Rams 2023 coaching changes

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
My point was the resume. That would be like noting a DL coach "coached" 3 time DPOY AD to his 4th DPOY award or pointing out Byron Leftwich coached 5 time SB Champ Tom Brady to his sixth title. Doesn't that strike you as "yeah, okay....without that stellar coaching it wouldn't have happened"?....as if that really had a lot to do with it.

Now if Baker Mayfield became league MVP with his new team, then we might want to acknowledge the OC or QB coach. Or if Taylor Rapp won DPOY. In other words, did Gronk need a TE coach to make the pro bowl?

Ask Mcvay why he got all those kudos as a TE coach? The point was that Gronk had his best season with CALIY.
Gronk won a Superbowl with Tampa.Don’t know who the TE coach was just to help make your case.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Doesn't really matter, from this vantagepoint Caley appears to be an upgrade just because he is familiar coaching Tight Ends, whereas, Thomas Brown had never coached them. On top of that other teams have interviewed him to be OC, I'm sure the Patriots felt pressure to hire a seasoned play caller & Bill O'Brien fit the bill plus the Pats to secure the hiring of O'Brien gave him power to hire other offensive assistants and he hired the guy that coached his TE's in Houston. So I look at it like the Rams caught a break with this hire.
Yes losing to O'Brien for OC is nothing to be ashamed of. He is a proven commodity there and Belicheat just suffered through a friend hire result so he wasn't taking any chances.

I suspect this will be a really good hire. He's got the coaching DNA from the Parcells tree via Belicheat which definitely should pay dividends in blocking. I'm really fucking tired of seeing our TEs getting thrashed on the edge maybe that changes a little now.

Also and btw: this is a very good TE class. Great year to go get one. So this hire may mean we'll be in the mix finally for a well-rounded type instead of the passhappy shitheads McVay favors. Sorry Sean but your taste in TEs and RBs sucks ass.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Doesn't really matter, from this vantagepoint Caley appears to be an upgrade just because he is familiar coaching Tight Ends, whereas, Thomas Brown had never coached them. On top of that other teams have interviewed him to be OC, I'm sure the Patriots felt pressure to hire a seasoned play caller & Bill O'Brien fit the bill plus the Pats to secure the hiring of O'Brien gave him power to hire other offensive assistants and he hired the guy that coached his TE's in Houston. So I look at it like the Rams caught a break with this hire.
I've got nothing against the guy......know nothing about him......am fine with ANYBODY McVay hires because he's a smart guy. My post was why pad the resume with something like, "he helped __________, a 4 time pro bowler make the pro bowl"? It sounds like resume padding.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I've got nothing against the guy......know nothing about him......am fine with ANYBODY McVay hires because he's a smart guy. My post was why pad the resume with something like, "he helped __________, a 4 time pro bowler make the pro bowl"? It sounds like resume padding.
Is it similar to taking over a Super Bowl winning team as Head Coach & leading that team to winning another Super Bowl that year like George Seifert did?

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Okay FWIW I would put that on my resume, LinkedIn and every other outlet. Again he coached a pro bowler to another pro bowl & it’s not like coaching him to his first, but it still needs to be mentioned IMHO.

Hopefully Caley can improve that group along with better blocking.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Why does TEs coach appear to be a stepping stone for OC, and why do the guys that coach it look like they've never blocked anyone in their life?
TE Coach is involved in all facets of the Offense, blocking (Pass & Run) plus receiving & running proper routes. The TE Coach works hand in hand with everyone else associated with the offense. In Caley's case, I'm hoping he will get involved in the run blocking schemes as the Ram TE's could improve in this area IMHO.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
At first glance don't know much about him but like the hire on paper. Kromers assistant former Pats OLineman.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
The Patriots were reportedly interested in Wendell as an OL coach, so I like the idea of the Rams beating them out for his services.
He's got a ring as a player and was voted team captain -- hopefully that translates into the leadership and culture traits McVay wants.
He was a 2 star college recruit and UDFA out of Fresno State - he knows what it takes to make it without having those top measurables/pedigree.

Also, he had 1 year with Nick Caley for familiarity, fwiw.

Yeah, sounds/looks good on paper.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hate to be a Debbie Downer about this hire but I really didn't like the Buffalo running game at all last couple of years. From what I could see there just weren't many holes at all not to mention Josh Allen was having to run all over the place to evade the pass rush.

Yeah, I know.....in McVay we trust and all, but I am wary about this hire.

~ArkyRamsFan~
Part scheme part personnel IMO. I get it not many people do like it that's the weakest spot on the team tbh. But hard for me to blame the assistant OL coach for that over the OC and the HC/GM for picking the players. They spent money on Saffold who got named as a pro bowl sub there there was a lot of this

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/AaronQuinn716/status/1617639169953763329

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Let’s hope it’s a lateral move and we hire Benton as the OL coach

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Hate to be a Debbie Downer about this hire but I really didn't like the Buffalo running game at all last couple of years. From what I could see there just weren't many holes at all not to mention Josh Allen was having to run all over the place to evade the pass rush. Yeah, I know.....in McVay we trust and all, but I am wary about this hire. ~ArkyRamsFan~
Hate to be a Debbie Downer about this hire but I really didn't like the Buffalo running game at all last couple of years. From what I could see there just weren't many holes at all not to mention Josh Allen was having to run all over the place to evade the pass rush. Yeah, I know.....in McVay we trust and all, but I am wary about this hire. ~ArkyRamsFan~

I guess you didn’t read some of the other post

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The Patriots were reportedly interested in Wendell as an OL coach, so I like the idea of the Rams beating them out for his services.
He's got a ring as a player and was voted team captain -- hopefully that translates into the leadership and culture traits McVay wants.
He was a 2 star college recruit and UDFA out of Fresno State - he knows what it takes to make it without having those top measurables/pedigree.

Also, he had 1 year with Nick Caley for familiarity, fwiw.

Yeah, sounds/looks good on paper.

Zak Kromer is still with The Rams as well,so another connection.