Rams Coaching Interviews:It's official, McVay hired

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
So Vrabel and Shanahan will be interviewed after the divisional round games. We're gonna have to wait a little longer to find out who the new guy is.

Vrabel seems like a bit of a random name. I hadn't heard him named as a possible candidate for any of the jobs.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Now the Rams are going to interview Mike Vrabel. At this point, I think Demoff is just taking as many notes about football in general and Demoff is going to coach the team.
If you want to kick at tires . Mike Vrabal is tied with Patricia & Demoff wants to know about Vrabal as a D.C. ??
--Then again this guy is & has been an excellent locker room guy that is seriously intense. He is a coach that commands respect .

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Now the Rams are going to interview Mike Vrabel. At this point, I think Demoff is just taking as many notes about football in general and Demoff is going to coach the team.

I don't see the issue here. I'd rather they get it right than get it done quickly. I am not married to the idea of a coordinator. I'd be fine with a CEO type HC if he can bring the right staff. Vrabel is a highly respected coach and former player. I had a ton of respect for him when he played. He was a team-first guy who defined the word versatile. If we're looking to change the culture, he's the type of guy who can do that.

I have no doubt that he can lead. The real question is if he can pull in the right staff.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So Vrabel and Shanahan will be interviewed after the divisional round games. We're gonna have to wait a little longer to find out who the new guy is.

Vrabel seems like a bit of a random name. I hadn't heard him named as a possible candidate for any of the jobs.

I like the idea of Vrabel if he can sell us on his staff. I have no doubts that he can lead a locker room or command respect. He also seems like the type of guy who can change the culture of this locker room. He's a winner.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20170108/la-rams-broaden-search-for-new-head-coach

LA Rams broaden search for new head coach
By Rich Hammond, rhammond@scng.com, @rich_hammond on Twitter

The Rams broadened their search for a head coach this weekend and also learned that they also will need to hire a new defensive coordinator.

Two interim coaches, Buffalo’s Anthony Lynn and Jacksonville’s Doug Marrone, were expected to complete interviews with the Rams on Sunday. Lynn previously worked as the Bills’ offensive coordinator and Marrone worked as the Jaguars’ offensive-line coach.

The Rams also have interviewed New England coordinators Josh McDaniels and Matt Patricia, Washington offensive coordinator Sean McVay, Arizona offensive coordinator Harold Goodwin and Carolina assistant head coach Steve Wilks, plus their own interim coach, John Fassel.

The Rams are still believed to be seeking to reschedule an interview with Atlanta offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, after Saturday’s meeting was canceled due to travel problems. The Rams also reportedly will talk to Detroit defensive coordinator Teryl Austin.

Lynn is an intriguing candidate not only because of his coaching talent but because, according to a report from ESPN, if Lynn becomes a head coach he intends to hire Gus Bradley as his defensive coorindator. Bradley was a successful coordinator in Seattle before he was hired (and later fired) as head coach in Jacksonville.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
So lets hope Bronco's hire Vance Joseph so we can take our time picking between Kyle Shanahan and Sean McVay.

Since
SD is also going to go for a def background HC since they kept Ken Whisinhunt (sp?). My guess is Sean mcDermott, Schwartz or Patricia or Special teams from KC Dave Toub
Bills "appear" to like Lynn still.

Mike Smith
"should" be next HC in Jax is my guess from listening to Sirius Sat Radio
tonight They haven't named dropped.

From the talk right now the search is falling nicely for the Rams. They could have their pick between Shanahan and McVay.

Denver really likes Vance Joseph and it looks like he will try bring along Denver's former OC in Mike McCoy. That looks like the perfect match. Joseph's first interview will be in Denver. Denver could be the first domino to fall.

Jaguars GM Caldwell worked with Mike Smith during his most successful years in Atlanta, so that also makes alot of sense.

Whiners look like McDaniels is their guy. I am little skeptical of this because McDaniels cant mess this up again and this may not be the best spot for his 2nd chance.

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
Tice is a good OL Coach and yes there are some in college, but IMO the good ones are far and few between...If the Rams hired McVay for example and Marrone ended up as OC/OL Coach I would be just fine because I know that McVay would be calling the plays and Marrone has proven that he can coach an offensive line.
Not a good idea to have the HC calling plays. (Only out of desperation) The HC needs to manage the OC who is calling the plays.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Not a good idea to have the HC calling plays. (Only out of desperation) The HC needs to manage the OC who is calling the plays.

Disagree, many Head Coaches call their own plays...Andy Reid, Mike McCarthy, Adam Gase, Asshole Face, Ben McAdoo, Doug Pederson & Dirk Koetter just to post a few.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I still prefer Kyle Shanahan, but McVay is trending.
I could go for Kyle, But I don't know that I care for having his Dad around as an "Advisor"! And I really want to have an idea of who his OC / DC / ST / and other assistant coaches will be!
I know that's impossible to know in advance, But I wish I could find out!!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Haha. #TeamMcVay

I'm just trying to point out how he's different. You can't compare him to guys like Lane Kiffin.
Just be careful who you put up as your Avatar DYVKX, you know how the last Player/Coach you used as an Avatar turned out!! "BUST CITY"!:rolllaugh:" Just pulling you leg Bro!!!(y);):D

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 8m8 minutes ago

Rams team officials are unable to get out of Boston, where they interviewed Josh McDaniels, in time to meet with Shanahan in ATL
I just want to know, I haven't heard, Did they also interview Patricia while they where in Town!?!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Still no excuse IMHO, should have talked to him first, but no...Just no reason for it.
Maybe there is just a simple reason Shanahan wasn't interview first. He's NOT there number one choice! IDK, just guessing!

wmc540

Pro Bowler
I don't see the issue here. I'd rather they get it right than get it done quickly. I am not married to the idea of a coordinator. I'd be fine with a CEO type HC if he can bring the right staff. Vrabel is a highly respected coach and former player. I had a ton of respect for him when he played. He was a team-first guy who defined the word versatile. If we're looking to change the culture, he's the type of guy who can do that.

I have no doubt that he can lead. The real question is if he can pull in the right staff.

I have no problem with him. I have a problem with interviewing this many candidates.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Come on you know better than that, there are articles on Google that states the South won the civil war.

Then again just because The Rams front office was snowed in doesn't mean they didn't have an online interview.

-- so who are your top 3 candidates ? The more Inthink about it ,I like Shannahan. Seems like an excellent fit. -- The thing with him is his body of works .. He even had Johnny Football playing a a high level in a game or to. He most have been seriously frustrated with that situation.
RG111 as well.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I have to hope Vrabel interview is based on a potential DC hire. Otherwise it's just a bad sign. Demoff needs to be eliminating the chaff in this search. He might be doing that on the back side, where these guys truly have no shot at the job outside of a few candidates, and that is my hope. But it is a bit concerning.

Now it looks like they're going to wait on Shanahan. Which is cool, provided they are certain the interest on both sides is genuine. I'm just starting to get a bad feeling about all this, like Demoff is in the early stages of effing it up good.