Raheem to ATL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Belichick would probably be a good DC. He gets along pretty well with McVay.
After 20+ years as being a rigod head coach who didn’t have to change his ways at all, I think it would be a very difficult adjustment for Belichick to try to fit into an entirely different culture.

But if it brought us a great defense then bring it on!

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
you can get an idea of what teams run what

red is a lot above average
pink slightly over average
white is basically average
light blue is below average
blue is a lot below average

2024-01-25_19-27-59.jpg

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Isn’t a big part of the reason that so many teams play more zone than man coverage due to the fact that there are fewer corners capable of playing man, and it’s easier to find corners suited for zone?
I think so. Playing man requires top athleticism, and instict. I think Dallas plays the most man coverage in the league, and its at or less the 40%. You can still press in zone coverage.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
I think so. Playing man requires top athleticism, and instict. I think Dallas plays the most man coverage in the league, and its at or less the 40%. You can still press in zone coverage.
I don;t know full numbers -- cover-1 is around 25% but in match there are man calls -- MEG, man everywhere he goes. MOD, which is a hybrid, Man outside and deep ... so if the #1 receiver cuts to inside it's no longer his man.

Man is simply dangerous. It can work but there are so many man-beaters that defenders can be had. Crossing routes, pick plays, go routes... balls can be thrown up and you can get a PI ... those things are just factors to be considered.

You can give up a slant as easily in man as in zone. Depends on a lot of things. Understanding defense is not easy. It's hard
0cd8890c-71e9-4bfd-a757-a02df9533e45_text.gif

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
After 20+ years as being a rigod head coach who didn’t have to change his ways at all, I think it would be a very difficult adjustment for Belichick to try to fit into an entirely different culture.

But if it brought us a great defense then bring it on!
I figure he wouldn't go for it. I just threw it out there for shits and giggles.
He does seem to get along pretty well with McVay though.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I'm hoping Morris does well as a HC, he really appears to be a great guy. From what I'm reading Falcon fans are not happy about this.

They're probably thinking of how things turned out the first time Raheem was a HC. But guys can grow. Look at Belichek, he sucked with the Browns but did, shall we say, a little better with the Patriots. And Raheem has been working under the best HC in the league that last few years.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Rumor is he was a backstabber in NY...went to press behind Dabol's back... Kind of a Buddy Ryan type, if you are old enough to remember. A real loose cannon. I don't see McVay wanting to deal with that.
I hadn't heard that but it fits now that I think about it.
Yeah, Shula has been here a long time and you gotta think that unless he is content as a position coach, he either gets elevated or leaves for somewhere where he can get a promotion.
He's McVay's old college roommate/teammate. I don't know if he'd be comfortable making him the DC. But who knows.
I never could form an opinion on Morris. I kept flip flopping. Until this year. He proved he is a good DC. He did a great job with very limited assets. Will be a good HC? I don't know. And was he a good enough DC to prefer him to two 3rd round draft picks? No chance. He's replaceable. You could do worse. But you could also do better. And I am cautiously optimistic the Rams brass will actually find an upgrade this off-season.

Lots of fans calling for Staley to return. I'd prefer a differnet direction but could live with that.
He's not a great DC. He's a great leader and communicator. He got virtually the same results with the young group as he did with Ramsey & Co. So there's two ways to look at it. Maybe he under achieved with the vets and over achieved with the rookies. It does appear anybody who plays for the guy, loves him and would probably run through a brick wall for him. That's what makes him a great choice for Atlanta.

oldnotdead

Legend
Good for Raheem. Hopefully things go better for him the second time around. He's had exposure to offenses prior to coming to LA but now he can see what works and what doesn't with a system like McVay's.

The 2 third round comp picks are big, especially this year. Three day two picks can be big. CB, OT, Edge. RB or WR would seem to be likely.. I didn't like his philosophy as a DC but I certainly don't begrudge him a shot as a HC especially in exchange for 2 third round comp picks.

I'd be very surprised if Pleasant wasn't promoted to DC with Lake taking over as DB coach. Regardless, this adds to the anticipation for the start of next season.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I don;t know full numbers -- cover-1 is around 25% but in match there are man calls -- MEG, man everywhere he goes. MOD, which is a hybrid, Man outside and deep ... so if the #1 receiver cuts to inside it's no longer his man.

Man is simply dangerous. It can work but there are so many man-beaters that defenders can be had. Crossing routes, pick plays, go routes... balls can be thrown up and you can get a PI ... those things are just factors to be considered.

You can give up a slant as easily in man as in zone. Depends on a lot of things. Understanding defense is not easy. It's hardView attachment 64108
Idk, it's pretty easy from my couch.

Agreed.
I got those numbers from the Athletic pod, probably when they were previewing the GB vs Dallas game. Looking at Cody's chart it's slightly less.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think he likes bringing outside experience and knowledge in.
It's just a darn shame. I thought Aubrey Pleasant had a real shot to become our DC when Raheem was hired out of left field a few years back. Aubrey left for a while and came back, looking for a chance to advance, I am sure.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Good for Raheem. Hopefully things go better for him the second time around. He's had exposure to offenses prior to coming to LA but now he can see what works and what doesn't with a system like McVay's.

The 2 third round comp picks are big, especially this year. Three day two picks can be big. CB, OT, Edge. RB or WR would seem to be likely.. I didn't like his philosophy as a DC but I certainly don't begrudge him a shot as a HC especially in exchange for 2 third round comp picks.

I'd be very surprised if Pleasant wasn't promoted to DC with Lake taking over as DB coach. Regardless, this adds to the anticipation for the start of next season.
Two 3rds next yr is big as well since they might be QB hunting, at least for a guy to groom for a yr or two behind Stafford. I still think Stafford could play through 26', but getting a guy in 25' would make sense. A Jordan Love type situation.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It's just a darn shame. I thought Aubrey Pleasant had a real shot to become our DC when Raheem was hired out of left field a few years back. Aubrey left for a while and came back, looking for a chance to advance, I am sure.
Guessing he'll be in ATL with Raheem. If McVay is going to hire a new DC then it might mean some roles get changed or coaches get axed so some of these guys might get his blessing to head south.

sloramfan

Starter
honestly... this blows me away

been a morris detracor and began last year and this year to see the light... he's not as bad as i thought...

kind of torn now, because i sure as hell don't want to see the rams regress...

oh boy...

what a start to the offseason....

buckle up ramfans! IT"S ON!!!!!!

go rams

slo

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
And if we had NextGen we'd probably get a 3rd set of numbers
Question is how different would there numbers be. I don't know what data set Tice/Mays were using but Cody's chart (PFF) has them at 35.4% man coverage. It's possible they used the same data and exaggerated it to 40.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Question is how different would there numbers be. I don't know what data set Tice/Mays were using but Cody's chart (PFF) has them at 35.4% man coverage. It's possible they used the same data and exaggerated it to 40.
good question and I don't know for sure... seems possible

Status
Not open for further replies.