just seven active on game-day, with another 2-3 on the Practice Squad.

I think Demby is gone. Allen? I don't know. So let's count him and say 14. I figured in order to afford Martin (or Linsley) either Whitworth or Havenstein would be a cap cut. Maybe both. Kansas City just cut both their starting OTs. But let's just say 1, so that's 13. And I'm in the minority but I don't think Whitworth had that good of year before the injury. At least not what we had been used to from him. Add in the injury and he's over paid. So 13, with either Whitworth or Havenstein going. And possibly one of the draftees doesn't make the cut (or maybe Brewer is gone). That's 12. 10 on the 53 and 2 on the practice squad. It's really not that hard to figure and since the idea is to get younger and cheaper we might see an OL that looks like this.....Whitworth, Edwards, Martin/Linsley, Corbett or Anchrum, Evans, Noteboom or Anchrum with two of Corbett, Anchrum, Evans and Noteboom as backups. If Whitworth goes, then Havenstein at RT and Noteboom at LT. Either way, that's 7. If both Whitworth and Havenstein are cut (or traded in Hav's case) Shelton or Allen (or both) may hang around and a rookie C if he's taken high enough. A rookie G and OT makes 11. 9 on the 53 and 2 on the practice squad. Stranger things have happened. And when you have a 40 year old LT, chances are he won't be there for all 16 so some depth is important. Again, I love Whit but I think we over value him. We'll find out.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Too many OL.

That’s 13.

You assume that the coaching staff believes all of the remaining Ram Oliners to be good or future starters. Maybe they don't. Maybe that's what Jordan was alluding too. Its possible that was part of why they moved on from Kromer and brought in Carberry. Maybe they felt Kromer's talent evaluations were lacking. Jourdan mentioned 'Kromer guys'. Maybe she expects them to move on from them? Carberry not only knows what McVay wants but he's fresh from college and should have a leg up on knowing available talent, that he coached and watched during college games and watching film. Fresh start?

Consider a stopgap veteran center, be it Blythe or Martin or whomever. Then a future center in the draft, one guard, one OT to replace Rob or Andrew.

Maybe Jourdan is speculating too. One guy Snead brought up and seemed excited about was Brewer. The other was Anchrum. Some of that could be smoke but we all saw Brewer look pretty good, better than Noteboom imo. If Noteboom is the future OLT why doesn't Snead or McVay come out and say it? He's already on the roster. Its not like they would need to hide it.

Maybe they are hoping to revamp the Online in the next two years when a few more of these guys are free agents. Many, not all, rookie Onlinemen need some time to develop. So if they wait until starters, like maybe Corbett or Edwards or Havenstein move on, in free agency are they going to sign free agents to replace them all, or do they want young guys ready to step up? (and don't see most of the backups on the roster as capable)

This draft is supposedly pretty deep with interior Online men. That's not usually the case. It would be a good time for a team that doesn't have any first round picks to capitalize on it.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
You assume that the coaching staff believes all of the remaining Ram Oliners to be good or future starters.

No ... not at all.

After QB, I consider the O-Line the most important position on a football team.

I am just pointing-out that if the Rams brought in four OL (a free agent and three draft choices) that would make 13 (excluding Demby and Allen who I do not well regard); and that would translate to some difficult cuts because I don't see players like Brewer and Anchrum lasting on the Practice Squad; and any of the three projected draft pick OL might have to be placed on the Practice Squad and similarly exposed.

Absolutely agree that the Rams may be ready to move-on from some veteran O-Linemen (I think Pharma pointed that out). However, I don't know if the Rams have better tackle options than Whitworth and Havenstein. Personally, I like Corbett and Edwards at guard; and have my fingers crossed with Anchrum and Brewer (have not seen enough to suggest best position).

32 teams and five starting-OL per-team.. That's 160. I just don't think there are 160 quality OL in the NFL.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
You assume that the coaching staff believes all of the remaining Ram Oliners to be good or future starters. Maybe they don't. Maybe that's what Jordan was alluding too. Its possible that was part of why they moved on from Kromer and brought in Carberry. Maybe they felt Kromer's talent evaluations were lacking. Jourdan mentioned 'Kromer guys'.
Agreed. I think Kromer had quite the roller coaster of production and not all of it was his fault but still. He proved me wrong in a lot of ways but regardless the moment where I knew something was up with him was when he started Boom over Edwards. There is just no fucking universe where that made sense.

IMO in that call his ego or whatever it was led to playing the not-best candidate and I think that may be part of the whole picture you allude to.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Too many OL.

That’s 13.

Yep - it’s about developing what you got & learning the system.Having a New OL coach I believe will also do wonders.
I heard the Detroit Lions center talk about how smart Matthew Stafford is about his Line Calls.Still the center has Eyes on the defense & makes adjustments as the play goes.
John Sullivan was such a Excellent Play Caller up Front & Austin Blythe learned from John(fans can say I don’t know what I’m talking about) & he played RG.
Anyways that is the start of my point with The Rams Center position.
I agree with Kromers first season he only carried 8 OLman. Plus listening to Mcvay helps understand the thought process.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Crow = Defenses

Cube = Blythe?

tenor.gif

Nice CGI - but try harder. Victims.Aren’t we all.

View: https://youtu.be/--iRIoHOzrA

Not sure what the cube has in place for Austin Blythe,but in my book.No matter how much he got thrown around he was an overachiever with The Rams. His salary cap,leadership,& knowledge of The Rams(McVays) offense last was priceless. Even though he was not a True Guard in The NFL he got The Rams to The SuperBowl.
My believe as well is if McKromer was smart in 2018! Add Les SNEAD!!!
The Rams would have had a good chance to repeat to The Super Bowl.

Brian Allen was a wasted DRAFT PICK!!! Austin Blythe would have been the ULTIMATE backup G/C.John Sullivan should have never been cut.The Rams needed to find a Rught Guard & not some Marvin Hagler tough guy look alike.
Then develop maybe a UDRFA to develop under those 2 players.As much as some want to say about Joesph Noteboom he could have filled that RG spot as well,but behind Andrew Whitworth mentoring him Mcvay would have had such a good structure that he is trying to still build with The Rams organization.