Rams 2023 coaching changes

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Keep in mind, he was just the assistant OL coach, Aaron Kromer was above him and thus bears more responsibility for their line and any issues they have.

I'll take a wait and see approach with Coach Chewbacca.
Bingo. I can’t believe some are judging this hire based on the Buffalo OL. Dude was an assistant lol. He might suck; he might be great. Idk. But I’m not judging him beforehand based on that aspect. He’s now in charge of the OL and his ideas, opinions, coaching, etc. will be implemented- as opposed to basically learning and doing what his boss says.

As to NE hiring Klemm instead. Well McVay has no problem (and tends to prefer) hiring the very young, rising type coaches versus older established guys. Belicheat at this age probably is a bit more risk adverse.

I’ll trust McVay that he likes the guy and his ideas. Hopefully he doesn’t suck - and hopefully they give him some decent guys to utilize along the OL.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Agree but the 1999 and 2021 Rams won the Super Bowl. Later criticism was (is) annoying.

The teams I listed have won a ton but no Lombardi; and their fans could look at their teams, despite all the winning, as failures. That’s brutal.
Agree...I survived the 70's as a Rams fan...as an 8 yr old I balled my eyes out after the 75' NFCCG blowout loss to the Cowboys...wasn't much better in 76' and 78'. Made 79' bitter sweet...getting to the SB, playing valiantly, but still losing.... and that of course made 99' & later 21' great.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
Looks like the wish.com version of Opie from S.O.A.
opiehero1uehd.gif
Man that scene was rough. Opie was my favorite character in Sons

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Agree...I survived the 70's as a Rams fan...as an 8 yr old I balled my eyes out after the 75' NFCCG blowout loss to the Cowboys...wasn't much better in 76' and 78'. Made 79' bitter sweet...getting to the SB, playing valiantly, but still losing.... and that of course made 99' & later 21' great.
Since you seem like a good guy, I’m happy for you that you were a little too young to remember the 1974 NFCCG in MN. Every bit as brutal as the ‘76 game.

I was 14 and 16, and those games scarred me.
“I have been a contender”

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
TE Coach is involved in all facets of the Offense, blocking (Pass & Run) plus receiving & running proper routes. The TE Coach works hand in hand with everyone else associated with the offense. In Caley's case, I'm hoping he will get involved in the run blocking schemes as the Ram TE's could improve in this area IMHO.
I understand the reasoning behind it, the X's and O's, but I wonder if they're really teaching our TEs how to block Nick Bosa, or do they differ to the OL coach.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Both John Benton & Wendell had connections with Rams new hires .
Wendell is younger and played multiple years in the league, IMO, that was what McVay was looking for as he interviewed Bears Assistant OL Coach Austin King, who played for Tampa. Overall, the Bills OL did struggle down the stretch, but they seem to be very good under Bobby Johnson & Wendell as Johnson followed Brian Daboll to New York.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Agree...I survived the 70's as a Rams fan...as an 8 yr old I balled my eyes out after the 75' NFCCG blowout loss to the Cowboys...
FWIW, I remember that 1975 NFC Championship game too being only 9 years old and just like you that 37-7 ass kicking, brought to tears. I always blamed Chuck Knox for not starting a hot Jaworski over a rusty James Harris, but Knox went with Harris because he was finally healthy.

Jaworski did come in later, but Tom Dempsey blew it too in that game with missed or botched FG's.

mdgmwd6i2nmg8o5admdw

Tano

Legend
Since you seem like a good guy, I’m happy for you that you were a little too young to remember the 1974 NFCCG in MN. Every bit as brutal as the ‘76 game.

12 and 14 here

74 really sucked because I still haven't seen Mack move

Tano

Legend
FWIW, I remember that 1975 NFC Championship game too being only 9 years old and just like you that 37-7 ass kicking, brought to tears. I always blamed Chuck Knox for not starting a hot Jaworski over a rusty James Harris, but Knox went with Harris because he was finally healthy.

Jaworski did come in later, but Tom Dempsey blew it too in that game with missed or botched FG's.

mdgmwd6i2nmg8o5admdw
Wasn't that one where Minnesota returned a blocked kick from the 1 yard line for a TD

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I've lived through them all from the late 60's on. Though they were eliminated in the CCG many times, I felt proud they got there. Then as I got older, I wondered why we could go 12-2 and lose. Looking back it's crystal clear..... Chuck Knox = the Shottenheimer of the 70's

oldnotdead

Legend
Ryan Wendell, the positive is he was a decent player. I'm willing to give him a pass until he proves himself. The downside is his mentor has been Kromer for the last two years. Kromer was clueless in developing young players and using more than a simplistic zone concept.

If he can take the raw iron ore and scrap metal the Rams tend to have on their OL into solid armor then I'm all for it. I had hoped they would have signed Whitworth as their OL coach, but he's making way too much money in broadcasting. The main thing is his eye for OL talent on his roster. Kromer sucked at it. But as a former player, I'm hoping Wendell can see what Kromer never could.

Regarding Mike LaFleur it's clear that his impact will be twofold. As I expected he won't be calling the plays, but he will put the game plan together with McVay's final approval, and most of all he will offer his input on run play design. In that capacity, he should be a good addition. It will boost his standing as a future HC candidate in 2024 & 2025.

DC is where the Rams need help. They lost out on Evero, I hope McVay isn't going to make do with Morris again. His defenses have never been top tier and now Morris can't complain about lack of talent.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Wasn't that one where Minnesota returned a blocked kick from the 1 yard line for a TD
No in 75 they played the Cowboys and Dempsey missed on FG and got the other one block that was returned into Rams territory.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Ryan Wendell, the positive is he was a decent player. I'm willing to give him a pass until he proves himself. The downside is his mentor has been Kromer for the last two years. Kromer was clueless in developing young players and using more than a simplistic zone concept.
Kromer has only been there one year, Bobby Johnson was their OL Coach, but left with Brian Daboll to go to New York. Aaron Kromer has only been the Bills OL Coach under McDermott for the 2022 season.

oldnotdead

Legend
Thank you I see my typo. Got blurred vision due to new blood pressure med. But yes you are correct regarding Kromer's tenure.

Tano

Legend
No in 75 they played the Cowboys and Dempsey missed on FG and got the other one block that was returned into Rams territory.
Sorry I was responding to the wrong one - Wasn't there a playoff game against the Vikings that had his kick blocked at the 1 yard line and returned for a TD.

Edit - okay I was remembering this play from 1976

Vikings Rams 1976

Facing a fourth down and just inches away from a game-defining touchdown, Rams coach Chuck Knox lost his nerve. He responded to the opportunity by sending in Tom Dempsey for an "easy" 17-yard field goal try. Nate Allen, a defensive back and special teams ace acquired from San Francisco earlier in the season, ensured that Knox would regret his decision. Allen darted in from the right side and fully extended himself as Dempsey kicked. The ball went off Allen's chest and bounced into the waiting arms of Bobby Bryant at the 10-yard line. The veteran cornerback ran 90 yards untouched down the left sideline to deliver a momentum-stealing 7-0 lead.

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
As a former Center, OG & asst. OL Coach, not only do I have high hopes for Ryan Wendell's ability to train up current Rams personnel, but also if he can single out and push McSnead into a couple of quality OL draft picks, true difference makers, then his value will be well proven. jmo.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

Actually, that was the first Rams game I remember watching, although I know I was a Rams fan prior to that because I remember looking forward to seeing the game and I also remember being in first grade and going to the library looking at the article the following week in Sports Illustrated.

For some reason I just don't remember details of their games prior to that....even the Divisional playoff game that year. I do remember 1st & goal in 74', the phantom false start, and then the failure to punch it in.

And that yr was the first yr I remember watching the SB with the Vikings & the Steelers.

Psycho_X

Legend
See no reason to be high nor low on the Wendell hire. McVay giving a young up and comer a chance to prove himself. Sometimes that can lead to some impressive ideas in a league that is always looking for ways to change offensive approaches. There's really no place to go but up from 2022 lol.