Rams 'actively' trying to re-sign WR Watkins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I’m not arguing that he has his isn’t potential to be a #1 receiver. He absolutely does. But his production thus far, in my opinion, doesnt earn him that contract.

But it did. He just got paid. The market has spoken.

And the Rams considered tagging him down to the wire supposedly, which would have been a reasonably similar cap hit to what he got paid for this year. You might not like it, but the truth is that he was the belle of this particular ball. Hell, I don't like it either, but for a different reason than you... I don't like it because he ran open all over the joint last year. Queue up some all 22 and check it out.

That is why the Rams almost tagged him. In the end, Joyner was more important, and that was a good decision. But I'm not going to act like the Rams were smart for not paying Sammy what KC did. Truth is I still have reservations with the Rams' ability to sign their top players. Seems to me they're better at overpaying lesser talents. Hope I'm wrong, but we'll know pretty soon here.

ramsplaya16

The One and Only
But it did. He just got paid. The market has spoken.

And the Rams considered tagging him down to the wire supposedly, which would have been a reasonably similar cap hit to what he got paid for this year. You might not like it, but the truth is that he was the belle of this particular ball. Hell, I don't like it either, but for a different reason than you... I don't like it because he ran open all over the joint last year. Queue up some all 22 and check it out.

That is why the Rams almost tagged him. In the end, Joyner was more important, and that was a good decision. But I'm not going to act like the Rams were smart for not paying Sammy what KC did. Truth is I still have reservations with the Rams' ability to sign their top players. Seems to me they're better at overpaying lesser talents. Hope I'm wrong, but we'll know pretty soon here.

I would have been more ok with a tag for Watkins rather then the contract he got. I preferred Joyner be tagged though as he seems to be more important to the defense. The reason I would have been ok with the tag would be it would make certain he could stay healthy another season and truly be a good fit for this offense, for that kind of money.

As of now, Watkins is making the 3rd most in the NFL for a receiver, now I understand that changes every year due to the cap going up, but in my opinion, for a receiver with only 1-1,000 yard season, I don’t feel he’s worth it for the rams. As you said, the market has spoken and someone did feel that way, hopefully it works out well for all 3 parties involved

I completely agree with your reservations about the rams retaining their own players, I want to see Donald get paid, we need to retain a talent like him, but then we have Gurley and Goff coming up too, that’s a lot of cap coming up for 3 players, but that’s the price you pay for having good players.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If we believe in him, why wouldn't we match this offer? I mean seriously, if we keep him on a rental deal we're still going to end up paying over $10-13M a year.
That $10 mil to $13 figure went up by a large amount up to $16 million a year for Sammy services.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There goes our 2nd rounder, right down the toilet.

Saying that implies that 2017 had no value. Having Watkins helped the Rams win the division - do they win it without him? Having him helped Goff develop from a laughingstock to a Pro Bowl alternate. Those both have significant value. Plus, as others have pointed out, the Rams are likely to get compensation. Yes, they may sign somebody - they won't sign anybody for $16 million/year or anywhere close. Much of the cap savings are likely to go towards front loading ADs contract.

So does 2017 matter? If it does, saying the 2nd rounder is "right down the toilet" is a serious overreaction, even if you still believe it was something of an overpay.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Saying that implies that 2017 had no value. Having Watkins helped the Rams win the division - do they win it without him? Having him helped Goff develop from a laughingstock to a Pro Bowl alternate. Those both have significant value. Plus, as others have pointed out, the Rams are likely to get compensation. Yes, they may sign somebody - they won't sign anybody for $16 million/year or anywhere close. Much of the cap savings $$$$ are likely to go towards front loading ADs contract.

So does 2017 matter? If it does, saying the 2nd rounder is "right down the toilet" is a serious overreaction, even if you still believe it was something of an overpay.
The 2017 season may indicate that the McVay's offense is capable of large production without a 16 million a year wide out. Maybe those funds should go towards the FUTURE Protection of Goff in the OL????:thinking:

Just needs some fine tuning by McVay pass his rookie HC season. This has me rethinking that this TE cadre is going to play an important increase HD part in this 2018 offense. Even with the possible addition of a drafted TE @ some point too.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Later Sammy, you were more well thought of than your play deserved.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I know Sammy was pretty happy that even not being targetted all the time, he surely loved winning.

Not enough, apparently, because he's once again going to be a "name" WR who makes splash plays for a 6 win team.

I'm more like AD.

I want to win more than anything else. My principles matter. And as a regular guy who never made more than $80k per year who said no to a $1M/yr job offer... I don't have to guess what's important to me.

I don't blame players who simply take the money. The playing career is very short and as we've known since well before the CTE issue, the costs of playing football are severe, even for those who never make it to the NFL. 4 years in college is enough to wreck the better than average athlete.

All that said, I couldn't stomach losing. Not so much in a mercenary way, but because I always insisted those I worked with be as invested as I was.

I had really hoped Sammy would be more about winning, but alas...no.

Moving on... hopefully, McVay will be up to the task like Belichick was when completely changing his O from being a two-headed monster with his TEs to incorporating a bunch of spread concepts.

I have faith that while our O will likely take a small step back (it's rare for teams to consistently score 30ppg) that our O will still be a top O in the league.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is the first year in the NFL that Sammy Watkins has been happy, or so he said. You have to be careful about making changes when things are going well, because you might just find out you are unhappy again. I would not want to be starting all over again on my 3rd team in 5 years! Oh, and the Chiefs overpaid... I don't care how much "potential" he has. IMHO, Sammy will never be a great receiver.

kmramsfan

Old School Ram Fan
Name
Keith
What bugs me most is that we gave up a second and EJ for a one night stand. Les has been big balls Billy this off season so far, but he really miscalculated on this one.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
What bugs me most is that we gave up a second and EJ for a one night stand. Les has been big balls Billy this off season so far, but he really miscalculated on this one.
It won’t be the first or last for any team. I think he helped us and the question needs to be answered as to how we move on.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame

EJ wasn’t really a scheme fit for Wade’s defense.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Ravens reach deal with wide receiver Ryan Grant
Posted by Darin Gantt on March 13, 2018, 8:51 PM EDT
gettyimages-883392010.jpg

Getty Images

Free agency won’t even open for another 19 hours, but somebody needs to cut off the wide receiver market and call it a cab.

According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, the Ravens have agreed to a four-year, $29 million deal with Washington free agent Ryan Grant, which includes $14.5 million guaranteed.

Grant has 84 career receptions for 985 yards and six touchdowns in four seasons.

If the total value of the deal is accurate, that’s $345,238 and change per career reception.

That’s not to say the Ravens can’t use Grant, as their options were limited. But the market for pass-catchers has gone bananas today, with players coming off injury or with middling statistics getting lucrative deals.

From Sammy Watkins (never caught more than 65 passes in a season) getting $16 million a year to Allen Robinson (coming off a torn ACL) getting $14 million per year, the market has skyrocketed for players who are not necessarily stars.

Even players in the 40-catch range are getting $8 million a year (Albert Wilson, Paul Richardson), which means the few remaining options could still do well for themselves.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Count me out of the FA WR market if Ryan Grant is getting 14.5 mill. I think you go Reynolds, Thomas and draft pick (That's RT-DP) over that.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
That Grant contract is the worst of this FA period.

Jesus Christ Baltimore. I know you are desperate at receiver, but what are you doing?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Our offense is pretty damn solid. It is defense this off season and augment both in the draft. I really like where we’re heading.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What the hell's going on? Cap didn't increase THAT much. It's one thing for potential star's salaries increasing faster than the cap - but freaking role players?

The good thing is in a year or two, a bunch of these players will be on the market again, after their cap related cuts.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Let us be honest. Sammy wasn't all that good. His play, at times, was kind of ridiculous, in terms of effort, or knowledge of our system...which is being generous, IMO.. We can replace, or increase that production, and I don't think we will have to look far to find it. Good riddance. Sammy, the lost....the lack of effort, the stopgap...the waste of God given talent.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Count me out of the FA WR market if Ryan Grant is getting 14.5 mill. I think you go Reynolds, Thomas and draft pick (That's RT-DP) over that.

I have to be honest I've never heard of Ryan Grant - even had to Google the dude to find out who the heck he was!! 84 career receptions for 985 yards and six touchdowns in four seasons - ohh yes, he's worth $29m dollars?!?! What are the Ravens thinking???