Raiders at Rams - Preseason Game 2

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I thought tutu has been actually impressive. Routes werent bad he gets separation pretty easy. He keeps taking a licking and keeps on ticking. Since first hit by Samuel last week and he just springs right back up with those skinny legs. He reminds me of Tigger!!! I see him only improving when surrounded by more talent as well as when he gets some experience.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Interesting. Just three years ago Higbee and Everett were staples of the Ram offense. I remember them well from the infamous 100 point game. Those were the only two I knew until tonight when I saw Harris. Dude is an interesting player.
Everett is gone and Higs is TE1. The guys drafted the few years before Harris in Blanton and Hopkins haven't shown much at all.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought tutu has been actually impressive. Routes werent bad he gets separation pretty easy. He keeps taking a licking and keeps on ticking. Since first hit by Samuel last week and he just springs right back up with those skinny legs. He reminds me of Tigger!!! I see him only improving when surrounded by more talent as well as when he gets some experience.
I may be being picky but it seems like he goes down at first contact but the speed is undeniable.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Same goes for the RB's. Our offense, once you get beyond a few guys among the starters, is soft. Well, not really soft but not physical. Our receivers are route running, smart good hands guys but not physical. Higbee is physical but beyond him? The OL will have to play meaner this year IMO.

That Akers injury is really starting to concern me. I hope this offense isn't too finesse this season.
Agreed. Finesse is a big fear. Usually that means you go home early in the playoffs.

I'm worried about depth at this point too. We need another RB and probably a returner.

TexasRam

Legend
It doesn't have to be. When we drafted him, I tried to tell people that Tutu is raw. He's not a refined route runner at this stage. What the guy has is world class speed and agility. Those are two things Koski and Akers don't have. And those are two traits that will play when the starters are on the field.

Tutu has developing to do, and I'm concerned about his ability to stay healthy, but he's a much better talent than guys like Koski and Akers. Keep in mind that there's a very large difference between separating against practice squadders and camp fodder playing in vanilla defenses and guys like Darious Williams and Jalen Ramsey.
I get your point, and its well taken. But there are as many busts of world class speed guys as there are the little Edelman and Welker types. Tutu will serve a role. We need to stretch that feild and I expect him to run a bunch of jet sweeps etc. But the sad part to me is some of these peripheral guys that didn't get drafted high may be gems, but we will probably never know. If Tutu ends of the next Tavon Austin or Donnie Avery and one of these guys end up a Colt Beasley that would be a shame.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Tutu does separate better than Tavon did. But I think him missing that time in the offense means he's limited in what he can do. IMO his head is spinning right now.

Last year Jefferson got a ton of reps through camp and he said his head was spinning. This is a tough and demanding offense for wideouts. IMO Tutu's gonna be a year two impact, and if not then he's probably a bust.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Xavier Jones, JAG
Calais, JAG
Anderson, JAG
Funk, JAG

I do think Funk is worth developing. I'm not knocking the Rams or these players either. Akers/Henderson is a solid pair so expecting these depth kids to be special is unrealistic.
Our running game will be very questionable this year. Can Hendo stay healthy? Doubt it, but if he does we'll be okay. But the Akers loss was HUGE. He is arguably the most talented player on our offense.

That loss is why I've slammed every prop bet for Stafford yardage totals in 2021. I got a 4,400 in the last month or so and bet huge. Its a virtual lock. 17 games this year plus no Akers means Stafford will throw for around 5,000 yards. I'd say 4,700 is guaranteed if he plays all 17.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I may be being picky but it seems like he goes down at first contact but the speed is undeniable.

He does but playing with better people around him especially the way our wideouts block will make him elusive. I hear you though but we knew he was tiny I still think he has a feistyness that we will see. I don't think he is tavon 2.0 lol. He has a lot to learn yet.

MachS

Hall of Fame
A lot of people hating on Tutu for getting knicked up. He stayed in the game and took some big hits the last 2 weeks so you can't question his toughness. And like it or not, he gets separation on his routes. Better route runner than I thought. And he makes tough catches in traffic. A few catches the last couple weeks were contested and that is something that stood out in his college film. Small stature but strong hands. We need to evaluate him with Stafford and I suspect he will surprise some people. Of course I wish he added another 10lbs of muscle but he should gain weight throughout the season with a pro weight program and nutrition plan.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Perkins is getting cut unless he beats out Wolford. He goes to practice squad. They are not keeping 3 QBs. Which ever guy doesn't get claimed heads to the PS.

I could have sworn teams can keep a 3rd qb on the team without counting on the numbers. Or is that just on gameday, doesn't count to the game day numbers?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I get your point, and its well taken. But there are as many busts of world class speed guys as there are the little Edelman and Welker types. Tutu will serve a role. We need to stretch that feild and I expect him to run a bunch of jet sweeps etc. But the sad part to me is some of these peripheral guys that didn't get drafted high may be gems, but we will probably never know. If Tutu ends of the next Tavon Austin or Donnie Avery and one of these guys end up a Colt Beasley that would be a shame.
I think everybody is looking for the next Welker and Edelman. I'm not saying that Koski and Akers suck. They've had impressive moments. But I am saying that it's a lot easier to shine as a surehanded WR when you're playing vanilla defenses staffed by practice squad and camp fodder. Remember Nelson Spruce?

Being completely frank with you, I'll put a lot more stock into what our coaches and front office decide. Practices are going to tell us more than games. You get to see guys like Koski and Akers against our top DBs in practice. If they're shining against those guys, it means something.

jjab360

Legend
Yeah, I remain on the "we need another HB" bandwagon. Jones and Funk don't seem like guys who can carry the load if Hendo gets hurt. And Funk looked completely lost on blitz pickups tonight.
Why did they audible him so close to the line of scrimmage? It was a pretty obvious call to just blitz on the opposite side of the line where it was impossible for him to reach the free rusher. I can't say that's his fault, the schematics just looked strange on those plays imo

oldnotdead

Legend
Perkin's passes were consistently late not just to Tutu but others as well. He was late like Goff often was because he's taking longer to make his reads. The difference between Perkins and Goff is that Perkins can escape times when Goff could not. Perkin's timing will improve with experience and coaching.

Perkin's deeper throws must improve upon his inconsistent accuracy. That should come with experience (i.e. improved timing, and faster reads) and improved mechanics.

Garrett is showing why the Rams took him. He is going to probably bump Okoronkwo off the roster. Garrett lacks long speed but has shown a good first step something lacking in Okoronkwo on a consistent basis. In two years Garrett could be a very good rotational edge. If Garrett continues to impress it gives Morris the option to play Lewis in rotation with Floyd to keep both fresh. This would give them Hollins, J. Williams, and Garrett.

Jonah Williams has shown versatility playing both on the edge and inside. His speed and strength are apparent and he's only going to get better. His problems right now are technique related so those are correctable issues.

Alaric Jackson continues to impress and he's going to make this roster. Anchrum needs to improve his run blocking. But blocking from the RT position is different if he were move inside to RG. It's clear the Rams have their swing OT in Jackson for next year so I would love to see them move Anchrum inside which would give them a true rotational player at both RT and OG.

Carberry's influence is showing as the second unit OL is playing better as they get positions ironed out. Shelton has looked better than he ever had under Kromer. Evan's is a work in progress but he's worth the effort. Brewer continues to struggle but all his missed time is showing. Brewer looks like a PS candidate right now. It looks like 9 on the OL right now with Meredith, Evans, and maybe Brewer going to the PS. With the emergence of Jackson and Antrum the need depth-wise is at OG and Meredith is probably a better OG right now than Brewer simply because he's built like a C/OG and it's his normal position.

LT Whitworth
LG Edwards
C Allen
RG Corbett
RT Havenstein
Swing OT Noteboom *
C/OG backup Shelton *
Backup OT A. Jackson
Backup OT/OG Anchrum *

* Gameday active

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'm loving the camp battle taking place between Eric Banks & Jonah Williams. I was worried about replacing Morgan Fox, much less so after watching these guys over the last two weeks. This is going to be a barn burner right to the end.
And my god, who scouts Concordia College St. Paul and calls Chris Garrett's name out to Les Snead & Co. ? What a find for pick # 252 of the 7'th round. Send that man a bottle of his favorite anything ...

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I don't understand why people are dogging him about getting nicked up in the game. He was targeted around 20 times and kept coming back. Tough little dude.

How many times will he get targeted that many times in a real game? Zero times. Some people just like complaining.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I haven’t watched the game yet due to late start time… this was a great read to start my morning.

Tired Good Morning GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Five takeaways from Rams' 17-16 preseason loss to Raiders​

INGLEWOOD, Calif. – While the Rams fell to the Raiders 17-16 Saturday night at SoFi Stadium, the playmaking displayed by the Rams' young defensive players, extensive playing time for quarterback Bryce Perkins and running back Jake Funk, and kicker Matt Gay's multi-faceted role were among the notable observations.

Here are five takeaways from the contest:

1) Young players on defense step up.

Defensive backs J.R. Reed and Brontae Harris each came up with interceptions; Reed's led to the Rams' first points of the game. Outside linebacker Chris Garrett also had a memorable sequence in the second quarter where he registered a 6-yard tackle for loss, 1.5 sacks and a pass break up – all on the same series.

2) An extensive look at Bryce Perkins.

Perkins got the start at quarterback and played the entire game, finishing 26 of 39 for 208 yards with two touchdowns against one interception, also rushing nine times for 41 yards. He led the Rams on three scoring drives, the third and final one in epic fashion with a six-yard scramble on fourth-and-five to keep the drive alive and end it with a 2-yard touchdown pass to tight end Jacob Harris.

While the ensuing 2-point attempt was unsuccessful, Perkins' overall performance was an admirable and gutsy one.

3) Jake Funk gets the start at running back.

After Xavier Jones started at running back in the preseason opener, it was Funk's turn to do so in Week 2. He rushed for a team-high 56 yards on seven attempts. He also looked agile and explosive, breaking off runs of 12, 14 and 19 yards during Saturday's game.

4) Double-duty for kicker Matt Gay

With punters Corey Bojorquez and Johnny Hekker placed on the Reserve/COVID-19 list earlier in the day, Gay stepped up as the Rams' emergency punter, handling those duties in addition to kickoffs and field goals.

Gay averaged 42 yards per punt on four punts and had touchbacks on three of his four kickoffs. He made 1 of 2 field goal attempts; the second – a 43-yard attempt – was blocked, though by that point in the game he was probably exhausted.

5) Wide receiver Tutu Atwell stands tough.

It was a busy night for Atwell, who caught 8 of 13 targets for 46 yards and returned a punt. He got banged up a couple of times and had to get his ankle taped amid all that activity, but said afterward that he was fine and had "no injuries."

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Rams’ Bryce Perkins, running backs show more in loss to Raiders​

INGLEWOOD — The Rams expected to have Bryce Perkins and Duck Hodges split time in Saturday night’s preseason game against the Raiders, as the candidates for the team’s third quarterback job did last week against the Chargers.

But after Perkins started the game, he wouldn’t stop.

Allowed to go all the way at SoFi Stadium, he gave the Rams everything but a victory. Perkins’ two-yard touchdown pass to tight end Jacob Harris brought them within a point with 15 seconds to go. But a pass for two points fell incomplete.

The Rams are 0-2 after losing to the Raiders, 17-16, in front of 68,834 (tickets distributed).

“It feels good,” Perkins said of his own performance. “You kind of get a rhythm and things seemed to click on that drive. I just wish we could have come up with that last one.”

Perkins accounted for 56 yards passing and 18 scrambling on the 76-yard final drive, running to convert a third-and-6, a fourth-and-1 and a fourth-and-5 play.

He finished with 208 yards, a touchdown and an interception on 26-for-39 passing, adding 41 rushing yards on nine carries.

With starting quarterback Matthew Stafford and second-stringer John Wolford sitting out preseason games along with most Rams regulars, Perkins is competing to serve on the Rams practice squad for a second year or to impress another team that might pick him up.

“Unbelievable job, just battling throughout,” said Rams coach Sean McVay, who left Perkins in to see if he could bounce back from an interception, and then saw him build momentum. “It’s exciting. I was really pleased just with his poise, his command and composure throughout the course of the game tonight.”

It was exciting, too, for Rams running back Xavier Jones, who might be Perkins’ best friend on the team.

“Just seeing him get in that rhythm and lead us down there was incredible,” Jones said. “I had complete confidence in him. I knew he could make plays.”

Jones liked his own performance, too, as he and rookie Jake Funk showed evidence that one or the other can handle the role of No. 2 running back behind Darrell Henderson.

Jones showed moves and bursts of speed, gaining 41 yards on nine carries, not to mention 30 yards on two eye-catching touches that were wiped out by Rams penalties.

Funk stayed on his feet tenaciously on his way to 56 yards on seven carries, including a 19-yarder and an early 12-yarder on which he broke two Raiders tackles.

The bad news for the Rams was that Raymond Calais hurt an ankle, likely to require surgery for the third man in the backup-running-back competition and the leading candidate to return kickoffs and possibly punts.

Non-medically speaking, the Rams were hurt by 10 penalties, most of them by the offense.

The defense kept them in the game, as it did in the 13-6 loss to the Chargers the Saturday before.

Rookie outside linebacker Chris Garrett, a seventh-round draft pick, had a good first half, also forcing a fumble by quarterback Nathan Peterman that the Raiders recovered.

Rookie nose tackle Bobby Brown III, a fourth-round pick, had a big play too, powering through Raiders center Nick Martin to throw running back Trey Ragas for a 3-yard loss.

Back to the offense.

A lot of the focus was on the Rams’ ground game a week after the second-unit running backs and corresponding offensive line combined to averaged 2.8 yards per rush in the preseason-opening loss to the Chargers.

They quickly showed improvement.

This was important to see because given Henderson’s own injury history, the second-string running back could play a vital role in 2021.

Each of the in-house candidates is 23 and hasn’t seen his first NFL regular-season carry.

Jones and Funk, listed as co-second-stringers at running back on the Rams depth chart, are fueled by memories of injury setbacks.

Injuries cost Jones scholarship offers from bigger college programs, and he settled for a career at SMU, where he led the nation with 23 rushing touchdowns as a senior. That wasn’t enough to get him drafted. The Rams signed him as a free agent in 2020.

“I always say I should have been drafted, but I can’t dwell on that too much,” Jones said last week. “I feel like God don’t make no mistakes. He put me here for a reason. I’ve always had to, I use the phrase, ‘get it out of the mud.’ It’s just a mentality, that chip on my shoulder. I’m ready to perform, ready to show my talent.”

Funk had two knee operations in college at Maryland, and hasn’t played a full season since 2017, one reason he dropped to the seventh round in last April’s draft before the Rams grabbed him.

“It’s a lonely place (rehabbing injuries),” Funk said when he reported for his first Rams training camp. “I competed with myself day in and day out. A lot of people counted me out throughout the process: ‘He’s injury-prone,’ things like that. I just continued to block that out. I’ll let the results speak for themselves.”

The results looked better Saturday than the Saturday before.

The day didn’t begin well for the Rams. In the morning, they announced that both of their punters, Johnny Hekker and Corey Bojorquez, had been placed on the Covid-19 reserve list.

Kicker Matt Gay, who punted in high school in Utah, wound up doing double duty in the game.

His short punt out of the end zone set up a Raiders mini drive to a Ragas touchdown dive, but a field goal by Gay and a touchdown pass by Perkins to tight end Kendall Blanton made it 10-7 at halftime.

The Raiders (2-0) went ahead 17-10 midway through the fourth quarter on a 29-yard pass from Nathan Peterman to wide receiver Marcell Ateman.

Then came the drive by the Rams and Perkins and didn’t win them a game but might have won him a job.

McVay said a plan will come for who’ll play quarterback in the Rams’ last preseason game next Saturday against the Broncos in Denver.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Rams' play vs. Raiders not the only positives, and preseason defeat not the only loss​

Starters do not play in preseason games for the Rams, a policy coach Sean McVay has adopted and adhered to so he can keep key players healthy for the start of the season.

But controlling COVID-19 issues is a tougher task.

On Saturday, hours before the Rams kicked off against the Las Vegas Raiders at SoFi Stadium, they placed punters Johnny Hekker and Corey Bojorquez on the reserve COVID-19 list.

Kicker Matt Gay handled those duties, and he was one of several Rams who made positive impressions in a 17-16 exhibition defeat.

Rams quarterback Bryce Perkins’ two-yard touchdown pass to tight end Jacob Harris with 15 seconds left pulled the Rams to within 17-16. But his two-point conversion attempt to Harris fell incomplete.

“I thought that was a resilient effort by our guys,” McVay said.

Last season, the first played with virus protocols, the Rams placed several players on the COVID-19 list. But no starters missed games.

How long Hekker and Bojorquez remain sidelined will be determined in coming days. The Rams play the Denver Broncos next Saturday in a final preseason game, and they open the season Sept. 12 against the Chicago Bears at SoFi Stadium.

Hekker, a four-time Pro Bowl selection, is the NFL’s highest-paid punter, carrying a salary-cap number of $4.9 million this season. The 10th-year pro is coming off a 2020 season that he acknowledged was below his standard.

After the Rams signed Bojorquez during the offseason, McVay said Hekker was the punter and that there was not a competition for the job. But Hekker has said he regards every drill, workout and game as a competition.

In last week’s 13-6 loss to the Chargers, Hekker averaged 45.5 yards for two punts. Bojorquez also punted twice, averaging 43 yards and placing one inside the 20-yard line.

McVay said the situation with the punters “escalated quickly” during Saturday morning’s walkthrough.

“There was a chance that we thought that Johnny might have it, and then when it was confirmed that he did, then Corey ended up being a close contact,” McVay said.

On Saturday, Gay averaged 42 yards for four punts, including one from the end zone. Gay also kicked a 36-yard field goal near the end of the second quarter to give the Rams a 10-7 lead, but his fourth-quarter attempt from 43 yards was blocked, setting up the Raiders’ game-winning touchdown.

If Bojorquez returns from the COVID list and performs well, and Gay emerges as a viable backup, would the Rams part ways with Hekker, their longest-tenured player and one of team’s most respected players?

Saturday’s game marked the third time in four days the Rams and Raiders shared the field — their joint practices on Wednesday and Thursday at the Rams’ Thousand Oaks training facility featured numerous scuffles — as rookies, undrafted free agents and other players trying to make the rosters focused on impressing coaches.

Rosters must be trimmed to 80 players by Tuesday. They will be cut to 53 players by Aug. 31.

Perkins, running back Xavier Jones and outside linebacker Chris Garrett all had their moments Saturday.

Perkins, competing with Devlin Hodges for the No. 3 role behind Matthew Stafford and John Wolford, played the entire game. He completed 26 of 39 passes for 208 yards and two touchdowns, with an interception. He also rushed for 41 yards.

“I was really pleased with just his poise, his command and composure throughout the course of the game,” McVay said.

The “flow of the game” led to the decision to let Perkins take every snap, McVay said.

“We just kind of had a feel for it during the course of the game,” he said. “Wanted to give him that opportunity, and we’ll see what that looks like for next week.”

Said Perkins: “It was kind of just drive by drive. He’d come up [and say] ‘You’re still going.’ I was just ready when he told me that. Just stay locked in throughout the game.”

Jones showed signs that he might be a capable backup for Darrell Henderson, rushing for 27 yards in five carries during the first half. He would have enjoyed an even better performance had several runs and receptions not been nullified by penalties. He finished with 29 yards rushing in seven carries. Jake Funk rushed for 56 yards in seven carries.

Garrett, a seventh-round draft pick from Concordia-St. Paul, made a big impression in the second quarter. He tipped a pass that was intercepted by defensive back J.R. Reed and also forced a fumble on a sack.

Defensive back Brontae Harris also intercepted a pass that set up Gay’s 43-yard field goal attempt early in the fourth quarter. Raiders lineman Darius Philon deflected the kick wide left.

The Raiders took advantage, quarterback Nathan Peterman connecting with receiver Marcell Ateman for a 29-yard score and a 17-10 lead.

Etc.

Running back/kick returner Raymond Calais suffered a foot injury that will require surgery, McVay said. ... Receiver Tutu Atwell caught eight passes for 46 yards. ... Tight end Kendall Blanton caught a touchdown pass. ... The Rams were penalized 10 times for 84 yards. ... Rookie defensive lineman Bobby Brown III, a fourth-round pick, made a huge stop in the first quarter, shedding one blocker and pounding a running back in the backfield.