Rams 'actively' trying to re-sign WR Watkins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There goes our 2nd rounder, right down the toilet.

And up comes a 3rd rounder right behind it. $16m per year. C'mon.

It was worth a shot and Goff improved greatly because of the acquisition. No regrets.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And up comes a 3rd rounder right behind it. $16m per year. C'mon.

It was worth a shot and Goff improved greatly because of the acquisition. No regrets.

That's only if we don't sign someone else to replace him, if memory serves...

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's only if we don't sign someone else to replace him, if memory serves...

$20m will be going to Donald. Doesn't leave much for a big name wr. Hopefully enough for Burton.

Tru will be getting $15m per year as well. Lock in a couple of comp picks.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
$20m will be going to Donald. Doesn't leave much for a big name wr. Hopefully enough for Burton.

Tru will be getting $15m per year as well. Lock in a couple of comp picks.

I am not hopeful about re-signing Donald anytime soon before we can franchise him twice...That's our M.O.

RocknRam29

Live, Love, Laugh, & Learn
Screenshot_20180313-013336.png

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
false statement, Watkins did indeed pull up once on a route, McVay talked to hims and OK after that
train

I think it’s pretty true. Sammy gave up on a lot of plays.Reynolds had a huge TD catch against the Saints to help The Rams get the bye.
Sammy ran some poor routes & stopped on plays. The main one was really bad.He gave up really early there.The other times he didn’t work to get open, after the route.

The reason you keep Sammy
2.gave up a 2nd rd pick
3.potential & talent
4.He fits into the organization

Ram65

Legend
So I guess we were all wrong about the amount of money ie boatload of money. My high was 14.5 Mil. Ha!

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Way over paid. Glad Rams sign him to a contract like that. That's top 5 receiver money.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Way over paid. Glad Rams sign him to a contract like that. That's top 5 receiver money.
Not anymore, it's not. Any of the Top 5 WR's hitting the open market this year, would earn one hell of a lot more than Sammy Watkins. Increasing Cap's every year, inflates player salaries...I'm not saying we should have paid Watkins Chief's money, but it seems like we always offer departing FA's what the "market" was in previous years, instead of the current market prices.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Not anymore, it's not. Any of the Top 5 WR's hitting the open market this year, would earn one hell of a lot more than Sammy Watkins. Increasing Cap's every year, inflates player salaries...I'm not saying we should have paid Watkins Chief's money, but it seems like we always offer departing FA's what the "market" was in previous years, instead of the current market prices.
True enough. If we keep winning I'm fine with it lol

Psycho_X

Legend
Disappointed by this but at least he's going to the AFC and not the Whiners. And Robinson going to the Bears probably. A Whiners loss is a win in my book.

But still, I really believe Watkins would have exploded this year. It's hard to commit $16 mil a year on potential and assumptions though. But one more free agent the Rams can't keep in house for whatever reason.

ramsplaya16

The One and Only
Watkins said he didn’t need the money. Nice.

Well I can assure you he didn’t go there to be much more productive. He’ll be the 4th option there...

He got PAID just based on potential. At some point, paying for potential has to stop, he’s been in the league 4 years and still has only shown flashes and hasn’t been able to stay completely healthy besides last year. Good luck to him and happy for him that he got paid, they can have him for that much money

jap

Legend
Sammy is a chess piece with great speed and good-great hands. We simply need to replace that functionality with a cheaper chess piece.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He got PAID just based on potential. At some point, paying for potential has to stop, he’s been in the league 4 years and still has only shown flashes and hasn’t been able to stay completely healthy besides last year.

It will never stop. The market is driven by competition, supply & demand, and wideouts with explosive talent will always get paid when they hit it.

And re: Sammy only showing flashes... Once again take a gander at his first two seasons. He produced in a crap offense in Buffalo up until the injury and drama around another defensive head coach who didn't appreciate the passing game. KC might get burned, but it was a good deal for them IMO to add the field stretching talent to their offense and kid QB.

ramsplaya16

The One and Only
It will never stop. The market is driven by competition, supply & demand, and wideouts with explosive talent will always get paid when they hit it.

And re: Sammy only showing flashes... Once again take a gander at his first two seasons. He produced in a crap offense in Buffalo up until the injury and drama around another defensive head coach who didn't appreciate the passing game. KC might get burned, but it was a good deal for them IMO to add the field stretching talent to their offense and kid QB.

Trust me, I know it will never stop. I’m a basketball coach down here in South Florida and I see all these kids get offers and even money to play for high schools or travel teams based on potential alone, with very little production. It’s crazy what any teams will do for a potential player, not just professional teams.IMO KC already has the field stretching player (a few of them) so Sammy won’t be adding much they already don’t have except another weapon.

He produced in a crap offense in buffalo but didn’t produce in the #1 offense in the league last season, and I don’t buy the he missed training camp argument, as I’ve seen it happen multiple times before with no adverse effects.

I’m not arguing that he doesn’t have the potential to be a #1 receiver. He absolutely does. But his production thus far, in my opinion, doesnt earn him that contract. But as I said in a previous post, a players market is simply what a team will pay for him, and I don’t blame them for paying him that, and I’m happy for him. I’m just happy it wasn’t us giving him that money.

Last edited: