Rams are in serious trouble and ditching Jared Goff may be the only way out

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

…..

Legend
What if......given the same set of circumstances, that Goff actually is playing BETTER than those other quarterbacks would?

it’s possible, and we’ll never know the answer.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I have the perfect video for Steven Ruiz to look at.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
I see the QB defenders are out in full force in this thread. Time to go to some objective stats: Per Football Outsiders:

2018. Goff's QBR was 6th in the NFL.
2019. Goff's QBR is 24th in the NFL.

O Line Pass Protection Stats:
2018. 1st in the NFL in adjusted sack rate.
2019. 3rd in the NFL in adjusted sack rate.

The clear regression of the QB is the primary reason the Rams offense is bad. It's not the offensive line. Goff isn't getting sacked that much more this year, than last year. That's a fact. That the QB is going to be paid like a top 3 QB in the league, and is giving the team 20+ performance, is why the author believes the Rams only chance to get out of the hole is deal Goff.

Because bottomline, if Goff is this bad, and at this salary for the next 3 years, the Rams will not be making the playoffs. So either he needs to play to the level of his contract (like Aaron Donald has), or he needs to be moved to another team so the Rams can accumulate draft capital to rebuild with.
I don't see it this way. Goff deserves some blame but it's mostly on the offensive line. As long as Jarred doesnt get hurt he should come out the other side a better QB because of this year's line.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Oh, and while they are at it maybe they can move Donald as well. This is just one of these stupid ass over reaction threads. We are all shocked and hurting right now but you don't get rid of your best players.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
So what if they improve the offensive line and Goff goes back to leading a 13-3 Superbowl caliber team next season? Will the same guy laud how their patience with Goff paid off?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
What I "believe' is that those numbers indicate that clever playcalling/design combined with superior QB play can mask some of the deficiencies of a OL.

If you prefer to keep Goff and McVay on a untouchable pedelstal, then we will have to agree to disagree.

I don't think anyone in this thread has done that.

And your comparison of perhaps the very best QB to ever play, and certainly the best coach to ever coach, and the longest/biggest dynasty in the history of the sport isn't even close to fair.

Outside of what Otto Graham and Paul Brown did in the mid 40's to mid 50's there has been nothing like the Patriots run. So I will grant you the point that maybe the Patriots are second best ever.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Finally, a thread I can get behind! ~ LACHAMP46

THAT's the name I was trying to remember. Man, he hated Goff, and 2017 and 2018 must have been an absolute nightmare for him. On the other hand, that guy LOVED Brian Quick, and would make any and every excuse in the book for him and his inability to put up good numbers. No amount of evidence to the contrary would ever persuade him that Quick had failed to develop into a quality NFL receiver.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

I agree, and don't see a franchise tag in his case.
I'm not sure the gamble is quite that great so let me insert a name other than Scherff being available, that being our own Andrew Whitworth as our fall-back, on a one year deal while Noteboom continues with his rehab. Scherff's likelihood of a franchise tag appears greater than Littleton imo, and in the event the Rams are unable to secure a top quality offensive lineman thru free agency, just seems like Whitworth might be the logical answer. His CAP hit would also probably be closer to half of what his cost is this season, of course that's if he's willing to put off retirement for one more year. jmo.

Last edited:

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Our online just suks ass..I"ve seen Goff play well, you can't just go from that to play like crap in one year because of the lack of skill sets.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Disregarding the article, Goff hasn’t played well this year. He’s had a couple decent games and one really good one(I thought he was elite vs Seattle). I do wish we had more consistency when things broke down from him. He’s a good athlete so it’s confusing on why he doesn’t use his legs more.

Maybe he should do some film study on Rodgers. I realize Goff doesn’t have the same type of arm strength, but Rodgers is always ready to ditch the pocket before it breaks down. Goff could get sacked 5 times in a row and would still do his normal nonchalant drop back. There just doesn’t seem to be any urgency. Almost a little robotic.

It could just be a case of him having a down year. We have all seen what he can do and accomplish. Peyton Manning in 2003 went 6-10 and had 29 turnovers. It happens sometimes.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Forget a Super Bowl slump. The LA Rams have a Jared Goff problem

The defending NFC champions have wedded themselves to a kind-of-sort-of OK quarterback they’re paying like a superstar and the consequences could be far-reaching

1573839975867.png

The Rams have a Jared Goff problem. At 5-4, in the toughest division in football, the upstart darlings from a year ago are in danger of missing the playoffs.

Sunday’s loss to the Steelers was the most disappointing yet, for Goff and the team. As in last year’s ugly Super Bowl loss, Goff turned into a puddle of panic. He was in a terrible state. His eyes flicked around the field. If he didn’t feel real pressure from an immediate free-rusher, he imagined it. Rarely has fear been so visible in a quarterback’s face. Defenders know; his teammates too.

Goff finished the game with his worst statistical outing of the season: 22-of-41 passing for 243 yards, with a season-low 53.7 completion percentage, no touchdowns, two interceptions, four sacks, and a passer rating barely cracking the 50s.
Lookup any advanced metric and you’ll find Goff in the bottom third of the league: DVOA, 24th; QBR, 28th. Pro Football Focus ranks him as the worst quarterback – by passer rating – under pressure this season.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/nov/12/colin-kaepernick-workout-nfl-atlanta

Yes. This is really the guy the Rams signed to a four-year, $134m contract this offseason, with $120m in guarantees, the highest guaranteed total in the league history. Yikes.

What Goff’s leverage was, nobody knows. Last year’s Rams offense was special. They brought intricacy for the nerds and loud highlights for when you just wanted to see supernova athletes do cool stuff. Sean McVay brought organized disorder. They clobbered people on the ground and through the air. They ran behind the best run-blocking line in the league with the league’s top back. Nobody could keep up with an offense that paired such a run game with a sophisticated play-action plan and creative dropback passing system. Everything fit so artfully.

This year’s updated model is more stilted. Bill Belichick – along with the Lions and Bears – provided a blueprint on how to slow down the Rams creative ground game and confuse Goff. Ignore all the motions and shifts and fun and games. Hit your marks, stay disciplined, do your job, and good things will happen – like against any great offense.

What looked an unstoppable scheme 11 games ago is now stuck in the mud: Everybody is following the Belichick-Fangio-Patrica recipe in some form or fashion; the Rams offensive line has disintegrated; Todd Gurley isn’t the same running back anymore. LA are 21st in offensive efficiency through 10-weeks. They remain balanced – 18th in pass efficiency and 17th in rush efficiency – it’s just that they’re now balanced and bad.

There are no good answers, and that is because the simplest answer – dumping Goff – is a bad one, too. The Rams have 41 players under contract and $26m in projected cap space in 2020. They don’t have a first-round pick in the upcoming draft or in 2021 either. Re-tooling the offensive line under such restraints is damn near impossible.

And It’s not like the team has much flexibility to open up any space. In the NFL, the salary cap is usually a mirage. If teams need to find money to squeeze another player in or get some form of cap relief, they can. They juggle the contracts of their stars, extend players early to give relief now, crisscross contracts (you get an inflated number this year, then a cheap one next year; you get the opposite), and exert leverage to drop the cap numbers of veteran players. Look, we’ll probably cut you anyway, so sign this new deal now with a little more upfront but that gives us more chances to add players this offseason.

The Rams don’t have any tricks up their sleeves. There’s no big money maker they can axe to free the amount of space needed to overhaul this offense. The dead cap numbers for 2020 of some potential money-freeing targets should come with some kind of safety warning:

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The NFL like any other sport is a what have you done for me now league. Instant gratification is what these pundits rely on. Today this is what is happening. When it changes I will write about it.

To say Goff is going to be a big problem going forward is short sighted. Yeah, he's part of the problem today. But he has shown he's capable of playing well. Circumstances are tougher now and its affecting him. To say because of his contract he should overcome all the problems at OL and RB is just lazy.

Quarterbacks get paid. That is life in the NFL. Today he's not living up to the contract. Tomorrow he might be. I have a feeling in about 3 years his contract will be middle of the road and no one will be talking about how crippling it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.