Rams are no longer overwhelming favorites in NFC West

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’m not sure how we got worse than last year.
You guys had happy trigger fingers inre Josh Rosen. You should have stuck by him because a rookie's first year doesn't necessarily define him, and the next new guy is not any sort of certainty. Yes, you could have made a mistake here and I hope the Cardinals have, because I think he has behaved in a very classy way, despite the Cardinals organization vacillations. I am officially a Rosen fan now.

DVontel

Rookie
You guys had happy trigger fingers inre Josh Rosen. You should have stuck by him because a rookie's first year doesn't necessarily define him, and the next new guy is not any sort of certainty. Yes, you could have made a mistake here and I hope the Cardinals have, because I think he has behaved in a very classy way, despite the Cardinals organization vacillations. I am officially a Rosen fan now.
And if we kept Rosen, he turns out like another Jameis/Mariota, while Kyler goes on to become a superstar, then what? It’s not a certainty Rosen becomes anything special or even average, either. Now, he’s going to the same situation he was in last year. That’s tough.

If you think the next QB is better than the one you have, you go for it. That man happens to be Kyler. Or, you know, be like teams like the Jags with Bortles, Bucs with Jameis, Titans with Mariota, Dolphins with Tannehill, etc, & just pray & hope for something that just isn’t there year after year with those teams. The Bears with Trubisky are up next.

Make sure you continue to root for Rosen if/when he’s on his 4th team by 2026. Hopefully he wins the classy award as well.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And if we kept Rosen, he turns out like another Jameis/Mariota, while Kyler goes on to become a superstar, then what? It’s not a certainty Rosen becomes anything special or even average, either. Now, he’s going to the same situation he was in last year. That’s tough.

If you think the next QB is better than the one you have, you go for it. That man happens to be Kyler. Or, you know, be like teams like the Jags with Bortles, Bucs with Jameis, Titans with Mariota, Dolphins with Tannehill, etc, & just pray & hope for something that just isn’t there year after year with those teams. The Bears with Trubisky are up next.

Make sure you continue to root for Rosen if/when he’s on his 4th team by 2026. Hopefully he wins the classy award as well.
And if he turns out to be a Jared Goff? That "what if" cuts both ways. After one year, how can you know? The same ownership/management that hired and fired a HC after one year is the same deciding about playing talent (Steve Keim & Bidwell). 3-13 was as much about your defense blowing as anything Rosen did.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I really want to be a homer in this discussion, but until I see both our OL and DL in action, i'll take a more cautious approach. With 2 new & untested starters at LG & OC, and a RG which we observed being overwhelmed at times during his last game, our young QB could see some timing breakdowns along with more defensive penetration disrupting his 'box'. Saffold created some huge holes for our RB's last season, so Noteboom has some very big shoes to fill. Sullivan had a rough year at Center himself, perhaps the learning curve for Allen won't seem quite so high & desperate, and after Blythe received an 'education' from N.E., hopefully he's been spending his off-season in the gym and watching tape. I may not be from Missouri, ... but 'Show Me' before I say all is well. I like the newly added OL & RB depth, but again, these guys are also untested against NFL level competition, so keeping the starting rotation healthy is a priority.

On the other side of the ball, Brockers had the worst year of his career in 2018. If John Franklin-Myers can efficiently take over the bulk of snaps at LDE, Brockers may become more effective in rotation with our new rookie NT, Greg Gaines, substituting in against the more obvious passing downs while Gaines resolves to makeover our rush defense along with Kiser. I'll be very interested in seeing what kind of shape Brockers is in when coming into camp, whether he looks bigger and stronger than after last seasons weight loss. If Brockers is back to his old self as a DT, the Rams defense should be in top form with Weddle joining our already impressive starters in the backfield along with the increased depth of competition at LB with Matthews and a healthy Obo.
We've got some tough early season games, having these new Offensive & Defensive line players ready to go will impact our home field play-off opportunities in a major way. I'm hopeful, but Show Me to make me a believer. jmo.

DVontel

Rookie
And if he turns out to be a Jared Goff? That "what if" cuts both ways. After one year, how can you know? The same ownership/management that hired and fired a HC after one year is the same deciding about playing talent (Steve Keim & Bidwell). 3-13 was as much about your defense blowing as anything Rosen did.
I mean, I’m still not sold on Goff. Especially after that SB performance. So when people use him or Trubisky as examples of turnarounds, that’s not exactly a ringing endorsement to me. That’s quite a decision to make once that new contract approaches.

The FO deserves heat for hiring Wilks in the 1st place, but I do give them credit for pulling the plug sooner rather than later. It was still moronic hiring him in the first place, however.

There were a lot of problems, some out of Rosen’s control. However, he is not blameless. There were numerous plays when he had a clean pocket & a open WR, & yet, still overthrew the WR. Just like in college, his reads were late as well. Darnold & Allen were in horrific situations as well, yet, still showed way higher peaks than Rosen did.

If he leads the Dolphins to the #1 pick & doesn’t show improvement, which is very possible cause of that roster, then there will be a lot of heads turning.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I mean, I’m still not sold on Goff. Especially after that SB performance. So when people use him or Trubisky as examples of turnarounds, that’s not exactly a ringing endorsement to me. That’s quite a decision to make once that new contract approaches.

The FO deserves heat for hiring Wilks in the 1st place, but I do give them credit for pulling the plug sooner rather than later. It was still moronic hiring him in the first place, however.

There were a lot of problems, some out of Rosen’s control. However, he is not blameless. There were numerous plays when he had a clean pocket & a open WR, & yet, still overthrew the WR. Just like in college, his reads were late as well. Darnold & Allen were in horrific situations as well, yet, still showed way higher peaks than Rosen did.

If he leads the Dolphins to the #1 pick & doesn’t show improvement, which is very possible cause of that roster, then there will be a lot of heads turning.
You are crazy.
How many games has Goff missed due to injury? (none). He led the team to its first Super Bowl since 2001 in his third year as pro. In 2019:Rams 13-3
4688 yards passing, 32 TD's, 12 ints....He has gotten progressively better every year as a pro...GTFO with the Trubisky comparison. The Pats figured out the Rams offense, congrats to them...But we still had those bastids held 3-0 in the 4th quarter...and one pass in the endzone with a PI wasn't called, resulting with the Rams on the one yard line...Not complaining, cause some calls go your way and some don't, but that Super Bowl isn't all on Goff.

DVontel

Rookie
You are crazy.
How many games has Goff missed due to injury? (none). He led the team to its first Super Bowl since 2001 in his third year as pro. In 2019:Rams 13-3
4688 yards passing, 32 TD's, 12 ints....He has gotten progressively better every year as a pro...GTFO with the Trubisky comparison. The Pats figured out the Rams offense, congrats to them...But we still had those bastids held 3-0 in the 4th quarter...and one pass in the endzone with a PI wasn't called, resulting with the Rams on the one yard line...Not complaining, cause some calls go your way and some don't, but that Super Bowl isn't all on Goff.
It isn’t all on Goff, but c’mon, he does deserve a majority of it. Especially with the countless missed reads he had & not able to adjust w/o McVay.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It isn’t all on Goff, but c’mon, he does deserve a majority of it. Especially with the countless missed reads he had & not able to adjust w/o McVay.

I really disagree with you. Since you are not a Rams fan, you haven't seen every pass that Goff has thrown, but I have seen most of them. McVay isn't throwing the ball for him and he is damn good at it. All coaches use that headset to help their QB's up till the cut off time, but it's fashionable to bag on Goff because he embarrassed all the hating "experts" after year one. It's like they are looking for any mistake to say "aha, I was right." Well fuck them.

Even after he wins a couple of Super Bowls, they still won't give him any credit. It will all be McVay, they'll say.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I really disagree with you. Since you are not a Rams fan, you haven't seen every pass that Goff has thrown, but I have seen most of them. McVay isn't throwing the ball for him and he is damn good at it. All coaches use that headset to help their QB's up till the cut off time, but it's fashionable to bag on Goff because he embarrassed all the hating "experts" after year one. It's like they are looking for any mistake to say "aha, I was right." Well freak them.

Even after he wins a couple of Super Bowls, they still won't give him any credit. It will all be McVay, they'll say.
Guy puts up similar numbers to the GOAT without his favorite WR Cooper Kupp and people are going to dump on him. It is what it is, he'll just have to prove them wrong this season.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’m not sure how we got worse than last year.
I think your team may be set up better for the future, that doesn't necessarily mean they're better in 2019. It could take some time for Kyler and Kliff to gel and iron things out. His scheme could improve your OLine along with some guys coming back, or it will be just as bad and then you have the smallest QB in the NFL playing some darn good front sevens.

DVontel

Rookie
I really disagree with you. Since you are not a Rams fan, you haven't seen every pass that Goff has thrown, but I have seen most of them. McVay isn't throwing the ball for him and he is damn good at it. All coaches use that headset to help their QB's up till the cut off time, but it's fashionable to bag on Goff because he embarrassed all the hating "experts" after year one. It's like they are looking for any mistake to say "aha, I was right." Well freak them.

But you’re not a Cards fan, so I’m also sure you didn’t see most of Rosen’s throws either.

I’ll definitely give Goff credit if he wins a SB & has much to do with it unlike a Trent Dilfer.

I don’t think Goff is average or anything. Hell, I give Goff massive credit for going on the road & beating the Saints. Just that SB left a very bad taste in a lot of people’s mouths.

DVontel

Rookie
The thing is, nobody knows if Rosen will even be a valuable #2 since the only play people have seen of him is horrific. It would be really pointless to trade for Rosen only to not play him & see what he has got.

dang

Legend
I will concede losing Saffold weakens the left side of the OL. However start of last year to start of this year:
Matthews/Kiser/Littleton/Fowler >>> Ebu/Wilson/Littleton/Longacre

Weddle/Johnson >> Joyner/Johnson

Gurley/Henderson > Gurley/Brown

Everett/Higbee > Higbee/Everett

Now the TBDs

Gaines???
Allen???

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I will concede losing Saffold weakens the left side of the OL. However start of last year to start of this year:
Matthews/Kiser/Littleton/Fowler >>> Ebu/Wilson/Littleton/Longacre

Weddle/Johnson >> Joyner/Johnson

Gurley/Henderson > Gurley/Brown

Everett/Higbee > Higbee/Everett

Now the TBDs

Gaines???
Allen???

I would concede that the LG post will be less effective on run blocking but pass blocking should be close to the same.

The OC post may be a bit rocky early but it should be well on its way to be much stronger by the bye. The RG post will have some serious competition ongoing & IF Blythe is able to hold onto his starting post he will have earned it & should be improved from 2018. I suspect that Blythe will be beat out myself by Evans or Demby.

Kromer has Demby, Evans, Kolone, Edwards, Hitner, Brewer & Neary ...alll ooking for a starting post @ OG.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame

I'm not a Rosen fan (cardinal & gold, fight on).....but make no mistake, this guys got real talent. (If) he finds a home where the OL can protect him, he's got top 10 stat potential.

DVontel

Rookie
It was pretty horrific.

He arguably had one of the worst rookie QB seasons of all time.

Darnold’s play was standard for a rookie QB. Darnold against the Packers showed you big time hope for his future. Cannot say the same for Rosen.

He showed some good things against Seattle(1st matchup) & the last drive against the Niners(2nd matchup). Trust me, I bet I watched more of his throws than you did.