Rams are no longer overwhelming favorites in NFC West

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Josh Rosen was rated higher than Kyler Murray coming out of college, and he can make all the throws. Unfortunately for him, he fell into a horrible situation, just like Jared Goff. Anyone can see what a difference a year made with Goff. From bust to pro bowl in one season. The future will determine whether the Cards made the right decision going with Murray vs Rosen They both might end up being superstars or busts for all we know, but they never gave Rosen a chance. Not good drafting strategy in my opinion.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It was pretty horrific.

He arguably had one of the worst rookie QB seasons of all time.

Not even close. But fwiw it was better than Goff's rookie season - higher rating, more yards per game, better interception rate, etc. Not a lot better, but marginally better across the board. So it's ridiculous to say that he couldn't be good with help. It may or may not happen, but

Trust me, I bet I watched more of his throws than you did.

I live in Phoenix, where his games were all on local tv, so I watched most of his throws. The team was bad. He was a struggling rookie, who wasn't given a real chance. Of course, Kyler isn't a sure thing either, and if the Cards had traded down with #1 overall they could have gotten a lot of help for a team that really needs it, and not be dependent on an undersized QB one hard hit from the injured list.

DVontel

Rookie
Not even close. But fwiw it was better than Goff's rookie season - higher rating, more yards per game, better interception rate, etc. Not a lot better, but marginally better across the board. So it's ridiculous to say that he couldn't be good with help. It may or may not happen, but

I live in Phoenix, where his games were all on local tv, so I watched most of his throws. The team was bad. He was a struggling rookie, who wasn't given a real chance. Of course, Kyler isn't a sure thing either, and if the Cards had traded down with #1 overall they could have gotten a lot of help for a team that really needs it, and not be dependent on an undersized QB one hard hit from the injured list.
The team was bad, yes. Was all of it his fault? No. Is he absorbed of blame? No. There were plays where he didn’t even complete easy screen passes. Just....wow.

Rookies struggle all the time. The thing is, they show peaks. Don’t even have to be for the whole season. That really didn’t happen with Rosen. I seen that with Darnold, especially when he came back from his injury in the latter half of the season. His team was awful as well.

Sure, Kyler isn’t a sure thing, but Rosen is definitely not a sure thing like people desperately so want him to be either. Especially after the situation. He’s going to have the Sympathy-PC crowd big time for him. It’s going to be something to see.

Trading down isn’t always the best idea. Hell, I’m mostly against it. You’re basically going away from elite talent just to pick up inferior players. You of all fans should know this. Remember when you guys went from #1 to #15(I think) for the RG3 trade? It sounded good in theory, but in reality, everyone involved in that trade is no longer on the team except Brockers, who has been a solid player, but never an All-Pro.

Russ & Brees have yet to suffer big injuries & they’ve taken some big hits. Even Baker took some big hits last year & came up like it was nothing. This myth of undersized players being more prone to being on the injured list has got to stop. Hell, the recent stretch of QBs like Wentz, Jimmy G, Mariota, & Watson have dealt with their fair share of injuries & none of those guys are undersized.

dang

Legend
Valid point regarding Weddle/Joyner but don't forget I am also comparing 2018 Johnson to 2019 Johnson as well. I truly believe Johnson at the start of 2019 will be significantly better than Johnson at the beginning of 2018.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The team was bad, yes. Was all of it his fault? No. Is he absorbed of blame? No. There were plays where he didn’t even complete easy screen passes. Just....wow.

Rookies struggle all the time. The thing is, they show peaks. Don’t even have to be for the whole season. That really didn’t happen with Rosen. I seen that with Darnold, especially when he came back from his injury in the latter half of the season. His team was awful as well.

Sure, Kyler isn’t a sure thing, but Rosen is definitely not a sure thing like people desperately so want him to be either. Especially after the situation. He’s going to have the Sympathy-PC crowd big time for him. It’s going to be something to see.

Trading down isn’t always the best idea. Hell, I’m mostly against it. You’re basically going away from elite talent just to pick up inferior players. You of all fans should know this. Remember when you guys went from #1 to #15(I think) for the RG3 trade? It sounded good in theory, but in reality, everyone involved in that trade is no longer on the team except Brockers, who has been a solid player, but never an All-Pro.

Russ & Brees have yet to suffer big injuries & they’ve taken some big hits. Even Baker took some big hits last year & came up like it was nothing. This myth of undersized players being more prone to being on the injured list has got to stop. Hell, the recent stretch of QBs like Wentz, Jimmy G, Mariota, & Watson have dealt with their fair share of injuries & none of those guys are undersized.

Neither Murray nor Rosen are sure things. There are reasons to believe - based on the length of their college careers, size, playing style, etc that Rosen is at least as likely to succeed as Murray - who I suspect will have a decent year or two before his HC washes out or Kyler gets hurt thanks to his size and playing style.

Trading down can make a lot of sense if done right, for a team that has holes all over. They could have patched holes in multiple places, because they needed help on the OL, receiving corps, RBs, and on defense. Instead they ditched a highly drafted QB for pennies on the dollar - waiting to trade him until actually during the draft instead of giving time for teams to bid against each other by doing it before hand - and using their #1 pick when teams might have wanted to trade up for either a QB or for Bosa, allowing a quicker rebuild.

Oh, and for the record - Brees' career was nearly ended by injury in 2005. It wasn't clear if he'd be able to be effective again, which is why the Chargers low balled him in contract negotiations. Instead, they lost him to the Saints for nothing. And yes, undersized QBs don't have a great injury history - RG3 is just one of many examples. They aren't doomed to injury - but it's a matter of mass.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
No. The best case scenario is we lost 5 starters and the new guys will be even better starters on lesser contracts.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Lol I did not see anyone anywhere picking any other NFCW team. Would love to see an article that didn't have us winning the division.

As for our rivals catching us - they are. Well, not so much Seattle, but the Niners got a lot better and the Cardinals with Murray will be better as well. But I still think we're comfortably ahead for now.
Seattle will be a game or so behind us. Niners will be 8 and 8 or 7 and 9. The Cards made last year a complete waste of a season and will be lucky to win 4 games. And when all is said and done there will be talk about weather the head coach deserves another season he sucked so bad.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
But you’re not a Cards fan, so I’m also sure you didn’t see most of Rosen’s throws either.
I did. It wasn't Rosen. It was the awful scheme and lack of coaching. I saw it here in '16 with Goff who looked even worse than Rosen did.

DVontel

Rookie
Neither Murray nor Rosen are sure things. There are reasons to believe - based on the length of their college careers, size, playing style, etc that Rosen is at least as likely to succeed as Murray - who I suspect will have a decent year or two before his HC washes out or Kyler gets hurt thanks to his size and playing style.

Trading down can make a lot of sense if done right, for a team that has holes all over. They could have patched holes in multiple places, because they needed help on the OL, receiving corps, RBs, and on defense. Instead they ditched a highly drafted QB for pennies on the dollar - waiting to trade him until actually during the draft instead of giving time for teams to bid against each other by doing it before hand - and using their #1 pick when teams might have wanted to trade up for either a QB or for Bosa, allowing a quicker rebuild.

Oh, and for the record - Brees' career was nearly ended by injury in 2005. It wasn't clear if he'd be able to be effective again, which is why the Chargers low balled him in contract negotiations. Instead, they lost him to the Saints for nothing. And yes, undersized QBs don't have a great injury history - RG3 is just one of many examples. They aren't doomed to injury - but it's a matter of mass.
Yea, there are reasons to believe. Kyler was a better player in college. Better accuracy, better arm strength, ability to make something out of nothing, & I think just a better overall leader. Lets not forget Rosen had a couple concussions back in college. Wow, another non undersized guy with durability problems. Hopefully everyone continues to overthink with Kyler due to size like they did with Aaron Donald.

Like I said, trading down sounds good in theory, but in reality, it usually bites trading back team real hard. You’re playing with Fire when you trade away from blue-chip talent. Indy is one recent team that benefited all of this. Not everything is going to be fixed in a year. It’s going to take time.

I haven’t seen anyone classify RG3 as an undersized QB. He’s not Big Ben, but he’s not Doug Flutie either.

DVontel

Rookie
I did. It wasn't Rosen. It was the awful scheme and lack of coaching. I saw it here in '16 with Goff who looked even worse than Rosen did.
It wasn’t all Rosen, but to believe none of the play was his fault is asinine.

RamFanInPC

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He may be, but it makes absolutely zero sense to list positives when the point you're trying to make is that the Rams are not going to win the west as easily. He can't be too much of a hater if he still thinks/expects that the Rams will win this west.
But if you are only listing one side in order to make your point stronger what is that saying.