Rams 2023 coaching changes

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Jerry Springer on Special Teams? Well at least they would have attitude.

fight punch GIF by The Jerry Springer Show

View: https://youtu.be/AnwgbH0TPbI?t=23

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You were very high on Kromer when he was hired. He had good personnel in Buffalo. It made him look better than he was.

The Rams Oline has been okay. It hasn’t been great or even good at times. A lot of the Rams success is scheme. McVay works around the Olines weaknesses. If these guys were so well coached why aren’t they a top five Oline every year.

If you are saying that Kromer did a better job coaching a subpar group than Carberry did, then I’d agree. Neither of those coaches are premiere Oline coaches.
Elm, I respect your opinion, but I don't share it. Our OL was one of the best in the NFL in 2017 and 2018 (after being terrible in 2016). It hasn't reached those heights again because Snead and McVay haven't prioritized putting major resources into it.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Injuries are not everything but they are a tremendously important factor in O-Line-play. In part, because a healthy O-Line has continuity that allows its players to better handle in-game adjustments, and games and stunts by the defensive front.

For example, in 2017 there was only one team in the NFL that had all five O-Linemen start the first 15 games of the season. That was the Rams, before they sat multiple starters in the final game. That Rams' team led the NFL in scoring.

In 2018, the Rams were the only team in the entire NFL to have all five of its O-Linemen start all 16 games. That Rams' team was 2nd in the NFL in scoring but scored more points than they did in 2017.

This past season, the Rams' projected five O-Line starters missed a total of 38 games.

By comparison, the four teams that played on AFC/NFC Championship weekend, all had healthy O-Lines in the Regular Season. Those four teams Offensive Linemen combined missed a mere 15 games.

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Injuries are not everything but they are a tremendously important factor in O-Line-play. In part, because a healthy O-Line has continuity that allows its players to better handle in-game adjustments, and games and stunts by the defensive front.

For example, in 2017 there was only one team in the NFL that had all five O-Linemen start the first 15 games of the season. That was the Rams, before they sat multiple starters in the final game. That Rams' team led the NFL in scoring.

In 2018, the Rams were the only team in the entire NFL to have all five of its O-Linemen start all 16 games. That Rams' team was 2nd in the NFL in scoring but scored more points than they did in 2017.

This past season, the Rams' projected five O-Line starters missed a total of 38 games.

By comparison, the four teams that played on AFC/NFC Championship weekend, all had healthy O-Lines in the Regular Season. Those four teams Offensive Linemen combined missed a mere 15 games.
Yes, we need younger, stronger, healthier, more talented Olinemen. Quit going cheap, Les, and no more toy WR's.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I only watch them live once and on replay once to focus on one guy. I will watch them a third time if I want to focus on another guy. I don't know what Noteboom has not done to earn your evaluation but from my eye, he's solid.

"Noteboom isn't very good" is a statement. But anybody can say anything about any player. Specific examples would be better. And hint: He's susceptible to the bull rush isn't one. It's just another statement.

Nick Bosa is supposed to be all world. How did Noteboom do vs him this year? Give me your breakdown. I'll give you Bosa's stats for that game......2 sacks, 5 QB hits, 2 TFL.....but I'd like you to tell me how many of them did he get vs Noteboom and how many did he get vs Havenstein?

Same with Micah Parsons.
Von Miller beat him once.....yes, on a bullrush......but VM has beaten the best of them.
I haven’t watched games since the week of the games. I know what I see. I’m not watching them again to serve you. We’ve seen Noteboom for a few years and he was his best as Whit’s backup.

Let’s attack it from another side. Noteboom will be making 8.5 million with a roster bonus of 5 million. So basically 13.5 million. That’s 17th in the league. Which is skewed because there are better Left Tackles on rookie deals. So he’s more likely in the 20’s somewhere.

Now if he’s as good as you say, then why wouldn’t he and his agent bet on him to land a bigger more competitive contract? Left Tackle is a premiere position. Surely someone as good as Noteboom could have gotten a lot more money, maybe in the 17-20 million per year range. But he can’t can he? He’s a middle of the road or less tackle that the Rams, without a first round pick needed to overpay because the desperately needed to hang onto him. Noteboom wouldn’t have gotten that contract from any other team.

What’s even better is that the undrafted free agent l, Jackson is a better Left Tackle than Noteboom. But Joe is not a guard. So he also lacks versatility.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Elm, I respect your opinion, but I don't share it. Our OL was one of the best in the NFL in 2017 and 2018 (after being terrible in 2016). It hasn't reached those heights again because Snead and McVay haven't prioritized putting major resources into it.
Consider the circumstances. McVay comes into the league with some fresh ideas and gets the league on its heels. We saw the same thing with San Francisco and Kaepernick running the zone read offense. It took a full off-season for a team to figure out how to defend it and even then, in year two not all teams caught up to it.

Unfortunately for the Rams teams figured out how to defend McVay’s offense. Suddenly some of the Rams offensive linemen looked bad. Inside pressure was killing the Rams. The guards and Center suddenly looked were a weakness.

So was the line really that great? Believe me when I say that I was absolutely giddy in 2017 when Goff had so much time to sit back and pick apart defenses. But it was a mirage built on scheme.

In regards to the fact that Snead hasn’t invested resources in the line: Have they ever invested real tesources in the line aside from signing Whitworth and drafting Havenstein? I know they tried but 3rd-7th round picks aren’t exactly prioritizing future needs on the Oline. One player that seemed to workout for a short time was Edwards. Maybe his successful years were due to Kromer’s coaching.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You are right. The Rams had one of the best Olines in the league :eyeroll:
It was vastly improved from what he took over. Sorry most everybody seems to agree on that point.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
So after this year......with the firings and hirings.......there are only 8 head coaches who've been with their current team more than 4 years.
Belichick (28 yrs), Andy Reid (24 yrs), Carroll (17 yrs), Tomlin (16 yrs), Harbaugh (16 yrs), McVay, Shanahan and McDermott (all 6 yrs exp). Shockingly, two thirds of NFL teams have coaches who've only been their HC for 5 years or less. Eight of them have prior experience. McCarthy (16 yrs total), Rivera (16 yrs), Payton (15 yrs), Pederson (6 yrs), Reich (5 yrs), Bowles (4 yrs), Allen (4 yrs) and McDaniels (3 yrs).

Which got me to thinking about McVay and Shanahan. Each have 3 assistant coaches who've become head coaches in the NFL. And so far, they've been successful. Saleh is the only one who hasn't made the postseason but the Jets seem to just need a QB. And of the 8 old timers like Belichick (6 Lombardi's), Reid (1 maybe 2.), Carroll (1), Tomlin (1), McCarthy (1), Harbaugh (1), Payton (1) and Rivera (0), just one has more Lombardi's than McVay.

That leaves 19 head coaches of which 6 came off Shanahan's or McVay's staffs and 5 of them have made the playoffs. Hell, those two and their off shoots that's 25% of the NFL (and that could sorta grow if Morris gets a job). Shanahan (13 yrs as an NFL assistant), despite his roots, waited longer than any of them besides Saleh (17 yrs) to become a head coach. Mike McDaniel is next with 11 yrs, LaFleur with 10, McVay with 8, Taylor 7, O'Connell 7 and Staley 4. Seems McVay and his guys get their quicker. McVay is #9 in NFL head coaching tenure, tied with Pederson (also with 1 Lombardi), Shanahan and McDermott. And Pederson is already on his 2nd team.

So these guys getting hired this year know they gotta do something quick or sayonara. Which of those old timers are going to be riding off into the sunset in the near future? Reid is safe but like him, Rivera, McCarthy and Payton are on their 2nd team. And Carroll (also on his second) hasn't won a Lombardi the last 9 years, Harbaugh the last 10 and Tomlin the last 14 years. Hell the last time Payton was a champ was 2009, McCarthy 2010, but they both got new jobs. Good head coaches are hard to come bye. Just like franchise QBs.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Consider the circumstances. McVay comes into the league with some fresh ideas and gets the league on its heels. We saw the same thing with San Francisco and Kaepernick running the zone read offense. It took a full off-season for a team to figure out how to defend it and even then, in year two not all teams caught up to it.

Unfortunately for the Rams teams figured out how to defend McVay’s offense. Suddenly some of the Rams offensive linemen looked bad. Inside pressure was killing the Rams. The guards and Center suddenly looked were a weakness.

So was the line really that great? Believe me when I say that I was absolutely giddy in 2017 when Goff had so much time to sit back and pick apart defenses. But it was a mirage built on scheme.

In regards to the fact that Snead hasn’t invested resources in the line: Have they ever invested real tesources in the line aside from signing Whitworth and drafting Havenstein? I know they tried but 3rd-7th round picks aren’t exactly prioritizing future needs on the Oline. One player that seemed to workout for a short time was Edwards. Maybe his successful years were due to Kromer’s coaching.
Or maybe the NFL is all about schemes? And when they don't succeed every year? Shit happens. Having a great O line is good but when you have the O line, you gotta have the scheme and the QB. How come Dallas hasn't won shit in years? Dak? Or Garrett? Or McCarthy? Or scheme? Wasn't Cleveland's line supposed to be great? Baker? Or Stefanski? Or scheme? Hell, SF has had monster O lines? The scheme? Sure they have that or so I hear. QB? Not so much. The excuse there is the injuries. Jimmy G., Purdy, etc.

McVay came on the scene and people "figured him out"? The way I hear it...with the successful head coaches like McVay, if their scheme is executed properly it doesn't matter if the defense knows what's coming. That's why they're "genius" head coaches. If it's not executed properly, then something goes wrong. With Shanahan it's injuries to the QB. With McVay it's injuries to the O line. It's not "they don't invest in the O line". Yeah, sure. Just like SF doesn't invest in QBs? :wow2:There are excellent O lineman across the league who haven't been drafted in the first two rounds. I'd bet at least as many who are drafted in the first two rounds.

Healthy O lines, good QB, good scheme = success. And there's got to be a decent defense. Not Morris of course. :sunglasses:Decent.

But fans confuse injuries with lack of talent. Like in 2019. They sucked. No they weren't healthy. When the starting 5 began the year the offense averaged 28 PPG over the first 5 games. In game 6 when the injuries started on their 2nd possession vs SF, they looked like they were going to dominate the game. They didn't throw a pass. Didn't run the ball for less than 5 yards. Drove 56 yards on 7 plays and scored 7. Then the shit hit the fan. But that line gets disparaged for being "bad". Same thing this year. They had a bad game vs Buffalo and the injuries started in week 2. Yet they still managed to win 2 games. The attrition moved quickly. Like Covid in a submarine.

Last edited:

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Jerry Springer on Special Teams? Well at least they would have attitude.

fight punch GIF by The Jerry Springer Show

This is what I hope our new oline coach instills.
Attitude and physicality.

Hopefully we can have better luck injury wise,
as well as add some new blood in that room.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
But I would ask anybody who thinks...expounds....repeats what they hear about Noteboom not being any good to rewatch the game and focus just on him.
This is a noble sentiment, and I totally agree... but it's America in the 21st century. Why make reasoned, empirical judgments when you can spout off with any opinion you want, or even better, start a conspiracy theory?

madrid311

RomandeacondickersonolsenwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Madrid311
I personally was never a fan of Evans but that's just me. But it will be interesting next year, there is always a guy on the OL for the Rams that fans like to abuse. Who's it gonna be?
left tackle

madrid311

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Madrid311
That and with the offer from Dallas, they just agreed to mutually part ways. Overall, McVay retained Fassel, so maybe he just wanted someone else and maybe Fassel really wanted the Dallas job and McVay felt if he wanted to leave, that was fine.

Be interested to see where McVay goes this time, I expect somebody from college to an assistant ST Coach somewhere because of the last two although DeCamillis did improve things over John Letgoofmyego.
hopefully he stops dicking around and hires a killer st coach, A kickass dc if Morris leaves and a rb coach that knows how to run, run, run. lots of ass kicking this year coach!

madrid311

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Madrid311
065960174bc1e41701adc4e45d2246d2.jpg

11-0 to start

Lost in the cold at Minnesota

Probably best Rams team of that era...I was 10.

#21 Eddie Meador went to college with my Dad.

Over on the far right is a Special Teams coach that had some success with the Rams.

065960174bc1e41701adc4e45d2246d2.jpg

11-0 to start

Lost in the cold at Minnesota

Probably best Rams team of that era...I was 10.

#21 Eddie Meador went to college with my Dad.

Over on the far right is a Special Teams coach that had some success with the Rams.
That was the year Joe cap invited my dad to a rams Vikings game in L.A. they went to high school together and were good friends. my dad's mom wouldn't let him play the fooseball, so he went on to win all cif awards in scoring in basketball for hart high school in Newhall. Joe played basketball with him and football. pops didn't take his scholarship to AZ. met my mom, had me and went to work for gm. joe went on to piss me off in 69. lol. go rams.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It was vastly improved from what he took over. Sorry most everybody seems to agree on that point.
Improved is one thing. Whitworth seemed to help a lot. But I’d it really the Oline coach when a key player like Edwards declines as drastically as he did?