Rams Coaching Interviews:It's official, McVay hired

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I also think Lane Kiffin comparisons are completely inaccurate. Kiffin had almost no experience in the NFL, and not as much experience as McVay has, as a position coach and a coordinator. The experience factor is important in this. McVay has that, and has worked his way up in the NFL, in NFL systems with NFL players.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
McVay has that, and has worked his way up in the NFL, in NFL systems with NFL players.

Okay we get it and the avatar confirms it, you really like Sean McVay!
sean-mcvay-300x195.jpg

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let me guess.Doug Marrone

Nope. Josh McDaniels.

Doug Marrone did pretty well in Buffalo. I'd wait and see with him who he'd bring with him.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Nope. Josh McDaniels.

Doug Marrone did pretty well in Buffalo. I'd wait and see with him who he'd bring with him.

Marrone's the one who would have me losing my mind. I'll still get behind him and root for the dude, but it would really p!$$ me off as I would consider it a "we're too afraid to take a flyer on a guy who might be great" type decision.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Nope. Josh McDaniels.

Marrone is one I have no desire for,as well as anyone who is
no at least a coordinator.That includes pseudo coordinators like the one in Arizona
Not a McDaniels fan either

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Nope. Josh McDaniels.

I think Buffalo's defense carried them to a good year in Marrone's good year. I think Jim Schwartz is just a really good DC, and Marrone isn't that good. Just from my limited knowledge on the situation.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Marrone is one I have no desire for,as well as anyone who is
no at least a coordinator.That includes pseudo coordinators like the one in Arizona
Not a McDaniels fan either

The problem with this logic is that you're writing off people who aren't the hot candidates. But there are many successful coaches in the NFL who weren't the hot candidate.

I think Buffalo's defense carried them to a good year in Marrone's good year. I think Jim Schwartz is just a really good DC, and Marrone isn't that good. Just from my limited knowledge on the situation.

That's the thing, though. I don't consider that to be a negative. The two most important aspects of being a HC are being a leader of men and surrounding yourself with great assistant coaches. Marrone grabbing Jim Schwartz is a positive in my book.

The other thing is that when you look at Buffalo's offense, they weren't that talented. But they put the ball in the end-zone enough to help the defense out. Plus, from what I understand, E.J. Manuel was forced onto Marrone.

That's why I'm not going to write him off. He has positive HC experience. Plus, the Jaguars looked a lot better in the two games he coached than the 14 games that Bradley coached.

I don't know if he'll be successful, but it seems silly to write him off considering what he's done as a HC.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay has been in the NFL specifically for 8 years. 3 years as a coordinator and 5 as an assistant coach. Adam Gase had 3 years as a coordinator and 7 as an assistant coach. Not a huge difference. The experience thing is overblown. McVay has a ton of experience for someone his age.

I don't think you're giving McVay as much credit as he deserves for the uptick in the offense and his work with Kirk Cousins. He has a lot of say. Callahan runs a lot of the protections and run game, but he reports to McVay who calls the plays and has made that passing game great. Also, McVay has worked directly with Cousins and as soon as McVay started working with him, Cousins improved tremendously. That's no coincidence. Guys like Cousins and Colt McCoy have spoken at length about his leadership. That's evident, and it just doesn't go away when he takes over the whole team. They've spoken about how he's as detailed a coach they've ever been around. That's a quality that translates exceptionally well to HC.
Gase was coaching for 15 years before getting his gig and historically he is young for HC position.
It's not over rated that he's young. Not at all. He would be the youngest coach ever.
And his role as oc is play calling. It's Gruden systems.
He's a pretty face and talks a good game. But has no experience.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Will / Would be interesting to see what kind of staff that McVay could put together

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Gase was coaching for 15 years before getting his gig and historically he is young for HC position.
It's not over rated that he's young. Not at all. He would be the youngest coach ever.
And his role as oc is play calling. It's Gruden systems.
He's a pretty face and talks a good game. But has no experience.

I personally don't consider scouting assistants and recruiting assistants as coaches, but that's just me. He doesn't have much more actual experience than McVay.

McVay has say on the system as well. It's definitely changed and new wrinkles have been added since McVay took over. He's also had time under a lot of great offensive minds and could install bits and pieces of all of them with us. Learning from the Grudens, the Shanahans, Bill Callahan, a lot of guys to draw from.

I think it's also worth noting that McVay spent time in Jon Gruden's Fired Football Coaches Association (FFCA) which is known as the premiere place to gain knowledge for coaches. Jay Gruden said he learned more there than he ever did coaching previously.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Will / Would be interesting to see what kind of staff that McVay could put together

You would think he if he liked any of the Offensive assistants on the Skins, he might bring one or two of them with him.

He also might know some of the NFC East teams assistants fairly well and might be able to pluck someone from those staffs. Just guessing though of course...

The last 6 years he's only been tied to the NFC East and exclusively with Washington.
240px-Sean_McVay_2014.jpg

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
That's the thing, though. I don't consider that to be a negative. The two most important aspects of being a HC are being a leader of men and surrounding yourself with great assistant coaches. Marrone grabbing Jim Schwartz is a positive in my book.

The other thing is that when you look at Buffalo's offense, they weren't that talented. But they put the ball in the end-zone enough to help the defense out. Plus, from what I understand, E.J. Manuel was forced onto Marrone.

That's why I'm not going to write him off. He has positive HC experience. Plus, the Jaguars looked a lot better in the two games he coached than the 14 games that Bradley coached.

I don't know if he'll be successful, but it seems silly to write him off considering what he's done as a HC.

That's fair. I'd definitely be very disappointed in him but who knows? Maybe he surprises me.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I personally don't consider scouting assistants and recruiting assistants as coaches, but that's just me. He doesn't have much more actual experience than McVay.

McVay has say on the system as well. It's definitely changed and new wrinkles have been added since McVay took over. He's also had time under a lot of great offensive minds and could install bits and pieces of all of them with us. Learning from the Grudens, the Shanahans, Bill Callahan, a lot of guys to draw from.

I think it's also worth noting that McVay spent time in Jon Gruden's Fired Football Coaches Association (FFCA) which is known as the premiere place to gain knowledge for coaches. Jay Gruden said he learned more there than he ever did coaching previously.
So McVay was able to learn in 8 years what it takes. It's HC some 20 years. Yup got it. Hope to God he's not our HC. Maybe in 5-10 years when he's still in the young category.
Scouting, position coaching, X's and O's takes years. And it doesn't hurt to spend time under a mentor. Gruden himself is still learning the craft

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
So McVay was able to learn in 8 years what it takes. It's HC some 20 years. Yup got it. Hope to God he's not our HC. Maybe in 5-10 years when he's still in the young category.
Scouting, position coaching, X's and O's takes years. And it doesn't hurt to spend time under a mentor. Gruden himself is still learning the craft

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I'll stay focused on what knowledgeable football minds are saying, and what their actions say by spending so much time on McVay. You can focus on..a number.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
[profootballtalk.nbcsports.com]

Rams doing their homework on Sean McVay

Posted by Mike Florio on January 7, 2017, 8:06 PM EST

The Rams are currently ruling out no head-coaching candidates. Eventually, they could be hiring the youngest guy on the list.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the Rams are spending a lot of time doing their homework on Washington offensive coordinator Sean McVay. The 30-year-old has generated plenty of buzz, and his work with Kirk Cousins apparently has prompted folks in L.A. to believe that McVay could get the most out of 2016 No. 1 overall pick Jared Goff.

The interest in McVay meshes with recent comments from Rams COO Kevin Demoff, who said that the search is focusing on current NFL assistant coaches. The other candidates are Rams special-teams coordinator/interim head coach John Fassel, Cardinals offensive coordinator Harold Goodwin, Dolphins defensive coordinator Vance Joseph, Bills offensive coordinator/interim head coach Anthony Lynn, Panthers defensive coordinator Sean McDermott, Patriots defensive coordinator Matt Patricia, Falcons offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, Panthers assistant head coach Steve Wilks, Jaguars offensive line coach/interim head coach Doug Marrone.

At this point, it’s unlikely that the Rams will make a run at former Raiders and Buccaneers coach Jon Gruden or Saints coach Asshole Face. Both had been linked to the Rams earlier in the process.