Rams 'actively' trying to re-sign WR Watkins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
.... then use the added cap space to front load Donald's new deal, add a few mid range FAs for OL/LB/DL depth.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
One thing that could go as a plus here is that Sammy is only 25 yr old when this 2018 season begins. Sammy seeing that WR Mike Evans who was selected after him in the 2014 draft just got a a five-year, $82.5 million contract extension that includes $55 million guaranteed. If Sammy were to have a monster season on the NFL most powerful offense that might end up in the SB he would be in the $$$$$$$$ in 2019 free agency only being ONLY 26 yrs old.

Works for both parties!

If we believe in him, why wouldn't we match this offer? I mean seriously, if we keep him on a rental deal we're still going to end up paying over $10-13M a year.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
we can if we sign AD for 20 mil, cause we will have 31 mil in cap money, to sing our own and a few others
train
Let's drop a $120 million, 8 year contract for AD...:rockon:

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why didn't we apply the transition tag on Watkins???? Anyone know?

Two reasons. First, transition tag is nearly useless - teams just adjust when the pay comes in the contract so the original team can't afford to match it - and there's no comp in that case. Second, they used the franchise tag this year, and can't do both.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Why didn't we apply the transition tag on Watkins???? Anyone know?
The question will likely be whether the Rams are willing to pay $2-3 million per year more than they want to keep Watkins. That’s another role player. But if they lose Watkins and the passing game takes a big hit, that marginal cost might seem affordable in hindsight.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Another thought. Maybe knowing that the Rams will get another 3rd round comp pick in 19' gives Sneed some flexibility in trading a 3rd next year to move up 5 or 6 spots for Vea?

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Another thought. Maybe knowing that the Rams will get another 3rd round comp pick in 19' gives Sneed some flexibility in trading a 3rd next year to move up 5 or 6 spots for Vea?
It's a pretty deep tackle class . I'm a fan of keeping our picks and waiting

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
It's a pretty deep tackle class . I'm a fan of keeping our picks and waiting

I normally agree with that.... in fact I would like a move down, but Ve a would be a perfect fit here and could be worth it.

Had the Rams been forced to trade a 3rd to move up for Donald, it wpuld have been worth it.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
We are deep at receiver. I say take the third rounder, focus on Donald and move on.

Free agency sucks. I miss the good ol' days where the tickets were cheap, slow white guys lumbered down the field, and the players had jobs in the off-season to make ends meet.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
We are deep at receiver. I say take the third rounder, focus on Donald and move on.

Free agency sucks. I miss the good ol' days where the tickets were cheap, slow white guys lumbered down the field, and the players had jobs in the off-season to make ends meet.

My Dad tells me he remembers as kid going to an Eagles training camp when Sonny Jergenson played for the Eagles... The guy had a beer gut as did quite a few skill position guys not t9 mention the lineman. Back then they lifted weights in the off-season 12 oz at a time it seemed.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek

And I thought I was old. Back in the sixties when was a wee little brat, if my memory serves me right, football was their job, except for a small minority.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
My Dad tells me he remembers as kid going to an Eagles training camp when Sonny Jergenson played for the Eagles... The guy had a beer gut as did quite a few skill position guys not t9 mention the lineman. Back then they lifted weights in the off-season 12 oz at a time it seemed.
Joe Namath was out partying and drinking right before their championship game with the colts.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Nah. I wouldn't do that. This is such a talented draft class. We'll have a shot at a really good player where we are (or in a trade down).

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Didn’t Sonny also smoke on the sidelines?