Rams 2023 coaching changes

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I watch them two more times after the Sunday they played. Why is that so challenging for you to figure out?

I do usually rewatch the entire season in August, before the new one.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Or maybe the NFL is all about schemes? And when they don't succeed every year? Shit happens. Having a great O line is good but when you have the O line, you gotta have the scheme and the QB. How come Dallas hasn't won shit in years? Dak? Or Garrett? Or McCarthy? Or scheme? Wasn't Cleveland's line supposed to be great? Baker? Or Stefanski? Or scheme? Hell, SF has had monster O lines? The scheme? Sure they have that or so I hear. QB? Not so much. The excuse there is the injuries. Jimmy G., Purdy, etc.

McVay came on the scene and people "figured him out"? The way I hear it...with the successful head coaches like McVay, if their scheme is executed properly it doesn't matter if the defense knows what's coming. That's why they're "genius" head coaches. If it's not executed properly, then something goes wrong. With Shanahan it's injuries to the QB. With McVay it's injuries to the O line. It's not "they don't invest in the O line". Yeah, sure. Just like SF doesn't invest in QBs? :wow2:There are excellent O lineman across the league who haven't been drafted in the first two rounds. I'd bet at least as many who are drafted in the first two rounds.

Healthy O lines, good QB, good scheme = success. And there's got to be a decent defense. Not Morris of course. :sunglasses:Decent.

But fans confuse injuries with lack of talent. Like in 2019. They sucked. No they weren't healthy. When the starting 5 began the year the offense averaged 28 PPG over the first 5 games. In game 6 when the injuries started on their 2nd possession vs SF, they looked like they were going to dominate the game. They didn't throw a pass. Didn't run the ball for less than 5 yards. Drove 56 yards on 7 plays and scored 7. Then the shit hit the fan. But that line gets disparaged for being "bad". Same thing this year. They had a bad game vs Buffalo and the injuries started in week 2. Yet they still managed to win 2 games. The attrition moved quickly. Like Covid in a submarine.
I have no idea what this has to do with you calling Joe Noteboom a stud. Yes, that’s what you said. Maybe to you a stud isn’t really that good?
I haven’t heard anybody make the statement that this years Oline sucked once the injuries happened. Nobody expected it to be great before the season, so why would they expect it to be great after the injuries?

Regarding McVays scheme, you apparently didn’t listen to him talk about how it’s important to change things each year. Why would you think that is? Maybe because he learned that no matter how good he thinks his ideas are, defensive coordinators will figure it out. Example: 2018-2019 teams started stacking the line and rushing six. McVay continued to run his same scheme at it with little success. Since solely running his 11 personnel scheme for a few years we’ve seen him switch things up. Even this year we saw a fullback added. Your entire post is dated.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
This is a noble sentiment, and I totally agree... but it's America in the 21st century. Why make reasoned, empirical judgments when you can spout off with any opinion you want, or even better, start a conspiracy theory?
That’s not what this is. Again, PA said he’s a stud. Then why is he the seventeenth paid OLT? Why didn’t he go get ‘Stud’ money?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Sounds like an exciting month in the Elmgrovegnome household.
I don’t make the whole family watch the games again. I just need a refresher for my declining memories. For the record, I may watch the first few games from 2022, but not the entire season. It would be far too painful.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Improved is one thing. Whitworth seemed to help a lot. But I’d it really the Oline coach when a key player like Edwards declines as drastically as he did?
Edwards decline is Kromers fault? Ok not sure I follow you here. Like others have said Whit helped but we got good play from several other guys including some younger ones when players went out. I just don't get how somebody can look at that OLine and not see an improvement across the board when Kromer came to the Rams.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Edwards decline is Kromers fault? Ok not sure I follow you here. Like others have said Whit helped but we got good play from several other guys including some younger ones when players went out. I just don't get how somebody can look at that OLine and not see an improvement across the board when Kromer came to the Rams.
It's time to change your avatar back to #85.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I didn’t say Edwards decline was Kromers fault. You are misconstruing the point to fit yours.

You’ve got your mind made up, as do I. So there is no point in continuing this conversation.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Improved is one thing. Whitworth seemed to help a lot. But I’d it really the Oline coach when a key player like Edwards declines as drastically as he did?

I didn’t say Edwards decline was Kromers fault. You are misconstruing the point to fit yours.

You’ve got your mind made up, as do I. So there is no point in continuing this conversation.
I think we're done here. You have some problem with Kromer the rest of us are fine with the job he did for us.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I think we're done here. You have some problem with Kromer the rest of us are fine with the job he did for us.
Yeah, that's best.

He watches only once and sees all he needs to see with the OL

Or

He watches twice, sometimes 3 times to focus on the OL/DL

I guess the truth depends on who's involved in the discussion and what viewpoint they bring.

I know what I saw re-watching the games and that's enough for me. Let's see what the guys who really know what's going on decide to do.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

Could it be possible that Elmgrovegnome was on the beach that day? I'm just spit-balling here!

Arrested for Allegedly Punching Boy During Argument Over Beach Chairs, Cops Say​

Kromer was charged with misdemeanor battery for getting into a fight with three boys over beach chairs​

By Tara Fowler

Published on July 13, 2015

Buffalo Bills offensive line coach Aaron Kromer was arrested in Florida early Sunday morning for allegedly punching a boy and threatening to kill his family in a dispute over beach chairs, PEOPLE has confirmed.

In a statement posted to the Walton County Sheriff’s Office Facebook page, police said that Kromer was charged with misdemeanor battery for getting into a fight with three boys at Inlet Beach Saturday after they reportedly took his beach chairs.

“Victims told deputies Kromer grabbed their fishing pole and threw the pole into the water and then pushed one of the boys to the ground and punched him in the face,” the statement reads. “It was stated Kromer then told the boys to return the chairs to where they found them.”

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
That’s not what this is. Again, PA said he’s a stud. Then why is he the seventeenth paid OLT? Why didn’t he go get ‘Stud’ money?
Sure appears that Noteboom was "Fools Gold Starting LT Material" to most of us since he was drafted.

I was right there in the promotion to resign #70 as anyone else here in ROD. He has proven to be a smooth very good pass protector in his cameo starts & appearances in the LT post starting in 2020.

In hindsight, I do think that the real reason OL coach Kromer inserted the very good pass protector Noteboom in # LG was due to Noteboom's total lack of physicality. It was Kromer who put in that great amount of effort involved in grooming #70 to be a well-rounded starting LT. Stamp it in Fail Mode at this time!

Inserting #70 @ LG was Kromer's attempt to toughen up the "very passive" #70 & help get his run-blocking performance improved. Both the 2019 [5 starts]& 2020 [6 starts] seasons where Noteboom started @ LG ended in failure as #70 was IR in both seasons.

#70 did return to health in 2020 to start 4 gms @ LT for the injured Whitworth. This was the first LT starting event for #70. In 2021 #70 once again fills in for Whitworth for 1 regular season game & in the playoffs until he was injured again & placed on IR.

After FIVE NFL seasons, #70 has well proven he can not be depended on to remain healthy as a starting OL'er in the NFL. In #70's 2023 season (if he can play) it will be the reserve LT duty for him @ a great salary cap cost!

Having two passive type OL'ers playing next to each other (Noteboom/Edwards) was doomed to failure.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
There you go again. I have no problem with Kromer. He did a better job than Carberry. He’s an average Oline coach who like many other needs a few really good players to have a really good Oline

You are wrapped up in what you want to think I’m saying. This entire discussion stemmed from someone calling Noteboom a stud and I questioned it, and it’s turned into me hating the entire line and every Oline coach McVay has hired.

It’s a far fetched convoluted bunch of BS.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There you go again. I have no problem with Kromer. He did a better job than Carberry. He’s an average Oline coach who like many other needs a few really good players to have a really good Oline

You are wrapped up in what you want to think I’m saying. This entire discussion stemmed from someone calling Noteboom a stud and I questioned it, and it’s turned into me hating the entire line and every Oline coach McVay has hired.

It’s a far fetched convoluted bunch of BS.
WOW Going to extremes to play the victim that's impressive. I never said anything you just replied to me about your opinions. You've been arguing that Kromer wasn't a good OL coach and under him our OL wasn't good. Your words your arguments not me putting words in your mouth.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Are All Signs Pointing to the Colts Hiring Eagles OC Shane Steichen After the Super Bowl?

Timing-wise, signs are pointing to Eagles offensive coordinator Shane Steichen as the franchise’s next hire.

By Luke Schultheis Feb 10, 2023
1246674570.0.jpg

The Indianapolis Colts have begun trimming their finalist pool down for the franchise’s next head coach and likely have honed in on a single choice, which begs the question, what are they waiting on exactly to announce the hire?

Could it be that the coordinator they’re planning on hiring as their next head coach is currently still coaching in this weekend’s Super Bowl, i.e., Philadelphia Eagles offensive coordinator Shane Steichen:

View: https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/1624080503036080130?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1624080839783874564%7Ctwgr%5E838254beabdd3c8cf799704a7588f97daee6b6a5%7Ctwcon%5Es3_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.stampedeblue.com%2F2023%2F2%2F10%2F23594626%2Fare-all-signs-pointing-to-the-colts-hiring-eagles-oc-shane-steichen-after-the-super-bowl

Having been jilted at the altar by former New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels last go around in 2018, it’s possible that the Colts will want to see the ink fully dry on any head coaching contract—which means waiting on Steichen to wrap up his prolonged season.

It’s also possible that the league wants to keep the focus on the Super Bowl and doesn’t want NFL teams announcing big moves in the week ahead of its biggest game of the year (for example, think about when the MLB was upset when A-Rod opted out of his mega-contract during Game 4 of the 2007 World Series). There could be a league-wide hush order of sorts.

It’s not that all eyes are on the Arizona Cardinals and Colts imminent head coaching hires per se, but the league may want to keep the sole focus on the Super Bowl in the national media and in the news cycle.

In any case, the Colts have not announced their hire yet, which seems at least slightly unusual timing-wise—even for the most patient of the Horseshoe’s faithful.

Right now, all signs point to Steichen, but no one outside W. 56th Street knows for sure yet.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think Kromer played favorites and let that affect his judgment in who played. But that ship has sailed tbh and he paid in the way all coaches pay eventually, with his job. His era with us was a big upgrade to prior.

Carberry is similar. Good in many ways but not good enough. His lines two seasons in a row started the season looking like shit then improved going forward. Ironically his job last year given what he had to deal with was impressive in some ways, but life in the NFL as a coach is not fair.

McVay needs an OL coach who can inspire in the run game while also not letting too much drop in pass pro. It's a tall order but maybe he got it right this time.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Right now, all signs point to Steichen, but no one outside W. 56th Street knows for sure yet.
Yeah I think he'll be the guy. But I don't think Irsay is a good owner for a young coach. Ironically enough the best coach they've interviewed in that respect is probably Morris.

Thing is Morris can't offer the promise of bringing a young QB online in an offense that suits his skills. Steichen can. And the benefit is we get another season of Morris and hopefully he can find his balls on gameday if they bring in some more quality on that back end for him.