Rams 2023 coaching changes

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I am certain about one thing with Wendell; The dude can grow hair.
Ya Think?

63d9601ea9ee7.image.jpg

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Apparently, Belichick interviewed Wendell for his O-L Coach but went with another former-Pat Adrian Klemm.

Did just a little quick research to see why Belichick might have gone with Klem (I remember both as players ... Klemm was a high pick but Wendell a better player despite being undrafted).

Klemm is older, with more coaching experience but Wendell was described in one report as a 'key coach' for the Bills to retain (that was after the Pats hired Klemm but before the Wendell-to-Rams-report)

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
There were a few interesting quotes from a Bills article.
[heavy.com]
"Wendell is now a rising coach within the Bills organization, first joining Sean McDermott’s staff as a coaching assistant in 2019 before being promoted to assistant offensive line coach the next year. He remained in the position after the Bills made a change to the position group, moving on from previous offensive line coach Bobby Johnson after his contract expired at the conclusion of last season and instead hiring Aaron Kromer."

"Wendell was a strong candidate for New England’s job...The Patriots announced that they hired former Oregon assistant Adrian Klemm for the job, reuniting him with new offensive coordinator Bill O’Brien and allowing the Bills to keep a key member of their staff for a position in need of upgrades."

"The interior of the Bills’ offensive line was a weak point at times, especially in the playoffs where the Miami Dolphins set a franchise record with seven sacks in the Super Wild Card round. The Cincinnati Bengals also hounded Allen in Buffalo’s divisional-round loss."

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The Patriots were reportedly interested in Wendell as an OL coach, so I like the idea of the Rams beating them out for his services.
He's got a ring as a player and was voted team captain -- hopefully that translates into the leadership and culture traits McVay wants.
He was a 2 star college recruit and UDFA out of Fresno State - he knows what it takes to make it without having those top measurables/pedigree.

Also, he had 1 year with Nick Caley for familiarity, fwiw.

Yeah, sounds/looks good on paper.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Apparently, Belichick interviewed Wendell for his O-L Coach but went with another former-Pat Adrian Klemm.

Did just a little quick research to see why Belichick might have gone with Klem (I remember both as players ... Klemm was a high pick but Wendell a better player despite being undrafted).

Klemm is older, with more coaching experience but Wendell was described in one report as a 'key coach' for the Bills to retain (that was after the Pats hired Klemm but before the Wendell-to-Rams-report)
Wendell worked with Aaron Kromer,father of Zak Kromer who has been with Sean Mcvay from the start.
He also was a team Captain for the Pats.
I also bet that close to his time with new Rams TE’s coach Nick Caley as well? Just to add why Wendell was the better choice for The Rams.

Nick also if you look at the time,dates & connections is Nick Caley sort of got screwed last season by Belacheat for the OC job & his pencil neck(HC) was put ahead of Caley. Nick was also interviewing with Belacheat for the OC Job & Wendel was probably of his guy than O’Brien.
I’brien & Belacheat seemed to have aced Nick Caley out of NE by hiring a new TE’s coach.
—Belacheat probably had a wire tap on Caley & knew he was talking with Mcvay?

However it all went down you could make a case Sean Mcvay did good & got his energizing coaching staff!!! We’ll see more FIRE from the Rams OFFENSIVE STAFF in OTA’s(practices).

With the OC hire is excellent,because it GROUNDS Mcvay & will help him stays for a few extra Seasons!! If not then it will be wait for it

Wait for it. Wait for it.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Raheem Morris for all The Haters!! Mike speaks very highly of him as well as Sean Mcvay

Tano

Legend
Part scheme part personnel IMO. I get it not many people do like it that's the weakest spot on the team tbh. But hard for me to blame the assistant OL coach for that over the OC and the HC/GM for picking the players. They spent money on Saffold who got named as a pro bowl sub there there was a lot of this

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/AaronQuinn716/status/1617639169953763329

Boy - Saffold looked like Bobby Evans on that play. He is normally a much better blocker than that.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Report: Rams hiring Bills' Ryan Wendell as new O-line coach​

Sean McVay is beginning to fill out his coaching staff for the 2023 season. With Kevin Carberry out as the Los Angeles Rams’ offensive line coach, McVay needed to find a replacement.

According to Dan Graziano of ESPN, the Rams are hiring Ryan Wendell as their new O-line coach. Wendell, who played eight years in the NFL with the Patriots and Panthers, has been the Bills assistant offensive line coach since 2019, his first coaching opportunity.

Wendell is just 36 years old, so this is another young hire by McVay. Mike LaFleur, the Rams’ new offensive coordinator, is just 35 years old, too.

The Rams also had an interview set up with John Benton, who was formerly the Jets’ offensive line coach. But they’re going with a different AFC East candidate by hiring Wendell.

During his NFL career, Wendell played 80 games, starting 49 of them. He was primarily a center, so he has a good grasp of the entire O-line operation and the offense as a whole.

He went to Fresno State and was undrafted in 2008 but signed with the Patriots. He spent his rookie year on the practice squad and most of his second season there, too, but he played 15 games in 2010 and became a full-time starter in 2012.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Sean McVay is beginning to fill out his coaching staff for the 2023 season. With Kevin Carberry out as the Los Angeles Rams’ offensive line coach, McVay needed to find a replacement.

According to Dan Graziano of ESPN, the Rams are hiring Ryan Wendell as their new O-line coach. Wendell, who played eight years in the NFL with the Patriots and Panthers, has been the Bills assistant offensive line coach since 2019, his first coaching opportunity.

Wendell is just 36 years old, so this is another young hire by McVay. Mike LaFleur, the Rams’ new offensive coordinator, is just 35 years old, too.

The Rams also had an interview set up with John Benton, who was formerly the Jets’ offensive line coach. But they’re going with a different AFC East candidate by hiring Wendell.

During his NFL career, Wendell played 80 games, starting 49 of them. He was primarily a center, so he has a good grasp of the entire O-line operation and the offense as a whole.

He went to Fresno State and was undrafted in 2008 but signed with the Patriots. He spent his rookie year on the practice squad and most of his second season there, too, but he played 15 games in 2010 and became a full-time starter in 2012.

Appears the Bills fans are really happy from their comments.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Both John Benton & Wendell had connections with Rams new hires .

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Hate to be a Debbie Downer about this hire but I really didn't like the Buffalo running game at all last couple of years. From what I could see there just weren't many holes at all not to mention Josh Allen was having to run all over the place to evade the pass rush.

Yeah, I know.....in McVay we trust and all, but I am wary about this hire.

~ArkyRamsFan~

Keep in mind, he was just the assistant OL coach, Aaron Kromer was above him and thus bears more responsibility for their line and any issues they have.

I'll take a wait and see approach with Coach Chewbacca.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Appears the Bills fans are really happy from their comments.
I love the NFL. It's exhausting for fans. Highest of Highs vs. Lowest of Lows.

If your team is bad, you just want them to be competitive, play meaningful games after Thanksgiving.

If your team is competitive, you want them to go to the playoffs.

If your team is a playoff-caliber-team, you want them to go to a Super Bowl.

And, if your team is a Super Bowl contender, you want them to win a Lombardi Trophy.

If you are fan long, enough (with few exceptions) you have probably experienced all-of-the-above.

Fans of Super Bowl contenders often have it tougher than many would expect. If your team is really good and close, it's exciting and fulfilling. However, if your team is a Super Bowl contender for 3-5 seasons, and does not reach one, or fails to win one, it quickly becomes stressful; and fans/media start to ask What's Wrong?

Rams fans of the 1970s know this from first-hand-experience.

That's the Buffalo Bills right now. Really good but many could argue that they have under-achieved over the past four seasons. They are not built to be really good. They are built to go to and win a Super Bowl. Their fans will (maybe have) start pointing fingers and looking for reasons for their team not doing even better.

The Niners and Cowboys are in that situation. The Bengals could be this time next year. Baltimore is kind of there. John Harbaugh won a Super Bowl but I don't think there's a single Raven player around that was on that championship team. The Packers were there, and would still be there if Rodgers returns.

Hell, if the Chiefs lose on Sunday, my guess is that there will be some Chiefs' fans who will start to wonder if their team has done enough. Five straight AFC Championship games, three Super Bowls and one Lombardi (again, assuming they lose on Sunday) would seem like plenty of success for anyone ... BUT ... those two AFCCG losses were brutal Overtime defeats; and it's painful to reach a Super Bowl only to lose.

The NFL will kick the crap out of you if you are a player ... and ... if you are a die-hard-fan.

Last edited:

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I love the NFL. It's exhausting for fans. Highest of Highs vs. Lowest of Lows.

If your team is bad, you just want them to be competitive, play meaningful games after Thanksgiving.

If your team is competitive, you want them to go to the playoffs.

If your team is a playoff-caliber-team, you want them to go to a Super Bowl.

And, if your team is a Super Bowl contender, you want them to win a Lombardi Trophy.

If you are fan long, enough (with few exceptions) you have probably experienced all-of-the-above.

Fans of Super Bowl contenders often have it tougher than many would expect. If your team is really good and close, it's exciting and fulfilling. However, if your team is a Super Bowl contender for 3-5 seasons, and does not reach one, of fails to win one, it quickly becomes stressful; and fans/media start to ask What's Wrong?

Rams fans of the 1970s know this from first-hand-experience.

That's the Buffalo Bills right now. Really good but many could argue that they have under-achieved over the past four seasons. They are not built to be really good. They are built to go to and win a Super Bowl. Their fans will (maybe have) start pointing fingers and looking for reasons for their team not doing even better.

The Niners and Cowboys are in that situation. The Bengals could be this time next year. Baltimore is kind of there. John Harbaugh won a Super Bowl but I don't think there's a single Raven player around that was on that championship team. The Packers were there, and would still be there if Rodgers returns.

Hell, if the Chiefs lose on Sunday, my guess is that there will be some Chiefs' fans who will start to wonder if their team has done enough. Five straight AFC Championship games, three Super Bowls and one Lombardi (again, assuming they lose on Sunday) would seem like plenty of success for anyone ... BUT ... those two AFCCG losses were brutal Overtime defeats; and it's painful to reach a Super Bowl only to lose.

The NFL will kick the crap out of you if you are a player ... and ... if you are a die-hard-fan.
Yeah, expectations can be crazy at times. It used to drive me nuts back in the GSOT days when the media would get all over the Rams when they won a close game....If they didn't blow a team out there must be something wrong.

And this year they were quick to jump on McVay with the "boy genius" remarks and asking what was wrong.

So yeah, expectations often take the fun out of being a fan when your team is among the best, but can also make a Cinderella story make you feel great.

I am a big Villanova basketball fan. Their titles in 85' and 16' were amazing.

Their win in 18' where they steamrolled everyone was not nearly as memorable or fun, yet that was by far the best team they ever put on the court. So that kind of makes the point on how expectations shape your view of a team's accomplishments or disappointment's.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Yeah, expectations can be crazy at times. It used to drive me nuts back in the GSOT days when the media would get all over the Rams when they won a close game....If they didn't blow a team out there must be something wrong.

And this year they were quick to jump on McVay with the "boy genius" remarks and asking what was wrong.

So yeah, expectations often take the fun out of being a fan when your team is among the best, but can also make a Cinderella story make you feel great.

I am a big Villanova basketball fan. Their titles in 85' and 16' were amazing.

Their win in 18' where they steamrolled everyone was not nearly as memorable or fun, yet that was by far the best team they ever put on the court. So that kind of makes the point on how expectations shape your view of a team's accomplishments or disappointment's.
Agree but the 1999 and 2021 Rams won the Super Bowl. Later criticism was (is) annoying.

The teams I listed have won a ton but no Lombardi; and their fans could look at their teams, despite all the winning, as failures. That’s brutal.